The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2019, 09:19 PM   #121
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
So, the counter goes to 00:00:00:00 and nothing happened...

Not a greatest start for a time keeping device
Old 7 January 2019, 09:42 PM   #122
edo
"TRF" Member

So, here we go again...

From what we can see in these ambassadors videos the watch looks like a concept posted... hands and date on 4-5 is deal breaker for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (169.9 KB, 832 views)
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 10:01 PM   #123
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
Some screen shots...
Attached Images
File Type: png 11.59 1y.png (268.7 KB, 820 views)
File Type: png 11.59 3y.png (280.3 KB, 820 views)
File Type: png 11.59 6y.png (290.0 KB, 812 views)
File Type: png 11.59 y.png (288.1 KB, 818 views)
File Type: png 11.59 yy.png (287.0 KB, 821 views)
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 10:09 PM   #124
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
The 15400 discontinued/production cut down rumors make a lot more sense. The new code 11.59 is also going to include a simple time & date model, which will no doubt use the 3120 calibre..
I have a feeling the new line is going to be priced slightly less than the RO, and due to production cuts and lack of 15400 availability, more costumers would be pushed towards the new line. That is until Bennahmias said they would slowly increase production again in 2020.
Til now what we know is that the 11.59 has a time and date only version as well as the perpetual calendar that was leaked on their own site (with pics removed from the trf) not sure if there will be a chrono version with an in-house movement as well.. lets see.
This year we're going to see some big changes in AP come SIHH.
15400 prices are about to rocket IMO.
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 11:24 PM   #125
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I'm sure others will like it but its not for me at all. I just hope AP reveal something interesting in either the 42 or 44 ROO lines. These have been very successful for them and they need to continue to modify and develop them...
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 11:28 PM   #126
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I'm sure others will like it but its not for me at all. I just hope AP reveal something interesting in either the 42 or 44 ROO lines. These have been very successful for them and they need to continue to modify and develop them...
It's actually a very daring move. I guess AP is finally sick of people saying they are a one-product line brand ( ie RO ). LOL I'll reserve judgement until I see the actual watch.
Old 7 January 2019, 11:41 PM   #127
Torsten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar_Mi View Post
The 15400 discontinued/production cut down rumors make a lot more sense. The new code 11.59 is also going to include a simple time & date model, which will no doubt use the 3120 calibre..
I have a feeling the new line is going to be priced slightly less than the RO, and due to production cuts and lack of 15400 availability, more costumers would be pushed towards the new line. That is until Bennahmias said they would slowly increase production again in 2020.
Til now what we know is that the 11.59 has a time and date only version as well as the perpetual calendar that was leaked on their own site (with pics removed from the trf) not sure if there will be a chrono version with an in-house movement as well.. lets see.
This year we're going to see some big changes in AP come SIHH.
15400 prices are about to rocket IMO.
Rumors says a new caliber, 4302, will replace 3120.
Torsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 11:48 PM   #128
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar_Mi View Post
not sure if there will be a chrono version with an in-house movement as well
I think the location of the date aperture at 4:30 indicates that there will be a chronograph variant and the CEO's previous and relatively recent comments have noted that they have been working on an in house chronograph that was near completion and would be launched in a new line.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 11:49 PM   #129
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
It's actually a very daring move
I agree; very much going against the grain.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 01:38 AM   #130
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

I'm on the fence about the look but leaning towards liking it. It's very clean looking but it's also kind of plain.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 02:49 AM   #131
Hermann
"TRF" Member

I like what i see because i like the Royal Oak and the Nautilus but for me its enough from this design.
So i am quite happy that there will come a new attractive as well as simple model.
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 04:28 AM   #132
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
I like some things I see:
1. High quality case construction
2. Straight angle chamfers, which can be only done by hand
3. Clean dial, with interesting glossy pattern
4. Distinctive case design, nobody has a case design like that

What I don't like:
1. Huge AP logo
2. Terrible contrast between AP long word logo and the numbers, the logo is in a serif style which you see in 60s 70s print, the numbers are 80s 90s techno style number.
3. Dial looks plain due to thin hands and large watch, it might be better on the perpetual calendar and chrono but the time only looks plain.

It would have been better if they used the small AP short logo with the sans serif "Audemars Piguet" under which you see on older 5402s A series with the font they chose for the numerals. They could have made them all gold letters too.

Or even a smaller logo, the difference is too glaring and since the case is distinctive enough there isn't a need for such a large audemars piguet word on dial. People will see the watch shape from afar and recognized it as an AP, just like the RO and ROO.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 05:42 AM   #133
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
It's actually a very daring move. I guess AP is finally sick of people saying they are a one-product line brand ( ie RO ). LOL I'll reserve judgement until I see the actual watch.
We shall see how daring it is. Replacing JA with this is not exactly living on the edge (if that is what they do). Now if they replaced the RO with this, yes that would be daring. Not sure it would be smart, but it sure would be daring.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 05:55 AM   #134
T3F
"TRF" Member

Oof, that looks like a mess IMO. Weird case shape that looks dressy, but way too thick to be a dress watch, dial is unbalanced (especially with that huge text), seconds hand is hideous, and the date is at 4:30.

The date being at 4:30 makes me think they're coming out with a new time and date caliber, and that the updated 15400 or 15500 (whatever it ends up being) will also have the new caliber and date at 4:30. I was thinking of selling my 15400, but I think I'll hold onto it now -- I think a lot of people will prefer the older design to the newer one, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 8 January 2019, 08:18 AM   #135
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I might have been a buyer of a no date in steel. But that 430 date. Ugh.

Zero chance they don’t release a new 15x00 model. Zero. (That is assuming the 15400 is done)
Old 8 January 2019, 08:24 AM   #136
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
Oof, that looks like a mess IMO. Weird case shape that looks dressy, but way too thick to be a dress watch, dial is unbalanced (especially with that huge text), seconds hand is hideous, and the date is at 4:30.

The date being at 4:30 makes me think they're coming out with a new time and date caliber, and that the updated 15400 or 15500 (whatever it ends up being) will also have the new caliber and date at 4:30. I was thinking of selling my 15400, but I think I'll hold onto it now -- I think a lot of people will prefer the older design to the newer one, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I've had some discussions with some folks offline about this but unless this watch comes in steel at a cheaper price point than a 15400, I see this watch as a bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I might have been a buyer of a no date in steel. But that 430 date. Ugh.

Zero chance they don’t release a new 15x00 model. Zero. (That is assuming the 15400 is done)
I'm on the fence but I am inclined to lean on this opinion as well. A new ROC is inevitable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
We shall see how daring it is. Replacing JA with this is not exactly living on the edge (if that is what they do). Now if they replaced the RO with this, yes that would be daring. Not sure it would be smart, but it sure would be daring.
I'm mixed. It's highly unlikely but from a marketing point of view, it's a risk but it's going to create a buzz and demand for a watch that is already in demand. Humans love things they can't have, and it's going to draw more people into AP that weren't customers before.

If I was a 15202 or 15400 owner, I would feel like I am holding a lotto ticket that is guaranteed to win. If the watch gets discontinued, the value will increase. If they bring out a new RO with a 4 o clock date wheel, the older units will still increase.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 08:36 AM   #137
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I'm sure it replaces the JA not the RO, old Benihana ain't no suicide chef.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 08:44 AM   #138
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one to think that there seems to be some inspiration from Rolex explorer? Even the font looks the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 10:30 AM   #139
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I see a little JLC Polaris myself. But it's hard to tell until we get some good pictures.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 10:55 AM   #140
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
So many haters and it's not even out yet. Whatever it is, it will be better than the JA line it will probably replace. Some of the case shape angle pictures look cool, especially the lugs, like Patek 5205 but better execution and details. I don't get the date issue, why is it such a big deal to some? "Deal breaker"? Really? What is one valid reason why date is wrong at 4:30? Also did you know it's like that on ROCs? Nothing new here with AP and date placement. Excited for this new release, just like most things AP does (besides weird ROO 44s and funky divers).
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 11:51 AM   #141
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
So many haters and it's not even out yet. Whatever it is, it will be better than the JA line it will probably replace. Some of the case shape angle pictures look cool, especially the lugs, like Patek 5205 but better execution and details. I don't get the date issue, why is it such a big deal to some? "Deal breaker"? Really? What is one valid reason why date is wrong at 4:30? Also did you know it's like that on ROCs? Nothing new here with AP and date placement. Excited for this new release, just like most things AP does (besides weird ROO 44s and funky divers).
I think you are missing the points being made. If this watch replaces the JA line, that is going to be a welcomed change and I doubt anyone here will refute that. Around the date, it’s a strange look if it’s a 3 hand only with a date. No one puts a date there and will look strange on anything but an ROC.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 11:59 AM   #142
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Old 8 January 2019, 12:00 PM   #143
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
I think you are missing the points being made. If this watch replaces the JA line, that is going to be a welcomed change and I doubt anyone here will refute that. Around the date, it’s a strange look if it’s a 3 hand only with a date. No one puts a date there and will look strange on anything but an ROC.
I think your the one missing the point - You think the watch is a bust and it's not even out yet because of the date placement, pretty funny. At least reserve some judgement until you actually see it.
Old 8 January 2019, 01:02 PM   #144
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Who knew the CEO of AP had a burner account?
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 01:18 PM   #145
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'm sure it replaces the JA not the RO, old Benihana ain't no suicide chef.
Agree. It's to replace the JA. Nothing can touch the Royal Oak line. It's already part of AP DNA.
Old 8 January 2019, 01:59 PM   #146
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Aesthetics.

If you’re going to cut a hole in the dial for a date you better damn well make it pleasing to the eye. Well aware it’s already done on the ROC and I think it looks horrible.
Old 11 January 2019, 10:39 AM   #147
SigloII
"TRF" Member

No rotating bezel - it's not a diver.
No integrated bracelet - it's not a pure sports watch.
No GMT, only complication is the date - at 4:30 (yikes). Few people like it there, reminds me of a modular movement.
Big numerals make it look like an explorer/pilot's watch. Dial looks remarkably plain.

Only interesting thing about it is the skeletonized lugs.

Not excited about this one at all...
SigloII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 02:26 PM   #148
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

25,000 CHF for a simple 3 hand model while the chrono is 39,500 CHF
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 02:54 PM   #149
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
25,000 CHF for a simple 3 hand model while the chrono is 39,500 CHF
Its PM probably otherwise it would be quite high. I like the case design, it looks cool and better than most dress watches.

Wonder how much the steel versions will be.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 03:05 PM   #150
Hermann
"TRF" Member

Steel versions will come maybe in a few years.
I like the new case very much, I only don’t what diameter the watch will have and how the dial looks in live!
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote