The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2018, 07:44 AM   #1
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43
Should I bother regulating my SD43 at the RSC Sydney AUS?

I have a 40th anniversary Sea Dweller that I bought from a grey dealer last month with an AD stamped and dated Rolex warranty card etc, so it’s still well within warranty.

I’ve given the watch several complete winds over the course of the month (40 odds turns on the crown). However, My watch is losing between 3 to 5 seconds per day, regardless of the crown position when the watch is at rest. When the watch is not being worn, it is placed with the dial facing up with the intention that it will gain time, but this does not actually make any difference at all. I would very much prefer my watch to gain time than to lose time.

I’m tossing up whether I should bother sending my watch into the Sydney RSC for regulation. My biggest hesitation at the moment is that this particular RSC has some fairly negative reviews on google, recent ones as well, especially from customers who sent their watches in for service or regulation and then receiving the watch back with the exact same poor time keeping performance. I could also be without my watch for an extended period time as well, given the shutdown period at this time of year.

What would you guys do in my situation? Keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rowlecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Firstly, according to your account the watch is demonstrating precision. That's great.
And given the state of play with the RSC's here in OZ.
Here are your most viable options as I see them.

1, Live with the watch just as it is and compensate for the loss by setting the watch ahead of time every time you reset the date. As you see fit(perhaps every month?)
The rate may pick up somewhat of it's own accord in the interim. Though it's unlikely.

2, Send it to Melbourne to be adjusted at your convenience in the new year.
See how Melbourne treats you.

Generally, all of mine have only been repaired or serviced at Melbourne with a few exceptions of when I was working abroad.
My Melbourne experience has been mixed with average to very acceptable results when compared to other RSC's.
I do know of one collector here in OZ who will only ever send their Rolex watches to Melbourne.

Let us know how you get on?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I had my BLNR regulated for less deviation than that, but I knew I was going to open it anyway to put on a clear caseback. I don't think I'd personally open it just for that.

You've got the full warranty ahead of you -- there's no rush. If nothing else, wait a few months just to be absolutely sure there isn't an additional problem to fix at the RSC.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:01 PM   #4
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I haven’t had any issues with RSC Sydney in my dealings with them.

The SD43 is presumably meant to be within the new +2/-2 superlative chronometer spec. So you’re certainly entitled to get it regulated within spec and it’s under warranty.

Personally, I would be OK with -3 seconds to -5 seconds, as it is within COSC standards.
Old 7 December 2018, 12:41 PM   #5
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Try to wear the watch 24/7 and see what happens?
Apart from this experiment keep in mind that the rate can change over time. I saw my GMT deviate from +1,5 to -3 and back to -0,5 over two years.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 12:43 PM   #6
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone.

I'm not too concerned yet at -5/day, but I guess I am bothered enough to create a thread on it :P

Maybe I'll wait a few more months and see where things are at before sending it in for regulation.

Cheers
Old 7 December 2018, 12:44 PM   #7
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
Try to wear the watch 24/7 and see what happens?
Apart from this experiment keep in mind that the rate can change over time. I saw my GMT deviate from +1,5 to -3 and back to -0,5 over two years.
Interesting, I'll give that a go!

Thanks
Old 7 December 2018, 12:53 PM   #8
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I must admit, if my watch was losing 5 sec a day it would annoy the hell out of me!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Bigcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1999 SD & SD43
I have exactly the same performance with my SD43. I set it a minute ahead every couple of weeks.
Bigcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:31 PM   #10
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

wow
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:28 PM   #11
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlecks View Post
My watch is losing between 3 to 5 seconds per day, regardless of the crown position when the watch is at rest.

What would you guys do in my situation? Keen to hear your thoughts.
I realize its nice jewelry, but its also supposed to be a precision time-keeping tool! I could buy you a watch that loses 5 seconds a day for a lot less than that. Heck, you could regulate a sub-$1,000 Seiko to 5 seconds/day!

Thus, I would send it to Melbourne to get regulated. Mod Padi would not.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:41 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Well -3 to -5 seconds/day is as precise as you can get.

The question is does the OP try to have this adjusted to -1 to +1 second per day for accuracy.

In theory it can be done but so many things affect precision and will the next thread be a RSC damaged my case/bracelet/crown etc?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 07:09 PM   #13
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It needs regulation, 1 second out of spec, totally unacceptable
Leave the watch alone and wear it, it's perfect already
Old 7 December 2018, 07:43 PM   #14
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
I had the same decision with my sub c. was losing about 4 secs a day from new. Discussed it with my dealer and said it should be regulated. He sent it back to rolex and it is now running at 1 sec per week! very glad I sent it now.
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 07:53 PM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I sent a watch for adjustment for losing 11 seconds per day. It cost me $75 and took over a month. I'm still not certain it was worth it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 08:20 PM   #16
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I would never send my watch to RSC for a difference of 1 second on the -2/+2 that Rolex promotes, I would enjoy my watch!!!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 09:34 PM   #17
peterpl
Banned

What is wrong with Sydney RSC? I've used them numerous times they have been good.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 09:58 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Well -3 to -5 seconds/day is as precise as you can get.

The question is does the OP try to have this adjusted to -1 to +1 second per day for accuracy.

In theory it can be done but so many things affect precision and will the next thread be a RSC damaged my case/bracelet/crown etc?
Have to agree and even if its tested on a machine to say +1 second on the wrist could be different life to short to worry about a few seconds out of 86400.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 10:28 PM   #19
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
It's really disappointing and frustrating when the resources you hope to turn to demonstrate poor quality of service (whether it's your local independent watchmaker or your local RSC). When I'm in that situation, I do everything possible to avoid handing any watch over so such resources.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 10:35 PM   #20
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I wouldn't have it regulated, personally. I'm fine with +10/-10.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 01:23 AM   #21
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I had a similar situation with my DJ41 recently. It was progressively losing time and resting position had zero effect. At -6 s/day I sent it in under warranty. Got it back five weeks ago and average accuracy is within +/- 1s/day depending on how I rest it overnight. The improvement has been amazing. Not sure what RSC found beyond "Check Movement" as was stated on the returned paperwork.

Some on this forum could care less about accuracy and will belittle your concerns. However, accuracy issues can indicate movement issues that a simple regulation will not fix. Apparently that was my situation and I'm now a much happier, more secure Rolex owner. It's your watch and your decision to send it in. Don't know what to tell you about your concerns with the Sydney RSC. Good luck!
Old 8 December 2018, 02:10 AM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
I had a similar situation with my DJ41 recently. It was progressively losing time and resting position had zero effect. At -6 s/day I sent it in under warranty. Got it back five weeks ago and average accuracy is within +/- 1s/day depending on how I rest it overnight. The improvement has been amazing. Not sure what RSC found beyond "Check Movement" as was stated on the returned paperwork.

Some on this forum could care less about accuracy and will belittle your concerns. However, accuracy issues can indicate movement issues that a simple regulation will not fix. Apparently that was my situation and I'm now a much happier, more secure Rolex owner. It's your watch and your decision to send it in. Don't know what to tell you about your concerns with the Sydney RSC. Good luck!
Well can assure you that being 5 seconds out does not indicate movement problems. As regulation via the balance wheel is around 150 seconds either way, if its over the 150 seconds then yes you have a problem.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 December 2018, 02:24 AM   #23
bkatx
"TRF" Member

Personally I wouldn't bother. Too much hassle and I'd rather have the watch. I rotate watches every few weeks, so even the worst ones will only be a minute or two off when they go back in the safe.

That being said, I have a couple of watches that keep phenomenonal time...and I do enjoy them just a tiny bit more because of it
bkatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:31 AM   #24
ajfcpajd
"TRF" Member

My SD43 initially was +1 second a day for the first 15 months i had it. Suddenly it started losing 5-6 seconds a day and seemed to be getting worse. Took it to the dealer and they determined that with the crown down it was losing 12 seconds a day and suggested sending it in. While I hate being without it I want to know why all of a sudden its accrual changed. I hadn't bumped it or dropped it or changed in any way the manner in which I wore it. It's going to be a long few weeks.
ajfcpajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:33 AM   #25
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well can assure you that being 5 seconds out does not indicate movement problems. As regulation via the balance wheel is around 150 seconds either way, if its over the 150 seconds then yes you have a problem.
Based on my experience I absolutely disagree with you. Before going to RSC I had my DJ regulated and it did not hold up.
Old 8 December 2018, 02:36 AM   #26
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
When off overnight, leave the watch with the dial up. Bet it evens out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 02:51 AM   #27
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
Its only been a month or so maybe movement still too new. I would wait a year or so or before warranty expire to have them regulate it. Meantime just enjoy it first.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 03:06 AM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Based on my experience I absolutely disagree with you. Before going to RSC I had my DJ regulated and it did not hold up.
If I remember you had it regulated first but not with a RSC it worked fine, but then it suddenly went to -5 or 6 seconds.So you then sent it to the RSC which IMHO they just re-regulated it nothing more, and now its running under the Rolex spec which now you seem to be happy with.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 December 2018, 03:27 AM   #29
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If I remember you had it regulated first but not with a RSC it worked fine, but then it suddenly went to -5 or 6 seconds.So you then sent it to the RSC which IMHO they just re-regulated it nothing more, and now its running under the Rolex spec which now you seem to be happy with.
It was first regulated by a CW21 at an AD. Ran fine and then began to progressively lose time. Resting position had zero effect. Sent it back to the AD. The CW21 told me he was concerned about "low power"......not the power reserve but "low power" as caused I assume by a movement issue??

In my opinion the RSC did something more than a re-regulation. Not only is the watch running well within specs it is also running very consistently and is affected by resting positions on a consistent basis as well. This performance is better than when brand new (June 2017).

I do wish RSC would give you more info on what they find but that apparently is not their policy.
Old 8 December 2018, 03:34 AM   #30
Panych
"TRF" Member

Personally, I hate when my watch is loosing time. I would regulate it if I am going to keep this watch for a long time.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote