The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 June 2015, 12:01 PM   #1
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
Going through airport customs - Germany

Hey all,

I feel like it has been forever since I posted. I have a quick question about traveling internationally with my Omega Seamaster. In a month, I will be leaving for Europe and will be traveling through different countries. Did any of you have any trouble with airport customs when it came to going through the customs at the airport with your watch on. I've heard that 1. if they find a high end watch such as Omega, that they will check the watch for authenticity and either assess a custom duty fee or confiscate it if they believe it is counterfeit. Now, I'm not worried about the counterfeit piece, as I can back up the fact that it is authentic, but I am a bit concerned about customs duty fees. When I go through customs I will be wearing the watch. What are your guys' experiences with customs. The first part of my journey will be in Munich, Germany. Thanks!

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2015, 12:35 PM   #2
the_Hunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
It has been several years since I have been to Germany but I did not have any issues. I do tend to take my watch off and put it in my bag so I don't have to worry about it going missing out of a check point tub.
the_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

You will be fine, especially if it is your only watch and you don't have another bag full of them on you. I travel a lot and always take my watch off when going through security and put it in my bag. It just takes any risk out of the equation. If you are passing through customs you are usually already through security so if it was me I would have mine back on my wrist by then anyway. My watches are always on my wrist except for the actual few minutes I am going through security. I take it off before and put it on right after. They are not going to question the one watch you have on your wrist. They probably won't notice it anyway. Also, you shouldn't have your box and papers for the watch with you. This is the only thing that might ring alarm bells if they did check you and it looked like maybe you were bringing it in to see it. If it's your personal watch that you are wearing they shouldn't care.
Old 29 June 2015, 01:20 PM   #4
crfsocal
"TRF" Member

I am not an expert, but I believe you will be fine if its your personal watch on your wrist...

I am sure once in a while you will hear a bad story... I can go on and tell you about the time a customs officer at Miami international was getting on my case because of my watch...more specifically the $90 g-shock I was wearing
crfsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2015, 11:41 PM   #5
panerainut
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM188, Rolex YM
I travel through the German airports (Frankfurt and Dusseldorf) about 4 times a year wearing my PO, Rolex, or Panerai. Never had any issues. I even usually have a second watch in my carry on back pack and never had any issues. You should have no problems... but if you are sweating and acting nervous... well now a days anything can happen. :-)
panerainut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2015, 12:59 AM   #6
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
Thanks All!!!

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2015, 02:26 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president1 View Post
Thanks All!!!
There is no "customs duty" just by passing through a country; it is when you are entering your home country that duty would be assessed.

However, like most have said, you are overthinking this. Many, many folks pass through airports with more expensive watches than your Omega on.
Old 1 July 2015, 03:04 AM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

They could careless.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2015, 04:09 AM   #9
tedscott3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I was in Germany a few months ago and had no issues at the airports with my Sub on.
tedscott3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2015, 07:24 AM   #10
Slipstreamer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/16233
Never had a problem with Germany or any other European countries my wife & I visit at least once each year wearing my Sub and my wife with her Cartier.
Slipstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2015, 08:45 AM   #11
psholtz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy, Milgauss
It always seems like arriving back in the U.S. is far bigger customs hassle than landing somewhere overseas.

I just flew through Frankfurt (Germany) about two weeks ago, had absolutely no customs hassles at passport control whatsoever. The guard was extremely polite, and basically just waved me on through. I was wearing an Omega Speedmaster, although I don't think it was visible under the jacket I was wearing, and I don't think he would have cared less if it was visible.

On the U.S. side, when arriving back, it was a bigger hassle and kerfuffle (as always), although even in the U.S. they weren't checking for wrist-wear.

I don't know that Omega is on the "watch list" of imported items to look out for.

I do know that importing Rolexes into the U.S. is generally not allowed, and I wouldn't try to cross a U.S. border w/ more than one Rolex on your person, and even then, you might want to carry documentation as to where you purchased that Rolex (even if you purchased it state-side, just to prove that). Same would probably go for Tudor.

The international terminal at Frankfurt, btw, is a great place to kill time if you're into watches! I don't know that the "duty-free" shops they have there are especially cheap (if seems like if anything, they would have been a bit more expensive than purchasing in the U.S.), but they got at least two big watch vendors in the airport there (both carry a wide selection of high-end brands, including Rolexes) that are good for eye-candy if nothing else.

At one of the vendors in particular they had a nice selection of Wempe branded watches, if that's your thing.

Just mentioning that since Wempe is an example of a brand that's extremely difficult to come by the U.S.
psholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2015, 09:33 AM   #12
hbi
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I've visited London, and transited through LHR and BRU with my Speedmaster on. Additionally, I usually carry a Casio or Seiko too in my carry-on. All my watches look well worn. Never had issues at customs or at security.
Old 1 July 2015, 02:34 PM   #13
tcpx
"TRF" Member

As many have mentioned already, it should t be an issue at all if you're just wearing the watch as its a personal accessory
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2015, 10:33 AM   #14
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I went LAX -> CDG -> Frankfurt -> CDG -> LAX a few years ago with my 2-year old Sub-C on, and was not questioned anywhere.

Air France Terminal in CDG is an incredible watch place as well. Didn't see any in Frankfurt, of course, I spent my time at the airport having a Bavarian pretzel instead.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2015, 03:11 AM   #15
NigeG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I purchased my PO at Gatwick three years ago en route to Milan. Travelled wearing the Omega and my Breitling Colt in my hand luggage. No problems in either direction.

The box and papers for the PO were left at Gatwick for me to collect on the homeward leg in case you were wondering :)
NigeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 03:35 AM   #16
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

In my years of traveling, I was asked to remove my 16610 when going through the metal detectors at Frankfurt Airport. First and only time I have had to remove a Rolex. No issues with customs, though.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 10:43 PM   #17
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
I live in Germany - nope, you'll be fine. And they never ask me to remove my watch once they figure out what I'm wearing.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2015, 09:25 AM   #18
towernick
Banned

You won't have any issues. In February of this year I flew through Frankfurt with my fiancée who was six months pregnant at the time. She had a yogurt in her purse which the German security officials freaked out about when her bag passed through the x-ray machine, however, once they saw the baby bump they were so nice, even let her keep the yogurt. I was wearing my Sea-Dweller, no issues.
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2015, 04:08 PM   #19
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
They have much higher priorities these days and travelling every week, I never had any issues with my watches at any time.
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2015, 04:28 PM   #20
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
They could careless.
And that is exactly the OP's issue.

Oh, you mean "couldn't care less'?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2015, 12:35 AM   #21
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
And that is exactly the OP's issue.

Oh, you mean "couldn't care less'?
No in Texas that's how we say it and it means the same thing
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2015, 09:46 AM   #22
trackntrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
No in Texas that's how we say it and it means the same thing
I've lived in Dallas before and no thats still wrong
trackntrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2015, 01:50 PM   #23
PADI_Diver
"TRF" Member

I recently bought a 8500 planet ocean 42mm in germany and wore it in the airport and flew home with it on my wrist. Not a problem at all. When I got to the us I 100% paid the duty taxes ; )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
PADI_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2015, 02:09 PM   #24
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADI_Diver View Post
I recently bought a 8500 planet ocean 42mm in germany and wore it in the airport and flew home with it on my wrist. Not a problem at all. When I got to the us I 100% paid the duty taxes ; )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Whats the duty?
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote