The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 January 2019, 06:47 AM   #1
James Taylor
Banned

Icon5 Vintage and modern watches

Upon joining this form, I noticed that there is quite a difference between collectors...
Some people prefer the newer Rolex models and others prefer the vintage or collectible watches, like myself. although i do have a few newer ones.

I would like to discuss the reasons for peoples passion about old and new and discover what reasons most have for choosing to buy old or new watches, perhaps also give collectors reasons to collect an older or newer series or brand of watch which they would not have previously considered.
James Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Upon joining this form, I noticed that there is quite a difference between collectors...
Some people prefer the newer Rolex models and others prefer the vintage or collectible watches, like myself. although i do have a few newer ones.

I would like to discuss the reasons for peoples passion about old and new and discover what reasons most have for choosing to buy old or new watches, perhaps also give collectors reasons to collect an older or newer series or brand of watch which they would not have previously considered.
Welcome! I can only speak for myself, but I love the look of vintage but actually use my watches as tools and need them to be robust and not delicate. Vintage watches can be challenging to source parts for as well. The beauty is that if you collect long enough your new watches become vintage as is starting to happen for my 20 year old 16610.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #3
R!$
Banned

if you just joined the hobby and wear the new style watches then you will prefer the bulky feel

if you have been a fan for at least 10 years then you will appreciate the classic details
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #4
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Certain vintage models have better fit on smaller wrists. The modern super cases may be too big for some people, myself included.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:16 AM   #5
James Taylor
Banned

The main reason im such a fan of older watches, 5513s, 5508s ... etc. is because they are so hard to find and have such a great history behind them.
I love the age and character of the worn watches as well, and they are much harder to find than a new rolex which you can order and just have to wait for.
Old 16 January 2019, 07:48 AM   #6
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Why I Went Vintage

I think a lot of it has to do with personal taste or what we lusted after as kids. My first “nice” watch was an Omega Speedmaster, mainly because of the ads I saw as a youngster. It was a tritium model from the early 90’s so the dial faded and the hands turned a bit yellow. While owning this I ended up buying a few Rolex(s), mainly 5 digit models with the gloss dials and WG surrounds. After a while of owning both the light bulb went off-wouldn’t it be awesome to have a Rolex with a matte dial and yellowish markers? It has been all down hill from there. I ended up replacing all of my 5 digit Rolex(s) with 4 digit Rolex(s). It took a while but many thanks to the vintage experts on this site, I think I did OK.

David
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:50 AM   #7
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I settled on 5-digits because those are the ones I liked the most that I could afford at the beginning of my collecting. They also fit me the best and have the nice blend of modern and vintage features that I love. Tritium lume, lug holes, folded end links, aluminum bezel inserts, and chamfers with quickset dates and sapphire crystals. They also have plenty of variations throughout their history which keeps collecting interesting.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:09 AM   #8
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
I settled on 5-digits because those are the ones I liked the most that I could afford at the beginning of my collecting. They also fit me the best and have the nice blend of modern and vintage features that I love. Tritium lume, lug holes, folded end links, aluminum bezel inserts, and chamfers with quickset dates and sapphire crystals. They also have plenty of variations throughout their history which keeps collecting interesting.
Could not agree more about the older 5 digit models. The Pepsi 16710 with tritium and lug holes is iconic. Unfortunately, I had to trade mine to get my 1016☹️
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:12 AM   #9
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
If I like a watch, trust the seller, and can afford it, I buy it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
For me, it's the watches with dial designs that were created by, drafted by, and even painted by hand. It's a design art that, sadly, has gone the way of computer software, where every watch that comes off the production line looks like a watch designed with a computer. To me, modern Rolexes have no soul whatsoever. They inspire nothing, and I can't see how they capture the imagination of anyone. And that same mid-century, classic aesthetic goes for SO many things that appeal to me: Guitars; Automobiles; Aircraft; Furniture....
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:16 AM   #11
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I like both!
Old 16 January 2019, 08:32 AM   #12
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
Unfortunately, I had to trade mine to get my 1016
I actually sold my 1016 and ended up using the funds to buy my 16700.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:18 AM   #13
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Both but for me...the newer watches have more bling. White gold surrounds and PCLs. If you want that look = modern. More simple/tool watch look= vintage. Yes I know the DSSD is the ultimate tool watch- but it’s pretty blingy nonetheless. Love em all though.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:24 AM   #14
Netminder1
"TRF" Member

Watch: everyone
I think variety is the only true aphrodesiac.

Ooops, wrong forum! I thought this was Cheating Spouses Anonymous forum .

Only kidding I love both. to me, variety in vintage and modern, and all sizes from Big Pilots to Rolex 1601s.
Netminder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:44 AM   #15
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I came into Rolex in the 5 digit era so have a soft spot for them, and I guess the early ones could be termed vintage though they are still quite serviceable. I find the 4 digits lovely to look at but not so sure I have the patience to own one, kind of like vintage cars.

The modern ones I wear and enjoy for their robustness and durability.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:47 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I'm not a fan of vintage. They are cool but I prefer modern watches. When I'm old they will be vintage.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:12 AM   #17
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
For me, it's the watches with dial designs that were created by, drafted by, and even painted by hand. It's a design art that, sadly, has gone the way of computer software, where every watch that comes off the production line looks like a watch designed with a computer. To me, modern Rolexes have no soul whatsoever. They inspire nothing, and I can't see how they capture the imagination of anyone. And that same mid-century, classic aesthetic goes for SO many things that appeal to me: Guitars; Automobiles; Aircraft; Furniture....
This pretty much sums up my feelings. I don't own any new watches for this very reason...all vintage. And as Kingfish66 says, this extends to my other passions Cameras, furniture, lighters, cars, etc.

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:59 AM   #18
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It’s great to have all types, nothing beats a near perfect red sub or DRSD, and not much beats a nice patrizzi Daytona. And the new 500 and and a 5513 maxi dial or a nice 1655......must have a little of both or I prefer a lot of both!!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:18 PM   #19
Mansell92
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post
This pretty much sums up my feelings. I don't own any new watches for this very reason...all vintage. And as Kingfish66 says, this extends to my other passions Cameras, furniture, lighters, cars, etc.
Mansell92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:50 PM   #20
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I have both but have refined my collection. At one time I had 50 watches.... then 30 lower to mid Swiss... then 20 Rolex and Tudor.... now I am down to these six and two additional tudors.

Dr.Smellody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:56 PM   #21
michael23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said. Agree 100%
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:14 PM   #22
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
It's important to obtain unpolished pieces in original condition. Watches from the past that have been polished (butchered) have no more "soul" than modern computer-designed pieces.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:30 PM   #23
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
It's important to obtain unpolished pieces in original condition. Watches from the past that have been polished (butchered) have no more "soul" than modern computer-designed pieces.

Damn, I didn’t realize this watch of mine had been butchered. Probably should get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 January 2019, 02:32 PM   #24
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I like both.

It’s also similar to cars. Great to have modern materials, safety features, bluetooth, etc in a new car but nothing like the feel and simplicity of a vintage one.

Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:40 PM   #25
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I actually own both.

I probably prefer the looks of the vintage, because of their uniqueness and character. It's nice to know that a vintage tool watch was more likely used in the manner it was designed for, than a modern tool watch.

That said, I also like modern because it has functioning lume and it's nice to know you have all the latest technology (e.g., ceramic bezel, glidelock, parachrom hairspring, etc.).
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:52 PM   #26
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
I actually own both.

I probably prefer the looks of the vintage, because of their uniqueness and character. It's nice to know that a vintage tool watch was more likely used in the manner it was designed for, than a modern tool watch.

That said, I also like modern because it has functioning lume and it's nice to know you have all the latest technology (e.g., ceramic bezel, glidelock, parachrom hairspring, etc.).
Aesthetics and design always win over engineering.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:26 PM   #27
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the enlightenment. I guess it's time to get rid of all my vintage collection. I'll start with this polished example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0030.sm.jpg (68.4 KB, 416 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:33 PM   #28
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I am kind of caught in no man’s land because I prefer the vintage look but want the conveniences that come with modern. Durability, reliability, superior bracelet, etc.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:57 PM   #29
James Taylor
Banned

Although newer Rolex models seem like they will last longer because of the fact that they can be serviced with new rolex parts, Gulit-free, Rolex models from earlier periods last very long and can run hassle-free throughout your lifetime if taken care of.
Also, a bit of variety doesn't hurt, mix some new in with the old or vice-versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
I am kind of caught in no man’s land because I prefer the vintage look but want the conveniences that come with modern. Durability, reliability, superior bracelet, etc.
Old 16 January 2019, 11:58 PM   #30
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
This is a great answer. I really don't like the design of the newer Rolex watches (Big lugs, PCLs, etc). I was really anticipating the new Daytona and the new Pepsi but I was really disappointed with the result, for a number of reasons. I also enjoy that they also each have their own look due to their aging process. When we post pics here, I enjoy looking at the different look of each watch. On the modern forum, you might as well post a stock pic. They all look the same.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote