The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 January 2019, 05:45 AM   #91
zahain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
I’ll be the odd one here. But upon calling boutique, I’m told by boutique manager that 15400 is no more in production, and there’s a whole new lineup that’s coming up which isn’t even going to be called RO or ROO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's no way they're getting rid of the royal oak or rebranding it to a different name. It's a model name bound to the brand just like the nautilus to Patek. If there is any update it will be new dials and maybe different finishes such as like done before, polished centre links, bezel, ect. AP has heavily invested in 2018 cutting its AD sources and going boutique only so i would expect the 15400 or at 41mm continuing at the very least until 2020 until they're stable. It has had improvements and is quite modern/roberst compared to the very minor updates the nautilus received.
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 07:09 AM   #92
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll be the odd one here. But upon calling boutique, I’m told by boutique manager that 15400 is no more in production, and there’s a whole new lineup that’s coming up which isn’t even going to be called RO or ROO.

Did you dial the wrong number?

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 09:01 AM   #93
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 09:35 AM   #94
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
yes i do not understand these AP's (non-owner but massive fan of 15202 and 15300). but why does AP go so big and plasticky? it looks very "toy" to my eye.

re: the Hublot comparison i think AP is crossing the line now (rather than Hublot). i remember seeing a hodinkee interview with the head of Hublot (Jean i think his name is). he said "look, AP started doing watches on rubber bands after us". i guess AP is trying to mark out a larger aesthetic turf than just 15202 and RO generally. i personally think it will end in tears. i have seen AP ROO in the flesh and it lacks elegance for mine. hublot in the flesh looked great. sleeker and more mature with the same sense of "steampunk" about it (a composite of various materials).

of course totally subjective but for me what it is, is the way AP integrates case into bracelet for these large watches (lug integration maybe). it looks massive and makes me feel claustrophobic.

perhaps this is ultra-luxury and so loud whimsy can work (i'm wearing a 40k USD watch that looks like a tasteless G-Shock, whoopee). but beautiful is beautiful and i don't think these things are and i think people do want beautiful for this kind of money, not just novelty.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 10:23 AM   #95
gchee
"TRF" Member

If it looks like Hublot, it means they are doing something right or are more creative than the people at AP
gchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 11:53 AM   #96
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
yes i do not understand these AP's (non-owner but massive fan of 15202 and 15300). but why does AP go so big and plasticky? it looks very "toy" to my eye.

re: the Hublot comparison i think AP is crossing the line now (rather than Hublot). i remember seeing a hodinkee interview with the head of Hublot (Jean i think his name is). he said "look, AP started doing watches on rubber bands after us". i guess AP is trying to mark out a larger aesthetic turf than just 15202 and RO generally. i personally think it will end in tears. i have seen AP ROO in the flesh and it lacks elegance for mine. hublot in the flesh looked great. sleeker and more mature with the same sense of "steampunk" about it (a composite of various materials).

of course totally subjective but for me what it is, is the way AP integrates case into bracelet for these large watches (lug integration maybe). it looks massive and makes me feel claustrophobic.

perhaps this is ultra-luxury and so loud whimsy can work (i'm wearing a 40k USD watch that looks like a tasteless G-Shock, whoopee). but beautiful is beautiful and i don't think these things are and i think people do want beautiful for this kind of money, not just novelty.
Quick question, do you have an AP?
maciej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 12:40 PM   #97
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

not an owner no. but as per first line of post am a big fan of the RO, specifically as 15202 and 15300.

also i have since gone back and looked at what Hublot offers. i like the classic fusion but really probably not the big bang at all. so clearly i just don't dig these type of watches (bristling, large).
Old 5 January 2019, 12:43 PM   #98
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

also i watched the first half of this and was interested to hear JCB talking about the importance of the RO (in context of his mentors over the years). He calls it the biggest disruption to the luxury watch market ever.

https://www.thehourglass.com/video/i...SAAEgKKdPD_BwE

Last edited by mr_gray; 5 January 2019 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 6 January 2019, 06:23 AM   #99
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't pay to buy it but that blue one is something special
andrewjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 06:33 AM   #100
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll be the odd one here. But upon calling boutique, I’m told by boutique manager that 15400 is no more in production,

and there’s a whole new lineup that’s coming up which isn’t even going to be called RO or ROO.

thats two separate things

The first bit, i doubt but a revamp isnt out of the question...
the second bit, thats happening, but its not replacing the RO
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 08:37 AM   #101
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If they brought out a movement that fits the 15400 or case that fits the 3120 I’d say homerun. It’s common sense. I doubt they will though. Cheap bastards don’t even have the in house chrono yet.
Old 6 January 2019, 08:41 AM   #102
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats two separate things

The first bit, i doubt but a revamp isnt out of the question...
the second bit, thats happening, but its not replacing the RO

Yes that makes sense but no AD in Singapore are taking any ordered for 15400 and already telling over the phone that it’s discontinued. Whether it’s replaced or stopped is not confirmed.

I think we will get more info next week.

Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 08:42 AM   #103
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post

Ha ha. We will get to know in a few days mate

Old 6 January 2019, 12:53 PM   #104
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
not an owner no. but as per first line of post am a big fan of the RO, specifically as 15202 and 15300.

also i have since gone back and looked at what Hublot offers. i like the classic fusion but really probably not the big bang at all. so clearly i just don't dig these type of watches (bristling, large).
I only ask because you saying plasticky leads me to believe you haven't gotten a chance to really get your hands on an AP, I can tell you that ever since I started wearing APs a few years ago and then got another Rolex, I felt like the Rolex just wasn't anywhere near the same quality of an AP.
maciej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 03:55 PM   #105
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If they brought out a movement that fits the 15400 or case that fits the 3120 I’d say homerun. It’s common sense. I doubt they will though. Cheap bastards don’t even have the in house chrono yet.
This, my thoughts exactly
Feels like a matter of time before they do, until then I’m holding off on another ROO
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 03:58 PM   #106
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
I only ask because you saying plasticky leads me to believe you haven't gotten a chance to really get your hands on an AP, I can tell you that ever since I started wearing APs a few years ago and then got another Rolex, I felt like the Rolex just wasn't anywhere near the same quality of an AP.

What you have said defines exactly how I feel. I had been such a big fan of Rolex and especially Rolex subs, and have had all three entry subs with me at one point, LN, Lv and bluesy. Have had custom straps and whatnot. And then I got into Ap, and after wearing AP for sometime; I went back to my subs, and they looks very inferior. I’m not trying to disregard how versatile they are, but I have to admit that quality is not on par with what you get with AP 100%

Old 6 January 2019, 05:24 PM   #107
duc888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What you have said defines exactly how I feel. I had been such a big fan of Rolex and especially Rolex subs, and have had all three entry subs with me at one point, LN, Lv and bluesy. Have had custom straps and whatnot. And then I got into Ap, and after wearing AP for sometime; I went back to my subs, and they looks very inferior. I’m not trying to disregard how versatile they are, but I have to admit that quality is not on par with what you get with AP 100%
Thanks for your words. Until now I thought that it would only be me who made this experiences. Sold DJ, GMT, EX 1 and even if I get my Daytona from the bank safe it is just a matter of minutes that I bring it back and switch to AP.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 07:59 PM   #108
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc888 View Post
Thanks for your words. Until now I thought that it would only be me who made this experiences. Sold DJ, GMT, EX 1 and even if I get my Daytona from the bank safe it is just a matter of minutes that I bring it back and switch to AP.

Not alone - in a similar boat here. Went from IWC to AP. Stopped wearing my IWC entirely so gave it to my brother to enjoy.

I skipped right over Rolex, the only piece I would really like right now is an exp1, but would never wear it, even if I had it. A PM piece as an occasional wearer would be nice, but can park the dough into much more sensible things.

Even though AP is that bit more costly (like for like) I feel like it’s a better proposition as it’s a totally unique level of aesthetics & quality.

One of the other members here posted something a couple of times which really resonated, preferring a low volume, steel case with haute movement vs. a PM version of a generic case & movement.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 08:07 PM   #109
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
its funny as its only as i get deeper into this hobby that the small movement vs case size started to bug me. My 15400 or 5524 or whatever seemed fine at the time. Now i wish the movement filled up the case
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 7 January 2019, 12:29 AM   #110
benouah
"TRF" Member

Definitely a whole new line for AP + potential new 15400
benouah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 02:05 AM   #111
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

And this is reflected in their retails.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 02:07 AM   #112
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
its funny as its only as i get deeper into this hobby that the small movement vs case size started to bug me. My 15400 or 5524 or whatever seemed fine at the time. Now i wish the movement filled up the case
How often do you remember to turn it over and look at the movement? I thought I'd look more but I can go months without looking at mine so the lure of Lange is also less for me as their best part will not be seen most of the time.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 04:26 AM   #113
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I’m more concerned with how it affects the dial side. So for instance it bothers me on a 15400 but not so much on a 5522 or 5524.

I can’t stand a date window that’s floating out in the abyss when it could be tight against the perimeter lol
Old 7 January 2019, 04:38 AM   #114
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
How often do you remember to turn it over and look at the movement? I thought I'd look more but I can go months without looking at mine so the lure of Lange is also less for me as their best part will not be seen most of the time.
In my case, seemingly more or less each time that I put a watch on or take it off...and if I'm being honest it's not that rare that I might enjoy the view during the course of a day whilst wearing a watch also...!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 04:45 AM   #115
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Harrods has a 1815 chronograph (WG/Black dial), almost walked out with it today. That movement is just right, fills up the case and i would look at it every day.
Old 7 January 2019, 05:06 AM   #116
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
In my case, seemingly more or less each time that I put a watch on or take it off...and if I'm being honest it's not that rare that I might enjoy the view during the course of a day whilst wearing a watch also...!

I tend to be more like this too. Even a quick glimpse is great.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #117
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
The 15300 :-)
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 02:02 PM   #118
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Harrods has a 1815 chronograph (WG/Black dial), almost walked out with it today. That movement is just right, fills up the case and i would look at it every day.
Go back there today and buy it! Just a gorgeous watch; both the front and backside
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 09:04 PM   #119
edo
"TRF" Member

So, the counter goes to 00:00:00:00 and nothing happened...

Not a greatest start for a time keeping device
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 09:15 PM   #120
edo
"TRF" Member

Code 12:15 and waiting
edo is online now   Reply With Quote