The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 September 2011, 02:14 AM   #121
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Wow - that is a major thumbs down for this attitude.
I'm so glad I have read this entire thread.

Out of curiosity i googled "Michael Young Rolex" - there were many threads of him from various watch related forums, including this very thread.

Hope this thread lives to avoid future victims of his bad business attitude. Whatever happened to the "the customer is always right" bit?!?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 02:15 AM   #122
silvershark

Well I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'll give him a few more days to do the right thing!! If not the internet is a mighty powerful tool for totally destroying reputations and giving folks all kinds of hassle.

BTW, his websites feedback page has mysteriously vanished lol!
silvershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 02:25 AM   #123
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershark View Post
Wow!!

I wonder where that leaves me then?
It would certainly seem that you're screwed.

If it's any conciliation, you've done a lot of people here a great service by sharing your horror story.

He may not be taking on any new customers now, but eventually he'll need us and we'll remember what happened to you.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 03:03 AM   #124
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Wow...this thread was compelling enought to read all five pages.

Silvershark, I'm sorry to read of your misfortune. I hope all ends well although I'm sorry to say it is very unlikely. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you.

It is laughable that members have posted 3 pages into this thread that "MY is the best in the business, blah, blah, blah" That is ludicrous! Looks to be the worst as far as I'm concerned. I have a feeling and I hope that his bracelet restoration days are over so this doesn't happen to anyone else. Losing something that will cost 1500 some odd dollars to replace is unforgivable. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to hopefully see a better outcome than I am predicting.
Old 16 September 2011, 04:03 AM   #125
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I am surprised at his handling of this. He is the only person I know that does decent work in this area and if he stops taking work the hope of getting restored an otherwise bracelet for the garbage goes away. I am getting ready to send him 9 bands myself and they are worthless unless fixed so i am comfortable with my risk as junk is junk and fixed is something. If anybody knows somebody else that does decent work please pm me.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 08:24 AM   #126
OysterDavid
Banned

Before sending my bracelet to Michael back in '06, I did as much research as I could to see if anyone else was doing that kind of work. The only thing I could find was that pre-owned dealer in Florida that I'm guessing sends their work to Michael. When I called them, they were real fuzzy about details and every so often I'll go back to their site and find that nothing has changed on their web site since I first saw it...same bracelets for sale, same pictures of restored bracelets...so I will wonder just how active they are in that end of the business.

In no way, shape, or form am I condoning the way this story has been handled, but somehow, I don't think Michael derived much of his income from people on this forum. To do the job that he does, one would need an awful lot of specialized equipment to pull apart the links without harming them...access to new pins that fit...and then a machine to squish everything back together again, along with the ability to polish and refinish. Being a free market capitalist, I'd like to think that if there were a strong market for this sort of work, there would be more than Michael offering up the service.

My bracelet that he worked on back in '06 is still looking good and wearing strong. I don't have any new bracelets that need refurbishing, so I guess I'll count myself as lucky. I've always volunteered a very favorable endorsement for Michael because of my experience...I guess I'll just keep that opinion to myself in the future.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 10:17 AM   #127
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I hope MY's days are over. From a well respected Jubilee restorer to a total POS!!!

Wow!

Old 16 September 2011, 10:28 AM   #128
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

That is completely unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Return that and ask him for replacement cost of a new JB bracelet. Can't hurt to try!!!!

He's off my list for sure...............
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 10:54 PM   #129
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
Before sending my bracelet to Michael back in '06, I did as much research as I could to see if anyone else was doing that kind of work. The only thing I could find was that pre-owned dealer in Florida that I'm guessing sends their work to Michael. When I called them, they were real fuzzy about details and every so often I'll go back to their site and find that nothing has changed on their web site since I first saw it...same bracelets for sale, same pictures of restored bracelets...so I will wonder just how active they are in that end of the business.

In no way, shape, or form am I condoning the way this story has been handled, but somehow, I don't think Michael derived much of his income from people on this forum. To do the job that he does, one would need an awful lot of specialized equipment to pull apart the links without harming them...access to new pins that fit...and then a machine to squish everything back together again, along with the ability to polish and refinish. Being a free market capitalist, I'd like to think that if there were a strong market for this sort of work, there would be more than Michael offering up the service.

My bracelet that he worked on back in '06 is still looking good and wearing strong. I don't have any new bracelets that need refurbishing, so I guess I'll count myself as lucky. I've always volunteered a very favorable endorsement for Michael because of my experience...I guess I'll just keep that opinion to myself in the future.
I am sorry for being this harsh but it just seems very odd and almost impossible to restore a bracelet the way he does and send it back looking practically like new. Can anyone confirm that he is not only swapping old bracelets for new ones (aftermarket possibly) and replacing the clasps to make it look like it's still the same old bracelet that he was sent for restoration?

I am not accusing him of anything I am just wondering!!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 11:12 PM   #130
OysterDavid
Banned

My confirmation

I can confirm with photos that my original bracelet was returned with the pins replaced and tightened. There were minor imperfections on the solid gold that show up in before and after...so I don't think that this major transgression spoken here is indicative of Michael Young swapping bracelets with aftermarket.

With the exception of this story and the stories of his poor email communication, his past reputation was very favorable from a finished product with a fair number of satisfied clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
I am sorry for being this harsh but it just seems very odd and almost impossible to restore a bracelet the way he does and send it back looking practically like new. Can anyone confirm that he is not only swapping old bracelets for new ones (aftermarket possibly) and replacing the clasps to make it look like it's still the same old bracelet that he was sent for restoration?

I am not accusing him of anything I am just wondering!!
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2011, 11:21 PM   #131
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
I can confirm with photos that my original bracelet was returned with the pins replaced and tightened. There were minor imperfections on the solid gold that show up in before and after...so I don't think that this major transgression spoken here is indicative of Michael Young swapping bracelets with aftermarket.

With the exception of this story and the stories of his poor email communication, his past reputation was very favorable from a finished product with a fair number of satisfied clients.
Thanks so much for the explanation. I was just curious but now I know for sure that it is indeed possible to restore the bracelets the way he does. Sad that poor communication and a lack of client service just recently might take away good business for him.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 12:36 AM   #132
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
This is how all good businesses decline, they get too big for one person to handle. He might be so overwelmed with work that his quality has sufferes as a result.
Old 17 September 2011, 01:41 AM   #133
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2011, 01:47 AM   #134
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
Hey Silvershark,,

You might want to add him to the "Watch Out" section of this forum.
mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 10:13 PM   #135
silvershark

Hey all

Had an email from MY today saying that he is "putting together" another bracelet for me and will I return the replacement back to him. However I feel abit unsure of what to do. Obviously because of what has gone on, I am a bit reluctant to send this one back untill I receive another one from him.

Any advice?
Old 20 September 2011, 10:16 PM   #136
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Hey all

Had an email from MY today saying that he is "putting together" another bracelet for me and will I return the replacement back to him. However I feel abit unsure of what to do. Obviously because of what has gone on, I am a bit reluctant to send this one back untill I receive another one from him.

Any advice?
I would send it back.

After all this, if he doesn't send you a bracelet he would be considered a thief.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 10:37 PM   #137
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey all

Any advice?
It's completely up to you but if it was me I'd send it back and allow Michael Young to redeem himself.
Old 20 September 2011, 10:40 PM   #138
siewmaiwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 14060m
Send it back when you get the replacement just to make sure he does not just refurbish the same crappy item. Make sure you get reimbursed for the shipment costs, as he tries to right the wrong. I do hope you get a nice beautiful replacement coming with a nice goodwill surprise gift.
siewmaiwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 10:41 PM   #139
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
It's completely up to you but if it was me I'd send it back and allow Michael Young to redeem himself.
X2. Let the man make it right.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 11:56 PM   #140
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
x3.
Old 21 September 2011, 12:00 AM   #141
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Absolutely, you've got nothing to lose at this point.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 12:14 AM   #142
silvershark

Nice one guys!

Good point about being considered a thief Monbk! I'll send it back and see what materializes!
Old 21 September 2011, 10:56 AM   #143
StJamesSq
"TRF" Member

Of course you send the unsatisfactory bracelet back to Michael Young. This is not about scoring points off each other, this is about trying to arrive quickly and easily at the outcome you want.
StJamesSq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 11:14 AM   #144
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I would wait until you get the new one in your hands.

You never know, if he's slow as sh't again you may keep your blood pressure in check by retaining what you got.

Then whe number 2 arrives. Wear it a bit. If it falls apart as well, you may need both bracelets to put together one wearable band.

Then you can mail him back a pile of useless broken garbage.

I feel bad for you only because the transaction dragged and he was not diplomatic about it. Harry
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 04:29 PM   #145
diego

I would send back the 1st bracelet back. I don't think you'll ever use it anyway since it looks like crap. Just hope that with your gesture he'll replace it soonest.
diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 05:09 PM   #146
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Send the crappy one back. I would have done so right away.
Old 21 September 2011, 06:04 PM   #147
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Send it back I am sure you will get a satisfactory bracelet back if he does not redeem himself with a good one now he has lost my respect also. He used to be good a few years ago.
Old 21 September 2011, 06:09 PM   #148
OneMoreSi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD,Explorer,GMT
You have a lot of patience.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
OneMoreSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2011, 06:25 PM   #149
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSi View Post
You have a lot of patience.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
Definitely!

I would have exploded 10 times over.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:13 PM   #150
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by siewmaiwatch View Post
Send it back when you get the replacement just to make sure he does not just refurbish the same crappy item. Make sure you get reimbursed for the shipment costs, as he tries to right the wrong. I do hope you get a nice beautiful replacement coming with a nice goodwill surprise gift.
You've been through enough with this already
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote