The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2018, 07:06 PM   #1
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Recent London AD experience

I would consider myself a good customer for this particular AD, having spent approx £100k this year with them. Earlier this week I got a call about a couple of bits they had in and ended up buying a 116519. Not an insignificant purchase.

We are all aware of the recent AD practice of withholding cards in the UK with some stories of removing stickers etc but given I'm a good customer I never expected myself to experience that. The withholding of the card is an established practice. At the beginning of the year, despite stories of ADs doing this, my AD had no issues with giving me the whole set as per old ways. By August they had insisted on holding the card much to my annoyance but it was a director level instruction and non negotiable. However earlier this week they really took the biscuit by insisting they have to remove ALL the stickers. I tend to keep a few on until they naturally fall off just to protect against desk scuffs etc but they would not allow it. It was like buying a new car and the dealer insisting on driving it for the first 1000miles.

I understand the rationale but this is REALLY starting to piss customers off. What's laughable is the fact that grey dealers are now quite happy to buy watches without stickers and card because they know UK ADs do this. So all this practice is actually doing is annoying loyal customers.

Own goal Rolex.
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:22 PM   #2
hot66
"TRF" Member

You buy a new car with all the transport packaging / protection removed and the car then goes through a pre sale prep etc ... no different to watch coming out of its transit box and being de stickers. .....it’s nothing like having a car driven for 1000 miles pre collection as that would then be used

I personally can’t see any issues with stickers removed if you’re going to wear it. Holding cards I’d prefer didn’t happen though.
hot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:36 PM   #3
LPan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
You buy a new car with all the transport packaging / protection removed and the car then goes through a pre sale prep etc ... no different to watch coming out of its transit box and being de stickers. .....it’s nothing like having a car driven for 1000 miles pre collection as that would then be used

I personally can’t see any issues with stickers removed if you’re going to wear it. Holding cards I’d prefer didn’t happen though.
I would tend to disagree. As the user I prefer to have my stickers on and if I'm buying the AD should honour my wishes. The standard practice of removing a car's 'packaging' has always been the norm but if I was buying an AMG from Mercedes which is not their run of the mill vehicle and would be considered high end (similar to the 116519 in this case) and I instructed them to leave it as per how it came out of the Affalterbach factory (after of course carrying out their pre delivery checks so that the vehicle is fit for purpose) then I am 100% sure they will oblige.
Perhaps my intention is to put the watch in the safe and use it as a gift/inheritence for my kids. Maybe, like me, you want the stickers on to preserve it for as long as you can whilst you wear it? After you remove stickers then it is technically a used watch. The same way a new car is technically used after the dealership registers it even though it has not been driven. I receive a discount for that so should I not expect the same from Rolex?
The people who have ruined the market are not the end users, they are not the flippers and they are not even the grey dealers. It is the ADs who took stock from Rolex and then sold them out the back door to greys rather than honouring their waiting lists or putting them in the window.
As I say, it all serves to just annoy the customer.
Old 13 December 2018, 07:43 PM   #4
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
I agree with OP. This practice of removing stickers has not deterred greys at all. As a matter of fact, prices since the introduction of this practice has not failed to rise, because customers know that its the AD practice now so they're fine with no stickers also.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:47 PM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
There is no rationale for it.
I know stickers serve no purpose at all, but I just like to peel them off and size the bracelet in my home. Nice and quiet and nobody looking over my shoulder. Sort of getting to know my new watch.
To some this sounds silly, but I enjoy it very much.

Good thing is we have grey dealers who supply you any watch exactly the way you prefer.
Old 13 December 2018, 08:02 PM   #6
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
I tend to keep a few on until they naturally fall off just to protect against desk scuffs etc but they would not allow it.
I have to agree with you. I like to keep the stickers on especially on the clasp until they finally peel off.

The holding of the card doesn't bother me so much as I know I will get that in a year or so but removing all the stickers is very annoying.
Yeldraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:23 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The stickers thing is well over a year old, anyone getting pi**ed about it now sends a red flag to an AD, be cool.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:37 PM   #8
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I would not buy the watch if my card was going to be kept for a year and if it was required that the stickers be removed. I don't really want the stickers. I'm just not the type who likes to be told by a retailer what I am to do with my purchase. They would find a buyer who likes to be told what to do. And I would just go buy a GS, much nicer than Rolex anyway. Or maybe an Omega.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:43 PM   #9
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
What's laughable is the fact that grey dealers are now quite happy to buy watches without stickers and card because they know UK ADs do this. So all this practice is actually doing is annoying loyal customers.
yes, completely agree. this is stupid and pron to sell used watches under "removed by AD" cover condition.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:50 PM   #10
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
yes, completely agree. this is stupid and pron to sell used watches under "removed by AD" cover condition.
Watches with out the "stickers removed by AD" are fetching $500 to $1000 more. I guess the greys can slip the AD $100 bill and the stickers get left on. Funny thing is buyers some probably on this forum will pay the extra for stickers.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:53 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I would consider myself a good customer for this particular AD, having spent approx £100k this year with them. Earlier this week I got a call about a couple of bits they had in and ended up buying a 116519. Not an insignificant purchase.

We are all aware of the recent AD practice of withholding cards in the UK with some stories of removing stickers etc but given I'm a good customer I never expected myself to experience that. The withholding of the card is an established practice. At the beginning of the year, despite stories of ADs doing this, my AD had no issues with giving me the whole set as per old ways. By August they had insisted on holding the card much to my annoyance but it was a director level instruction and non negotiable. However earlier this week they really took the biscuit by insisting they have to remove ALL the stickers. I tend to keep a few on until they naturally fall off just to protect against desk scuffs etc but they would not allow it. It was like buying a new car and the dealer insisting on driving it for the first 1000miles.

I understand the rationale but this is REALLY starting to piss customers off. What's laughable is the fact that grey dealers are now quite happy to buy watches without stickers and card because they know UK ADs do this. So all this practice is actually doing is annoying loyal customers.

Own goal Rolex.
Well in buying a new car all the protective body and internal protective stickers are removed before selling. In the real world once the watch is sold to customer what good are the stickers except for once place the waste bin. But agree the warranty card should be given to the customer, no warranty card no sale for me, as for the stickers they can stick them up where the sun dont shine watch is the important item.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:08 PM   #12
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The stickers thing is well over a year old, anyone getting pi**ed about it now sends a red flag to an AD, be cool.
The sticker thing is not over a year old for me. It came into force for my AD in October this year.

As for getting pi**ed about it I have every right to question it when I've spent all that money. Whether or not they still leave them on or not is upto them but it still annoys me.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:18 PM   #13
LPan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldraw View Post
The sticker thing is not over a year old for me. It came into force for my AD in October this year.

As for getting pi**ed about it I have every right to question it when I've spent all that money. Whether or not they still leave them on or not is upto them but it still annoys me.
Agree, I've bought 5 pieces from my AD through out the year and this is the first time they've been insistent on the stickers.
As for the rest of your message, Amen brother.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:20 PM   #14
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Get over it!!!

Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:22 PM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
Get over it!!!

Exactly............
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:23 PM   #16
LPan
"TRF" Member

You're missing the point here pal. I ultimately accepted it and bought the watch so I lumped it. The point of the thread was actually just to convey what happened and to say that all its doing is annoying its loyal customers. If we continue to buy the watches from ADs then we do get over it. Doesn't mean its not an annoyance.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:29 PM   #17
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're missing the point here pal. I ultimately accepted it and bought the watch so I lumped it. The point of the thread was actually just to convey what happened and to say that all its doing is annoying its loyal customers. If we continue to buy the watches from ADs then we do get over it. Doesn't mean its not an annoyance.
Exactly..............
Old 13 December 2018, 11:33 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
It may annoy some about the warranty card, but the stickers why the hell would anyone get annoyed about some useless bits of plastic.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 December 2018, 11:44 PM   #19
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
It may annoy some about the warranty card, but the stickers why the hell would anyone get annoyed about some useless bits of plastic.
I would hardly say useless especially the ones on the clasp. The stickers aren't really that noticeable to most people so don't detract from the watch but still offer some protection against scratches.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:45 PM   #20
Horatio
Banned

Quote:

Have to disagree with this. He’s spent £100k in last 12 months. He deserves better treatment. First purchase, second purchase, maybe. But £100k in 12 months? I’d be pissed
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:51 PM   #21
T01
"TRF" Member

Who cares about the stickers. They get gross after a week or so anyway.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:56 PM   #22
Vipes
"TRF" Member

My AD removes all stickers for any new Rolex purchase. My SA told me a story about a long time customer who spent over $500K and was upset about stickers. The SA apologized but said the policy applies to everyone.

Really no big deal, IMO since I don't keep stickers on my Rolexes anyways. No different than buying a Patek; they don't come with stickers.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:04 AM   #23
harvey
"TRF" Member

If the AD tells you BEFORE the transaction what they intend to do with regards warranty card, stickers, tags etc then you have a choice to make. There is nothing to complain about really as you can take it or leave it. It's their playground. It's that simple.

It's hardly an own goal as you still bought the watch.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:07 AM   #24
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

OP, spending a large amount at an AD then expecting the rules to not apply to you might be considered snobby/funny to some. Why again would the rules not apply to you? If an AD wants to continue to sell Rolex, they need to follow the rules Rolex lays out. The rules are for everyone. Even you.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:23 AM   #25
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I picked up my 116519LN a couple of weeks ago, and all stickers were intact. I was also allowed to keep the warranty card, bezel protector, etc. The only thing I didn't take was the coffin. Although, I never asked for it either.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:24 AM   #26
LPan
"TRF" Member

One has to consider why the rules are there in the first place. To discourage flippers or those looking to take advantage of the arbitrage between AD and grey. It is designed to protect the loyal customer, me, therefore no I don't expect that rule to apply and expect some discretion. But like I've said I lumped it so it wasn't a deal breaker. Just annoyed at the practice.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:26 AM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldraw View Post
I would hardly say useless especially the ones on the clasp. The stickers aren't really that noticeable to most people so don't detract from the watch but still offer some protection against scratches.
If you are going to worry and fret over a few minor everyday wearing scratches best not buy a Rolex.All these everyday wearing scratches easily rectified at normal routine service.After service watch will look like new, only to get scratched again.Trouble today Rolex watch wearers think they must pamper there watches and wrap them in cotton wool with protection from this or that.Special resting cloths and all the rest of today's paraphernalia its a watch yes its a expensive watch but just a watch meant to be worn and not sticker pampered.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 December 2018, 12:31 AM   #28
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One has to consider why the rules are there in the first place. To discourage flippers or those looking to take advantage of the arbitrage between AD and grey. It is designed to protect the loyal customer, me, therefore no I don't expect that rule to apply and expect some discretion. But like I've said I lumped it so it wasn't a deal breaker. Just annoyed at the practice.
Do you realize the situation it puts your AD in? They either have to follow Rolex rules, or risk their good standing with Rolex to meet a customer’s demands.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:38 AM   #29
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Recent London AD experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

I agree, Peter.

In my opinion, it is a service enhancement to remove the stickers, and I’d like them to always:

• go over the entire watch (bracelet, clasp and case) with alcohol wipes to remove all traces of residual adhesive.

• size it.

• then safely steam clean it and buff with microfiber.

• wind it fully, set the time, date, day, etc as appropriate.

•put it on a Witschi (or better) to record and print out the accuracy upon delivery.

• run a dry pressure test to 10 bars (or 3ATM for dress watch) and print the results.

Now as far as that darn card - they can keep it along with my boxes, booklets and whatnot in their own safe until hell freezes over or I ask for it. Saves room in my safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:41 AM   #30
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think a more apt comparison would be for the dealer to insist upon doing a full dealer prep, which may include washing the car with a dirty old rag and scratching up the paint.

The point is, the less someone else handles the watch (or car), the better...especially when that person may not be as careful as the owner would prefer. IMO, if you’re paying sticker price for something, the stickers should be your prerogative, but that’s not the reality.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote