The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 December 2018, 07:52 AM   #1
jb6733andrews
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1973 Rolex 1500
New Guy with a '70s vintage 1500

7 years ago I inherited my dad's Oyster Perpetual Date model 1500 with smooth bezel, blue Linen dial, and stainless steel Jubilee bracelet. At least I think that's all correct. I just started researching it. The serial number is just under 2,700,000, purchased in 1974 from Bucherer Co. Ltd. in Lucerne, Switzerland. I have all the original paperwork with it, including the original bill of sale, paper AMEX receipt, and guarantee.

My dad wore this watch every day for 37 years. It has the typical "road rash" (I'm a car guy) but keeps perfect time. Since there were no receipts for service, I assume it has never been. And I read that since it's more than 25 years old it should not be serviced. I inquired about having the crystal replaced with a friend who owns a jewelry store a few years back and instead for $7 he polished all but a couple of scratches out, and I don't even notice them. It is only worn on special occasions.

I'm not interested in selling it but of course I'm curious as to its value. I guess I can't post a link to a photo until I have 10 posts.

Thanks everyone!
jb6733andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Do your watch a favor and have it properly serviced. Don't know where you find that over 25 years means differently.

There are values all over the Internet. Condition is paramount with mint at the top and poorly maintained at the bottom.
Old 2 December 2018, 08:05 AM   #3
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

watch definitely needs to be serviced but you should only have Rolex do it. I would not trust a vintage Rolex to anyone else.
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
watch definitely needs to be serviced but you should only have Rolex do it. I would not trust a vintage Rolex to anyone else.
Really? I bet most watchmakers at the RSC were not even born when this watch was purchased, and many have never even seen one. If you listen to many of the founding members here who have had vintage pieces, some worth in the 6 figures they will say never send vintage to RSC. Always use a good indy with a Rolex account who will not attempt to replace dial, hands, with new which is RSC's M.O.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Send it to LA Watchworks in Pasadena or Rik D. in Florida. Someone will name Rik’s shop as it escapes me. Take care of the watch and it will be a fantastic heirloom for future generations.

Edit: Rik’s: timecareinc dot com
LAWW: lawatchworks dot com
Cubdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #6
jb6733andrews
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input everyone. A couple of questions:

1) I've seen several Rolexes like mine for sale noting the "rare Blue Linen" dial. Some actually say "extremely rare." Is it really that rare?

2) How is the size determined? I have calipers in mm but I don't know between which points it is measured. Is it the outside bezel diameter? Obviously I'm new at this...

BTW, I read somewhere on the internet about the 25 year thing. Apparently, like many other things, it's not true.

Thanks again.
Old 4 December 2018, 04:12 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb6733andrews View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. A couple of questions:

1) I've seen several Rolexes like mine for sale noting the "rare Blue Linen" dial. Some actually say "extremely rare." Is it really that rare?

2) How is the size determined? I have calipers in mm but I don't know between which points it is measured. Is it the outside bezel diameter? Obviously I'm new at this...

BTW, I read somewhere on the internet about the 25 year thing. Apparently, like many other things, it's not true.

Thanks again.
Well it depends on your interpretation of rare sure they were made in smaller numbers but dont mean it will be more valuable.I would have it serviced for sentimental reasons, afraid watches like the OP date are not high collectable value watches.Your watch will have the cal 1575 19800BPH movement so Rolex will still have most all service parts expect to pay around $500.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Some dials were less common than others, and many people do like linen dials. It increases the desirability to some extent. However, if you look at recent ref 1500 sales in general, I think you will still get a reasonable sense of the value of your watch, as long as you compare to examples in similar condition. Of course, since value depends so much on condition, we can't begin to guess at value without seeing comprehensive, clear, in-focus photos from various angles.

Measure the outside of the case from 10-to-4 and 8-to-2. It should be ~34mm for your watch I believe.

All watches need to be serviced periodically. Otherwise moving parts will become badly damaged because the lubrication becomes dry and dirty. It's possible that you misunderstood what you read. At one point, Rolex was not willing to service older watches. However, the bigger issue now is that when Rolex services watches they sometimes insist on replacing original parts with new "service" parts (e.g. dial, hands, etc.). If you don't want that to be done, it's often better to find an independent watchmaker instead of sending it to a Rolex Service Center.
Old 4 December 2018, 05:59 AM   #9
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Some dials were less common than others, and many people do like linen dials. It increases the desirability to some extent. However, if you look at recent ref 1500 sales in general, I think you will still get a reasonable sense of the value of your watch, as long as you compare to examples in similar condition. Of course, since value depends so much on condition, we can't begin to guess at value without seeing comprehensive, clear, in-focus photos from various angles.

Measure the outside of the case from 10-to-4 and 8-to-2. It should be ~34mm for your watch I believe.

All watches need to be serviced periodically. Otherwise moving parts will become badly damaged because the lubrication becomes dry and dirty. It's possible that you misunderstood what you read. At one point, Rolex was not willing to service older watches. However, the bigger issue now is that when Rolex services watches they sometimes insist on replacing original parts with new "service" parts (e.g. dial, hands, etc.). If you don't want that to be done, it's often better to find an independent watchmaker instead of sending it to a Rolex Service Center.
Rolex has been changing it’s policy on servicing Vintage Watches lately.I’ve seen a few instances where they have said they will only service it in Geneva for a ridiculous price.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 06:57 AM   #10
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Rikki is ...Time Care Inc. he does all my work!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 05:21 PM   #11
R.G.Bramlett, CW21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Really? I bet most watchmakers at the RSC were not even born when this watch was purchased, and many have never even seen one. If you listen to many of the founding members here who have had vintage pieces, some worth in the 6 figures they will say never send vintage to RSC. Always use a good indy with a Rolex account who will not attempt to replace dial, hands, with new which is RSC's M.O.
It's true that several of the watchmakers at the RSC may not have been born when this watch was produced, but i think you might be rather overstating this model's rarity. And yes, if the dial or hands are damaged in any way (including even fine hairline cracks in the hands' luminous material) then those components will be replaced whether you like it or not. So i agree, getting to know a watchmaker who won't insist on those replacing those parts isn't a bad idea at all if keeping the watch original is important to you.
R.G.Bramlett, CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:27 AM   #12
jb6733andrews
"TRF" Member

So anyway, I really love this watch. It's understated elegant, not flashy or gaudy. I can wear it with a tux or my more usual denim. I know I'll ruffle some feathers here, but I think some of the other models are just over the top "LOOK AT ME!" I much prefer the double-take: "Is that a... that's a Rolex, isn't it?" Looking into getting it serviced if they'll do it without replacing the dial. Checking the ratings of the local RSC. Well, not really local - when you live in the North Georgia mountains nothing is local...