The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2020, 04:49 AM   #1
texascrane
"TRF" Member

The Rolex buying experience isn’t very good

I apologize up front for this mini-rant. I’m sure this topic isn’t new.

I’ll start off by saying that I’m not a big “watch guy”. I’ve owned a few watches over the years, and I’m familiar with a few of the nice watch brands, but I’ve never spent much time on watch forums, sites, blogs, etc.

About a month ago I decided I’d like to get a Submariner with date. I want to buy it from an authorized dealer. I almost bought one about 15 years ago and had no idea how much things have changed. Obviously the pandemic has complicated things, but I didn’t realize how difficult it seems to be to actually walk into a dealer, hand then $10k and walk out with a watch.

I’ve called several dealers (and gone into one) and get everything from we’ll put your name on a “list” with no idea of when they’ll have a watch for me, to “sorry, we don’t have any and our list is really long”. It doesn’t help that I live in Austin which isn’t exactly swimming in dealers. I’ve got to say that the lack of transparency is pretty frustrating. I get that they can’t sell me what they don’t have, but it feels like I should be able to give somebody a deposit and a rough expectation of when to come pick up my watch.

I admittedly don’t have a relationship with any jewelers. My wife doesn’t wear jewelry except for an inexpensive necklace I bought her 20 years ago and her wedding/engagement rings. I quit buying her anything else since she never wears it. I’m not sure how to convince a dealer that I’m not a flipper if for no other reason than it wouldn’t be worth my time.

It honestly feels like I’m trying to play a game where I don’t really understand all the rules. I’m not interested in the grey market because I don’t feel informed enough to ensure I’m buying an authentic watch. I guess this approach is working well for Rolex, but it sure is frustrating - which I can’t imagine is a word that any brand wants associated with their purchase experience. I wonder if there’s a point in time where this approach comes back to bite them.

If one of the dealers calls me back and tells me they have a watch for me, I’ll go buy it, but honestly I’m also sitting here thinking that $10k would pay for a really nice new mountain bike and trip this fall.
texascrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 04:53 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Over the years Rolex has had a policy of no over-the-phone sales, or Internet sales.

Calling around is convenient for you, but it may not end up with an AD willing to sell to you without a previous relationship.
Old 21 June 2020, 05:00 AM   #3
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Rules are fairly straightforward, though the exact parameters might differ from AD to AD.

A number of high-demand Rolex watches have become "allocation pieces," and are given to customers if they purchase a non-allocated piece. This helps the authorized retailer sell difficult-to-move pieces, as a way to survive in a world where ecommerce has given the grey market a giant edge.

The Sub Date is one of those pieces where you might be able to buy without having bought anything else beforehand, though there's usually a small wait time. Ask around enough ADs (in person) and you might luck out in being able to procure one quickly, if not instantly (some have been known to get lucky). Certain models (GMT, green Submariner) are substantially tougher and are used as greater leverage by salespersons; other models (Daytona, Sky-Dweller) even more so.

Having said that, the Submariner Date has a very slim resale margin; grey market dealers do not make that much over MSRP. If your attempts bear no results, consider reaching out to a trusted seller who will sell you one for $1000 or so over MSRP.

Or wait. Your call.
Old 21 June 2020, 05:01 AM   #4
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately they have a lot of other people waiting for the same thing you are, and many of them already have relationships with those dealers. The AD can't give you a date because they don't know when they'll even receive one, let alone who it will be allocated to at that time. There are trusted sellers on here that will get you an authentic Sub if you check the sales section.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:02 AM   #5
OttawaSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
You need to do some research (this site is excellent) into the ins and outs of supply vs demand and of luxury goods. The simple answer is that the supply of stainless Rolex sports models is x and the demand is xn. Rolex will not increase the supply, and as long as n stays greater than 1, you will not get the watch you want from an authorized dealer without playing their game or getting lucky. Your other options are to pay the current premium from a reseller (grey dealer) or try another brand. Or buy the bike.
Old 21 June 2020, 05:03 AM   #6
texascrane
"TRF" Member

Fair point. I have 2 dealers locally, one of which is currently closed and I’m not sure when they plan to open up. If I knew that somebody actually had something they could sell me, I’d happily drive to Dallas/Houston/San Antonio, but I’m not going to make a trip just to put in some “face time” at a dealer.

I am going to be up in Dallas at the end of July so maybe I can go to a dealer or two then.
texascrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:03 AM   #7
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I guess ADs are doing you a favor not taking your deposit, as they have no idea when they can get one for you. They will probably be very happy to take the deposit if you offer and buying a TT dj or DD
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:04 AM   #8
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrane View Post
Obviously the pandemic has complicated things, but I didn’t realize how difficult it seems to be to actually walk into a dealer, hand then $10k and walk out with a watch.
90% of Rolex product line is readily available to purchase from an AD. Buy yourself a brand new DJ or OP and you will have a sensational watch that can last you a lifetime
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:10 AM   #9
barters
"TRF" Member

Rolex has lost control of their market. It’s a mess & shame on them for letting it happen.

You should be sold their watch via an AD & have a great experience.

If they want to limit the number of pieces in circulation to maintain exclusivity then fine. Stick up the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:14 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Sounds like you really dont want a rolex to begin with.

That said these are the times. Ive never bought from an AD and doubt I ever will unless it is a Tudor. Playing the game for Rolex is just a waste of both mine and the ADs time. I, like you, don't buy jewelry and if I do it wouldnt be from a retail store.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:19 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
FWIW, you should have a look at the trusted sellers here.

I know you said you weren’t interested, but honestly that reference doesn’t carry a huge premium and it’s probably not worth your time going the AD route

EDIT: you may also find a BNIB and get your name on the warranty card, just as you would at a AD.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:21 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I know you said you weren’t interested, but honestly that reference doesn’t carry a huge premium and it’s probably not worth your time going the AD route

EDIT: you may also find a BNIB and get your name on the warranty card, just as you would at a AD.
If you want a product bad enough you go alternative routes to the first course. That is just my two cents.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:23 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a one and only watch. Save the headache. Go gray and have them get you your name on the card.

Or, find a friend who is a watch person that buys lots of watches and piggy back off their purchase history.

Oh, and yes, the brand purchasing experience does suck these days. But the watch ownership experience is still fortunately top notch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:26 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
If you want a product bad enough you go alternative routes to the first course. That is just my two cents.
agree

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:27 AM   #15
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

OP, I share your frustration. Why do Rolex feature the SS BLRO heavily in its marketing, as a person with no prior spend history can be made to feel like an idiot when asking to purchase one.

The hints of buying jewellery or other watches simply in order to get on a 'waitlist' backfires as I wont play those games.

Be patient, visit AD's in person but don't go out of your way to do this and keep checking in on this forum as these tactics are going to affect the AD's bottom line in the long run

Last edited by Jb1264; 21 June 2020 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Jb1264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:31 AM   #16
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Just some perspective for OP.

In 2016, I decided to purchase a no date Sub for my husband. At the time, we lived in a midsized city with two AD's, neither of which I had any relationship with. I called them both from my car on the way home on a weekday.

AD #1 had none in stock that day, and offered me either a date Sub or a Sea Dweller. Would have been about a week to get the no date. I passed.

AD #2 had several in stock. They offered to hold one for me until I could pick it up a couple of days later, which I did.

No games, no limited stock, no lists, no bundling, no relationship. My husband decided not to keep it, as he didn't care for the maxi case, but the point is that it wasn't always like this. And for someone who doesn't know the current state of affairs, it's quite a shock to the system.

When I purchased in 2016, it worked the way I assumed it should/would, but it doesn't work that way anymore. I empathize with you, OP.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
jfp2476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:36 AM   #17
ashbrown
"TRF" Member

look I will go ahead and say it...

What this poster describes will absolutely hurt the brand long term. To think that sport watches will command double retail on the secondary market indefinitely and customers will be asked to wait years and years for an imaginary watch from an AD is completely unsustainable and has likely alienated a large group of consumers. People will eventually lose interest and spend their money on another brand or a mountain bike and vacation as the OP suggests. Enjoy the bike and trip texascrane. I agree that scarcity can be a great tool for a luxury brand like Rolex but it has its limits. Considering positioning/production volume by Rolex I cant imagine any other industry where this strategy has long term viability= Rolex is not Ferrari/ Birkin etc. They have completely lost control over their distribution.

Not too long ago the commentary in the watch market as a whole was watches had become to expensive due to reliance on in house movements with brands coming to market with cheaper entry level steel pieces aimed at younger consumers while Rolex released a steel skydweller at half the price to be more approachable and was restricting gmt service parts to independents to increase service revenue for the brand out of necessity to now its simple historically bread and butter sport watches unobtainable to the average customer.

Does anyone really think this market is organic? I would venture to say Rolex doesn't even believe it.
ashbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:38 AM   #18
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Quote:
Originally Posted by barters View Post
Rolex has lost control of their market. It’s a mess & shame on them for letting it happen.

If they want to limit the number of pieces in circulation to maintain exclusivity then fine. Stick up the price.

Spot on. Couldn’t agree more
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:38 AM   #19
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

At this point you really have the following options:

1. Play the AD games and spend a **** load of cash to become a preferential customer
2. Pay a premium and buy it through the Grey market
3. Buy from an individual and run the risk
4. Explore other brands or discretionary purchases

The buying options are pretty straight forward at present, unfortunately not necessarily ideal. For what its worth many have purchased from David SW with NO problems (myself included).
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:42 AM   #20
NYBruin
"TRF" Member

Texascrane, i feel your pain in Austin. I went into one of our two ADs to spend $10k on an easy to get non-Rolex watch. They didn't have the watch but were going to order it for me. While there I asked to be added to the list for a Rolex sports watch. They said no and brushed me off. This is while I was there to spend ten grand on one of there other watches.

A week later I was in Century City LA on business and stopped into an AD that I had never been to before. The salesman asked if he could help me and I said I was just browsing because I could never get the sports watch I want.

He went into the back and came out a minute later with two submariners and a James Cameron and told me I could by any one I want. I bought the James Cameron.

My story doesn't help you, but I tell it because if you keep trying you never know and you just might get lucky one day.....although you can never have too many mountain bikes :)
NYBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:45 AM   #21
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barters View Post

The resale value is great, BUT I agree with this too. It’s total BS and I’m really not looking to buy the watches I want because it’s just too much of a chore. I’m over it.
I’m on the sidelines until things change. If they don’t, I’m fine with that too. I don’t need it that bad.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:47 AM   #22
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

This for sure OP
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:52 AM   #23
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

DavidSW is zero risk and he knows more and treats you better than any AD. The reality is many don't buy from any AD because of the games and incompetent service. DavidSW IS what buying a luxury watch is suppose to be. I would gladly pay a bit more getting the watch I want, when I want it and not kiss any azz of a retailer in hope they grace me with a sale. Nothing is worth that.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:02 AM   #24
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
DavidSW is zero risk and he knows more and treats you better than any AD. The reality is many don't buy from any AD because of the games and incompetent service. DavidSW IS what buying a luxury watch is suppose to be. I would gladly pay a bit more getting the watch I want, when I want it and not kiss any azz of a retailer in hope they grace me with a sale. Nothing is worth that.
Pretty much spot on.

BTW, things will not go any better for you in Dallas, I’m betting.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:09 AM   #25
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I would suggest going in person to a couple more dealers if you are able. Or when we are able.

You seem like a very upfront and honest person. You might be able to source one in short order if you go in person. But at least try to get one at retail from an authorized dealer first. Then you can look at other options.

The stainless steel sub is still hard to get, but much more doable than a lot of the other high demand watches.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:16 AM   #26
barters
"TRF" Member

DavidSW is great. I’ve bought from him in the past. I would not again in the future however as this whole rigmarole leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don’t want to buy grey. I don’t want to buy stuff I don’t want to build a relationship with an AD.

I live in Geneva. I work as a marketing director actually for a Swiss company. Hopefully I’ll meet someone in Rolex at some point and ask them if they are satisfied with the current state of affairs.

By the way I went today and put myself down for AP RO at their boutique. Still a waiting list but I was treated to a drink, exchanged WhatsApp details with the sales lady. Unlike Rolex where the staff hate you for asking for a SS sports watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:35 AM   #27
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I live in Austin and feel your pain. I had a good relationship with an AD here but they lost their Rolex contract. I’d recommend going to the AD on Burnet or the other one at the domain. Look at what they have then tell them you live in Austin and you really had your heart set on a Sub date. If they both give you the runaround, reach out to bernardwatch.com. They are a gray market dealer and you can get one from them in person with an appointment. Good luck
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:45 AM   #28
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Save the headache. Go gray and have them get you your name on the card.
Interesting, didn’t know that was doable. You’re saying I could buy a watch from say, Bobs, with box and card and request my name is placed on the card as the original purchaser?

Separately, I’ve seen many subs from reputable greys at MSRP+NY tax. Not sure what sales tax is in TX, but the premium still would be negligible.

Phone is ringin, ohmuhgoh....
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:47 AM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It's probably best to just go to a highly reputable grey dealer.

The whole situation is absolutely ridiculous just to be in the running to buy a watch and one has to seriously consider the merits of going with one particular offering in the market place over another.
There are loads of nice watches in the diver watch segment which are more readily available across different brands.
For that matter other watch types across the different brands which are outstanding timepieces in their own right
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 07:02 AM   #30
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I mean, I don’t know what else you expected to hear from the AD’s?
You have zero purchase and relationship history so obviously you will not be chosen to receive the next available Sub date over the people who actually do
Have a purchase history and rapport with the AD. They’re just being honest with you. Good luck in your hunt !
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote