The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2019, 04:05 AM   #61
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I got 20% off ad no tax on a YG sold at AD this week. They started at 15% and I asked for 20.
Is that a local AD or an out of state AD? Because if it's no tax, then it would be close to 30% off unless you live in Oregon.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:18 AM   #62
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I purchased two PM Rolex watches in 2018. One (Smurf) was purchased from a TS here on the forum and it was a great experience. I paid 26K which I believe is 10,750 off retail minus tax as well. It was BNIB fully stickered. The other was the 126715 which I purchased in Cabo San Lucas at the AD there in town. They immediately told me that the watch would not be discounted since it was the only one in Mexico. It was May 12th and I’m sure the Basel 2018 releases were just hitting the streets. So I happily paid retail. I may have been the first one here on the forum to get one of these beautiful watches. I paid 39,750 which is 3K more than even here in the states. But with VAT which I received three months later was 3514.00 which brought the watch down below MSRP here in the states just a tad, so I’m extremely happy with that purchase.

Last month, when Fourtane opened in San Diego, I drove down to see their selection and to look at their deep sea exhibition. They had a YG Date Just with the malachite dial my wife really wants. Of course, the sales rep told me it was the rarest watch in the store so she immediately said no discount. I told her I was prepared to purchase and asked for them to just eat the tax. She didn’t even ask the owner who was there. She said no. I thanked her for her time, I set my beer down that they had given me and I drove back to LA. I will not buy a gold watch without a discount. I’ll wait for the correction, or I’ll buy from a TS. The only down side about the TS is that you build no Rapoport with an AD to get the sought after SS pieces. Just my experience Gents.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:36 AM   #63
Lambo Jota
"TRF" Member

was told no discount on anything anymore from rolex at a holiday party. I laughed and said I guess I will not be one of your best clients anymore can you get more champagne
Lambo Jota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:33 AM   #64
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I was able to get 22% off a YG piece from a grey recently on a new piece with partial stickers. Warranty card was dated and named in the same month. Dec 18.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:23 AM   #65
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Thanks to my TS, I have been able to buy PM at a nice discount. I don't think I could ever buy one at retail plus tax.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:33 AM   #66
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
My ad told me 10-15 depending on method of payment on Pm pieces
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:03 AM   #67
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
20% is the number to start and look for 25%. Do not call, go in and tell them you are ready to do the deal. PM is a different animal and the Trusted Sellers do the best in the U.S. as a general rule.
And may I add Platinum is a different animal than a Gold watch. Much harder to move and a much smaller niche market. Ask for a bigger discount!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 09:36 AM   #68
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
My AD had a white gold Daytona on oyster flex.......£22,000 plus a few hundred, was told by the mananger "no discount on this watch" I have a little history with them (Sub Bluesy) and I'm on there list for a SS Daytona, I did ask if it would help me on the list and was told yes but no time guaranteed, I did love the white gold Daytona and had the cash in the bank but it's just so much for a watch for a working guy like me, I'm a self employed Joiner, can't stop thinking about that watch though
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 11:26 AM   #69
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

Wait until the next recession, they will be begging you to buy PM models. You think your AD will snub you or cut you no deal when the general public's disposable income dry up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1985 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been negotiating with a few ADs for a pretty hefty purchase of a PM piece. I have a 2 watch purchase history at one of the ADs and no real relationship with the others, outside of a soft referral from friends.

One AD that I have no purchase history with is willing to play ball on the price, but the others (including the one I have history with) have told me they will not touch the price (they say they will “see” about getting me an in-demand SS piece down the road). Am I just a terrible negotiator or has the market gone so haywire that PM pieces don’t even warrant a discount of any sort?

I am particularly surprised at the AD that I have bought from before. Have bought 2 pieces including a non-sport stainless model at full pop over the past year. I have built a little bit of rapport with the owner. Doesn’t feel like much of a “relationship”.

These ADs have made buying a PM piece a frustrating experience... I wonder if they would change their tune if I walked in cash in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 11:32 AM   #70
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The full price is the fair price
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 11:33 AM   #71
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyx View Post
My AD had a white gold Daytona on oyster flex.......£22,000 plus a few hundred, was told by the mananger "no discount on this watch" I have a little history with them (Sub Bluesy) and I'm on there list for a SS Daytona, I did ask if it would help me on the list and was told yes but no time guaranteed, I did love the white gold Daytona and had the cash in the bank but it's just so much for a watch for a working guy like me, I'm a self employed Joiner, can't stop thinking about that watch though
that sounds about right. pretty much no discounts anywhere on the wg oysterflex daytona right now. they seem to be holding value well too
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 11:43 AM   #72
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Check the aftermarket used retail on Platinum. Crazy low. 75K new Daytonas are selling used below 50K. 950 is cheaper than gold these days on the exchanges. If you cannot get 25 percent off no questions asked, I would buy used all day. Platinum is not what it used to be in watches. Nobody seems to be chasing it. SS is the new PM across all lines.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 12:20 PM   #73
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Check the aftermarket used retail on Platinum. Crazy low. 75K new Daytonas are selling used below 50K. 950 is cheaper than gold these days on the exchanges. If you cannot get 25 percent off no questions asked, I would buy used all day. Platinum is not what it used to be in watches. Nobody seems to be chasing it. SS is the new PM across all lines.

A platinum watch has a lot more material weight in it than it's gold counterpart. It's also more difficult to work with.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:04 PM   #74
KevinP.
"TRF" Member

Great to hear the broad range of discounts but it probably depends on the city.

Not only do I expect 0% in Toronto, I’d shock if they didn’t respond 0% in a condescending tone that had an air of “get out now or I’m calling security”.

A. Lange & Sohne Datograph 403.035
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 14790
Blancpain Aqua Lung No Radiation
KevinP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:16 PM   #75
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
A platinum watch has a lot more material weight in it than it's gold counterpart. It's also more difficult to work with.
Does not matter. It is the least desirable of all popular metals that timepieces are made from. It attracts a very very small minority of watch buyers.
Old 18 January 2019, 01:18 PM   #76
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
possibly right now is a very good time to buy PM watches.

i say this because moving forward the tightening up in discounts will surely combine with a price increase in PM watches at some point in time (SMURF has been around $36k USD since it was released in 2008) such that there may even be a marked increase in used market soon.

will we be looking back in a year wondering why we didn't snap up 6 digit PM subs (mint or even BNIB in some cases) at $26k?

in case anyone is wondering yes i did just buy a smurf and yes their potential imminent increase in value was one of the arguments i used to convince myself :-).
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 01:25 PM   #77
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
possibly right now is a very good time to buy PM watches.

i say this because moving forward the tightening up in discounts will surely combine with a price increase in PM watches at some point in time (SMURF has been around $36k USD since it was released in 2008) such that there may even be a marked increase in used market soon.

will we be looking back in a year wondering why we didn't snap up 6 digit PM subs (mint or even BNIB in some cases) at $26k?

in case anyone is wondering yes i did just buy a smurf and yes their potential imminent increase in value was one of the arguments i used to convince myself :-).
I bought a YG Sub in July 2017 in the 25K range. So happy I did, love the watch more than any other I have ever worn
Old 18 January 2019, 01:44 PM   #78
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Got 27% off plus no tax on my 228235.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 02:10 PM   #79
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
If a price increase was to occur across the world for Rolex all these prices would seem cheap in hindsight. Im only waiting for Rolex to do this.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 11:05 PM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyx View Post
This is selling for a £2K premium with big greys so will be no discount at retail, I'd buy and get higher up the SS lists.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 09:47 AM   #81
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Just a quick update. I popped by the AD today that was offering a good discount. The salesman is a pretty straight shooter and he was explaining to me the demand that they have not just on SS, but also on PM pieces. SS is obviously off the charts, multiple calls per day from new customers asking for the usual pieces, nothing surprising there.

What surprised me more was the PM demand. They have multiple orders and are waiting for DD, Platona, PM Daytona’s, he had a gold sub that had been pre-ordered. It’s one AD (and one that is still giving discounts) so obviously a small sample, but it does seem that these PM pieces are moving. Guess times are so good that people who can’t get their hands on SS are just moving up-market and these pieces have become attainable for more people? ADs know this so are more comfortable giving zero discount on previously hard to move PM pieces. I don’t know, but I am thinking more that the discounts will shrink going forward if demand continues at this pace. Crazy stuff.

k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 06:53 PM   #82
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Just a quick update. I popped by the AD today that was offering a good discount. The salesman is a pretty straight shooter and he was explaining to me the demand that they have not just on SS, but also on PM pieces. SS is obviously off the charts, multiple calls per day from new customers asking for the usual pieces, nothing surprising there.

What surprised me more was the PM demand. They have multiple orders and are waiting for DD, Platona, PM Daytona’s, he had a gold sub that had been pre-ordered. It’s one AD (and one that is still giving discounts) so obviously a small sample, but it does seem that these PM pieces are moving. Guess times are so good that people who can’t get their hands on SS are just moving up-market and these pieces have become attainable for more people? ADs know this so are more comfortable giving zero discount on previously hard to move PM pieces. I don’t know, but I am thinking more that the discounts will shrink going forward if demand continues at this pace. Crazy stuff.

I don't doubt this.....I've been to a few AD's and rarely see PM pieces let alone in the popular models.....GMT, SD, Sub.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 08:29 PM   #83
peterpl
Banned

Quote:

It is true that the demand for PM have also increased but that market is very very small compared to SS.

At the end of the day a $10k watch is a stretch for many. Start talking $30k, $35k, $40k and above - well the number of customers decreases exponentially. Doesn't matter how rich you are its a very substantial amount of money to be spending on a watch.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 08:41 PM   #84
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
No discount on pm or tt I tried didn’t get one but will be getting a ss very soon as I bought at full retail on basis I get a ss. Market has changed.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 08:54 PM   #85
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

Certianly for the UK my impression is that discounts of any kind (excepting the tax at the airport) are being increasingly discouraged by Rolex for ADs. Indeed, I heard that Rolex withdrew from one quite famous UK retailer based on discounting. I think that Rolex is indeed heading for 'the price is the price' with ADs.
On the other hand true capitalism rules supreme in the grey market. Hence why the SS pieces are through the roof at the moment.....

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 08:59 PM   #86
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Although demand is much lower for PM models, supply is probably limited on some of them, and this will dictate AD behaviour.

It doesn’t make a difference if it’s SS or PM, supply vs demand sets the price. I know my AD is getting very limited supply of PM Daytona’s on OF, so unless you have a very solid history with them, there will be no discount to be had. They may sit on the watch for three months because the demand is not high, but they will sell it before they get another one in, so why would they discount it?

I suspect a Platinum Day Date is pretty limited in supply, so the same probably applies. I also know that lots of AD’s like to keep showcase models in stock because they can show them to customers as part of the experience of visiting the store, so sitting on these watches is not always a negative.

I would expect a discount on most TT (probably not the CHNR) or Yellow Gold pieces right now, but very little on Platinum or White/Rose Gold.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:07 PM   #87
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
It is true that the demand for PM have also increased but that market is very very small compared to SS.

At the end of the day a $10k watch is a stretch for many. Start talking $30k, $35k, $40k and above - well the number of customers decreases exponentially. Doesn't matter how rich you are its a very substantial amount of money to be spending on a watch.

I know, this is generally what I thought. But when I’m sitting there trying to negotiate a good deal and see a family come in to pick up a PM Rolex they ordered for their (I’m guessing) late teens daughter - I just think there is too much money out there haha. Anectodal of course, but it explains the current state of the Rolex market somewhat, and that’s just local! When you throw in foreign buyers, it just seems like this could be a prolonged situation.

k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:19 AM   #88
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I know, this is generally what I thought. But when I’m sitting there trying to negotiate a good deal and see a family come in to pick up a PM Rolex they ordered for their (I’m guessing) late teens daughter - I just think there is too much money out there haha. Anectodal of course, but it explains the current state of the Rolex market somewhat, and that’s just local! When you throw in foreign buyers, it just seems like this could be a prolonged situation.

Are you in the USA and is it an affluent area? The average middle class family is not shopping at an AD for 30K USD PM timepieces.
Old 21 January 2019, 02:47 AM   #89
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Rolex has been underselling it's brand for awhile.

The general public buyer with some means stumbles into the AD expecting to pay $XX,XXX for a ROLEX, but when the lazy salesman pointed out the Sub Date for $8,500, it seemed like a screaming bargain, so they would just buy that. The salespeple assumed they would only be interested in the lower priced references and hold the sale presentation closer to the vest with low hanging fruit. "Don't want to scare them away with sticker shock"....well, that really isn't the case it seems.

Now that the Sub Date and the other relatively inexpensive sports references are not in stock, the customer is showing that they will willingly pay more...they seemingly always would have, just needed a little help.

It remains to be seen as to whether this is a marketing / merchandising strategy for Rolex or if it's just the result of this massive SS demand..or both.

I will say that limited distribution / merchandising strategies to move consumers upscale on a manufacturers product line happen all the time, with products you would least expect (like garbage disposers ), so why not Rolex? The market is showing it's true potential and it very well might stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:50 AM   #90
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

A lot of money around for sure, plus I think many who were considering other brand buys for 20-30K are switching to Rolex PM as a safer bet as well.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote