The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2023, 01:00 AM   #121
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
wait am i reading this correctly? 12k pounds for a black DJ? what's the msrp over there? that seems like too much for a black dial

personally i would just tell them you want to send it to RSC and if rolex doesn't service it you want a refund. see if they go for that and if rolex services it then you know you'll have a clean watch. you can also have them fix it and trade it in for another one with someone else but you'll probably get killed on the trade in value
You're correct. £12k seems an awful lot for a 41mm DJ. I'd understand if it were a mint or motif dial. Trottters seem to sell at the lower end too.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 01:07 AM   #122
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
You're correct. £12k seems an awful lot for a 41mm DJ. I'd understand if it were a mint or motif dial. Trottters seem to sell at the lower end too.
this watch dealer Trotters Jewellers, is truly a disgrace.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 03:19 AM   #123
emtee
"TRF" Member

One question I have is are Trotters a Rolex AD or authorised repair centre? If the answer is no how are they able to order new hands direct from Rolex (their words) as I thought Rolex restricted the sale of genuine parts to the aforementioned?
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 03:59 AM   #124
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Stand firm on a return and your money back. Go to an Authorized Dealer and wait it out. You can wait 3-12 months for a black Datejust to be allocated.

There are so many issues here I don't even know where to start.

1) You've overpaid. waaay too much, even for a grey dealer.

2) With 90% certainty, they swapped the dial for a black one to fill your order. This is common practice by many grey dealers. (I have watched a tons of behind the scenes of the grey market)

2) With them opening up the watch, even just by unscrewing the caseback, your official Rolex warranty is VOID!

3) The reference number doesn't indicate the dial colour, only the model + which bezel it has on. There's no way to prove this originally came with a black dial. It's extremely unlikely.

4) I've seen Trotters youtube content. It's not my choice of people to do any type of business with, I can't possibly fathom why anyone would.

5) They absolutely must honor the return. Get a lawyer involved.

6) You will never be happy with the watch, and they can't possibly fix that. You will always have a "tampered" with watch at the end of the day. That's not a feeling that you want for your first Rolex..

7) Whatever they do, the Rolex warranty is already voided at this point.

8) They have lied and lied and lied to you. They can't "place an order with Rolex" for new hands. Only certified Rolex service centers can do so.

Again, a Black DJ isn't something that should be super hard to get from an AD. It's your first Rolex, don't go grey unless you can absolutely guarantee it's brand new. Which you almost never can, at least not as a 'newbie'.
VonSomething is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 04:00 AM   #125
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
One question I have is are Trotters a Rolex AD or authorised repair centre? If the answer is no how are they able to order new hands direct from Rolex (their words) as I thought Rolex restricted the sale of genuine parts to the aforementioned?
Lol they’re not, that’s why some were questioning where these new hands were coming from. I’m guessing they’re sourcing aftermarket hands or they’re going to swap them from another DJ41.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 04:19 AM   #126
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric Goldfinger View Post
Lol they’re not, that’s why some were questioning where these new hands were coming from. I’m guessing they’re sourcing aftermarket hands or they’re going to swap them from another DJ41.
Pretty much what I was alluding to.

If the OP can’t get a refund by playing nice then I would submit the watch to RSC and if the report confirmed that the watch was not as advertised (unworn and therefore by definition untampered with) then I would be taking them to the small claims court where he would almost surely win. It’s unlikely they would let it get to a hearing as they would know they don’t have a leg to stand on if the OP had that RSC report to submit as evidence.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 05:18 AM   #127
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post

1) You've overpaid. waaay too much, even for a grey dealer.
While this is not wrong, the OP would do well not to bring it into the discussion whatsoever. Then it just looks like a case of sour grapes. Did he overpay? Absolutely. Did he care about that if that was the only issue? Seems a resounding "no" on that one. On these things it's important never to muddy the waters.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 10:10 AM   #128
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Hands are made of 18ct gold so they can’t tarnish. Someone messed with those hands, so it shouldn’t have been sold as new by any AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 06:28 AM   #129
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Hands are made of 18ct gold so they can’t tarnish. Someone messed with those hands, so it shouldn’t have been sold as new by any AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a grey dealer……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 12:18 PM   #130
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisDouglas View Post
Bro, its a youtube link...

You've just spoilt my thread.

DISCLAIMER: GUYS YOU CAN CLICK A YOUTUBE LINK, ITS NOT DANGEROUS

Any feedback is appreciated.
it's really not a good idea to click on any links. a single changed character could bring you to a whole other site, it's a common tactic hackers use. (If you work with sensitive info this is something that is on your radar, but also good for personal use as well). Same with email addresses, it can look like it's coming for your bank, but just throw one extra symbol or letter and it's just a scammer.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 06:51 PM   #131
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
it's really not a good idea to click on any links. a single changed character could bring you to a whole other site, it's a common tactic hackers use. (If you work with sensitive info this is something that is on your radar, but also good for personal use as well). Same with email addresses, it can look like it's coming for your bank, but just throw one extra symbol or letter and it's just a scammer.
A little common sense goes a long way. In my ~30ish years of being on the internet I have not once clicked on anything phishing related. If there's a link somewhere, I check it, thoroughly, before clicking it.

Back in the old 'warez'-days it was a common tactic to hide seemingly regular links, so you'd had to check the lower part of your browser to make sure it also sends you to what the text said:

Example:

My link below doesn't send you to youtube, even if it may look that way. (don't worry, it harmlessly sends you to google)

https://www.youtube.com/

When you hover over the link with your cursor, it will reveal the actual destination, typically in the bottom left part of the browser window. On mobile perhaps long-pressing it reveals it.
Old 14 July 2023, 07:22 PM   #132
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I hate to say how many times I've clicked on this thread. Each time I forget what it's about. I must add that I always wash my hands before eating.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 07:35 PM   #133
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

This is a misleading action (and therefore a prohibited unfair practice) under Regulation 5 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...7/regulation/5

Amongst other things (including misleading omission under Regulation 6)

Happy to assist you pursue action against Trotters.

Right to unwind contract within 90 days, right to discount/damages. Take these cowboys to the cleaners - the law is on your side here.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 09:40 PM   #134
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Seller is offering to fix it as he should.
That’s all there is to it, get it fixed and enjoy it
Old 14 July 2023, 10:03 PM   #135
Walter Sobchak
Banned

I can confirm that Trotters sell legit goods. This fella sold me a cushty 13 carat day date. Lovely Jubbly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db.jpg (60.3 KB, 169 views)
Walter Sobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 11:26 PM   #136
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
This is a misleading action (and therefore a prohibited unfair practice) under Regulation 5 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...7/regulation/5

Amongst other things (including misleading omission under Regulation 6)

Happy to assist you pursue action against Trotters.

Right to unwind contract within 90 days, right to discount/damages. Take these cowboys to the cleaners - the law is on your side here.
are you a lawyer?
Old 14 July 2023, 11:35 PM   #137
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Seller is offering to fix it as he should.
That’s all there is to it, get it fixed and enjoy it
Trotters said they would fix the watch themselves by replacing the hands(but they are not rolex authorized watch maker). the question is, can they guarantee that this will not void the 5 years warranty by rolex?
Old 15 July 2023, 12:03 AM   #138
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
Trotters said they would fix the watch themselves by replacing the hands(but they are not rolex authorized watch maker). the question is, can they guarantee that this will not void the 5 years warranty by rolex?
…they don’t have in-house watchmakers…they outsource as far as I know.
Old 15 July 2023, 04:05 AM   #139
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's already void at this point. As soon as they even unscrew the caseback.
Old 15 July 2023, 04:16 AM   #140
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
It's already void at this point. As soon as they even unscrew the caseback.
Good, then just refund the OP. Shame on Trotters.
Old 15 July 2023, 07:21 AM   #141
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
are you a lawyer?
Guilty
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 07:35 AM   #142
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
UPDATE:

After inspecting the hands with a loupe and finding them to be utterly f**ked, i contacted Trotters - During this grace period as i arranged to see them the watch actually started losing time despite being wound and only 6 months old.

The second hand kept sticking at 6th dial and wouldn't move without a tap or shake. Unbelievable.

By this point my patience had completely diminished, my first time owning a rolex was tainted and now with a broken/faulty watch i found myself 12k in the hole.

Today I rang the guys at Trotters and said I'm driving 150 miles and im coming into the store and want this sorted today.

Upon arrival I was apologised to profusely and was told i could pick any DJ in the store I wanted and have a straight swap. They also gave me a bottle of champagne to further appease me along with 2 free[ATTACH]t.jpg[/ATTACH] leather travel cases that retail for £45.

My eye was immediately drawn to this 2021 bi-colour with a Wimbledon dial, box and papers. and yes, im in love.

Still on that AD waiting list, but this will more than do in the meantime.

I want to again thank everyone for your helpful comments and support during this time, i don't know what the lads at trotters did to fulfil my original order; perhaps a covert dial swap or maybe meshed random pieces of multiple watches? Who knows, but now i have this pristine DJ and i'm super happy.

Hope to be posting in here more!

Thanks again everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t2.jpg (114.0 KB, 137 views)
LewisDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 07:41 AM   #143
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Congrats and good to hear you are happy with the outcome!

This is a beauty also!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 07:46 AM   #144
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
Congrats and good to hear you are happy with the outcome!

This is a beauty also!
Thank You! It is what it is, again I felt it was important to be transparent with everyone here with the conduct at trotters. yes it was certainly a f**K up, but it was somewhat remedied.

You can all make your own assumptions with the info provided.
LewisDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 07:53 AM   #145
SteveY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank You! It is what it is, again I felt it was important to be transparent with everyone here with the conduct at trotters. yes it was certainly a f**K up, but it was somewhat remedied.

Very please it has been resolved in your favour, surely is a beauty
SteveY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 08:14 AM   #146
dannyp
Banned

So long as you were able to confirm that it was indeed untampered with I would say you got a good deal there. And if/when AD calls with your watch of choice you’ll almost certainly get back every penny you paid on this one (if you decide to sell and not keep both).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 09:20 AM   #147
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well done for sorting it out and congratulations on the new watch.

Good you posted back here with the update. Not great but I’d also be pleased with the final outcome.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 09:24 AM   #148
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sounds like this is a first-class store who handled everything professionally.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 09:27 AM   #149
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
UPDATE:

After inspecting the hands with a loupe and finding them to be utterly f**ked, i contacted Trotters - During this grace period as i arranged to see them the watch actually started losing time despite being wound and only 6 months old.

The second hand kept sticking at 6th dial and wouldn't move without a tap or shake. Unbelievable.

By this point my patience had completely diminished, my first time owning a rolex was tainted and now with a broken/faulty watch i found myself 12k in the hole.

Today I rang the guys at Trotters and said I'm driving 150 miles and im coming into the store and want this sorted today.

Upon arrival I was apologised to profusely and was told i could pick any DJ in the store I wanted and have a straight swap. They also gave me a bottle of champagne to further appease me along with 2 free[ATTACH]Attachment 1379138[/ATTACH] leather travel cases that retail for £45.

My eye was immediately drawn to this 2021 bi-colour with a Wimbledon dial, box and papers. and yes, im in love.

Still on that AD waiting list, but this will more than do in the meantime.

I want to again thank everyone for your helpful comments and support during this time, i don't know what the lads at trotters did to fulfil my original order; perhaps a covert dial swap or maybe meshed random pieces of multiple watches? Who knows, but now i have this pristine DJ and i'm super happy.

Hope to be posting in here more!

Thanks again everyone!
glad it worked out and good on them for allowing you to do a straight swap into any DJ you wanted
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 09:32 AM   #150
Hems
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
I see what you mean now. Strange, i would go back to the store you bought it and ask what that is. They have loupes and can take a better look at it.
+1
Go back to the store you bought, they will provide a better answer when they take a look.
Hems is offline   Reply With Quote