The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2016, 12:42 PM   #1
lamshanks
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Patek 5164R vs Rolex 116655

Need your expert opinions.

Already have PP 5712/1a and Rolex DSSD Blue.

Want to celebrate special occasion (w a PM watch) and deciding between:

Patek 5164R vs Rolex 116655

Ignoring price, what are your thoughts?

I've tried the 116655 and like it lots. Ceramic bezel helps much also re scratches. Like the Oysterflex band. Tho of course, no see thru back. And of course, Rolexes are "all over the place".

5164R looks stunning in some pics I've seen - but in others, looks terrible (tho this is how things go for Aquanauts?). Of course, also more prone to scratches. On the other hand, you can see the movement. It is PP too. More rare. Note - I have seen the 5167R and actually don't like it. But the 5164R has more height, the added complication - and it seems these two additions completely change its wrist presence (and, well, even tho i said to ignore price, there is a significant diff esp since you can get the 116655 at a discount and 5164R is pretty much at retail price).

Need help - much appreciated!
lamshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 01:02 PM   #2
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I have not seen a 5164r yet, but I have owned a 5164. The wrist presence, height, and weight made the watch a no brainer for me over the 5167.

I in fact miss my 5164 and intend to buy the 5164r. I just will wait for the prices to come down. I would sit out the Rolex piece and get the PP when ready.
Old 7 August 2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamshanks View Post

I've tried the 116655 and like it lots. Ceramic bezel helps much also re scratches. Like the Oysterflex band. Tho of course, no see thru back. And of course, Rolexes are "all over the place".

5164R looks stunning in some pics I've seen - but in others, looks terrible (tho this is how things go for Aquanauts?). Of course, also more prone to scratches. On the other hand, you can see the movement. It is PP too. More rare. Note - I have seen the 5167R and actually don't like it. But the 5164R has more height, the added complication - and it seems these two additions completely change its wrist presence (and, well, even tho i said to ignore price, there is a significant diff esp since you can get the 116655 at a discount and 5164R is pretty much at retail price).

5164r for me. I have not been fortunate to try it on but I like the size of the 5164 and the RG of the 5167 so naturally the combo is great...and it's a PP. Rolex's are a dime a dozen and you say this is to commemorate something special. Seems very fitting to me. I've tried the 116655 and it did nothing for me even though it's ceramic and RG and low key by Rolex standards. I'm a huge 5167 steel fan. Love th dial and the way the light reflects off it from diff angles...it would be a no brainier for me.

Best of luck
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 01:12 PM   #4
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Never tried the 5164R but I happily exchanged my 5167 for a 5164. Yachtmaster is a nice watch too. Really down to the style of watch you're interested in. Yachmaster still retains the silhouette of a dive watch (with nice thin lugs) but blinged up a bit with the bold bezel and gold. The 5164 plays in the Genta aesthetic game with an integrated rubber strap. Both are really comfortable which si really comfortable. Try to find a 5164 to try on. It wears very differently than a rolex.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 02:02 PM   #5
KarlS
Banned

I owned the 116655 and I never liked the 5164 in SS and I have the 5167 and not a fan of the 5167R...however, putting on the 5164R it was love!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patek 5164.jpg (105.6 KB, 1012 views)
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 02:31 PM   #6
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
I was in the same boat, only for me it was 5167r vs 116655 which price-wise is more comparable.

Rolex oysterflex is comfortable but the 5167/5164 tropical strap even more so.

Also both are very nice looking but I had a problem with the 116655 matte black bezel.
I much prefer the 5167r more fully gold presence in the case and bezel. Also finishing is nicer on the PP and the PP RG plays with light more wonderfully.
But you are correct in saying Rolex is going to be more scratch proof. PP is a bit of a scratch magnet and requires more wrist awareness. So edge to Rolex here.

5164r is even a step up from what I have and would not hestitate for a second choosing that reference over Rolex. Again if cost is not a factor here.

But the Rolex is nice, its just the Bezel the bugs me a bit.
But you are correct in saying Rolex is going to be more scratch proof.
PP aquanauts are a bit of a scratch magnet and requires more wrist awareness. So edge to Rolex in that department.
Currently I am using my Hulk for more sporty activities, so its not really an issue. And you have a DSSD.

Also I think the 5164r is a better companion to the 5712 and your DSSD you already have. Plus it gives you a GMT/Travel Time!!
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 03:03 PM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Since this is the Patek section, people will naturally steer you towards a Patek if given a choice.

I know this is a hypothetical question, but if you are making a purchase decision at an AD between these 2 watches, I think it is hard to "ignore the price difference" especially when one watch is twice as expensive as the other.

Would I spend $50K USD for the 5164R? I would have to say the answer is a resounding no. If both watches were the same price, would I buy the 5164R over the 116655 - the answer would be yes, but that would mean a 50% discount off retail and I don't think that is a realistic scenario.

Generally I think you should be able to get a discount on a $50K Patek, although it will depend on the watch model and how soon after the Basel announcement you are looking to make the purchase.

Best of luck in your choice and congratulations on your special occasion!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 08:18 PM   #8
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I own a 5164 in steel and have seen the 5164R in person. These watches are in another league than any Rolex: Finishing of case and moment is exquisite, the 3D and colour changing effect on the dial is mesmerising and the Genta-isnpired design of the bezel is quite distinct from ordinary round bezel watches.

That said, the YM II is a nice masculine looking watch with a sturdy time-proven design and movement that comes at half the price of the 5164R (as has been pointed out)...so it really depends on what kind of watch you are after, what "sings" to you...

I would recommend finding of way of seeing the 5164R in person before making a final decision, it looks much better in real life than on the Patek promo pictures.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 10:25 PM   #9
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I owned the 116655 and I never liked the 5164 in SS and I have the 5167 and not a fan of the 5167R...however, putting on the 5164R it was love!!
Just look at that, utterly spectacular! I agree with Jon, the price is hideous and I would search hard and beat up all resellers for a good deal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 10:32 PM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
Never tried the 5164R but I happily exchanged my 5167 for a 5164. Yachtmaster is a nice watch too. Really down to the style of watch you're interested in. Yachmaster still retains the silhouette of a dive watch (with nice thin lugs) but blinged up a bit with the bold bezel and gold. The 5164 plays in the Genta aesthetic game with an integrated rubber strap. Both are really comfortable which si really comfortable. Try to find a 5164 to try on. It wears very differently than a rolex.
Funny to me the 116655 is not blinged up at all and is quite muted with black cerachrome bezel and matte black dial - so exact opposite IMHO.

As for which to get for the OP: Only you can decide and I would recommend trying both on as always. I think for the money the 116655 is a great versatile watch that can be worn in any situation. The 5164R is a nice watch but hefty price tag. So for me I'd go 116655 and it is likely my next watch as well.

PS Whichever you get make sure you buy right.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 11:12 PM   #11
texex91
"TRF" Member

Never been a YM fan and in that particular PP model I prefer SS.

A lot of help I am
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 11:33 PM   #12
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Between your two choices, I would go with the Patek. The YM is a little too muted for me with the matted bezel and dial.

In this price range, I would consider the platona. You get your PM fix but a more wearable and robust piece.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:03 AM   #13
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The Rolex is a beautiful piece.

Personally I prefer black, so if you were dead set on RG I think you'll need to try them side by side if possible or at least within a short time period. I have a 5167/1A and have tried on the 5167R and of the two I'd buy the steel just due to the colors.

I have had the 40mm YM on my wrist in the mirror and it looked good but I thought the price for it at MSRP was a bit high. Same goes for the smaller ladies versions on my wife, they look amazing but to me they seem overpriced.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 01:33 AM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I've seen both 5164 SS and RG, the SS is a little boring, the RG is stunning, quite a premium to pay for gold but it is a stunning piece, if you think it'll be a keeper and you buy it right it could be cool, I prefer getting the 5167R though, IMO the 5164SS and RG are way overpriced, so is the 5167R but I am getting a rather good price on it so decided to go for it, but the retail on 5164 whichever metal and 5167R is nuts even by PP standards IMO...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 02:30 AM   #15
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Funny to me the 116655 is not blinged up at all and is quite muted with black cerachrome bezel and matte black dial - so exact opposite IMHO.

As for which to get for the OP: Only you can decide and I would recommend trying both on as always. I think for the money the 116655 is a great versatile watch that can be worn in any situation. The 5164R is a nice watch but hefty price tag. So for me I'd go 116655 and it is likely my next watch as well.

PS Whichever you get make sure you buy right.
You're right, it is quite muted for a gold watch. I meant compared to the standard steel yacht master. The black bezel and gold case are quite different. I actually really like the case on the yachtmaster and the strap is excellent. As is the aquanaut strap of course. But at the 5164R price I'd go with a RO Jumbo in Gold or 5711R.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 02:37 AM   #16
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I like both, but would buy another watch in the 5164R price range.

I own the Rolex and can strongly recommend it. The combination of matte black and RG is just sexy and still subtle. The watch is very comfortable. It is the most versatile watch in my collection - and winner of the most wrist time - it works perfectly with sharply dressed Italian business suits, smart casual clothing and casual leisure outfits.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:16 PM   #17
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

In terms of a GMT watch, I find the 5164 the best out of the pieces I have tried.

I certainly will add the 5164 back into my collection, as I traded my YG Rolex GMT this past week, but I will wait for the price to substantially drop. You can't justify it now IMO.

JPS
Old 8 August 2016, 01:10 PM   #18
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Very common battle between Aquanauts and YM's. I flipped my 5167 for a 116655 but both watches are great. Hard to not consider price though. The the 5164r is what...double?
Old 8 August 2016, 01:12 PM   #19
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Of those two I prefer the patek, but not exactly a fair comparison given price. Have to say though, I tried on a 116655 and really liked it. Not quite as comfy as my 5167, but not bad at all. As far as gold rolexes go, I thought the rubber strap and black bezel made it quite restrained. Definitely a fan of the matte black dial
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2016, 12:47 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I forgot to say that at the shop where I got my 5712 they had both 5164 and the Rolex, we, me and another TRF member, de66, asked to see the Rolex and 2 5164's, we hardly looked at the Rolex, the SS Aqua we found to be very boring but the 5164R absolutely stunning
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2016, 02:06 AM   #21
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I want the 5164r
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2016, 05:24 AM   #22
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Of those two I prefer the patek, but not exactly a fair comparison given price. Have to say though, I tried on a 116655 and really liked it. Not quite as comfy as my 5167, but not bad at all. As far as gold rolexes go, I thought the rubber strap and black bezel made it quite restrained. Definitely a fan of the matte black dial
I was blown away by how good the 116655 was. Super comfortable, not top heavy at all, and very under-the-radar.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2016, 11:07 AM   #23
lamshanks
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for all of your thoughts. Really appreciate the help.

Again, ignoring for a moment the price difference (and perhaps, lack of availability)...

Patek 5164R vs. Rolex 116655 VS...

AP Equation of Time in RG

Thoughts?

Just happen to run into AP's senior management today. Some happened to be wearing an EOT which I thought was very attractive. But still possible to get new? Worth the additional cost? And then there is the always (inexplicable?) fact that it seems Patek & Rolex seem to hold value whereas AP does not...? Thanks so much again.
lamshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2016, 12:34 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You're overthinking this I think. Which one excites you the most?
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2016, 11:17 PM   #25
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Again, ignoring for a moment the price difference (and perhaps, lack of availability)...

Thoughts?

Just happen to run into AP's senior management today. Some happened to be wearing an EOT which I thought was very attractive. But still possible to get new? Worth the additional cost? And then there is the always (inexplicable?) fact that it seems Patek & Rolex seem to hold value whereas AP does not...? Thanks so much again.
Still the PP for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2016, 11:31 PM   #26
HL65

Quote:

Thoughts?

Still the 116655 for me...Will strap my new one on later today.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 10 August 2016, 11:49 PM   #27
Conant
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP5167/1a
I saw the 5164r at my AD last week. It was a beautiful piece. If I was considering a 5164 I would definitely get it in rose. The combination of that and the travel time complication just go well together IMO. But I agree buy what moves you.
Conant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2016, 12:23 AM   #28
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Big congrats to you! Great watch with wonderful details. Enjoy it!!!
Old 11 August 2016, 12:36 AM   #29
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Big congrats to you! Great watch with wonderful details. Enjoy it!!!
Thanks!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 11 August 2016, 01:23 AM   #30
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Dang it. I really want one but on bracelet.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote