The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 March 2020, 03:51 PM   #31
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Damn! Sorry to hear OP. So many scumbags in the world.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 06:37 AM   #32
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasant71 View Post
Lesson learned, you know I have dealt with alot of great people in this community, avid collectors and not just in this hobby but others. And you get comfortable and then something happens. Its not an amount that will impact my life, thankfully, its more disheartening than anything else. But lesson learned.
Sucks for sure, and there are great people in this community, but also one of the highest scammed/ frauded items as well.....
Chopped54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 11:43 AM   #33
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Exactly right Jason. I would never wire money to anyone that didn’t have a brick and mortar store. It’s just not going to happen.
Please, don't throw all the responsible sellers here under the bus because they don't have a storefront. There are many responsible and trustworthy sellers on TRF without a storefront. Buyers need to be more diligent when making a purchase, just not here, but anywhere.

It is beyond me how anyone can spend their hard-earned cash on a purchase from a stranger without even making a simple phone call to confirm the details of a purchase and obtain some background info on the seller that can be readily verified.

And, to the op, I'm in Dallas, and if you need any help on your next purchase, contact me and I'll be more than happy to help. Just send me a private message here on the forum.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 11:49 AM   #34
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Please, don't throw all the responsible sellers here under the bus because they don't have a storefront. There are many responsible and trustworthy sellers on TRF without a storefront. Buyers need to be more diligent when making a purchase, just not here, but anywhere.

It is beyond me how anyone can spend their hard-earned cash on a purchase from a stranger without even making a simple phone call to confirm the details of a purchase and obtain some background info on the seller that can be readily verified.

And, to the op, I'm in Dallas, and if you need any help on your next purchase, contact me and I'll be more than happy to help. Just send me a private message here on the forum.
Not really sure how you came up with that. I didn’t throw anyone under a bus. I said I would never wire money to someone that didn’t have a brick and mortar store. Me, myself, I.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 12:03 PM   #35
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Please, don't throw all the responsible sellers here under the bus because they don't have a storefront. It is beyond me how anyone can spend their hard-earned cash on a purchase from a stranger without even making a simple phone call to confirm the details of a purchase and obtain some background info on the seller that can be readily.

This is totally right. So many amazing sellers on this forum. Buyers need to take most of the responsibility for their own well being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 12:17 PM   #36
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
OP, sorry to hear about your experience. i hate these scammers. It seems like soon, it will be impossible for any of us to sell anything.
and its this type of c#$% that drives people away from our hobbies.
It these classy posts that can also do that.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 12:35 PM   #37
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Better yet , I don’t care if the seller is the pope- NO wire transfers. AMx or Pp or both. If they aren’t willing, find another seller , pure and simple.Hope it turns out ok for you op.:-)

Not a lot of big sellers will allow PayPal or cc. It’s bank wire or nothing.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #38
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Not a lot of big sellers will allow PayPal or cc. It’s bank wire or nothing.

Ha! Any reputable seller will do AMX - they may ask you to pay the discount they pay and if the deal is good enough I will do that. If they refuse great! It’s nothing! I will never be sooo desperate to buy a timepiece that I will throw
caution to the wind and send them a box of 100 dollar bills before I even receive or see the piece to someone I have never met! Really are you crazy?? Btw, take a little survey w EVERY person who got scammed on this forum or had a piece come that wasn’t complete or as represented- I can assure you their won’t be one who doesn’t wish they had followed this rule. As a buyer , I don’t are how much the seller squeals or protests, I must protect myself - period !
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 01:57 AM   #39
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Ha! Any reputable seller will do AMX - they may ask you to pay the discount they pay and if the deal is good enough I will do that. If they refuse great! It’s nothing! I will never be sooo desperate to buy a timepiece that I will throw

caution to the wind and send them a box of 100 dollar bills before I even receive or see the piece to someone I have never met! Really are you crazy?? Btw, take a little survey w EVERY person who got scammed on this forum or had a piece come that wasn’t complete or as represented- I can assure you their won’t be one who doesn’t wish they had followed this rule. As a buyer , I don’t are how much the seller squeals or protests, I must protect myself - period !

You’re not really researching the seller then. You wouldn’t wire money to DavidSW? HQ? Takuya? The Pope? C’mon. Higher risk of getting killed by a TRex than losing money wired to these guys.

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 03:36 AM   #40
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
It these classy posts that can also do that.
what are you trying to say?
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:26 AM   #41
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I'm sorry OP, terrible feeling to get scammed
Old 16 March 2020, 05:21 AM   #42
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You are incorrect. Not “any” big seller. The mass majority, nearly all of them, will say no thanks. Nobody needs your business that bad.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 12:53 PM   #43
Watchie
"TRF" Member

This is Watchie

Hi, all. Very sorry to hear that the buyer was scammed. It appears someone hacked my account or otherwise was able to represent himself to be me.

I am taking steps to change my password, and hope that helps. I guess this is a lesson for all of us.

If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Jim
Watchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 01:13 AM   #44
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your loss, pasant71. I am going thru the same thing. See my thread "BOLO Sub no-date SCAM". If you finally find what you are looking for and the seller only takes wire transfer, you are between a rock and a hard place. If you look at the ads, you will see the majority only take wire transfer. Maybe an escrow arrangement would help. Although I've never bought from them, Chrono24 works that way.
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 05:22 AM   #45
DirtyJohn
"TRF" Member

Well I would also only accept a solid wire transfer.
Sellers can get scammed too, been there done that: it’s so easy to charge back a paypal transaction that you as a seller may easily end up without the money and without the watch.
DirtyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 10:14 AM   #46
pasant71
"TRF" Member

I spoke today via phone with the real Watchie. Good guy. Long time member. His account was hacked but it seems he is banned permanently. He should be allowed to rejoin in my opinion. I made a mistake too in not doing enough due diligence, phone call, etc before the transaction soured. Jim is a good guy.
pasant71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 10:21 AM   #47
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasant71 View Post
I spoke today via phone with the real Watchie. Good guy. Long time member. His account was hacked but it seems he is banned permanently. He should be allowed to rejoin in my opinion. I made a mistake too in not doing enough due diligence, phone call, etc before the transaction soured. Jim is a good guy.
Any phished accounts are temporarily banned to protect the rest of the forum from that member's carelessness in giving away their details. Watchie was given the following message with his account's ban notification: "phished account. Contact admin to get back in." If he can read, then he will know he is not permanently banned.
Old 24 March 2020, 10:31 AM   #48
pasant71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Any phished accounts are temporarily banned to protect the rest of the forum from that member's carelessness in giving away their details. Watchie was given the following message with his account's ban notification: "phished account. Contact admin to get back in." If he can read, then he will know he is not permanently banned.
Fair.

I do appreciate him reaching out. We visited by phone. Something he did not need to do but it was a good conversation.
pasant71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 12:12 AM   #49
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, PAM 111
I have to applaud you on sharing your unpleasant experience with the rest of us. Hopefully this will make TRF members less susceptible to future scams.

Still worth knowing the exact anatomy of the scam - it appears "Watchie"'s account was hacked and an item posted for sale using his account and good reputation - correct?

I also am an audiophile, and have bought equipment on Audiogon and US audio mart - an additional technique that helps me stay safe is to google the name of the person Im buying from or selling to - one is amazed at the info available about someone out there - I have walked away from transactions if the person's profile appears dodgy.
dieselophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 01:09 AM   #50
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselophile View Post
"Watchie"'s account was hacked and an item posted for sale using his account and good reputation - correct?
Watchie's account was not hacked. His details were phished .
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote