The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 30 March 2014, 03:11 PM   #1
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Icon10 New Watch - New Review - The DeepSea SeaDweller

One of the watches that always fascinated me is the DeepSea SeaDweller. Despite the size, I always appreciated the engineering and details that are in the Rolex DeepSea.

Also appealing is that the DeepSea has functions and details found on no other Rolex model. Like my other favorite Rolex, the revised 42mm Explorer II, the DeepSea is only available in 904L stainless steel. The DeepSea aspects that speak to me (aka -are just cool) are the crystal, bracelet clasp, and the titanium ring lock caseback. These details are what drew me to the watch and are the same features that are found on no other watch, including ones in the Rolex line.

There is more to the review at http://www.minus4plus6.com/deepsea.htm

All errors and omissions are mine, so feel free to point them out

-Sheldon
Old 31 March 2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Gulfstream
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the fine review!

I was particularly glad to see the high-resolution pictures of the DSSD and the Explorer 42mm because I'm pondering which one to buy next.
Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2014, 12:41 AM   #3
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
very nice. great job.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 05:13 PM   #5
jeanjean
Banned

Many thanks Sheldon, a great review.I just had ordered my SDDS and I will pick it up
2nd of June on the way to Malaysia, for sure a great trip !
Cheers
Jean
jeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 10:21 PM   #6
NewDaytonaMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
hi JeanJean... Congrats on getting your new Rolex; I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing it on your wrist! Just curious.... is there any particular advantage in buying a Rolex in Malaysia?
NewDaytonaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2014, 01:28 PM   #7
jeanjean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDaytonaMan View Post
hi JeanJean... Congrats on getting your new Rolex; I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing it on your wrist! Just curious.... is there any particular advantage in buying a Rolex in Malaysia?
Hi NewDaytonaMan,
thank you, in fact I will enjoy it in Kuala but not got it here.Was quoted 32 000
ringit on grey market in Kuala few months ago.
Cheers.
JJ
jeanjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very interesting review - I always enjoy visiting your site
Old 27 May 2014, 07:31 AM   #9
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Epic watch - amazing piece of engineering!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2014, 01:38 PM   #10
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Excellent review.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 06:27 AM   #11
crazyforwatches18
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitlings
Great review, thank you!
crazyforwatches18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Rolexpharm
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the awesome review
Rolexpharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 05:25 AM   #13
mikli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller Fan
Great write up on the link!
mikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2014, 01:38 AM   #14
tom scotland
"TRF" Member

puting a deepsea blue edition face on deepsea

I have two Rolex Deepsea watches, both 2013,i wondered if anyone had any comment re. getting a blue edition face and putting it on of them, just for my own pleasure.
tom scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Onceupon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400G,216570,
Thank You

Thank you for the great post!!!

Love hearing your thoughts.
Onceupon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2014, 02:09 AM   #16
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Great review, thanks!
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 08:43 PM   #17
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Excellent review!
Old 6 September 2014, 08:47 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thanks for the review, the DSSD is truly one of a kind
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 11:13 PM   #19
RollieVerde
Banned

Brilliant job. My only wish is you had been diving with it, as one of the things that can be an issue with bigger, heavier dive watches is the band can get loose as your wet suit compresses with depth. You could adjust the glidelock if it loosened up too much I suppose, but how hard is it to do w/heavy gloves under water? The Pelagos has an ingenious way of dealing with this, although with all the springs and such I wonder about long-term durability.

Again, wonderfully comprehensive review with superb images. Any thoughts on the new Challenge dial?
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2014, 09:23 AM   #20
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

The GlideLock clasp is adjustable while worn, but tightening it while wearing it might be somewhat tougher.

I was not sure about the D-Blue dial, but after seeing it in person, I'd consider owning it. If the D-Blue dial was out when I purchased my DSSD, I probably would have gone with the D-Blue. Below are some thoughts on the dial from a blog post I did a few weeks ago:

What perhaps throws most longtime Rolex followers is something that my wife pointed out to me when she saw the dial. She pointed out that the dial is an “ombre” blend from sky-blue to black obviously representing the decent down to the deep ocean. She showed in Google images how ombre blends are prevalent in the fashion world from hair to clothing. Finding an ombre blend on a watch face is very rare. Most watches have high contrast dials (eg. Rolex Paul Newman dial), or pop-colors found on Swatch watches, but rarely is there a blend like the D-blue watch face. A close examination of the D-blue dial shows how the blue fades inconsistently into black, just as a cross section of an ocean. Most Rolex fans are used to consistent dials, especially on a specially designed watch such as the DeepSea. Despite the noise in the Internet forums, we at <name omitted> think this is a great watch and the commemorative colors make the watch even more special. The DSSD is already a special watch with a provenance taking it under the North Pole and trekking to the deepest parts of the earth....
Old 7 September 2014, 12:16 PM   #21
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post
The GlideLock clasp is adjustable while worn, but tightening it while wearing it might be somewhat tougher.

I was not sure about the D-Blue dial, but after seeing it in person, I'd consider owning it. If the D-Blue dial was out when I purchased my DSSD, I probably would have gone with the D-Blue. Below are some thoughts on the dial from a blog post I did a few weeks ago:

What perhaps throws most longtime Rolex followers is something that my wife pointed out to me when she saw the dial. She pointed out that the dial is an “ombre” blend from sky-blue to black obviously representing the decent down to the deep ocean. She showed in Google images how ombre blends are prevalent in the fashion world from hair to clothing. Finding an ombre blend on a watch face is very rare. Most watches have high contrast dials (eg. Rolex Paul Newman dial), or pop-colors found on Swatch watches, but rarely is there a blend like the D-blue watch face. A close examination of the D-blue dial shows how the blue fades inconsistently into black, just as a cross section of an ocean. Most Rolex fans are used to consistent dials, especially on a specially designed watch such as the DeepSea. Despite the noise in the Internet forums, we at <name omitted> think this is a great watch and the commemorative colors make the watch even more special. The DSSD is already a special watch with a provenance taking it under the North Pole and trekking to the deepest parts of the earth....
Ombre blend. You learn something new every day. I have seen a few custom paint jobs on cars and motorcycles, and sometimes it works and sometimes it looks a bit odd. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing the new DeepSea in person. Thanks your wife for the excellent observation.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2014, 08:20 AM   #22
otisc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV HULK
Very nice review.
otisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 01:39 PM   #23
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
Brilliant job. My only wish is you had been diving with it, as one of the things that can be an issue with bigger, heavier dive watches is the band can get loose as your wet suit compresses with depth. You could adjust the glidelock if it loosened up too much I suppose, but how hard is it to do w/heavy gloves under water? The Pelagos has an ingenious way of dealing with this, although with all the springs and such I wonder about long-term durability.

Again, wonderfully comprehensive review with superb images. Any thoughts on the new Challenge dial?
I am an avid scuba diver, ( I dive practically every week in cold water) I put my watch under my wet suit. I use my dive computer as my primary and gauges as back-up, the mechanical watch is only use as a third redundancy, in the unlikely event my computer and gauges failed...
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote