The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want your Rolex to be noticed?
Yes 204 33.01%
No 414 66.99%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 December 2018, 01:44 PM   #61
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
In all my years of collecting, I can count on one hand the number of times strangers have commented on my watch. Only one time was it uncomfortable. A guy came up to me in the local Nike store and grabbed my wrist. He said oh my god is that the so and so Sea Dweller and he promptly showed me his Batman. I nearly clocked him as he came out nowhere and grabbed my wrist.

I prefer to fly under the radar.
Then don't buy a Hulk.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:46 PM   #62
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Prefer to fly under the radar whenever possible. Hence the recent re-org of my collection.
Old 13 December 2018, 01:47 PM   #63
Lo0o0o0n
"TRF" Member

I really loathe the conversations of people/friends noticing my watch but themselves not understanding the hobby.

"how much is this watch?" "is it real?"

stuff that watch hobbyists will never ask
Lo0o0o0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:56 PM   #64
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I love the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:04 PM   #65
AlexWazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I enjoy talking watches so I don’t mind it. I acknowledge though that wearing AP or Patek primarily draws a different crowd of interested folk than Rolex. Anytime I’ve gotten a compliment that person had a good idea of what they were talking about. One of the reasons I’ve enjoyed wearing those out. They go generally unnoticed but when you do get a compliment it can lead to a good conversation
AlexWazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:34 PM   #66
whan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116570CHNR, A384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou wants a Rolex View Post
I don’t care if the general public knows I have a Rolex. I prefer they don’t actually. The only time I want it noticed is when I am at the counter looking at high end watches. I don’t dress fancy and I want to be taken seriously and not brushed off. So as I am talking to them I make sure my Rolex is noticeable. Believe it or not it works.
Definitely true - looking at my next Rolex and wore my AP when I was at the AD.

Overall I'm not sure if I really want it to be noticed (not that either my Tudor or AP really are by most right now). By WIS, sure - always fun to talk shop, but not sure about the general public. Definitely don't want EVERYONE to notice / attract the wrong attention.

That said, I am considering buying a YG Gold Oysterflex Daytona - only thing holding me back really is the attention that it'll probably get. But seeing it in person, man is the warmth of the YG alluring
whan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:42 PM   #67
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

I prefer to fly under the radar. The modern OP line is perfect for wearing a Rolex in a stealthy way.

Back when I had my 2016 Explorer I had a client who noticed it and asked “Is that a Rolex?” I was literally in jail with him at the time, doing video court, and my response was of the “Erm, um” variety. Then he asked if it was fake, which was even worse.

As a modestly salaried government employee serving a particular low income clientele, it’s just not a conversation I want to have with most of the people I interact with in my professional life. My friends and family know watches are my one expensive vice, but I’m not interested in talking about my watches with most others....
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:52 PM   #68
shapa
"TRF" Member

Yes I do. I enjoy wearing it and I want to show it off. Proud of my kid.
shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:03 PM   #69
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
I prefer to fly under the radar. The modern OP line is perfect for wearing a Rolex in a stealthy way.

Back when I had my 2016 Explorer I had a client who noticed it and asked “Is that a Rolex?” I was literally in jail with him at the time, doing video court, and my response was of the “Erm, um” variety. Then he asked if it was fake, which was even worse.

As a modestly salaried government employee serving a particular low income clientele, it’s just not a conversation I want to have with most of the people I interact with in my professional life. My friends and family know watches are my one expensive vice, but I’m not interested in talking about my watches with most others....

Just tell the client you won it in a poker game....and leave it at that :)
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:10 PM   #70
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want people to notice it but it certainly depends on who notice it.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:13 PM   #71
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
You and I have a lot in common my friend.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:18 PM   #72
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
I'm accustomed to some of my watches being noticed - my sunburst green Sistem 51, my Seiko Cocktail blue, my Traser Big Date Blue (a military-style watch with tritium hands, a two-hand alarm subdial and a seconds subdial.) Most of my watches are not noticed, except by people wondering which watch I'm wearing at any given point.

I don't expect my DJ41 to elicit any notice.
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:19 PM   #73
icemandl6
"TRF" Member

Depends the situation:
-If in the public (i.e. taking public transportation): No
-If in a party (private or office): yes
-Any other setting where I know the people: yes

However, it seems that only Rolex connaisseurs would notice a Rolex from my experience.
icemandl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:43 PM   #74
ColtAuto7
"TRF" Member

Watch: A 16613 "Blue Boy"
MGSooner, (and apologies to the OP for going off-topic) make that three of us, though I last year retired. A practitioner with whom I worked would tell clients when they noticed his TT Blue Submariner that a client had several years earlier paid him with that watch when he was in private practice.

--Robert
ColtAuto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 04:24 PM   #75
SearChart
TechXpert

No.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 04:25 PM   #76
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

There are a few people (friends and Co-workers and WISs) that I engage or they me when one of us notices a new watch on the other.

A guy I used to work with in Oregon has a SS DJ and TT Daytona. He noticed when I started that I wore a Kermit Sub LV. Later when I bought a GMT IIc in SS, he noticed, each tone we had conversations, and so on over the five years we worked together.

When in line for my DSSD-B, I was wearing my SD43. Others in line were wearing LVc, BLNR, SD, a Kermit ... we all got to talking about our watches. That was fun.

The other day, I noticed my company’s founder and chairman was wearing a RG Harry Winston on crocodile strap. I had never seen him wear a watch. So we got to talking. We are friends and play a lot of friendly golf together. Anyway, he had a son die in his late 20s (very sad). When it happened, he decided to buy a couple of watches and have his son’s name painted or engraved into the dial. He had this on his Harry Winston and he also has a Patek Philippe done the same. He says with a tear in his eye that he did it not to forget his son, although how could he do that?

Anyway, noticing and having conversations over watches can be very nice and sometimes therapeutic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 04:36 PM   #77
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I like when someone comments "nice watch" and I look at their wrist and they are also wearing something nice and into watches.

I don't like when someone comments "is that a Rolex?" and isn't into watches.
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 04:48 PM   #78
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
No one buys a Rolex to tell what time it is, so I'm a little skeptical about all the "under the radar" claims.
jimcameron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:14 PM   #79
MC21
"TRF" Member

Only my closest friend notice my watches, and we all wear Rolexs :D
MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:25 PM   #80
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Only by genuine watch enthusiasts, which is pretty rare. But it's great when it does happen, I welcome the opportunity to talk about this hobby outside of this forum.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I like being under the radar, which is one of the reasons why I have the OP and DJ in my collection. I still get to enjoy the hobby and non-WIS folks pay no attention.
Old 13 December 2018, 05:48 PM   #81
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop13 View Post
This might be the dumbest comment I’ve read on this website.
It is not a comment. It is a simple question. When you said you do not want it to be noticed then you have a specific reason why you do not want it? How do you feel if someone notice?

Personally Im happy if people notice my watch and compliment it so yes I want people to notice it. But it doesnt mean I want to make sound, and I also dont care if people dont.
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:58 PM   #82
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
I’m curious how others feel....Personally, I prefer others do not notice/comment on my Rolex watches. I buy them for my pleasure. You?
Afraid today its true to say many dont wear the watch they just wear the brand, in over 40 years of wearing you could count on one hand the number who have noticed whatever watch I was wearing so looks like myself in the no category.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 06:29 PM   #83
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I prefer people not to notice nor say anything about my watches. I don’t wear rolexes to be noticed.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:44 PM   #84
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1T View Post
Not everyone buy's a Rolex to be noticed. Just my opinion
So they have just bought it for the brand then !
Old 13 December 2018, 07:56 PM   #85
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBoncu2902 View Post
To those who said no.. so are you guys going to be scared or sad when people notice and compliment your watch?
Have not thought about it. Analyzing everything related to buying and owning a Rolex kind of takes the fun out of it.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:25 PM   #86
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Yes - but then again I like my sovereign rings and Krugerrand necklace to get some love too.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:54 PM   #87
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll X View Post
I want people to notice my M3, I want people to hear my Harleys and I want people to notice my Rolexes.
lol
Pay M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:05 PM   #88
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

It all depends who is noticing your watch. It can be beneficial in all sorts of ways but it can be annoying (ex how much does it cost) as well. Same goes for fancy clothes and nice cars.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:23 PM   #89
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Only by you guys.
Yup, not noticed but appreciated which can only happen with like-minded people.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:16 PM   #90
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I wish there was a 'sometimes' option!

I would vote that...I don't want people to notice my watches normally, but it would be nice if someone who was interested in watches noticed, and it led to a good conversation.

Having said that, I am currently travelling in Europe and spent a few days in transit in Singapore. I had my first experiences of having my watch noticed....by AD's!!! Although I was not well dressed (shorts and a t-shirt, due to the heat) I found I could not go into a store without receiving immediate attention, then I realised why...I was wearing my Deep Sea and they noticed instantly!

This was distinctly not the reaction I received dressed as I was ,in other high-end stores!
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote