The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2016, 08:20 AM   #1
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Hello Breitling experts, please help me identify

This chronograph. I'm trying to find more information on it but am having no luck. I believe it to be new, but I do not see it on the Breitling website. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I've never seen that dial before and I would have thought either a "Code Yellow" or "Black Steel" search would have given me something...but I got nothing.

It is an Avenger bezel, and generation 2 dial and second hand ....might be a boutique model.
Spartacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 12:28 PM   #3
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Good clues, I'll keep searching. Thank you very much. Kinda new to the Breitling world.
Old 19 December 2016, 01:04 PM   #4
71truck
"TRF" Member

On the case back there should be some reference letters and numbers. It usually starts with a letter. The letter is the case materiel or finish. Then the numbers reference movement, COSC certification, model type, and so on. There is a website for this but I don't know if I am aloud to mention it.
71truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 01:47 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Looks like a Breitling Super Avenger II.

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch...enger_287.html

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 02:48 PM   #6
JacksonStone
Banned

I agree with HogwldFLTR that it appears to be some sort of SAII. Being in blacksteel with yellow accents, it's probably one of many LE offerings Breitling likes to put out. Without a model number, it can be difficult to know exactly which one it is, unless a true Breitling expert stops in, or someone just happens to have that exact model and can ID it for us. You might try asking over on Breitlingsource. In the meantime, try Googling with terms like "Super Avenger II," "blacksteel," "yellow" and "LE" to see what you come up with.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 10:45 PM   #7
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

I agree about it looking like the Avenger II. I'm just surprised I can't find additional info from Breitling website or anywhere else for that matter.
This is great information. Thank you guys for helping me solve the mystery.
I'm going to try and get the model number and additional info.

What do you guys think of the look? I'm guessing it's 48mm btw.
Old 19 December 2016, 11:40 PM   #8
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Well the link I provided has a Breitling Forum associated with it so you might try posting on that forum. My guess is that its size would be standard for the model at 48mm, fwiw. Also because of the pointed timer second hand it's a newer model version as the older ones would have had squares on the end of the hand.

-Lee

Old 20 December 2016, 05:14 AM   #9
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexguy View Post
I'm just surprised I can't find additional info from Breitling website or anywhere else for that matter.
That's further indication it's a limited edition piece. Breitling only shows current offerings on their website. They also used to show recently discontinued models if there was a good chance ADs still had stock on hand, but I don't know if they do that anymore. Either way, they won't continue to show models that are likely only to be found on the aftermarket. Breitlingsource.com has the most complete listing of models I've found, but it's tricky for them to keep up with all of Breitling's various LEs; they do a lot of them. It's easy to lose track.

As for size, it should be the same as the standard SAII. Breitling's LEs usually are just modifications of finish (often blacksteel) and color scheme, and occasionally bracelet or strap. It's rare they would re-engineer the case or the movement. (The current SuperOcean Heritage Chronoworks LE is a notable exception.)
Old 20 December 2016, 07:39 AM   #10
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks again for those responses. I believe it to be a limited edition. I still want to keep digging and will check out the other forums.
As far as the look, what do you guys think? This would be my first Breitling and it's not as easy as my Rolex purchases have been.....but I do think it's very attractive. What say you?
Old 20 December 2016, 10:10 AM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks again for those responses. I believe it to be a limited edition. I still want to keep digging and will check out the other forums.
As far as the look, what do you guys think? This would be my first Breitling and it's not as easy as my Rolex purchases have been.....but I do think it's very attractive. What say you?
Very nice, I'd say it's a bit large for my wrist. I wear a 42mm SuperOcean Steel Fish which I'm actually wearing today. Similar watch but smaller and no Chronograph. I like it quite a lot.

Old 20 December 2016, 01:08 PM   #12
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

I like the Super Ocean. Regarding the Avenger 48mm, I've got a pretty large wrist so I think I can go for it. Just wondering now how durable the Black steel actually is.
Thanks for responding.
Old 20 December 2016, 03:58 PM   #13
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
As far as the look, what do you guys think?
Super Avengers are MASSIVE watches. It takes a certain person to pull them off, requiring a combination of fairly large frame size (which translates into large wrists), and enough chutzpah to feel OK wearing a wrist-borne appliance in public. They're not my thing at all, but that's coming from a guy with a 6 1/3 inch wrist. I can't even really pull off a Chronomat 44; a 41 is more my speed. The SA is completely out of court for me. You may feel differently, but I would definitely recommend trying one on first (even if it's not the same version), or at least having the option to return it without penalty should you buy it sight unseen.

Also, be aware that the Avenger line is a mid-tier line in Breitling's lineup. Unlike Rolex, which puts the same level of finishing on all their watches, with Breitling, you can definitely see the difference in finishing and detail when comparing higher and lower-tier lines. To get into Rolex-level finishing with Breitling, you need to be looking at the Chronomat line or higher. That isn't to say the Avenger line is junk; all of Breitling's watches are of a fairly high quality standard. But the Avenger line is seen as more purpose- and function-driven. The Avengers also don't feature in-house movements, and accordingly cost less than the Chronomats and Navitimers.

I can't speak to how the blacksteel holds up, as I've never had it. I know there has been commentary on that matter on Breitlingsource. I just can't remember what they said. You can probably find threads on it if you dig around there. Otherwise, just ask, and someone there will probably have the answer.
Old 20 December 2016, 11:30 PM   #14
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for that thorough information. It fits me well and I'm a big guy. I like it but I take spending 5 grand seriously. I hate wasting money and even though you're not supposed to think about resale value, I do. I don't buy as investments per se, I just know that my tastes change and if I want to trade someday, I hate thinking about taking a bath....these are all my issues.
Bottom line is, this Breitling looks great and fits me well but I'm concerned about the DLC coating and since it's not the top line chronometer, it also has a lower value. I should probably buy used.
Thanks again for the great feedback.
Old 21 December 2016, 07:02 AM   #15
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I like it but I take spending 5 grand seriously...I should probably buy used.
Breitling's resale is not the best. For instance, the in-house Chronomat Airborne (latest edition) retails at over $9k on bracelet, but I've seen a number of them on the pre-owned market with an asking price of less than $5k. Even when new, Breitlings can be had for a pretty good discount. I wouldn't buy a new Breitling that wasn't substantially discounted, or I'd take a huge hit on resale. Buying used in good condition is the best way to maximize return on investment, although I suppose that's true of most brands. Since you're looking at an LE that would seem not to be currently available new, you might be going pre-owned by default.

Side note: if you do buy new from an AD, Breitling US will send you a gift (at least they used to). First purchases usually result in a Breitling baseball cap. I still have mine.
Old 21 December 2016, 07:41 AM   #16
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I'd buy this one before the Super Avenger if you want an all black watch.

https://www.govbergwatches.com/shop/...-mb012822be51/
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 08:31 AM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post

Good to see you, Justin. Good recommendation on the Navi.
Old 21 December 2016, 12:54 PM   #18
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Breitling's resale is not the best. For instance, the in-house Chronomat Airborne (latest edition) retails at over $9k on bracelet, but I've seen a number of them on the pre-owned market with an asking price of less than $5k. Even when new, Breitlings can be had for a pretty good discount. I wouldn't buy a new Breitling that wasn't substantially discounted, or I'd take a huge hit on resale. Buying used in good condition is the best way to maximize return on investment, although I suppose that's true of most brands. Since you're looking at an LE that would seem not to be currently available new, you might be going pre-owned by default.

Side note: if you do buy new from an AD, Breitling US will send you a gift (at least they used to). First purchases usually result in a Breitling baseball cap. I still have mine.

Thanks for your insight. That's cool that they give you a gift. I'm still thinking about it....can't stop actually.
Old 21 December 2016, 12:55 PM   #19
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post

Very good looking. A little busy for me re the dial, but that's the classic Breitling dial over info but in black. It's very nice.
I'll try one on.
Old 21 December 2016, 12:59 PM   #20
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Good to see you, Justin. Good recommendation on the Navi.
Good to hear from you again Jackson.

Back to the OP, I wouldn't even consider buying that unless you're getting at least 20% off. Even though the Blacksteel Super Avengers tend to retain some value, I'd just be 100% sure before buying it. From what I remember, the black steel can't be fixed if you get any nicks or dings in it, you'll just have to consider it "character."

If you're set on a blacksteel watch, I'd consider that Navi that I posted. It's not as rugged as the Super Avenger but it's an in house movement and may hold it's value slightly better than the Super Avenger.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2016, 01:28 PM   #21
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Hello guys. So I did end up buying the Super Duper Avenger II. This thing is truly a beast but I think my larger wrist allows me to pull off the 48mm case. So far I'm loving it. Thanks for all of the help and advice.
Happy holidays to you guys.

Old 26 December 2016, 06:57 AM   #22
JacksonStone
Banned

Congrats. What's the model number? I'm curious to look it up. Also, how did you end up tracking one down?
Old 27 December 2016, 01:59 PM   #23
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

It's model M133711A. I had seen the watch at a local AD but I couldn't find ANYTHING about the watch. Like, nothing on the Breitling website. Since, I have seen 1 little article on it and that's it. I know it's limited to 300 pieces, it's my first black steel and it humongous....also I'm loving it so far.