The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 July 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
A quick dial colour question

There are lots of dial options with some models, with some there are only two options, sometimes there isn't a choice.....

I have read that in certain parts of the world differing dial colours are favoured above others.....specifically with the SS Daytona.....and maybe the Explorer II

The model I am keen to know about for personal reasons (I have one coming very soon) is the Explorer II....available as we know in either black or white (much the same as the SS Daytona)

I like both, they are very similar and yet very different at the same time....to be honest if the one I have coming (it's pre-loved) had been the opposite of what it is I would have been just as keen to take it.

My questions are which colour appears more popular and where?

As an aside I would be very keen to know which colour dial is produced in the largest quantity, not sure if that info will be available but I have to ask just in case........

As a further aside, lots of folk switch bezels here....has anyone managed to get a black and a white dial for an Explorer II and alternate between them?......obviously not a DIY process but never the less it could be done pretty quickly by your friendly watchmaker a couple of times a year if you so wished and had the dials......
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 08:12 PM   #2
stanislav

for me the black dial rules, i generally like black more
stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer any of my questions.....I like the black....but I also like the white.....I wanted answers kind of "en masse" rather than individual opinions....thanks anyway....
Old 30 July 2009, 08:15 PM   #4
rolexcd

Watch: Daytona SS Black D
Black dials are more popular in Asia. By the way, most SS sport models are with black dials only.
rolexcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Actualy that's true......but I meant all Rolex watches in my first statement....not just sports ones......I take your point though and thanks for the info on the Asian front
Old 31 July 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The white dial is a great watch that will go to the ball or out in the desert...easily.. ....

.......OK, so will the black one....

It seems that the white one gets talked about more on this forum, but I'll bet that more people own the black one..

Personally, I think that it's silly to even think about swapping out dials on a watch every so often...

Old 31 July 2009, 12:02 AM   #7
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
My questions are which colour appears more popular and where?

As an aside I would be very keen to know which colour dial is produced in the largest quantity, not sure if that info will be available but I have to ask just in case........
You're asking questions regarding production numbers, to which only Rolex will have the definitive answers.
Old 31 July 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info guys, I have to agree Larry, I would never consider doing this, however I bet some would

Howard, yeah I know they keep this info secret but I just kind of hoped someone "in the know" would have a feel for which dial colour probably got produced in the highest quantity.....

Thanks again....the one I have coming is a black dial.....I am excited as you can well imagine......it'll swell my collection a bit
Old 31 July 2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I wear the black dial a whole lot more than the white one........

Because it's so comfortable and doesn't bang into things nearly as much as the larger bezel models, it has really become my "beater" for most any outdoor activity..
Old 31 July 2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Larry, the watch I have coming belongs to a work colleague, I work in the oil industry overseas and some single guys get lots of money through their hands and sometimes make rash purchases....sure you know the story....some need to get rid of these rash purchases later to catch up on debts.....the oil business has many stories I am sure you know.....I bought my GMTIIc around 6 months ago and absolutely love it, I am a long term wearer and I suppose it had to come eventually, inevitable really, I have really been bitten hard by the GMT bug....this guy's Explorer called to me from his wrist when I first saw it, he had taken the cyclops lens off for personal reasons, some folk do I have no problem with it if that's what they want........I mentioned to him in passing that if he ever wanted to get rid of it all he had to do was service it and have the correct crystal put back and I was his man.......a couple of months back he took me up on it.....5 weeks time I will get it, when I start my next hitch here.....to say I am excited is a vast understatement......it has all boxes, paperwork, all the bracelet links and a full service....it should look brand new and a million dollars.....I love both the black and the white dial, it would not have bothered me either way.....it's just the package....another important addition to the collection!