The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 November 2018, 12:36 PM   #1
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Smurf over time

I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the white gold blue sub. For folks that have had one for over a year, what are your overall impressions? Weight...comfort...versatility...visual appeal? I am drawn to this piece and the JC Deep Sea at the moment. With regards to the smurf, I would probably sell a couple pieces to narrow my collection. To be frank, I am wondering/hoping if/that the smurf would ease the near constant desire for another watch that seems to only be getting worse! I have had at one point or another most of the six digit sports models and still have a 5 digit pepsi (never parting with it) and a 16610. Thoughts?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
Don’t have a Smurf, but had a WG Daytona as my daily and have the latest JC Deepsea.

I find the white gold references very satisfying. Beautiful, with the added weight that I appreciate. Only sold my Daytona because an eye injury made it difficult to read.

The JC is my favorite of the entire line, for the technical aspects, unusual and beautiful dial, weight, comfort and size.

The Smurf is probably my second favorite in the line. And, I think consolidating from many to a few special pieces has merit. Did the same and am very happy with the result.

Try them both on and buy the one you’re still thinking about that next day. You really can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I loved my smurf but traded it. Got a good deal on it. Had it about a year. Wore very comfortably, and the blue worked with any attire. Still miss it. I suspect it will be back, someday. That blue is magnificent and it’s off the radar. For now, the WG BLRO works as the PM. Happy hunting! That’s the best part for me!

Old 30 November 2018, 01:33 PM   #4
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I think the constant hunt is part of the fun and the excitement is in looking forward to the next one. Too bad we cannot seem to truly appreciate one’s we have.

Grass is always greener...

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Have had mine for two years now--time flies. Still love it as much as the first day I bought it. In the right light and angles, the blue really is mesmerizing. Love the weight and the fit of the Sub, and the warmth of the white gold.

I've had many watches come and go but I think the white gold Sub will be the one constant. I highly recommend it if it is anywhere on your radar.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:18 PM   #6
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I think it's a great idea...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Chilly Coconut
Banned

One of my favorite song lyrics.....

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf, six hundred pounds of sin,
Was grinning at my window, all I said was "Come on in".
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:26 PM   #8
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I had a smurf for several years. Personally, I enjoyed the weight, but it is certainly a heavy watch and not for everyone. It stays under the radar in general, but anytime I wore it to tourist areas like cruises or the Caribbean, it received more attention than I was comfortable with. For me, I loved the look and feel, but it was just too much watch for me to comfortably wear on a daily basis, so it sat in the safe. I traded it last week for a couple of pieces that will get a lot more attention. It is a great watch, just boils down to what you are comfortable wearing.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:45 PM   #9
hdfb910
"TRF" Member

Great piece and one of my favorites. I have had mine for about 5 years of so. If I had to go down to just one watch, this might be the one. You have the pepsi if you want a lighter weight option some days.
It may ease the disire a little for a while but I don't think it will solve the problem of seeking "the next watch" but it is a very satisfying watch to have in the collection...
Patek Philippe 5711/1A-010, Patek Philippe 5170G, Patek Philippe 5227R, Audemar Piguet 15400or, Audemar Piguet 15707ce, Audemar Piguet 26331IP, Audemar 15500 Blue dial, Rolex Pepsi 16710, Rolex Sub 116619LB (Smurf) F.P Journe Platinum Chronometre Souverain, Old School Breitling SuperOcean A17360, Jaeger LeCoultre Geophysic Tru Seconds

Instagram: @donpedro_007
hdfb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:10 PM   #10
Amer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 116619LB
I've had mine for several years now and it's my favourite and a keeper. The WG and blue colour combo is just amazing.

I wear it everywhere and it's traveled all over the world with me. (Yes factoring situational awareness)

It is heavy but it wears well due to it's size. But I can see how it could bother some folks long term (the weight) IMO, a regular sub wears much better and super comfortable when compared to the smurf or pepsi, however I have no issues with mine.

Honestly you need to try one on and see if you like the weight. It's funny when I switched from my smurf to the Batman I thought it was fake, just not used to the lightness of non gold watches...Took awhile to get used to.

I also have several Sea Dwellers different yrs, and I'm used to the heft so if you don't wear heavy watches then you really should try before you buy.

One other advice, the WG is a scratch magnet. Just wearing it under the cuff gets you some small scratches. So if that is an issue for you (read OCD) then don't bother as it will drive you nuts. For me it was not an issue as I enjoy wearing mine everywhere.

Good luck with your decision.
Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:33 PM   #11
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
I had one for about 6 months. Loved the color of the diial and bezel and the luster of the white gold really differentiates from SS.

My issue was the fit. Even with the glide lock clasp i could never seem to get the fit right. I tried probably 6-8 different adjustments with links and micro adjustments and it was never what i wanted. Especially with the weight of the piece i found it very uncomfortable. If it was even the slightest bit loose and would slide around it was very unpleasant and would bother me. Then when i would use the glide lock to adjust and wear it snug it was fine for the time being. But if my wrist started to swell and the watch became uncomfortably tight i would loosen it again and i was back to where i started.

It’s a beautiful watch and would love to still own it but due to the fit and weight it just wasn’t for me.
Old 30 November 2018, 09:09 PM   #12
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
After wearing it a few years I still love it.
Old 30 November 2018, 09:27 PM   #13
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Had mine for two years now. Love it. Love it very much.

