The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2018, 04:19 AM   #31
Finfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
My SD43 has been losing about 4 seconds per month since purchased 8 months ago. It hasn't changed in that time. This (consistent) loss of 4 sec per day does detract from my enjoyment of the SD43 somewhat. Not enough though for me to send it in.

My opinion is if 20 people tell you "don't send it in", that may be good advice but you will have to decide if the loss of 3-5 seconds detracts from your enjoyment. If it does, then it will be worth the loss of the watch for a couple of months to get it back with the knowledge that it had been looked at by the RSC and should then meet your expectations. I wouldn't rush into it though, pick a time that you think works best for you.
Finfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 04:43 AM   #32
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfin View Post
My SD43 has been losing about 4 seconds per month since purchased 8 months ago. It hasn't changed in that time. This (consistent) loss of 4 sec per day does detract from my enjoyment of the SD43 somewhat. Not enough though for me to send it in.

My opinion is if 20 people tell you "don't send it in", that may be good advice but you will have to decide if the loss of 3-5 seconds detracts from your enjoyment. If it does, then it will be worth the loss of the watch for a couple of months to get it back with the knowledge that it had been looked at by the RSC and should then meet your expectations. I wouldn't rush into it though, pick a time that you think works best for you.
The key word in your comment is "consistent". If the gain/loss is consistent that indicates a regulation should suffice and there are no other issues to address.
Old 8 December 2018, 11:40 AM   #33
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboevo2 View Post
Its only been a month or so maybe movement still too new. I would wait a year or so or before warranty expire to have them regulate it. Meantime just enjoy it first.
It was purchased back in March 2018 by the original owner.

I then bought it from my non-AD dealer around mid-October. So whilst it's new to me, it's definitely not new :)
rowlecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 11:54 AM   #34
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to clarify:

If the COSC specifications are +2/-2 per day, and assuming I'm losing 2 seconds per day, then does that mean on Day 1 the watch will be 2 seconds slow, and on Day 7 the watch will be 14 seconds slow (ignoring daily fluctuations in deviations caused by wear, etc.)?

If that's the case, then after initially sync'ing my watch last week, and now it's 6 seconds slow, then does that mean, on average, my time loss is actually within the COSC specifications?
Old 8 December 2018, 12:09 PM   #35
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
If you set it 7 days ago. It is losing less than 1 second per day. Meaning: it is better than COSC and better than promised by Rolex. Time to relax and enjoy your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:54 PM   #36
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
If you need to get it regulated then why not go to Sydney RSC? They have always been excellent to me.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 05:45 PM   #37
smoov
"TRF" Member

hi rolex friends, i consider myself lucky to own both the SD43 and the 2018 JCDSSD.

Based on my (limited) early experience, boh of them hardly lose or gain time (less than one second at worst) if i store them dial down overnight.

good luck!
smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 10:35 PM   #38
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlecks View Post
Just wanted to clarify:

If the COSC specifications are +2/-2 per day, and assuming I'm losing 2 seconds per day, then does that mean on Day 1 the watch will be 2 seconds slow, and on Day 7 the watch will be 14 seconds slow (ignoring daily fluctuations in deviations caused by wear, etc.)?

If that's the case, then after initially sync'ing my watch last week, and now it's 6 seconds slow, then does that mean, on average, my time loss is actually within the COSC specifications?
Yes, let's have some clarification.

COSC tolerance is +6 to -4 seconds per day.
The new Rolex standard is +2 to -2 seconds per day.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:59 AM   #39
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoov View Post
hi rolex friends, i consider myself lucky to own both the SD43 and the 2018 JCDSSD.

Based on my (limited) early experience, boh of them hardly lose or gain time (less than one second at worst) if i store them dial down overnight.

good luck!
Thank you for this suggestion

For the last couple of nights, I had the dial facing down, and now the watch is running +/- 0 spd after a full wind

Let's hope this precision continues
Old 12 December 2018, 03:31 PM   #40
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I am in the same boat with my DSSD now. It started off at just within spec, loosing an average of 1.8 seconds per day, but now that the watch is 3 months old it's consistently losing 3 to 4 seconds per day, irrespective of overnight crown position.

This is not too big of a deal, except my Tudor watches are all keeping virtually perfect time and I wish my Rolex was at least within spec.

I live in New Zealand, and I guess my Deep Sea would have to go to Australia but given it would need special pressure testing (to 12,800 feet plus 25%!!) is it possible it would have to go to Switzerland if I decide to request regulation?

I am currently travelling in Europe, and will be in Switzerland at the end of January..wonder if I could just drop it off :)
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:10 PM   #41
Tigger
"TRF" Member

I have never had any problems with Sydney RSC. However if you have reservations about taking your watch there, and if it only requires regulation I expect Karl at Master Watchmaking would do that very quickly.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:56 PM   #42
smoov
"TRF" Member

Thank you for this suggestion For the last couple of nights, I had the dial facing

you are v welcome, enjoy alternating between the various options till u get it within limits acceptable to you.

for me, it may come down to accepting a loss of up to 1 spd as the norm when they are worn on my wrist.
smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:28 PM   #43
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlecks View Post
Just wanted to clarify:

Yes. If its 6 seconds slow after one week it is losing less than a second per day.

Place it dial up at night and you may find over a week it’s bang on

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:57 PM   #44
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
It wouldn't bother me 120secs a day out to be honest.
Old 12 December 2018, 08:05 PM   #45
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
It wouldn't bother me 120secs a day out to be honest.

120 seconds/day?

To be honest?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:21 AM   #46
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Are you guys serious, +-5s/d out and your talking about regulating?

At this rate, the watch is still 99.994%, if your complaining about that accuracy or if that inaccuracy is affecting your daily, then you should be buying an atomic Casio instead... I'm sure being 30 secs late for your meeting will be OK..

Please wear and enjoy the Rolex!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:38 AM   #47
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Are you guys serious, +-5s/d out and your talking about regulating?

At this rate, the watch is still 99.994%, if your complaining about that accuracy or if that inaccuracy is affecting your daily, then you should be buying an atomic Casio instead... I'm sure being 30 secs late for your meeting will be OK..

Please wear and enjoy the Rolex!
99.994% of what? -5s per day is outwith cosc, and 125% outwith Rolex's advertised spec.

So, yes, -5s a day on a watch that is sold as +2/-2 would bug me, yes.

Particularly when I know what this movement is capable of (mine is +2 seconds (maximum) per week)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:08 AM   #48
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Get your watch checked with a real timegrapher for a good baseline instead of using apps.
Old 13 December 2018, 01:56 AM   #49
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
99.994% of what? -5s per day is outwith cosc, and 125% outwith Rolex's advertised spec.

So, yes, -5s a day on a watch that is sold as +2/-2 would bug me, yes.

Particularly when I know what this movement is capable of (mine is +2 seconds (maximum) per week)

There's 86,400 secs in a day, being out by 5s/d means the watch is still 99.994% accurate.

Faster by 5s/d means your going to be 2.5mins faster per month, unless your in a profession that needs super accurate timekeeping, I don't think that matters to the average person. I just check my watch every couple months against my phone and adjust if necessary, it is a mechanical watch at the end of the day and timing can fluctuate in many ways depending how you use your watch.

I would much rather enjoy the watch at +5s/d than worry about this and spend money getting it regulated or if under warranty, wait 8 week turnaround from Rolex. But that's just me, each to their own I suppose!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:00 AM   #50
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

My GMT Master II 116713 is running at a consistent -5.5 seconds a day. I've thought about sending it off for adjustment, but since there isn't much fluctuation in the rate, I'd rather just keep it with me and move it forward a couple minutes ever month. All watches need service eventually, so if the variance changes or other issues arise, I'll be more willing to part with it for the month or two it would require.
Old 13 December 2018, 08:40 PM   #51
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
There's 86,400 secs in a day, being out by 5s/d means the watch is still 99.994% accurate.

Faster by 5s/d means your going to be 2.5mins faster per month, unless your in a profession that needs super accurate timekeeping, I don't think that matters to the average person. I just check my watch every couple months against my phone and adjust if necessary, it is a mechanical watch at the end of the day and timing can fluctuate in many ways depending how you use your watch.

I would much rather enjoy the watch at +5s/d than worry about this and spend money getting it regulated or if under warranty, wait 8 week turnaround from Rolex. But that's just me, each to their own I suppose!
I understand what you are saying, but personally I feel any product should be within the tolerances that the manufacturer has stated it will be.

Rolex has made much of the plus 2/minus 2 seconds per day and as such it's very reasonable to expect the watch to perform in that manner.

I probably won't get my 3235 regulated, even though it is averaging minus 4 seconds per day now, but I think it's reasonable to expect that it should perform as it is guaranteed to perform by the manufacturer.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:03 PM   #52
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasChCh View Post
I understand what you are saying, but personally I feel any product should be within the tolerances that the manufacturer has stated it will be.

Rolex has made much of the plus 2/minus 2 seconds per day and as such it's very reasonable to expect the watch to perform in that manner.

I probably won't get my 3235 regulated, even though it is averaging minus 4 seconds per day now, but I think it's reasonable to expect that it should perform as it is guaranteed to perform by the manufacturer.
Well in the real world the bare uncased movements are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE OF -4+6 seconds to get the certification.And in the first 10 days of testing movement could vary by 10 seconds on any single day and still pass the test.After testing movements are shipped back to Rolex passed and failed yes some do fail.The passed movements are then stored for days,weeks months,perhaps longer.Then movements are checked again in the watches case to this new spec-2+2 which is a good thing.Now when you think of regulation if you sent watch back to Rolex it could take several weeks to get watch back.So Rolex must have some sort of machine to test on several timographs perhaps many at a time as they do sell around now 850000 watches a year.In the real world just because test results on a machine the tested watch has passed this -2+2 spec in a controlled environment at time of testing.But in a uncontrolled environment results on the wrist or on a winding machine could be different.Just like they advertise the performance and fuel consumption in a controlled test environment of today's cars.Again in the real world with the many driving variables traffic how heavy the foot is on the gas pedal.It's doubtful anyone would get the exact car testing results.So just like the results of driving a car,the results of wearing a watch has many variable to over come when wearing on or off wrist.This new -2+2 spec was started first by Omega so Rolex had to follow,but for any mechanical watch to run to the COSC spec is a mechanical marvel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:10 PM   #53
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wouldn’t crack open the watch for that, nope
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote