The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2014, 08:09 AM   #31
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinIt View Post
I enjoy this thread. I'm 44% up on twtr! I don't know how much room this stock has to run. I recently sold aapl, kmp both did very well for me.
I think you get $60 out of it near term, if it can get through that number it maybe re-test 75-80 with some luck and patience..
Old 29 August 2014, 08:16 AM   #32
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Everyone is a genius in a bull market.
Old 29 August 2014, 08:17 AM   #33
CCCSTYLE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Agree with that statement
Old 29 August 2014, 02:33 PM   #34
lamscott
"TRF" Member

Agreed
Old 29 August 2014, 04:16 PM   #35
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 216570 Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalserenity View Post
Excellent thread idea. My recommendation to anyone new to the world of stock trading would be to read, read, and then read some more. I'm always blown away when I come across someone dumping $75k into a single stock, without understanding the difference between a market, limit, or stop limit order.

Second tip: Learn about options. Using call and put options are an incredibly good way to hedge your positions. Also, they're mighty fun.

Seeking Alpha is a good website, also, I recommend the Motley Fool. They have excellent podcast / radio shows and a great YouTube channel.

Adamlea, learn the "greeks." When you look at a stock, learn how to quickly read the EPS, Alpha, Beta, and 52-week range. Those will give you some idea of health. They're much like a human's vital signs. Just because someone has a perfectly reasonable heart rate, blood pressure, and SpO2, doesn't mean that they're healthy. :)
Great advice - you've given me some things to think about. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to hone my approach.

I primarily sold naked puts last year. Plus some covered calls. Did very well with IOC, LINE, and some others. Got burned - badly - with IOC as well. I haven't learned how to do spreads yet, but I'm going to have to build my reserves back up before I can get back into options. I felt like I needed to file an order of protection from abuse and talk to a counselor after I got thoroughly violated by the tax man this year.

I used to read Seeking Alpha (SA) regularly, but now I only read it occasionally. Last year, SA posted an article about a CEO of a company I had sold puts on who, according to the post, was being indicted for sundry SEC violations. Predictably, the underlying tanked and my gains evaporated. I traced the source back to an unsubstantiated Tweet that had been posted on another financial blog. I haven't fully trusted SA since. The whole thing reminded me of that scene from Oliver Stone's Wall Street where Bud Fox calls a financial reporter from a pay-phone with the cryptic message: "Blue Horseshoe loves Andicott Steel"

It seems like so many secondary sources are susceptible to spin - a la The Wolfe of Wall Street. So, it seems to me that company financial data and technicals are the best things to look at.

What is a qualified account? What is a SIPP plan? And can you trade with these types of accounts? How do you avoid getting raped on capital gains? I pose these questions in the most general sense. I'm a self-employed civil rights attorney with LLC. Civil rights cases being what they are, my draws are irregular. As such, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about how to make smart trades and how to keep more of my income - that's why I'm curious about qualified accounts and SIPP plans.
Old 29 August 2014, 08:36 PM   #36
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Very true, as is it's sister corollary: A rising tide lifts all ships.
Old 29 August 2014, 11:25 PM   #37
locutus49
Banned

Of course I am guilty of selling stocks too soon. I just sold out of major positions in Berkshire Hathaway and Apple, both at their all time highs, with the plan of buying them back during the next dip/correction/whatever. But both stocks continue to nudge upwards.

Oh well. I'm hoping Apple performs as it always has and drops after the upcoming product release. Always a good entry point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Very true, as is it's sister corollary: A rising tide lifts all ships.
Old 29 August 2014, 11:42 PM   #38
azguy
Banned

GoPro up another $2.75, 5.5% today
Old 29 August 2014, 11:58 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
GoPro up another $2.75, 5.5% today
Yep, it's easy to buy, it's always tougher to know when to sell
Old 30 August 2014, 12:26 AM   #40
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Trading is sometimes fun.

Investing for the amateur is less fun and more work.

But either way, the best way to make money in financial instruments is to be the one who is paid whether markets are up or down - i.e., be the guy in the middle handling the buys/sells/etc. They get paid regardless

Seems we retail clients are flying biplanes while the HFT pro's are piloting spaceships - and beat everyone to the punch most times.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 30 August 2014, 12:28 AM   #41
locutus49
Banned

The time to sell is when people on a Rolex forum are giving out stock tips.
Old 30 August 2014, 04:15 AM   #42
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yep, it's easy to buy, it's always tougher to know when to sell
As an example, Feather out, gains are never bad...sell 25% after a 10% gain, 25% after a 20% gain and 25% after a 25% gain, keep remaining 25% for home run. Or develop your own system to maybe hold longer, it's about discipline and not being greedy.

Here's today screen shot, 14 up, 1 down..

20140829_111126_resized.jpg
Old 30 August 2014, 06:03 AM   #43
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49
Of course I am guilty of selling stocks too soon. I just sold out of major positions in Berkshire Hathaway and Apple, both at their all time highs, with the plan of buying them back during the next dip/correction/whatever. But both stocks continue to nudge upwards.
Same thing happens to me. I can't time it correctly, but I always looked on the positive side. I made money in the stock. GOOG and AMZN were my stocks I sold too early.
Old 30 August 2014, 08:20 AM   #44
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:

Oh well. I'm hoping Apple performs as it always has and drops after the upcoming product release. Always a good entry point.
I do this too but in the end my decision is gut. Sure, "maybe" I could have skimmed a bit more, but mostly, when you get that feeling to ride to peak, one gets burned.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 30 August 2014, 08:49 AM   #45
locutus49
Banned

SO true. Some famous investor once said he got rich by selling too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I do this too but in the end my decision is gut. Sure, "maybe" I could have skimmed a bit more, but mostly, when you get that feeling to ride to peak, one gets burned.
Old 30 August 2014, 09:40 AM   #46
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
I gave you guys GoPro yesterday, it's up $3.35 today that's 7.25% to $48.82...

People think this will be the "must have" holiday gift..
Old 30 August 2014, 09:43 AM   #47
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Some famous investor once said he got rich by selling too early.
Awesome, love that!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 30 August 2014, 10:03 AM   #48
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SO true. Some famous investor once said he got rich by selling too early.
In the option world our saying is, No such thing as a bad sale, just an early one.
Old 30 August 2014, 10:24 AM   #49
locutus49
Banned

New one to me, but I don't do options. Long only. Just shows the different facets of stock investing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilly8982 View Post
In the option world our saying is, No such thing as a bad sale, just an early one.
Old 30 August 2014, 11:49 AM   #50
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Does anyone here do day trading? Long term value investing?
Old 30 August 2014, 12:27 PM   #51
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
I love this kind of threads. Everyone is happy as their portfolio is up and still holding on for more profits, and yet noone is taking money out of their original investment in case the market goes belly up eg: gfc crisis.
Remember everyone that no profit is s profit unless the shares are sold. Paper profits are a nice way to boast about, however, be smart and take profits.

That's my only advise!

Old 30 August 2014, 04:06 PM   #52
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlo View Post
awesome, love that!

+1

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 31 August 2014, 02:45 AM   #53
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Feather out, gains are never bad...sell 25% after a 10% gain, 25% after a 20% gain and 25% after a 25% gain, keep remaining 25% for home run. Or develop your own system to maybe hold longer, it's about discipline and not being greedy.
Great idea. Common sense, but I never thought about doing it that way. Usually, I just close a position altogether.
Old 31 August 2014, 03:21 AM   #54
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlea View Post
Great idea. Common sense, but I never thought about doing it that way. Usually, I just close a position altogether.
No, feather out and lock in gains along the way, you can set it how ever you like...ie...25, 35 & 50%, or 10, 20 and 30%, just be disciplined.

If people are looking to play the "drone revolution" here's a $12.5k portfolio to capitalize on what is the next big thing in technology. Buy a 100 shares of each.

INVN
IXYS
AMBA
GPRO
Old 1 September 2014, 02:29 AM   #55
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
I don't think it's so bad to talk about equities on this forum. You would think people who have enough wealth to purchase expensive watches would probably have investments in stocks and real estate.

I'd be more concerned if servers in restaurants were giving out stock tips.
Old 1 September 2014, 08:02 AM   #56
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
I scalp on a daily basis and have been focused on 30 Year bonds (/ZB). Aways shorting...

Unless the volume comes back into the derivatives markets in the next couple of weeks, then I would be very nervous to stay long. We're at record highs with almost record low volume. Liquidity has gone down....something is up.
Old 1 September 2014, 11:51 PM   #57
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
I scalp on a daily basis and have been focused on 30 Year bonds (/ZB). Aways shorting...

Unless the volume comes back into the derivatives markets in the next couple of weeks, then I would be very nervous to stay long. We're at record highs with almost record low volume. Liquidity has gone down....something is up.
The big hitters have been in the Hamptons partying the summer away, volume will be back now that summer is over
Old 2 September 2014, 06:13 AM   #58
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, feather out and lock in gains along the way, you can set it how ever you like...ie...25, 35 & 50%, or 10, 20 and 30%, just be disciplined.

If people are looking to play the "drone revolution" here's a $12.5k portfolio to capitalize on what is the next big thing in technology. Buy a 100 shares of each.

INVN
IXYS
AMBA
GPRO
Thanks again - on both counts.
Old 2 September 2014, 06:15 AM   #59
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Exactly. Methinks volume will be back in the 2nd week of Sept.

Quote:
The big hitters have been in the Hamptons partying the summer away, volume will be back now that summer is over
Old 2 September 2014, 06:50 AM   #60
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
I like this topic and thread... Still BULLISH on ASPX! Made a lot of $'s in/out several times... Good trading volume, some large investor groups are in and progress is looking Good. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=335846

Take a look, do your research and all the best to my TRF investing buddies!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Closed Thread