The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 November 2018, 10:14 PM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Polar Explorer II for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 10:34 PM   #32
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5050 View Post
There is just something about the Air King that I like. The more pictures I see of them, the more I’d like to find one in person. I also really like the polar explorer. The price of the 5 digits have dropped to where they would be less than an AK so that’s where the dilemma comes into play.
The 5 digit ExpII haven't dropped in price so not sure about that comment.. If you comparing preowned 5 digit (since they were discontinued many years ago) to brand new AK, then they have always been cheaper, but definitely starting to catch up rather than dropping.

For me the ExpII has 2 extra complications that are very useful. The AK dial also seems way to cluttered for me with no extra complications. I would choose the ExpI over AK if I was looking for a time only watch.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 11:31 PM   #33
ak5659
"TRF" Member

I travel quite a bit, and so for the longest time I wanted a GMT watch. I have a few watches, both analog and digital, that have multiple time zones that I used to "try out" a GMT before I made a commitment. I found I really didn't use/need the GMT complication and what I really wanted was a good three hand watch I would enjoy looking at all the time. The Ex I was too plain, and I just didn't like the bezel on the the Ex II on top of not needing the GMT. The Air-King ended up being the watch that really made me happy, so that became the easy choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ak5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 12:21 AM   #34
alphasports
"TRF" Member

I borrowed my brother's 6 month old AK a few weeks ago since he never really liked it too much, but I always did due to its quirkiness. We were going to do AK plus cash for my GMT LN so we swapped for a couple weeks to test. Strange thing: loved it at first then got tired of the weird dial quite quickly. By "weird" I mean the gold 3-6-9 in particular, plus the fact there is no lume except on the hands and 12 indicator. IMO the 3-6-9 should continue the numeric indexes on the rest of the dial, i.e. 15-30-45, and be lumed. It is also a very thick/heavy watch that might bother some.

I also have an Explorer 214270 so that makes the AK vaguely redundant anyway, that might have been part of my problem.

Still like the AK, but in a choice between the Exp2 and AK, Exp2 all day long.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 12:23 AM   #35
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-57 View Post
it really comes down to the one you want the most, since it's you who will be buying it and wearing it. If it's a dead heat, you can buy the first one that turns up or maybe in the longer term, own both.

For me the polar is miles out in front in that pair. But i'm not you.
+1
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 12:24 AM   #36
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
That's what I thought, thanks for the info. My vote is for the polar explorer.
Absolutely, and the 6 digit value will go up aswell, i am sure. my vote: go for polar AK is cool, but just to add not as a only!
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 02:37 AM   #37
stan5050
"TRF" Member

I should add the only other Rolex I own is a Hulk so maybe that’s why the Air King is speaking to me. I will probably end up with both at some point, I guess I was just thinking maybe the AK will start to appreciate if it gains in popularity like the Hulk. Whereas I should buy that one first since the Exp is still under MSRP.

I am a complete noob to all of this so that’s just what was going through my head.
stan5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 11:29 PM   #38
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Polar exp
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 12:36 AM   #39
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I agree with many of the fine gents above - get what YOU want. If your heart sings every time you look at an Air King, that’s the one. If your browsing history is full of five digit polar bookmarks with pictures to boot, then that is the one for you. All of us will tell you how to spend money and what we like on our subjective tastes - but this is your watch so get what makes you happy and then post a ton of wrist shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I actually had your exact same dilemma when I was looking to buy my first Rolex.

I had been craving an Air King 116900 for it's aesthetics, it does it for me. The green accents with the gold crown, the only Rolex in the modern line with the Rolex and Crown logo in official brand name colors. I loved the dial, I don't find it busy, but intricate and useful. I use my timepieces to tell the time so that I don't have to pull out my obnoxious cell phone, so legibility is a big deele for me, and the Air King's legibility is superior. I love the sporty look, with the refined finish. I've worn it with a sport coat and jeans, and I've worn it with sweats, it looks at home in both cases. It gives the right amount of refinement, while still boldly going against the grain.

The Polar II was my other choice, because I travel a lot and wanted to have that GMT function. I certainly like the white dial of the Polar, it didn't captivate me in the way the Air King dial did. At the end of the day, it didn't give me the same excitement that the Air King did.

I went with the Air King and couldn't be happier! Go with your gut, go with what you like. If you're obsessing about the Air King, Get it! If you're obsessing about the Polar, get it!!

-----

Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #40
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Polar - no doubt about it! I love mine.
Old 28 November 2018, 02:07 AM   #41
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Polar, 10 times out of 10.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 02:11 AM   #42
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Love both. The Air King was my daily for a year then l traded it to my AD for a Polar.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 03:40 AM   #43
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
Just get what you like ...
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote