The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 19 February 2016, 05:31 AM   #31
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
Very courageous of you to take this project on. I'm enjoying watching your work. Curious as to why you would take this on. Is this a special watch, or is this an experiment for learning, or is there another reason?

Please don't apologize about your English - it is fine, and much better than any of my foreign languages.

I look forward to following this work.
Thanks for your kind words.
I started this project because I love the 5513 first editions. The movement was a 1520 initially and adding I never worked on one I decided to do it. At the beginning the movement supposed to be in better conditions (60% useful parts) after opening (35% or less).
I worked on 3135, 3130, 1560, 1570 and few more but never on a 1520. I think the best way to learn about something is to get always the worst conditions and try to solve the problem.
In this project the very hard work is to rescue from death as much as I can and find some new pieces. Is my hobby and have no Rolex account or similar to buy pieces. Just few contacts and the net. I would like to think will be a few weeks project but is nearest a few months one.
This is not for taking profit. I can buy one fine movement for 1300$ or so and probably I will need more in pieces to see it running again.
Sure I can learn a lot from this and I will enjoy every minute dreaming with the movement in a 5513 case "ticking" on my wrist with a super dome plexy and a matte meters first dial!! Dream is free, hahaja
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2016, 05:42 AM   #32
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
Il be interested to see inside the barrel. I think Im right in saying the main spring is made from stainless steel.Possibly it will still look like new?
So do I!! Hahaha
I live in a quite small island and 15 meters from the sea, one thing I learned about SS is that without minimum maintenance the result of mixing salted water and oxygen... Is not good!! Other thing is if its still in one part or broken? The mainly problem is I have no idea from the last owner. He took the movement from an auction and no more info.
Next week I'll try to open it and...mystery solved!!!
Old 19 February 2016, 06:08 AM   #33
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdodd View Post
wow what a task you have ahead of you! What do you do when screws are so small and either they rounded or stuck??
That's the best question!!
First of all swear like a crazy man!! Hahaha after that...pray!
If sinking the piece in oil doesn't work I try to do really small twists with the screwdriver, then with the hammer beat smoothly and try again to unscrew. If in one of this processes I brake the head of the screw or the screwdriver slips from the screw damaging the head I try to redo the head again with an old screwdriver and hammering smoothly.
If finally the head is totally dead then I brush the head trying not to damage the other parts and remove the holding part, then I must drill the screwed part of the screw trying to keep the screw pitch as much as I can, take the micro parts of the old screw and redone the old pitch from the part. (Not sure if I explained well)
Old 19 February 2016, 07:16 AM   #34
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
Ahh, a labor of love, the challenge, and the learning experience. It doesn't get much better than that. Hats off to you!

I hope that you have a great view of the Mediterranean Sea from your shop.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2016, 07:55 AM   #35
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Il be interested to see inside the barrel. I think Im right in saying the main spring is made from stainless steel.Possibly it will still look like new?
Don't get your hopes up, stainless steel can rust.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2016, 08:47 AM   #36
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ahh, a labor of love, the challenge, and the learning experience. It doesn't get much better than that. Hats off to you!

Thanks! Is a beautiful and gratifying hobby. Is fantastic when after assembling all parts, cleaned, oiled...then wound the crown and the balance wheel starts moving and the escape wheel ticks with the anchor...oohh poetry!
Tomorrow will send a pic from my window!
Old 19 February 2016, 12:46 PM   #37
adiorandomhero93
"TRF" Member

Great thread! Appreciate you posting this
adiorandomhero93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2016, 07:22 PM   #38
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From my living room...uploadfromtaptalk1455873714768.jpg
Old 19 February 2016, 07:41 PM   #39
SearChart
TechXpert

Quite the view, very nice
Old 19 February 2016, 10:48 PM   #40
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Best weather that there is, I'll bet.
Old 21 February 2016, 12:50 AM   #41
Porter
"TRF" Member

Just walking around....uploadfromtaptalk1455979674218.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455979689647.jpg
Preparing mind for new projects!
Old 26 February 2016, 09:42 AM   #42
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Looking good!
Old 26 February 2016, 11:27 AM   #43
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Carlos, you live in my idea of heaven! What a wonderful place!
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2016, 07:38 AM   #44
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus Maneo View Post
Carlos, you live in my idea of heaven! What a wonderful place!
You're right! Everyday I think how lucky I feel living here. Imagine the paradise underwater...
Old 9 March 2016, 02:11 AM   #45
lew07
"TRF" Member

How are things progressing Carlos? Im itching to see some more of Your project and Your work on them .
lew07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 03:00 AM   #46
LLFaircloth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 88 Sub 168000
Absolutely amazing view. I hope your project is going well. I too can't wait to see what you've done.
LLFaircloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2016, 12:43 AM   #47
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How are things progressing Carlos? Im itching to see some more of Your project and Your work on them .
Hi! Thanks for your interest!! Last week I had a "problem" with my right arm so till next week I'll not be able to touch it.
Now some pieces are in oil. Are separated in different cans to clean and check.
A lot of work to do!! And need to find some new pieces because there's not possibility to rescue them like the balance wheel and the hairspring.
Reversing wheels are loosing the red coating but I think will work.
The biggest problem is some screws are totally rusted so will need to break and redo.
Don't worry! I will not stop! Just few days recovering my arm and continue with restoration!
Old 11 March 2016, 12:50 AM   #48
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLFaircloth View Post
Absolutely amazing view. I hope your project is going well. I too can't wait to see what you've done.
Thanks! I'm a lucky man!!.
Next week more updates. Read my last reply and you will get the info!!
Hope I can continue soon and advance the project!!
Old 12 March 2016, 04:10 AM   #49
lew07
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about Your arm Carlos... get well soon!!!!
lew07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 09:07 PM   #50
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Thanks! I'm a lucky man!!.
Next week more updates. Read my last reply and you will get the info!!
Hope I can continue soon and advance the project!!
I'm looking forward to the update
Old 16 March 2016, 10:59 PM   #51
Grnvette65
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the explanations and pics. This really answered a question I had w water in the movement as I had wrong impressions on being able the clean the parts. Good luck and hopefully you don't find too many more surprises
Grnvette65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 11:03 PM   #52
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnvette65 View Post
Thank you for the explanations and pics. This really answered a question I had w water in the movement as I had wrong impressions on being able the clean the parts. Good luck and hopefully you don't find too many more surprises
Salt water is obviously far more destructive than regular water. But even fresh water can destroy a lot in a movement, just not as quickly as salt water.
Old 17 March 2016, 07:22 AM   #53
Porter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnvette65 View Post
Thanks for your words! Is really amazing how fast salted water destroy a movement!! Nearly instantaneously.
The problem with this movement is was kept many months without care in a box. That's why the screws and the hairspring are totally destroyed!
Tomorrow I'll try to progress a bit in the restoration! Will try to open the barrel and unscrew the axle from the transmission wheel on the top...
Old 18 March 2016, 06:10 AM   #54
Porter
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone!
Today I've started again with the rescue!
I have to say this movement is worst than I thought at the beginning! Salted water really done a good job!
The main problem is that nearly all screws are totally eaten by rust! Every part need to unscrew is a hell!! Screws become sand after press and turn a bit the screwdriver. Is amazing!! Let's see the pics...uploadfromtaptalk1458244870159.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458244899789.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458244934307.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458244966270.jpg
I wanted to separate all the pieces from the rotor bridge. Two screws hold the plate under the bridge to release the reversing wheels and the rotor's axle and pinion. One of both completely disappeared only touching it so I decided to force just a little the plate to release one of the wheels and see inside. Once the wheel came out the rotor's axle and pinion ( totally rusted ) came out. Time to try now with second screw...like sand again...conclusion: plate free and second wheel. As you can see wheels are dead, axle and pinion too...sh**!
Old 18 March 2016, 06:27 AM   #55
Porter
"TRF" Member

Well...after sweating a bit with the rotor is time to try to attack the barrel and transmission wheels...uploadfromtaptalk1458245706919.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458245723617.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458245744053.jpg
Initially I took it out the barrel with its bridge screwed (not well done but no other way)
As you can see in the pics the barrel's axle is dead, destroyed by rust and the main spring is stacked. You can turn round the barrel easily and can hear "click click..." So the spring is separated from the axle. Unscrew? ...impossible!! The screw is hard and the metal is like butter! You can see the clear sides of the screw when the screwdriver slips from the groove. Tried to make it deeper but same problem again!! So will need to brush the screw or brake its head.
The transmission wheel is dead too. Eaten by rust is impossible to move. Barrel's brake is rusted too. The spring is the part I want to rescue but no hopes!
I leave the complete bridge in oil and let's see next week...
Old 18 March 2016, 06:36 AM   #56
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I love threads like this.

Is it easy (?) to replace the smaller parts of the movement and make it work again? I don't know the name of the big parts of the movement (the pieces that hold the rotors). Do they get affected?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 06:39 AM   #57
Porter
"TRF" Member

Time to take a view of the main plate and the most damaged side..."Remontoir"
uploadfromtaptalk1458246925262.jpg
Uuhhmmmm...how to describe...dead!! Not totally but nearly. Springs are OK! Winding pinions OK! Stem... I bought new! All the rest...rusted and seriously damaged!...:(
Old 18 March 2016, 06:44 AM   #58
Porter
"TRF" Member

Next step...try to separate the barrel's bridge parts. Try to separate the winding system and make the wish list of the parts I need to buy and brush, polish, oiling...
Every part in its place...uploadfromtaptalk1458247457384.jpg
Old 18 March 2016, 06:53 AM   #59
Porter
"TRF" Member

I don't want to finish this day with so many rust and sadness... Here you are... A rare beauty... Breitling cal.11 Chronomatic.
uploadfromtaptalk1458247915404.jpg
See you all and every comment is highly appreciated!
Bye!
Old 18 March 2016, 07:08 AM   #60
SearChart
TechXpert

Wow that movement is in very bad shape, I wish you the best of luck. I'm hoping you can salvage as much as possible before you begin the expensive rebuild with new parts.