Was wearing it when i tried on the pepsi jubilee for first time.

Just couldnt imagine getting the blro when i already have the smurf. The feel is just different.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 09:48 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I owned the Smurf for under a year and really enjoyed it. It is a watch that if you know what it is, you are impressed but otherwise it is just a Submariner to others. In the end, I let it go ,as I preferred to have multiple other SS watches in the collection as opposed to just one. I did the same thing with the WG BLRO. For me it is about how much I will wear a watch and how much I enjoy it. I own the SS Sky-Dweller with the white dial and enjoy it much more than the Smurf and I have 10k less in it than I did the Smurf. Best for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 10:01 PM   #15
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing! Seems like the weight is a concern for some. I am use to the SD43. I will have to look up the exact weight of the smurf. I have tried it on and didn’t perceive it as too heavy. However, a few minutes in the store isn’t the best gauge.
Old 30 November 2018, 10:27 PM   #16
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I have had no issues with wearing my wg sub. It is definitely heavier but wears just like the ss version save the weight. i am just not sure it will satisfy you itch as we all can b come infatuated by a watch we don't own. Good luck.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:04 PM   #17
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I have had mine for about two years. I also had a DSSD at the same time, and I seemed to gravitate towards the 116619. I had the DSSD for about 4yrs and decided it was time to go. I could not get over how high it sat in my wrist.
The smurf is a watch I can faithfully say I can wear daily. I have being on long vacations and bringing only one watch, I would bring the smurf. I love the weight, feel and the look under all different lighting is mesmerizing. I love the shine and glitter of the polished center links to. If I didn’t have other watches that I wear in rotation, this could be the only one I would keep. Try it on again and see if the manager can let you take it outside in natural sunlight, for me that is what sold me.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:10 PM   #18
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I think the constant hunt is part of the fun and the excitement is in looking forward to the next one. Too bad we cannot seem to truly appreciate one’s we have.

Grass is always greener...

How true it is just got the SD43 and IAm already thinking about the next one always on the hunt
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:30 PM   #19
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the white gold blue sub. For folks that have had one for over a year, what are your overall impressions? Weight...comfort...versatility...visual appeal? I am drawn to this piece and the JC Deep Sea at the moment. With regards to the smurf, I would probably sell a couple pieces to narrow my collection. To be frank, I am wondering/hoping if/that the smurf would ease the near constant desire for another watch that seems to only be getting worse! I have had at one point or another most of the six digit sports models and still have a 5 digit pepsi (never parting with it) and a 16610. Thoughts?

I’d say just make sure you really love it - but you’re kidding yourself if you think it will end your desire for other watches
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:30 PM   #20
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Excellent pics! Thank you everyone for the great feedback.
Old 1 December 2018, 12:12 AM   #21
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I have had mine for about two years. I also had a DSSD at the same time, and I seemed to gravitate towards the 116619. I had the DSSD for about 4yrs and decided it was time to go. I could not get over how high it sat in my wrist.
The smurf is a watch I can faithfully say I can wear daily. I have being on long vacations and bringing only one watch, I would bring the smurf. I love the weight, feel and the look under all different lighting is mesmerizing. I love the shine and glitter of the polished center links to. If I didn’t have other watches that I wear in rotation, this could be the only one I would keep. Try it on again and see if the manager can let you take it outside in natural sunlight, for me that is what sold me.

Nice pics and also amazing car! Not many of those bad boys around...
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 12:14 AM   #22
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
I am in exactly the same boat and have a live thread running currently about consolidating watches into a PM. I am very very close to selling my SD 16600 and Hulk plus a bit of cash and buying the Smurf...
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 02:18 AM   #23
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
... but you’re kidding yourself if you think it will end your desire for other watches
Gads, ain't that the truth!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 02:29 AM   #24
sager
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love the smurf!

Was so close to pulling the trigger as a birthday present to myself. That was until I saw the Daytona 116500 (white) and had to have it.

Now I cannot justify selling my collection for it. I'd rather have the D-Blue, Daytona and BLNR.

I think
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 02:35 AM   #25
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Beautiful !!!!! Sub Congrats
Old 1 December 2018, 03:10 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post

Stunning photos my friend

That outta push him right into the deep end
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 03:16 AM   #27
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Stunning photos my friend

That outta push him right into the deep end

Yeah, no kidding!

Even me, who historically has not been the hugest fan of the reference, spent time imagining owning one after looking at those pics.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 03:22 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The weight of a watch is a huge deal with it being comfortable. The more weight, the more it applies pressure when it moves around on the wrist. You can adjust it tighter if you can stand it, but you cant avoid the mass on the end of your arm. Everyone is different with how much weight they can tolerate on their wrist. Anything above 170 grams I find annoying on a everyday basis. I guess this makes my wallet lucky as any full PM is over weight for my comfort zone.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 04:29 AM   #29
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I love everything about this watch except the price -- OUCH!!.

If Rolex were to take a similar approach as the BLRO and put one out of Steel I would buy it in a heartbeat. Could that be a waiting surprise for Basel 2019?
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 05:30 AM   #30
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Could that be a waiting surprise for Basel 2019?
If so, most will be waiting till 2029 to get one