The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 February 2017, 01:26 AM   #1
mfer
"TRF" Member

I'm surprised by this...declining jobs - watchmakers

Top 15 declining jobs in per Glassdoor. I know it isn't perfect but surprised by 15 being watch repairers.

We see a decreasing trend among a few brands regarding good after sales service. I see many negative posts regarding Patek, Panerai, & IWC as examples.

https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/15-jo...dangered-list/

15. Watch repairers
Job Description: Repair, clean and adjust mechanisms of timing instruments, such as watches and clocks. Includes watchmakers, watch technicians and mechanical timepiece repairers.
BLS Projection: Loss of 25.7% of jobs from 2014-2024
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 01:35 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
well the swiss industry profit is dropping hard. sales keep going up due to increased prices. with the advent of smart watches etc i can see it hampering on demand for swiss luxury watches not named rolex.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 01:36 AM   #3
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Not really surprising. There has been a decline of skilled laborers for quite some time. Regarding watches, mechanical movements are such a small percentage of the overall market. Yes, there are millions out there, but it's a small amount compared to quartz, smart watches, etc. It sucks for us, because this is going to lead to higher repair costs and longer wait times.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 01:55 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

Isn't this American focuses job data? Thus a decline is not attributable to large scale layoffs at Swiss manufacturing but a decline of existing watchmakers in the USA. Surprising considering an extra 800 000 Rolex alone come onto the market each year which is another 100 000 p.a. Incremental increase in services per annum.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 02:19 AM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

I'm hit quite hard by it, I'm looking for a place to do my second internship, several places turned me down, including A. Lange & Söhne.
I'm confident that I will get a good place somewhere but it takes time and I must accept to be disappointed at pretty much every application I send.

Hard times...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 02:20 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'm hit quite hard by it, I'm looking for a place to do my second internship, several places turned me down, including A. Lange & Söhne.
I'm confident that I will get a good place somewhere but it takes time and I must accept to be disappointed at pretty much every application I send.

Hard times...
I'm sorry to hear this Bas.

How many more years are required?
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 02:54 AM   #7
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

I blame social media and reality TV. My generation is plagued by fantasies and unrealistic goals. People see how a select few clowns (rich ones) live and focus their life and trying to do the same thing. Engineers, mechanics, pilots, etc. All of these fields are suffering because people want more glamorous work.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 02:57 AM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I'm sorry to hear this Bas.

How many more years are required?
School until November, then a 120 work days internship. My graduation is July 2018.

Fortunately I have a friend in the US who has some very powerful connections in the business, hopefully this could be of use
Old 28 February 2017, 03:18 AM   #9
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
watchmakers don't service or work on smart watches, plus many younger people have no use for a watch with their phone surgically attached to thier hand
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 03:46 AM   #10
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
...Regarding watches, mechanical movements are such a small percentage of the overall market. Yes, there are millions out there, but it's a small amount compared to quartz, smart watches, etc. It sucks for us, because this is going to lead to higher repair costs and longer wait times.
A key insight here. ^^^ In addition, there will probably be fewer experienced 'independent' RSCs over time to service vintage-era timepieces with a keen eye towards preservation rather than the more expedient (and oftentimes easier) replacement approach regarding older (and oftentimes salvageable) watch components.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 04:55 AM   #11
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

Hard times...
Would you consider moving to the US? I'm sure your prospects of becoming a watchmaker would be much better as opposed to Europe.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 05:40 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerachrom12 View Post
Would you consider moving to the US? I'm sure your prospects of becoming a watchmaker would be much better as opposed to Europe.
Yes, it is definitely an option.