The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2019, 07:21 AM   #1
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
116610lv appearances question

Hi friends,

I know the Submariner Date LN vs LV debate has been beaten to death, so this won't be a "this or that" thread. However, I would like to get the opinion of those who were originally skeptics of the LV.

Having seen the LV 2 or 3 times at an AD (in the past, of course), I'm never sure how I feel about it; those harsh, showroom lights never help me out. From what I've seen on here, the bezel and dial color vary wildly based on different lighting situations, and most of the time I really love the way the watch looks.

So...are there any owners who felt similarly prior to purchasing? Did you buy with some reservations and fall for the piece once natural light hit the dial? I know I've heard stories of the contrary, but I'm trying to get input from all avenues before my search reaches its thrilling conclusion.

Thanks to all!
Old 18 January 2019, 07:27 AM   #2
peterpl
Banned

Had one, sold it after honeymoon period.

If you get one make sure you really like the color green especially in direct light it can get quite unflattering the bright color. Plus the green on the bezel doesn't look nice in some lighting like its pastel color.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I had no interest in it until I saw it in a (grey dealer’s) case and instantly fell in love. The dial is particularly stunning reflecting sunlight and it does vary from appearing a brilliant bottle green to almost black depending on the light. However, if you’re not fully feeling it after seeing it a few times indoors, I’m not sure taking it outdoors will sway it for you.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #4
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I had one for a few months and sold it, too green for me...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Ignore the showroom and instead check out the owner’s thread on TRF.

It’s a beautiful chameleon of a watch with all the inherent goodness of a Sub. I’ve loved mine for over 6 years now.

That being said, I knew I wanted one shortly after its Basel release, so if you don’t know, it’s probably not for you.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:34 AM   #6
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

I know what you mean about the lighting in ADs... it’s usually terrible. When I first saw it at an AD I was unimpressed and the salesman took me to a different part of the store near a window to see it in natural light and I was hooked. It really is a very special watch, but you have to be ok with all of its “looks” to be comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:36 AM   #7
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Ignore the showroom and instead check out the owner’s thread on TRF.

It’s a beautiful chameleon of a watch with all the inherent goodness of a Sub. I’ve loved mine for over 6 years now.

That being said, I knew I wanted one shortly after its Basel release, so if you don’t know, it’s probably not for you.
See that's the thing...I trawl the owner's thread quite frequently, gazing upon the splendor. Maybe seeing it in person my mind just goes numb. Both pieces are definitely stunning, the decision is the hard part.
Old 18 January 2019, 07:40 AM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwenger View Post
See that's the thing...I trawl the owner's thread quite frequently, gazing upon the splendor. Maybe seeing it in person my mind just goes numb. Both pieces are definitely stunning, the decision is the hard part.

Well, looking at your signature, you have a BB and a Speedy.... maybe it’s time for a non-black dial? ;-)

Anyway, with today’s SS mania, you don’t risk much buying (at MSRP or better) and flipping.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:43 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The AD does have awfully harsh, bright lighting. I think the LV-C looks very green in that setting. Most of the time, though, lighting conditions are not nearly that bright (at least in my experience), and the watch looks a lot better. YMMV.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 07:44 AM   #10
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
maybe it’s time for a non-black dial? ;-)

I like the way you think! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. In the mean time, do feel free to keep sharing!
Old 18 January 2019, 07:52 AM   #11
peterpl
Banned

If this is your first Rolex sub I probably would advise against it. It is more of a second/third Rolex than a first.
Old 18 January 2019, 07:58 AM   #12
mray6375
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116610LV
I love mine. The dial changes colors depending on the light. Great watch
mray6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

It’s horrible. Don’t even think about it

Old 18 January 2019, 08:16 AM   #14
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

The best sub
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:46 AM   #15
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'd quite like one and would buy one.. but as a 2nd or 3rd piece. I think it's watch that should be enjoyed as part of a collection rather than a daily. The LN is ideal for daily use. It would make up the perfect Sub trio.. LN, LV and LB.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Horatio
Banned

It’s stunning. Nothing more to say. You won’t regret buying it
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:51 AM   #17
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
I would totally love to own the 116610LV at MSRP but I would be pretty self-conscious wearing that in public at first.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:08 AM   #18
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
In a collection....it’s a fantastic watch to rotate. It’s a fantastic watch no matter what, but wouldn’t be a one and only for me :)
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:17 AM   #19
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Yowza, that is a looker!

I'm fortunate to have a few other pieces in my collection, so I don't have worries about it being able to stand up as a one and only piece. I think the real worry is whether the others would get jealous
Old 18 January 2019, 09:29 AM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like it better than smurf, easily actually. The dial is unbeatable. I agree there is 10% of the time I dont like the bezel. I’m on my 2nd. Only other sub I’d want over it is a wg smurf
With blue sunburst dial. Basel 2019? Please
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:31 AM   #21
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Hated it in pictures, didn't understand the hype...until I saw one at the AD. Knew I had to have it, bought in the winter of '16 and the Honeymoon has yet to end.
Old 18 January 2019, 09:36 AM   #22
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I really never liked the watch when I saw in the store but once I saw in the wild on someone's wrist and that green flashed, fell in love. Picked it up a few days after and still love it.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The dial and bezel of the Hulk are like the weather in England. If you don't like it, wait a minute. There's nothing else quite like it. It never looks the same for long. But you've got to like it. My Blusey looks just as stunning but differently. Ditto my Z-Blue. There are lots of beautiful dials, bezels and combinations to chose from. If the LV-C doesn't move you, move on. You'll get what you want in the end.

I liked the Kermit until I tried one on. With the Hulk it was the other way around. Although, to be fair, and coming back to your point OP, it can photograph rather variably. There are some beautiful photos of it in this forum. And if you see some photos where it looks particularly stunning, that's because it really can do.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:50 AM   #24
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwenger View Post
Hi friends,
Having seen the LV 2 or 3 times at an AD (in the past, of course), I'm never sure how I feel about it; those harsh, showroom lights never help me out. From what I've seen on here, the bezel and dial color vary wildly based on different lighting situations, and most of the time I really love the way the watch looks.
You've already kind of answered your own question with this statement. You've seen it 2-3 times already in person. Your still questioning it and debating if you like it or not.

The truth is you dont. If your feeling like this now after the Honeymoon period it will play on your mind, then you will TRY to convince yourself you like it and then it will play on your mind again and it will repeat until you flip it.

Believe me I've done this a tonne of times. Trying to convince the heart that you like something never works.
Old 18 January 2019, 09:51 AM   #25
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Had one, sold it after honeymoon period.

If you get one make sure you really like the color green especially in direct light it can get quite unflattering the bright color. Plus the green on the bezel doesn't look nice in some lighting like its pastel color.
the pastel color you mentioned is what kills it for me unfortunately.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:00 PM   #26
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I was anti-LVc guy. Way too much green and couldn't believe anyone would ever wear it......and then I actually tried one on. Had one two months later and I still love it. I catch myself looking at it way more than I should because it's just that beautiful. I can't recommend it enough.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:42 PM   #27
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I thought LVc had the ugliest bezel in the world when I saw it in the photos. Then I bought one never seeing one in person and it’s my fav watch now. Beats my BLNR.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:40 AM   #28
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Here's a little update to anyone who might be interested. I enquired with my AD about the LVc in September I believe, assuming it would be a long wait; they confirmed this, saying it would probably take 2-3 years. Fine with me...that's actually when I was hoping to acquire it.

Then came last Friday; I got "the Call." I never really understood just how exciting "the Call" would be, but the answer is very. Super not expected. My sales person seemed pretty surprised, too. I unfortunately had to tell them now wasn't the right time, which they fortunately were very understanding about, but I did get to take my time checking out the LVc at the AD, under the harsh lighting, near the window in natural light, yada yada yada. I have to tell you guys, I don't know if the watch I saw before was an "imposter," as it was at a second-hand dealer, but wowzers what a gorgeous piece.

Very tough to watch it go back in its box, but VERY ready to pick one up at the end of the year. Thanks to all who gave input!
Old 23 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #29
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I think it is a nice like watch, personally I would now own it any time soon as it seems a bit of a fad now
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:49 PM   #30
christian1221
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Wanted the green based on pictures only, never having seen one in person. Ended up buying a black one on the forum here while waiting for the call. Just got the call last month and haven’t taken it off yet. Will probably sell the black to fund a GMT in the future. The black just looks too plain after wearing the green, and I don’t particularly like the color green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
christian1221 is offline   Reply With Quote