The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 January 2014, 05:58 AM   #1
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Squale 1545BR Review with pics.

This watch is a Submariner homage no doubt about it, that's what I liked. It sort of reminded me of a Tudor Submariner. I love the blue bezel and the sunray dial is beautiful especially in the daylight.

The 1545BR is a 40mm watch powered by a ETA 2824-2 movement with a 42hr power reserve that's very accurate. Since I've had it it has been -3 seconds. Not too shabby.

The bracelet is a SS 20mm brushed with a flip lock closure with solid end links with a divers extension & screw in links making it easy to size the bracelet. It is very comfortable on the wrist.

The case is made from 316L stainless steel with a screwdown crown & caseback and a water resistance of 200 meters.

The crystal is a domed sapphire with no Cyclops giving it a nice clean look.

The indexes are lumed with C3 superluminova which makes it very bright in the dark. The PIP on the bezel could have been done better. It looks cheap.

The bezel is uni-directonal with 60 clicks.

The weight feels just as heavy my rolex sub although I didn't weigh it.

After wearing the Squale 1545 BR for a week I am quite impressed. The watch is well made and has received quite a few compliments since I bought it. For under $500.00 it would be hard to find a watch that's a swiss made automatic with a ETA 2824 movement that looks as nice as this watch does.

If you're looking for a good everyday watch with the looks of a submariner give the Squale 1545 a try I think you'll be impressed also.

I give it 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex & Squale Jan 12 2014 006.jpg (42.0 KB, 988 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex & Squale Jan 12 2014 007.jpg (39.7 KB, 976 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex & Squale Jan 12 2014 008.jpg (40.0 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex & Squale Jan 12 2014 009.jpg (43.9 KB, 973 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex & Squale Jan 12 2014 010.jpg (42.3 KB, 967 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex & Squale Jan 12 2014 004.jpg (44.0 KB, 968 views)

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Looks like a nice piece, and Squale have an interesting history

Tempted to pick up one of these myself...
Old 9 February 2014, 02:38 AM   #3
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Looks like a nice piece, and Squale have an interesting history

Tempted to pick up one of these myself...
Go for it Clive. I think you'll be impressed at what a fine watch it is.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 9 February 2014, 03:58 AM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Go for it Clive. I think you'll be impressed at what a fine watch it is.
Thanks Chuck, the black dial 'maxi' version (pic below) is tickling my fancy. Here is some Squale history, borrowed from the Gnomon Watches web site...

Squale Watches

Squale is a small familiar Italian company located in Milan that has been producing watch parts for watch companies since 1946.

In 1967 this small factory is associated with The Neuchâtel Von Büren SA.

As partners sponsors of Maria y Giuliana 'Jolly' Treleani (triple world champion of apnea, 1965, 1966 y 1967),who became holder of the Apnea freestyle record to 31 meters in 1965, beating Hedy Roessler, and did so again to 35 meters in 1966 and to 45 meters again in 1967.

Unfortunately, Treleani passed away in December 1971 in a car accident at the age of 26 years old.

Even so, her record of 45 meters free Apnea was maintained for 15 years until Patrizia Maiorca beat it in 1982 to 50m.

Squale sponsored the French team of "Chasse Sous-Marine", Tony Salvatori, France Champion in 1967, of Spearfishing, and Jean Tapu. And Cuba's national team of submarine fishing. Champions in 1967 and 1968.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5BdU83K7k

In the first part of the video above, a shot can be seen of the Treleani fishing
but she could not compete. At that time women cannot compete officially, it wasn’t allowed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke0SINqsAXU

After the championships, from 1967 to 1974 Squale dedicated themselves to the supply of cases and watch components together with C. Von Buren to numerous independent Swiss brands.

His trademark was Squale and allowed other companies to use the case and its reputation but with the obligation to show the Squale logo on the dial.

In the 70's Squale introduced the first 1000 meters diver watch with sapphire crystal and with a revolutionary bezel that will only move under elastic pressure, rotating in both directions.

Squale continued to produce for other brands and has begun providing watches in a non-official way to special corps of many armies including the paratroopers of the Folgore Italian Sub The Carabinieri, and the division of the Italian Navy.

Squale for decades has become synonymous with quality and reference point of diving watches worldwide.

Super, Master, Medium, and 1000M cases, were sold to brands such as Altanus Genève, Arlon, Potens Prima, Prima Flic, Jean Perret Geneva, Ocean Diver / Blandford, Deman Watch, Margi, Berio, Eagle Star Genève, La Spirotechnique, Wertex, Carlson Tavernier Geneva and Sinn.

500m Cases with crown at 4 were sold to brands like Airin, Dodane, Blancpain, Tag Heuer, Doxa, Zeno and Auricoste. Just to name a few...

Zeno lately but more in particular Tag Heuer, Doxa and Auricoste in their Spirotechnique versions and Blancpain in the Bund 3H.

These gave Squale the international prestige in the early 70s.

Thanks to the commercial success. In 1974, Squale decided to market their own watches as an independent entity, with their own cases, and now alone with Squale name on the dial.

The relaunch of The Squale brand in February 2010 and its new production in Grenchen in the Swiss Jura valley portend an exciting future for the brand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Squale1545Maxi2L.jpg (81.4 KB, 909 views)
Old 9 February 2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

I really like the maxi dial but I'm torn between that one & the 1545 classic. Marc at Island Watch where I bought my Blue ray said they should be back in stock in March.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 23 February 2014, 03:36 AM   #6
Toones
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch love the blue
Toones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 03:01 PM   #7
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Great looking watch, never heard of them, i like the older style painted on markers.

Will only be a matter of time until the "anti-design theft" crew chime in LOL

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 04:54 AM   #8
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Icon9

IMO I think that Squale is better than Steinhart because the Steinhart case lugs are more straight than curved. Both use ETA 2824 movements. Squale has SEL's while Steinhart doesn't. Price is comparable for both. Squale has a better cyclops. Both copy the submariner and are great everyday watches. Lastly Squale can be purchased right here in the USA.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 4 August 2014, 11:06 PM   #9
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Thanks for the review, Chuck. On your opinion, I ordered the 1545M (Maxi-dial). I have to say, it is probably one of the nicest watches I own. It has a true magnifying cyclops, ETA 2824-2 automatic movement, screw down crown, sapphire crystal, and very nice deployant bracelet with screw links, and is Swiss made. I have seen other divers that were no where near this nice for twice the money. This is probably one of the better values available. I really like this watch. Thanks, Chuck.
Old 9 October 2014, 01:41 AM   #10
ssultan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Thank you, was on the steinhart web-site today after seeing a members recent acquisition. Now will go check out Squale too...thinking of buying a second daily beater to give my SKX009 a break ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
IMO I think that Squale is better than Steinhart because the Steinhart case lugs are more straight than curved. Both use ETA 2824 movements. Squale has SEL's while Steinhart doesn't. Price is comparable for both. Squale has a better cyclops. Both copy the submariner and are great everyday watches. Lastly Squale can be purchased right here in the USA.
ssultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2016, 01:34 PM   #11
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just received my Squale Blueray and thought I'd share some initial thoughts:

I've owned many sub homages and derivatives but this seems to be the best made of the lot.

I also had a Steinhart Ocean 1 but this is so much better in terms of case finish and bracelet. Dial lume is also better here. Domed crystal is also very nice. Bezel action is very stiff on mine tho. Dial logos seem redundant, however.

*Lume pip got lost so I remedied it by filling the hole.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
Old 29 April 2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just received my Squale Blueray and thought I'd share some initial thoughts:

I've owned many sub homages and derivatives but this seems to be the best made of the lot.

I also had a Steinhart Ocean 1 but this is so much better in terms of case finish and bracelet. Dial lume is also better here. Domed crystal is also very nice. Bezel action is very stiff on mine tho. Dial logos seem redundant, however.

*Lume pip got lost so I remedied it by filling the hole.

Looks great, congrats
Old 30 April 2016, 11:35 PM   #13
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Looks great, congrats
Thanks! Definitely glad this became available.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
Old 11 August 2016, 01:19 AM   #14
Mattldm
"TRF" Member

Sorry to revive an old thread... But I have been looking at the Squale 1545 for a while now. I generally wear larger watches but I really love the Rolex Sub and GMT. I recently got the spousal approval for a Rolex and I want to make sure the smaller size isn't going to bother me if I spend $6-8K on a watch. So my questions, the Squale size and shape looks to be similar to the 5 digit subs correct? So it would actually wear smaller than the current model subs or GMt's?
Thanks
Mattldm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2016, 12:19 AM   #15
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Yes the case on the new ceramic subs are slightly larger.The Squale is the same size as my Submariner. For the money you can't beat a Squale. I love the 2 that I have.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day