The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2016, 06:58 AM   #1
Mrbez
"TRF" Member

Crown rotation not smooth

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a pre owned Datejust, and I am extremely happy with it. (JVMartin was a great seller!)

There is one slight issue with it, as it relates to the rotation of the crown.

If I rotate the crown to move the minute hand forward, the rotation is not smooth. It jumps slightly, as though there is slight friction happening somewhere (Think of the mini tick sensation that the second hand does when operating). You can feel a slight clicking sensation in the crown when doing this.

If I go back in time, the movement is completely smooth. If I push the crown in, to adjust the date, the movement is completely smooth in both directions.

Now I had this watch serviced before I received it, and the person who did this said this is a common fault with this watch. 90's Datejust. He said that in order to fix it, some platinum would need to be applied to a worn post inside the watch - He explained that this is how they resolved this issue at RSC and that at present, it wouldn't affect time keeping at all or break the movement.

I just wanted to know if any of you here had had this issue previously, have you heard of it, or do you know more about what it could be?

The service worker said that he would need to keep the watch for another few days as he was booked up, which I couldn't do as I am travelling this weekend and wanted the watch before then, so they shipped it to me overnight.

Thanks in advance.
Mrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 07:23 AM   #2
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I'm assuming that ROLEX RSC did not Service it just recently...?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Mrbez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
I'm assuming that ROLEX RSC did not Service it just recently...?
Hey Luminous,

Correct, they have not had it recently.
Mrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 07:30 AM   #4
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbez View Post
Hey Luminous,

Correct, they have not had it recently.
How do you feel about the Service guy you spoke to vs taking it to the RSC and getting a second opinion?

I think new, not fixed parts are in order...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 04:00 AM   #5
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Take a look at this review/discussion of the 3135...

http://www.chronometrie.com/rolex3135/rolex3135.html

Part of the discussion of the 'weakness' of the 3135 is the set post which can wear down; I believe that gear turns when you set the time and if it's worn I'd guess you'll get the clicking/friction you describe. Since it's part of the main plate, then yes the only fix would be replacing the main plate or trying to add metal to it. I don't know if RSC actually fixes it by adding metal or will insist on replacing the main plate.

Hope this helps.
sigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 04:08 AM   #6
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Could be the crown assembly. Before you rotate clockwise, turn it anti clockwise a few turns before pulling out to set the time and see if that makes a differance.
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote