The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do I swap for the blue dial?
Once you go blue you'll never go back 131 58.48%
Stick with the black 93 41.52%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 November 2018, 01:05 PM   #121
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
He noticed my WG BLRO, and commented that is an extremely rare piece and I should feel pretty good about owning it.
Good info. Thanks for the update. Not to get you to second-guess yourself, but just imagine how rare the blue-dial version will be (unless Rolex releases another version of it).
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 01:07 PM   #122
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
If Rolex permanently discontinues the blue dial, and I don't see why it wouldn't be permanent, then the blue dial will be the shortest production run ever and will be ultra rare.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 01:15 PM   #123
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
If Rolex permanently discontinues the blue dial, and I don't see why it wouldn't be permanent, then the blue dial will be the shortest production run ever and will be ultra rare.
A lot of people think it might be reincarnated as a 126719 with a 3285 movement. That wouldn't make the blue-dial 116719 technically any less rare, but if there's another version that looks virtually the same, it might not seem as rare.
Old 8 November 2018, 01:19 PM   #124
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
A lot of people think it might be reincarnated as a 126719 with a 3285 movement. That wouldn't make the blue-dial 116719 technically any less rare, but if there's another version that looks virtually the same, it might not seem as rare.
maybe I'm being dense, but if any black dial owner is allowed to switch to blue for free (but not switch back to black), and if the reference is the same so there's no way of distinguishing once a switch has been made whether a watch was originally produced with a blue or black dial, wouldn't it potentially be the WG black dial that ends up being the most rare?
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 01:26 PM   #125
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
maybe I'm being dense, but if any black dial owner is allowed to switch to blue for free (but not switch back to black), and if the reference is the same so there's no way of distinguishing once a switch has been made whether a watch was originally produced with a blue or black dial, wouldn't it potentially be the WG black dial that ends up being the most rare?
It all depends on how many black-dial owners switch to blue, and how long Rolex offers the exchange. If the exchange is a limited-time offer, and most owners passed on it, that makes the blue dial much more rare.
Old 8 November 2018, 01:45 PM   #126
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Going to brag a little bit in this thread and show off the addition I picked up at the event tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 8 November 2018, 01:54 PM   #127
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It all depends on how many black-dial owners switch to blue, and how long Rolex offers the exchange. If the exchange is a limited-time offer, and most owners passed on it, that makes the blue dial much more rare.
it would seem weird to me if it were limited time only; if blue is the official dial color for ref 116719BLRO now, I'd expect rolex would throw one onto any watch that comes in for a service (at the very least I know if I had a black dial that I didn't want to switch I wouldn't give my watch to RSC).

fair point on people not switching; I guess the black dial just "smells" rarer to me if you can switch one way and not the other.
Old 8 November 2018, 01:55 PM   #128
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Going to brag a little bit in this thread and show off the addition I picked up at the event tonight!

uggghh that's gorgeous. temptation is everywhere!!
Old 8 November 2018, 11:35 PM   #129
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Whether the black dial or blue dial are rare, is only speculation. For me, I stick to black dial because I don’t like the blue dial color not matching the bezel color. If the color is matching like smurf (WG submariner), I will definitely change it.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 11:45 PM   #130
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Go blue, there are so many black dials everywhere. I really like this non-sunburst blue dial.

One condition: you get to keep your black dial as a spare part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116719BLRO.jpg (117.6 KB, 175 views)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 11:50 PM   #131
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Go blue, there are so many black dials everywhere. I really like this non-sunburst blue dial.

One condition: you get to keep your black dial as a spare part.

There have been mixed messages regarding RSC allowing owners to retain the black dial.

The RSC in Canada has communicated the Black dial will not be returned and there is no going back once changed to blue.

Old 9 November 2018, 12:05 AM   #132
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
There have been mixed messages regarding RSC allowing owners to retain the black dial.

The RSC in Canada has communicated the Black dial will not be returned and there is no going back once changed to blue.

I would insist on keeping the black dial "as a souvenir" or whatever excuse you can come up with (you're a collector etc.). You can always have it switched back by a competent watchmaker. If you were to sell your BLRO one day, it's better to provide the original dial on top of the new one. Your BLRO might be perceived as a special watch in the future.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 01:13 AM   #133
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
You're 100% correct. The black dial will soon be a ghost and probably one of the rarest PM's out there with owners switching to the blue dial ...

Because if you have a Black dial, that's 4 years old, you can make it a blue dial and get a new card too that says "Blue Dial" - So basically the blue dial is now 4 years old per Rolex ....
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 01:55 AM   #134
Clasper
"TRF" Member

Change to Blue and buy the SS so you have the Black too
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 02:02 AM   #135
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
You're 100% correct. The black dial will soon be a ghost and probably one of the rarest PM's out there with owners switching to the blue dial ...

Because if you have a Black dial, that's 4 years old, you can make it a blue dial and get a new card too that says "Blue Dial" - So basically the blue dial is now 4 years old per Rolex ....
Not true at all. As has been said before, probably 99% of Rolex wg BLRO(or any other Rolex owners for that matter) are not on this website and because of that probably have no idea that a switch is possible. So you have a 4 year run of black dial vs 4 month run of blue dial. Letters are not being sent out nor are calls are being made to owners of the wg black dial. The demand for the blue dial was non existent once the SS was released. I do not know one US AD that got a blue dial to sell and I've asked at least 15 while traveling this year including NYC.

Believe me, the blue dial will be 100 times rarer than the black dial. So far on this site we have what? 2 or 3 people who have done the switch ? Out of how many owners?

My AD is one of the largest in the US with multiple stores in large markets. Another AD, A local one to meI(but not the one I bought the wg from) I have known for years and owns the store had no idea you could do the switch when I told him. When I called in Oct to ask about the switch, they had no idea it was possible and had never heard of it. In addition, it took 3 calls to different people at Rolex to get the answer that they could do the switch.

FYI- I did the update and love it. Got it back yesterday. Took 3 weeks, was free, and I did not get a new card. Mine still says black. What I do have is a work order/paperwork from RUSA with the serial number saying they performed the switch to blue dial.

And just on the off chance, which I put at 1%, that the black dial is more rare down the road, I can easily source a black dial(think hundreds of thousands of BLNR's and other black dial GMTIIs out there) and have it switched out. Try sourcing a blue dial down the road. I still have a card that says black dial and I have paperwork that says blue. Best of both worlds
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 02:26 AM   #136
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
Since Rolex won’t change the card, I wouldn’t.
A US member who posted in this thread had their card changed to blue. Mine did not but provided paperwork saying dial was changed to blue.

And honestly it doesn't matter because 25 years down the road when value matters to vintage collectors, paperwork will suffice and not affect the price one cent. If you have the card that says black and paperwork with the serial # that says blue it will be easy enough to jump online and find out that switching to blue was an option. You could also drop by a Rolex service center(or send the watch in) for verification.
Old 9 November 2018, 03:33 AM   #137
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

It’s interesting to learn about the different experiences folks are reporting regarding receiving an updated card when doing the switch.

I also asked the RSC in Canada this question and they said a new card would not be issued. Of course I would receive paperwork.

Old 9 November 2018, 03:51 AM   #138
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s interesting to learn about the different experiences folks are reporting regarding receiving an updated card when doing the switch.

I also asked the RSC in Canada this question and they said a new card would not be issued. Of course I would receive paperwork.

Agreed. Seems to be no consistency but I’m not worried as I have proof from RUSA that it was done and it’s tied to the serial number!
Old 9 November 2018, 10:40 AM   #139
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:

I am a month into trying to get the switch done.

Was told definitely not on me buying the blue dial and keeping the black. Also a no go on my AD handing the switch in house, it must go to Rolex to be done.

I had bought it second hand, and Rolex didn't like that. Had to send in pictures of the watch and warranty card (originated at at US AD)..

So now I've been waiting for a decision of some sort from RUSA on whether they will do it.

Almost feel bad as my AD is doing a bunch of work for a watch I didn't buy from them... But also aggravated.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 11:11 AM   #140
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
I am a month into trying to get the switch done.

Was told definitely not on me buying the blue dial and keeping the black. Also a no go on my AD handing the switch in house, it must go to Rolex to be done.

I had bought it second hand, and Rolex didn't like that. Had to send in pictures of the watch and warranty card (originated at at US AD)..

So now I've been waiting for a decision of some sort from RUSA on whether they will do it.

Almost feel bad as my AD is doing a bunch of work for a watch I didn't buy from them... But also aggravated.

I had my AD send my BLRO off to RSC and Dallas said no. They would not replace the black dial with Blue. It was only for new stock that had not been sold as Black. So, I see some members have been successful swapping dials on pre-owned BLROs in the US. I may try again but it looks like it will be harder than I thought. And the reality is that after I sent it off to RSC to be swapped last month, I kind of had some regret. So I’m not sure how badly I want the blue dial. I’ve said previously that I would not swap the black for blue. But I did attempt the swap. For now, I am sticking with black and we will see how I feel about it over the coming days weeks. BLRO is my favorite PM.

Old 9 November 2018, 11:32 AM   #141
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
I say swap it to blue. It will look fantastic.
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 12:06 PM   #142
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
It was only for new stock that had not been sold as Black.
Can you clarify what this means? I don't understand how a black-dial watch would not be sold "as black."
Old 9 November 2018, 12:13 PM   #143
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Can you clarify what this means? I don't understand how a black-dial watch would not be sold "as black."

Sorry it was not clear. RSC Dallas told my AD that “swapping to a blue dial was only permitted for new, unsold black dial WG BLROs.” If the watch was new (had not yet been sold) then RSC would change the black dial to blue, for the AD. My AD told me that RSC Dallas would not change my black dial BLRO to a blue dial because it had been sold, and was no longer new.

Old 9 November 2018, 12:21 PM   #144
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Sorry it was not clear. RSC Dallas told my AD that “swapping to a blue dial was only permitted for new, unsold black dial WG BLROs.” If the watch was new (had not yet been sold) then RSC would change the black dial to blue, for the AD. My AD told me that RSC Dallas would not change my black dial BLRO to a blue dial because it had been sold, and was no longer new.
Now I understand. That's interesting. I'm curious if those who have successfully changed their dials could comment on how old their watches were. If they managed to get the switch with older watches, I'm curious what accounts for RSC Dallas's response.
Old 9 November 2018, 12:48 PM   #145
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Now I understand. That's interesting. I'm curious if those who have successfully changed their dials could comment on how old their watches were. If they managed to get the switch with older watches, I'm curious what accounts for RSC Dallas's response.
If I recall correctly, Dr Tom had one of the first WG BLRO, so figure his was 4 years old... And he ended up with a new card to boot
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 06:07 AM   #146
jenson
Banned

I love the look of the blue.
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 07:04 PM   #147
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I would keep the black.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 07:13 PM   #148
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I would keep the black.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 07:17 PM   #149
JacksonStone
Banned

Old 13 November 2018, 09:48 AM   #150
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Yes - stainless won’t get it and they are discontinuing the blue.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote