The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2009, 04:08 AM   #1
AndersB
"TRF" Member

Crown sticking on outer thread

I sometimes experience that the crown sticks on the outer (final) thread when being unscrewed. I can keep turning the crown but it doesn't go loose till after a few turns. Anyone having experienced something similar and/or knows the reason?
AndersB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 04:38 AM   #2
richbrowne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersB View Post
I sometimes experience that the crown sticks on the outer (final) thread when being unscrewed. I can keep turning the crown but it doesn't go loose till after a few turns. Anyone having experienced something similar and/or knows the reason?
Hi.
Yep, I get this on my TT Daytona. I spoke with Rolex UK about it and it would appear to be quite common. I was told that there is no problem with the crown and that it often releases when you start to turn it clockwise. This is the case with mine.
richbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:09 AM   #3
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Yup! I sometimes have the same problem. Don't know the reason.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:12 AM   #4
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
At the last thread, when the crown is "clear", it should jump out. If it doesn' t, it means that either the spring is not strong or the rubber seal in the shaft is very tight.

There is no way that it unscrews normally all the way out and sticks to the last thread.

When opened, have a look with a loupe, are the threads nicelly triangular or worn ?

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:44 AM   #5
richbrowne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
At the last thread, when the crown is "clear", it should jump out. If it doesn' t, it means that either the spring is not strong or the rubber seal in the shaft is very tight.

There is no way that it unscrews normally all the way out and sticks to the last thread.

When opened, have a look with a loupe, are the threads nicelly triangular or worn ?
I find that mine often stops on the last thread and then if I just partly turn the crown clockwise, it then jumps proud. I was told that it is nothing to worry about.
Old 19 March 2009, 04:11 AM   #6
AndersB
"TRF" Member

Thank guys! This was very helpful. George, yes the threads are still in very good shape. Could be though that the crown doesn't actually stick on the thread (although the position would indicate that) but, rather, sticks because there's something further inside that prevents it from jumping out right away.
Old 19 March 2009, 05:55 AM   #7
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Thank guys! This was very helpful. George, yes the threads are still in very good shape. Could be though that the crown doesn't actually stick on the thread (although the position would indicate that) but, rather, sticks because there's something further inside that prevents it from jumping out right away.

Nice to hear because a worn tread means a new neck and possibly a crown also.

I had a Daytona in the past, and I had to change 3 times the neck due to wear caused by the unscrew-screw the crown for winding the watch (manual). This is the reason I became an EXPERT on crown treads and I dislike since then the Daytonas, though now they are automatics and almost everybody seems to be after them. I am NOT

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2009, 05:58 AM   #8
scottjal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I think what you are all talking about (damaged crown tube threads aside) is the engagement of the winding mechanism. When you push the crown in to start screwing it in the crown stem is disengaged from the winding gears so you can screw it in easily. When you unscrew it if the gears don't match up it won't pop out all the way until you start winding a bit, the gears slip in the right position and the crown pops into the winding position.

This is actually a Rolex feature. Other watches like ETA based ones don't do this and you are actually winding it while screwing down the crown.
Old 19 March 2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Whiskey
Banned

Watch: Deepsea
I had this same issue on my now gone SD4000, as well as my current Deepsea.

Seems like it's just a Rolex feature as was mentioned above.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2009, 02:44 PM   #10
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
Mine seems to pop right out. Winds great and threads back in just fine as well.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2009, 11:45 PM   #11
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
This is very common and no cause for alarm. And yes, a momentary clockwise turn should free the crown.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2009, 01:31 AM   #12
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Very good information discussed here. Sometimes when I go to screw back in the crown it doesn't catch and screw all the way in. It sometimes takes a little while before it screws back in all the way. My AD said when I'm having this problem(doesn't happen all the time), to turn the crown counter clockwise a little and then screw the crown in the rest of the way. This seems to work!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2009, 07:24 PM   #13
richbrowne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Very good information discussed here. Sometimes when I go to screw back in the crown it doesn't catch and screw all the way in. It sometimes takes a little while before it screws back in all the way. My AD said when I'm having this problem(doesn't happen all the time), to turn the crown counter clockwise a little and then screw the crown in the rest of the way. This seems to work!!!
Mmm, what was your ADs explanation of why this was happening? That does sound to me like it is possibly cross threading towards the end of the thread, but I'm no expert.
Old 21 March 2009, 12:06 AM   #14
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
This is normal for screw-down crowns, has happened on every one I've had and not just Rolex.

Not a worry, but a factor in why I love the push-pull crown (yet still 200M w/r) on this beastie...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fortis1.jpg (52.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 21 March 2009, 12:35 AM   #15
Sparky CRNA

Watch: GMT IIc 116713
I agree, they usually "pop out" after a slight forward nudge after clearing the threads! I also give a very slight backwards turn when starting to screw it down so as to prevent cross threading, especially on a gold crown (being softer than steel).

Sparky
Sparky CRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2009, 03:27 AM   #16
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjal View Post
I think what you are all talking about (damaged crown tube threads aside) is the engagement of the winding mechanism. When you push the crown in to start screwing it in the crown stem is disengaged from the winding gears so you can screw it in easily. When you unscrew it if the gears don't match up it won't pop out all the way until you start winding a bit, the gears slip in the right position and the crown pops into the winding position.

This is actually a Rolex feature. Other watches like ETA based ones don't do this and you are actually winding it while screwing down the crown.
now that's interesting and informative!

steve
Old 21 March 2009, 03:48 AM   #17
AndersB
"TRF" Member

Glad so many have joined the discussion. Thanks again. Lots of good info.
Old 21 March 2009, 05:22 AM   #18
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
This is normal for screw-down crowns, has happened on every one I've had and not just Rolex.

Not a worry, but a factor in why I love the push-pull crown (yet still 200M w/r) on this beastie...
Ironic you would post a pic of a Fortis on this thread. The ONLY crown problem I have ever had w/ any watch maker was with a B-42 Pilot Pro Chrono Alarm.

The first time I screwed the crown back in after adjusting the time the crown snapped right off. I was in shock because the level of pressure I used was close to nil. After it was returned for service/new crown, it arrived in the mail and much to my surprise one of the chrono hands had fallen off during shipment and was just floating around inside the case.

Needless to say the watch was returned for a full refund and I've never looked to Fortis again. I realize this was probably a freak lemon watch as I know many have said great things about Fortis, but I just can't get that experience out of my mind. Sorry for the hi-jack...I just had to vent.

Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2009, 09:30 PM   #19
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Ironic you would post a pic of a Fortis on this thread. The ONLY crown problem I have ever had w/ any watch maker was with a B-42 Pilot Pro Chrono Alarm.

The first time I screwed the crown back in after adjusting the time the crown snapped right off. I was in shock because the level of pressure I used was close to nil. After it was returned for service/new crown, it arrived in the mail and much to my surprise one of the chrono hands had fallen off during shipment and was just floating around inside the case.

Needless to say the watch was returned for a full refund and I've never looked to Fortis again. I realize this was probably a freak lemon watch as I know many have said great things about Fortis, but I just can't get that experience out of my mind. Sorry for the hi-jack...I just had to vent.

Cheers.

Gosh, I'm not surprised you wouldn't go back to Fortis after those experiences. I know they had problems with their screw-down crowns, and moved to push-pull instead on most models. I had an old 40mm Pilot Professional with a screw-down and it was tricky to use. Sold it in the end, although the crown wasn't a factor.

Cheers
Old 22 March 2009, 04:29 AM   #20
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Gosh, I'm not surprised you wouldn't go back to Fortis after those experiences. I know they had problems with their screw-down crowns, and moved to push-pull instead on most models. I had an old 40mm Pilot Professional with a screw-down and it was tricky to use. Sold it in the end, although the crown wasn't a factor.

Cheers
That's interesting...do you happen to know when those problems were occurring? My purchase was mid '05. I still love the looks of many Fortis models, yet I just can't get over that episode.

Funny how first experiences can ruin you forever. I have owned numerous Omega's over the years and they have all been bulletproof, yet I remember reading a story about an individual that ran into similar problems that I did w/ his first Omega purchase - he swore off the brand and admitted how he would NEVER buy another.

Sorry for the Fortis hi-jack...I'm just a little curious. Viva la Rolex (even w/ sticking crowns!!!)
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 10:25 AM   #21
redmoon

Glad to have read this thread :) . I was planning on mailing my watch to the Rolex Beverly Hills service centre for this same issue. Glad to know its not a defect!
redmoon is offline   Reply With Quote