The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Lucky?? Judith Hill

I've always been fascinated by the concept of luck. And after decades on this planet I've come to the conclusion that almost everything "good" that happens to us comes down to luck.

This article is a story about Judith Hill. I first saw her in the documentary about Michael Jackson's last tour and she was a background singer who'd graduated and was scheduled to sing duets with Jackson during the tour.

Obviously a major career maker. Just before the tour, he died.

Then I saw her on the Voice and she didn't go far even though she was incredible. And my wife and I wondered what was the problem.

I didn't know about the Prince connection but the same thing happened as the Michael Jackson Tour, Prince died.

Anyways it's an incredible story about being so close you can taste it, then ....nothing. 'If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all" seems to follow her.

http://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/20/ar...&smid=em-share

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/artic...-a-black-widow

with michael jackson....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Hwp_xF_GY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd4UXi5n1V0

on the Voice...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXIqbp9TLU
Old 22 April 2024, 10:39 PM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've always been fascinated by the concept of luck. And after decades on this planet I've come to the conclusion that almost everything "good" that happens to us comes down to luck.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the basic premise here.

Certainly picking the correct parents can be considered luck, and that's probably one of the biggest influences to our future success, the values and goals set by the people that raise us. And money. Being born into economic security certainly helps more than being born into poverty, I think we can all agree. And in the correct country.

But other than that, you have to put yourself in the position so that you can recognize and take advantage of opportunities. If you don't take chances, put yourself out there; if you just wait for good things to happen to you, odds are that they will not.

I doubt that many of us here, most of us who are at least financially successful, did it by laying on the couch waiting for Ed McMahon to ring the doorbell. Yes, I know, some of you youngsters don't get that reference. Publisher's Clearinghouse lottery winnings.

Of course, some people just seem to have bad luck all the way around, and it appears that Ms. Hill might have some of that.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:03 PM   #3
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Hard work won’t guarantee you a thing, but without it you don’t stand a chance. I’ve found that those who overemphasize luck as a key to success in life tend to be those who are looking to explain away a lack of effort on their part.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:19 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the concept of luck but just don't know that it exists. Good things happen, bad things happen and most of the time it is just things happening.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:25 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m some where in between honestly.

I generally believe that hard work helps to create “your own lucky breaks”.

I realize that for some, hard work isn’t enough.

When I think about my own life, my lucky breaks in my career came from hard work, but certainly, I had my share of luck.

Meeting my wife was total luck and karma all rolled into one
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:36 PM   #6
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Hard work, being prepared, and making informed decisions create opportunities for success. While you may not always attain success in all your endeavors, you will continually have the opportunity to be successful if you put in the work.

Luck, good or bad, is often the mind’s attempt to rationalize success or failure when no other information is at our fingertips. Occasionally, chance does come into play, but the far and above most influential factor is preparation.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Nobody mentioned the article about her "journey".

Certainly not a slacker.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #8
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Hard work won’t guarantee you a thing, but without it you don’t stand a chance. I’ve found that those who overemphasize luck as a key to success in life tend to be those who are looking to explain away a lack of effort on their part.
Bingo. I could not disagree more the OP's statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like the concept of luck but just don't know that it exists. Good things happen, bad things happen and most of the time it is just things happening.
Agreed.

Where a person is in life is a culmination of their choices. The concept of luck is usually thrown out when a person doesn't want to take responsibility for their choices or actions.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Interesting debate. Financially, I’d say I’m unlucky; my industry was so badly affected by the Pandemic that it’s taken my business years to reach even 60% of its pre-pandemic Level. But, there have been choices along the way. In my personal life my bad luck (choice) was what eventually led to the best thing ever to happen when I met wife number 2! I guess I’m on the fence here!!
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #10
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Luck can happen to anyone as can bad luck
A grounding in hardworking can also help just in case luck never comes your way
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #11
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
For me luck comes down to making good decisions not so much hard work, of course being born into wealth gives you a good platform.

Finally I am a big believer in karma.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I’m really sorry so many had to work so hard to find a loving mate, to have a happy family life and work so hard to be healthy.

My career was just luck because I used my talent.

Like I said…..all luck.
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #13
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I was lucky to be born into a position where my family valued hard work and a good education AND had the financial ability to provide a great launching pad for me.

While I worked my way through college and law school (unlike many of my "luckier" friends), I was able to come out with minimal debt. From that point forward, my advancement was all about taking calculated risks that other "luckier" friends did not have to take as they had parental contacts into big law firms, corporations and government postings.

It has been the same thing in my personal life, I am "lucky" in the sense that I have a wonderful wife and life. However, the reason I do is that I had the guts to get out of less than ideal situations rather than continue to wallow in misery. I just shudder to think how many close friends and relations are in unfulfilling relationships just because they are too afraid to hope for anything better for themselves.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
For me luck comes down to making good decisions not so much hard work, of course being born into wealth gives you a good platform.

Finally I am a big believer in karma.
Now this makes me wonder …. Are karma and luck somehow linked?
Old Today, 02:07 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Now this makes me wonder …. Are karma and luck somehow linked?
I've often pondered the concept of karma and even reincarnation as to why some people get all the breaks and others just keep on struggling.

Is it because of a past life that someone like Judith Hill is either paying for past mistakes or is being tested in this life to see how she responds to her lack of successes.

Or is it all just random? I have no answers.

My wife and I have this saying we use about always doing good to other people as to why we have such good travel karma. We've never been rained out of 40 some visits to Hawaii. We've helped people with their bags, given other people our first class upgrades, etc etc. We always laugh about it....gotta get the good travel karma.

Who knows, it's probably all BS.
Old Today, 02:11 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've often pondered the concept of karma and even reincarnation as to why some people get all the breaks and others just keep on struggling.

Is it because of a past life that someone like Judith Hill is either paying for past mistakes or is being tested in this life to see how she responds to her lack of successes.

Or is it all just random? I have no answers.

My wife and I have this saying we use about always doing good to other people as to why we have such good travel karma. We've never been rained out of 40 some visits to Hawaii. We've helped people with their bags, given other people our first class upgrades, etc etc. We always laugh about it....gotta get the good travel karma.

Who knows, it's probably all BS.

Good thoughts, good words, good deeds. I think I’m a believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk