The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2018, 03:28 PM   #31
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I have 2 from 1970. A red 1680 and a 1675. Both were bought years ago before the prices went crazy. The 1680 was a planned purchase for my birth year. The 1675 was just happened to be from 1970 as well. Both are stamped 70 inside the casebacks.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 05:35 PM   #32
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Not as much as I thought before getting a birth year Watch.

I think the only time it’d really mean anything is if your parents had bought you something at your birth (but then you may end up with a previous year build anyway)

I bought a birth year which was pretty cool telling people it was the same age as me but as soon as I got the same model in better condition I sold the birth year Watch without hesitation.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 08:15 PM   #33
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
For me, birth year doesn't matter at all. Just one of the reasons people like to get vintages I guess?
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 08:49 PM   #34
harvey
"TRF" Member

As I said on another thread buying a birth year watch retrospectively seems like a silly idea as I don't understand it.

However, buying one now for a child's birth and then wearing it and building a history with it, I can understand. To gift it when s/he is eighteen or twenty one is a lovely idea. Wish I had my father's watch.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 09:07 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieBT View Post
I bought my first Rolex about 4 months ago. A 16570 Z serial Polar explorer 2 at the age of 30. As much joy as this watch gives me, I'm always on the lookout for which watch should come next. I have always had a dream of buying a birth year watch, and as i just turned 31, 1987 is the year i'm after.

The funny thing is, when i think of buying a birth year watch, the only brand that i even consider is Rolex. First off, why is that? Has Rolex's giant marketing budget somehow poisoned my mind? Second off, i hate the limitations that puts on me. Because basically that commits me to a Submariner, Datejust or GMT Master. I exclude the Daytona and Explorer because of price point first and foremost, and secondly i have a 36mm Omega Railmaster that i absolutely love and will never leave my collection, so the explorer (although i love the 1016) is too similar.

So i have this image of a 1987 Rolex on my wrist, but with the current vintage Rolex market getting out of control, I wonder if this is worth it?? Now i understand that 1987 isn't exactly vintage, but prices are only creeping north. It makes me think if finding another watch from 1987 from a different brand would be more logical? Or should I toss the birth year watch idea aside and buy something modern that i just love? As watch enthusiasts, i feel we have a tendency to overthink these things.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. What other 1987 watch alternatives can you give me? Talk me into or out of the birth year watch.
Almost impossible to get a exact birth day made watch especially after when Rolex used to mark the case backs with production dates back in the 1960s early 70s. All today's charts can only indicate a rough date between X&Y years when the case was stamped.And this dont always mean when the watch was made, so even the date when the watch was sold does not mean when it was made.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 10:11 PM   #36
Wools
"TRF" Member

It’s about as relevant to me as someone who starts to categorise their watch collection by land, sea & air! Great, & I love the tool watches made by companies like Rolex & IWC for those jobs & enviroments but it feels like you’re adding watches just to fill a 8 watch roll! The same is true for a birth year watch.

For me, it about what Watch speaks to you & what is close to your personality and character. The watch is the important bit, not the year or the collection possibilities.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:21 PM   #37
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If a birth year watch makes a difference to you and you want one, go for it. With that said, I do not understand the birth year watch desire and I consistently see most of the posts discussing it coming from newer members or people that are not as far into collecting. It could be that a lot of the older members hear have already been down that road and no need to discuss or that a lot of the newer collectors use this as an excuse to research and possibly buy. And I am sure there are a lot of other reasons also. With the vintage market exploding and prices through the roof I would buy modern and make my own memories.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:44 PM   #38
benvh
"TRF" Member

To each his own. I'd love to have a birth year watch, not because it's my birth year but because that year had some classic models!

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:59 PM   #39
Dyim
"TRF" Member

It would be great if it was bought by your parents when you were born.

Otherwise, I’d rather make my own history as I wear my watches.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 12:01 AM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
To some, yes.

To me, no.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:50 AM   #41
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 2504.52
This is a good point. I am relatively new to the watch game here. Been into watches for about 5 years. Have made some purchasing mistakes, but I'm sure havent made my last. When you first get into this hobby there is an eagerness to build a collection. Once you've been through some watches and have built a collection you learn to just enjoy the ones you have. I'm getting closer to that point, but still feel like something is missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
If a birth year watch makes a difference to you and you want one, go for it. With that said, I do not understand the birth year watch desire and I consistently see most of the posts discussing it coming from newer members or people that are not as far into collecting. It could be that a lot of the older members hear have already been down that road and no need to discuss or that a lot of the newer collectors use this as an excuse to research and possibly buy. And I am sure there are a lot of other reasons also. With the vintage market exploding and prices through the roof I would buy modern and make my own memories.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SconnieBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 02:00 AM   #42
omitohud
"TRF" Member

I think birth year watch is more significant in vintage than modern collecting. If you don’t like faded look n rackety bracelet then u won’t care if it’s your birth year or the year when the Simpson first broadcast. It’s understandable to get a resounding no in the general forum, but it’s a different story in the vintage section.

Collecting birth year watches is to set an important day as a theme of your collection. The best example of this is the omega speedy. Personally I think the year I was born is pretty significant to me. It’s probably the most important day in your life. In the end it’s a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong.

I have a few subs, gmts, as well as omega speedies and sm300s from my birth year. Good luck.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 06:38 AM   #43
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I use to chase this pipe dream. The truth is all the serial dating is an approximate aggregated by enthusiast data/purchase dates. There is no absolute way to date production/transitions. Condition condition condition.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:34 PM   #44
rbl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bark DD
I like the idea of a birth-year Rolex, but not one that would cost a premium. A stainless DJ for 3k is appealing. An old sub/gmt that costs more than a brand new sub/gmt has zero appeal to me.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:51 PM   #45
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
There are no Rolex models that were introduced in my birth year of 1960. And the things get even more complicated with my month and day - February 29, 1960
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:17 PM   #46
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I would have to find an Hourglass made by Rolex.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:56 PM   #47
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Not to me at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:13 AM   #48
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
There are vintage watches I enjoy, and tons of them would have been produced the same year I was, but the connection doesn't mean anything to me.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:14 AM   #49
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I would have to find an Hourglass made by Rolex.
Ha! At least it's newer than a sundial
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:17 AM   #50
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Only if it matters to you. Frankly I don't get it, you are buying a watch that was most likely produced by the thousands, nothing unique or rare, covered in someone else's history, plus it will be old? How is this special? Would you buy a birth year car? To each their own.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:30 AM   #51
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m not in favor for myself. But if it’s your dream, I think it’ll never be lower in cost than now.

So strike soon if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:47 AM   #52
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Do birth year watches even matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Only if it matters to you. Frankly I don't get it, you are buying a watch that was most likely produced by the thousands, nothing unique or rare, covered in someone else's history, plus it will be old? How is this special? Would you buy a birth year car? To each their own.

U r in the wrong forum bro. Lol

Ps I would love to get my hands on a Porsche 356.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:50 AM   #53
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
You and me are both in competition to find a good birth year watch (1987)!
I'm specifically hoping to find a DJ model though!
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:51 AM   #54
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Doesn't to me, but to each his/her own.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:52 AM   #55
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaline460 View Post
silly idea
+1
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:50 AM   #56
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
A worthy 1987 birth year watch is a Speedy - beautifully vintage with tritium, only going up in value, easily sold, and most importantly a beautiful reference!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:59 AM   #57
Rodolfo_4
"TRF" Member

I think not

You can’t even prove it is your year

Well atleast not to anyone, which is the reason you want it, to start conversation explaining why you are wearing a 40 year old watch
Rodolfo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:04 AM   #58
hondauk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date Tridor
I like the idea of a birth year watch.
I think it’s such a good idea I’ve bought three, one for my grandson and one each for my two granddaughters
Seb is 4 Annabelle is 7 and Rosa is 2
Will hand them over when they are 18 or maybe 21 (if I,m still around)
hondauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:21 AM   #59
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Thinking about it some more

I stand by my original assessment that it’s not for me but to clarify....

It’s not for me if I go out and look for a birth year watch when I’m 40+ now

However I think it IS cool to have a birth year watch if your parents had foresight to purchase a birth year watch for you in the same year you were born. That would be cool

Otherwise going to look for a 40+ year old watch doesn’t hold any significant meaning for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:39 AM   #60
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Here is a bunch of 1987 Rolexes. Just as an enabling tool.

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/search?q=1987
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote