The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2022, 04:44 AM   #91
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Had the Verizon Fios tech to the house this morning. We got a new router yesterday and had to upgrade from coax to ethernet cable. He had some obstacles and it's really warm out today so I walked him back to his van and offered him a tip "for lunch and a couple of cold drinks". He politely refused citing "They pay me to do this." He was a really nice guy and very tolerant of our curious pets as he upgraded our home.
In this case I would have been glad to tip him but with this thread in mind I have to admit his response was refreshing. Yes, he was just doing his job and yes, they pay him to do it but for some reason I was inclined to offer extra, which he refused.
Go figure.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 06:01 AM   #92
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I am so over the tipping nonsense, which has reach critical mass at many of the restaurants I frequent. I have no issue paying for service, and my minimum tip in a real restaurant, unless things go horribly off the rails, is 20%, and I tip on alcohol as well as food.

There is a massive distinction between a professional waiter or waitress, who takes your order, explains the specials, makes suggestions on wine, and actually works, and someone standing behind an iPad and handing me a cup. The only value they seem to be adding, from my perspective, appears to be making sure the iPad is plugged in, but in this Covid world they act like f****ing first-responders that we can't live without. It's literally a job that requires no skill other than a warm body. I agree with many of the prior posts that tipping has turned into nothing more than a scam by owners of these establishments to transfer the burden of their staff's compensation directly to the customer.

I have a what I'd call a high-end local fast-food restaurant at the end of my street that I've been going to a couple of times a week for 20 years. They have good burgers, salads, fries, but not cheap. A burger, fries and drink is $25+, and a salad with tuna or chicken is $20+. You order at a counter, and you pickup you food at a counter, and you pretty much bus your own table when you're done. I went through the drive-through the other day and noticed prices have gone up, like nearly 20%. So has everything else, so I figure it is what it is. Then I get to the window to pay, and...yep...they hand me a credit card device and there's a tip screen. Now I'm sort of annoyed, but I don't want to be a dick about it so I tip 15%. I get home, and my cesar salad is literally a third smaller than it used to be. I'd noticed this trend over my past few visits, and was wondering if it was just me being paranoid, but no doubt about now. So this restaurant, already kind of pricey for a quick bite, has practically doubled the cost of what you used to get, when the tip is factored in with much smaller portions and a price increase.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 06:15 AM   #93
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
I start at 30% and deduct for poor performance from there. I am not afraid to leave without tipping if the wait staff can't be bothered to provide good service.

Waiter knows the menu, offers suggestions, water glass is never less than 2/3 full, food arrives on our rhythm, I don't have to find the waiter, waiter isn't in a hurry for me to leave - 30%.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 12:33 PM   #94
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
This meme just came across my FB feed and I thought of this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 84842EFA-1E1A-450C-B30E-037D274528AF.jpeg (66.3 KB, 77 views)
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 12:23 AM   #95
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
It’s the new America we live in folks. Nobody wants to work and the young feel entitled. Certainly there are exceptions but that’s exactly what they are.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 01:01 AM   #96
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
It’s the new America we live in folks. Nobody wants to work and the young feel entitled. Certainly there are exceptions but that’s exactly what they are.
Our older residents are extremely entitled as well. Especially the senior citizens who literally get free healthcare and checks from Uncle Sam every month simply by virtue of breathing for enough years
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 01:07 AM   #97
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Our older residents are extremely entitled as well. Especially the senior citizens who literally get free healthcare and checks from Uncle Sam every month simply by virtue of breathing for enough years
If you’re speaking of Social Security you’re damned right it’s an entitlement. They paid into it and they’re entitled to it. How much we get is a direct reflection of what we put in and yes, I’m entitled to it.
Old 28 October 2022, 01:17 AM   #98
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
If you’re speaking of Social Security you’re damned right it’s an entitlement. They paid into it and they’re entitled to it. How much we get is a direct reflection of what we put in and yes, I’m entitled to it.
That’s not how taxes generally work. I pay 6 figures in taxes annually and receive virtually no services in return. Some folks pay millions or billions for their non existent services. I probably won’t get social security either, since the program will either be bust by then or the USD will be about as valuable as a Zimbabwe dollar.
Old 28 October 2022, 03:58 AM   #99
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

We also borrowed money to go to college, and paid it back.

Quote:
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:17 AM   #100
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
We also borrowed money to go to college, and paid it back.
Good for you!
Old 28 October 2022, 04:27 AM   #101
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s not how taxes generally work. I pay 6 figures in taxes annually and receive virtually no services in return. Some folks pay millions or billions for their non existent services. I probably won’t get social security either, since the program will either be bust by then or the USD will be about as valuable as a Zimbabwe dollar.

Let’s be honest though. Part of your taxes are for the said entitlement above. The rest is not and has nothing to do with a kickback in the same sense in theory. Or what am I missing on your consideration?
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:41 AM   #102
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
SS will not go bust as long as people are working and pay into it - maybe a reduction of appx. 23% in benefits, but it won't go bust. Also those people who paid into SS had no choice to opt out so that's money the govt has been holding for decades before paying out. And when you do get a pay out the benefits are subject to 85% taxation depending on your other income such as pensions 401k distributions etc. And those that are self employed paid in twice as much as others. But we're getting too far off topic here.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 05:50 AM   #103
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
SS will not go bust as long as people are working and pay into it - maybe a reduction of appx. 23% in benefits, but it won't go bust. Also those people who paid into SS had no choice to opt out so that's money the govt has been holding for decades before paying out. And when you do get a pay out the benefits are subject to 85% taxation depending on your other income such as pensions 401k distributions etc. And those that are self employed paid in twice as much as others. But we're getting too far off topic here.
Yes, taxes are besides the point here. But I’m not the one who introduced generational warfare into this topic.

The fact that older Americans are holding dollars that don’t buy what they expected is their problem. The same marketplace that handed them vast wealth is now handing them crappy service and a disgruntled workforce. Their dollars aren’t buying the service with a smile they expected. Which underscores what sophisticated parties already knew, which is that markets aren’t all sunshine and roses. I’m not sure what exactly is the solution, but calling all young people lazy and entitled is definitely not it.
Old 28 October 2022, 09:54 AM   #104
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, taxes are besides the point here. But I’m not the one who introduced generational warfare into this topic.

The fact that older Americans are holding dollars that don’t buy what they expected is their problem. The same marketplace that handed them vast wealth is now handing them crappy service and a disgruntled workforce. Their dollars aren’t buying the service with a smile they expected. Which underscores what sophisticated parties already knew, which is that markets aren’t all sunshine and roses. I’m not sure what exactly is the solution, but calling all young people lazy and entitled is definitely not it.
Old 28 October 2022, 10:15 AM   #105
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
You still haven’t made a point. So the young people who work at restaurants are entitled and lazy. What does that mean? That you’ll tip less? Or that you’ll cook food for yourself? Or hire an old, non-entitled personal chef? You can’t force people who no longer care to do a good job.