The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 December 2018, 06:37 AM   #1
Jwtownse
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234 Datejust
Pressure Test Results

I recently took my 1989 16234 Datejust to be pressure tested. After a few failed tests and replacement of gaskets, it passed the pressure test. However, I’m a little concerned about the low pressure used to test the water/air tightness. I’m not a diver but I’d like to be able to wear my watch comfortably in the pool from time-to-time. Should this pressure test put me at ease to do that? Or should I not be swimming with a 30 year old watch in the first place? Along with the readout from the pressure test I’ve included a picture of the watch in question!

Thanks for your help and input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jwtownse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 09:53 AM   #2
rq3
"TRF" Member

3 bar is about 100 feet of seawater, and at that pressure your watch became 0.03161 millimeters thinner (0.001244 inches). You're good to go into the pool.
rq3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Jwtownse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rq3 View Post
3 bar is about 100 feet of seawater, and at that pressure your watch became 0.03161 millimeters thinner (0.001244 inches). You're good to go into the pool.

Beautiful, thank you! And if all else fails, insurance will take care of the water damage!

Old 21 December 2018, 10:08 AM   #4
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

3 ATMs is about 30 metres water resistance. So you're good to go.

I ensure my watches are pressure tested and they're over 30 years old too, and love wearing them in the water at the beach or in the pool. It's pretty cool to be able to do that with a vintage piece (especially with a dive watch). Although there are some who are more risk averse and would prefer not to take any chances with their timepiece.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Jwtownse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
3 ATMs is about 30 metres water resistance. So you're good to go.

I ensure my watches are pressure tested and they're over 30 years old too, and love wearing them in the water at the beach or in the pool. It's pretty cool to be able to do that with a vintage piece (especially with a dive watch). Although there are some who are more risk averse and would prefer not to take any chances with their timepiece.

Thanks! The more responses I get the more comfortable I’ll be enjoying it in the water. A sub will be my next piece more than likely!

Old 22 December 2018, 06:52 AM   #6
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsubs View Post
3 atms is about 30 metres water resistance. So you're good to go.

ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote