The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2023, 06:19 PM   #91
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Newer movements are still affected. According to Bas, the movement issues haven’t been solved, and it’s essentially just a matter of time for all of them.

The issue probably revolves around how often the watch is worn. Some watches be daily worn and have issues within a couple of years, while others may be worn sparingly enough in rotation that, when they do fail, it will seem like a normal service interval.
That is incorrect, unfortunately.

The observed and reported issues are known for 32xx watches which are daily worn, frequently worn, rarely worn, and unworn (= full winding 3-4 times per year) watches, see 3161

I had three 32xx watches: one unworn, one rarely worn, one often worn. All three failed well before the end of the 5-year warranty.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:06 PM   #92
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Well that's a bit of a relief. Am I correct in there isn't really much consensus on WHEN these issues start appearing?
Bas stated that there are even unsold watches with low amplitude.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:10 PM   #93
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Wear the watches. If it fails, send it to RSC. In warranty, their problem. Out of warranty, well … they’d hopefully fix it during service.

Wear something else in the meantime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:15 PM   #94
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
If it’s a fundamental design issue of the movement, then every watch would have the potential, but use case would determine whether it shows up.

An interesting poll would be to see how many 32xx owners have exclusively worn their watch daily for 5+ years without issue.

Since I’m sure not everyone has been keeping up with the huge thread, Bas a few weeks back:
Thanks for posting this.

I’m going to go with what Bas says … Rolex will eventually fix the problem.

I’m curios what Scott (our other tech expert) has to say
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:57 PM   #95
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
If it’s a fundamental design issue of the movement, then every watch would have the potential, but use case would determine whether it shows up.

An interesting poll would be to see how many 32xx owners have exclusively worn their watch daily for 5+ years without issue.

Since I’m sure not everyone has been keeping up with the huge thread, Bas a few weeks back:
Yes, I’ve read that quote. Listen, I have for the most part extricated myself from one seemingly endless thread where a bunch of guys expend a lot of energy trying to make me feel like my watches are crap and here I have allowed myself to get sucked into another one so I’m kind of feeling like a dope at the moment because I fell for it again. I don’t deny anyone’s problem but I haven’t had a problem and I’m not gonna get my knickers in a knot because someone else is mad about something. If my watch needs fixing I’ll get it fixed. If my watch no longer pleases me I’ll trade it in on another watch which I already do with some regularity. None of this drama is worth the stress of arguing about anymore. Tap out.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:14 PM   #96
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Yes, I’ve read that quote. Listen, I have for the most part extricated myself from a seemingly endless thread where a bunch of guys expend a lot of energy trying to make me feel like my watches are crap and here I have allowed myself to get sucked into another one so I’m kind of feeling like a dope at the moment because I fell for it again. I don’t deny anyone’s problem but I haven’t had a problem and I’m not gonna get my knickers in a knot because someone else is mad about something. If my watch needs fixing I’ll get it fixed. If my watch no longer pleases me I’ll trade it in on another watch which I already do with some regularity. None of this drama is worth the stress of arguing about anymore. Tap out.
That’s very much where I land on it too Kevin.

The thread you’re referring to, sort of turned me off certain members of this forum, not because of their stance on the timekeeping issues (for the record I believe there are issues to what extent, no one really knows), but because of how some of them they make me (and it sounds like others) feel.

Great that they have a passion to chase this dog for as long as they have. I hope it brings them happiness.

To each their own.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:21 PM   #97
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post

I had three 32xx watches: one unworn, one rarely worn, one often worn. All three failed well before the end of the 5-year warranty.
What does "failed" mean ?
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:36 PM   #98
saxo3
"TRF" Member

To those that believe in the 32xx problems, what is your plan/strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
What does "failed" mean ?
Very simple:
Unworn Pepsi (3285 movement)
Three (3) years after purchase
Timekeeping: -19 sec/day
Amplitudes after full winding:
Horizontal: 200-200 degrees
Vertical: 150-180 degrees

Love the watch but not the movement

Old 6 April 2023, 11:38 PM   #99
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I’ve read that quote. Listen, I have for the most part extricated myself from a seemingly endless thread where a bunch of guys expend a lot of energy trying to make me feel like my watches are crap and here I have allowed myself to get sucked into another one so I’m kind of feeling like a dope at the moment because I fell for it again. I don’t deny anyone’s problem but I haven’t had a problem and I’m not gonna get my knickers in a knot because someone else is mad about something. If my watch needs fixing I’ll get it fixed. If my watch no longer pleases me I’ll trade it in on another watch which I already do with some regularity. None of this drama is worth the stress of arguing about anymore. Tap out.
I understand. This isn’t emotional for me. I’m a gear nerd, so whether it’s watches, cars, cameras, musical equipment, etc., I primarily enjoy equipment forums of all kinds because of the tech talk and historical research. I’d rather read a thousand threads of Bas discussing the positives or negatives of an escapement than I would a single thread of people taking pics of their watches in front of a cocktail or discussing how to get on an AD’s list.

I suppose the Rolex forum is unique in that it brings jewelry and gear talk together, and I heavily lean towards the latter, but I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad about their purchase. Just trying to understand an issue.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:43 PM   #100
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
That is incorrect, unfortunately.

The observed and reported issues are known for 32xx watches which are daily worn, frequently worn, rarely worn, and unworn (= full winding 3-4 times per year) watches, see 3161

Interesting point. I was under the assumption that wearing the watch would still accelerate things from whatever state the watch sits at currently. It’s quite interesting if the rate of degradation is the same if being worn or not.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:46 PM   #101
saxo3
"TRF" Member

To those that believe in the 32xx problems, what is your plan/strategy?

Quote:
Interesting point. I was under the assumption that wearing the watch would still accelerate things from whatever state the watch sits at currently. It’s quite interesting if the rate of degradation is the same if being worn or not.

My second 3285 watch: rarely worn (less than 15x). Result after full winding:

Old 6 April 2023, 11:47 PM   #102
printzone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because warranties only last 5 years, and then 2 after the service. If you have to send it in every 3 years, it’ll start costing you.
Hi guys. New member here waiting on an Air King that I intend to keep long term. Let's say this problem develops out of warranty - what's the typical service cost?
printzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:57 PM   #103
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

And yet none of this failure rate is pre determined or even inevitable for all watches. I don’t believe or don’t believe there is an issue other than nothing is a factual guarantee on both sides of the fence.
The speculation with this topic has reached paranoia/tin foil hat levels so that must be kept in perspective on the real world risk. This is like hyper analyzing why you’re worried about being worried creating self induced anxiety attacks. It’s a watch and anything that may or may not arise can be serviced so start wearing the watch and live your life instead of the watch wearing you. My 1.5 year old daily LVC has still been spot on accurate in the +/-0 seconds a week. I believe Rolex will address any issues should they do arise regardless the reason as they always have in the past.
Old 7 April 2023, 12:07 AM   #104
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm out of warranty on an unworn SD43 NOS 2017. It's running at -6 s/d when fully wound and resting horizontal up. It's been getting slower through the years, used to be at -1 s/d when bought in 2017. I'll start wearing it when I turn 50 and will monitor how it performs on a normal wearing pattern.

I also have a TT Sub41 since 2020 and it's running at +1 s/d. This one gets considerable wrist time. I've got 2 1/2 years left on the warranty.

My strategy is to take them to the RSC if they go outside +10 / -10 s/d. I'm fine paying for it if outside the 5 years warranty period from factory. Then it becomes 2 years warranty from the RSC. If that runs out and the problem reoccurs (beyond +10/-10), I'll probably take them back again and again.

I'm confident Rolex will eventually come up with a permanent fix for what I believe is a design fault, like they've always done in the past with other movements. I'm mentally prepared to go through the tedious RSC process. I love my watches and I want to keep them. I don't give up easily. Having a mechanical watch also means you've got to accept it can wrong. Not ideal but it's part of the ownership experience.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 12:20 AM   #105
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
I feel a more correct thread title would be “For those not in denial about the 32xx problems”

For me, given that some are affected and some not, if it happens again I’ll send it for service and then move it on. As I did last time.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 12:35 AM   #106
Partners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I’ve read that quote. Listen, I have for the most part extricated myself from one seemingly endless thread where a bunch of guys expend a lot of energy trying to make me feel like my watches are crap and here I have allowed myself to get sucked into another one so I’m kind of feeling like a dope at the moment because I fell for it again. I don’t deny anyone’s problem but I haven’t had a problem and I’m not gonna get my knickers in a knot because someone else is mad about something. If my watch needs fixing I’ll get it fixed. If my watch no longer pleases me I’ll trade it in on another watch which I already do with some regularity. None of this drama is worth the stress of arguing about anymore. Tap out.
You’re right this thread is getting out of hand like the other one. Reading this is getting me more paranoid about my watch. I see both sides of the story as I love the appearance and technical aspects of Swiss watchmaking. But im out also on this thread. Can’t be worrying everyday about my watch movement. Ugh
Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 12:46 AM   #107
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
If you don't believe there are issues or think it's NBD, please don't comment as there are lots of threads for that debate.
Sorry for your thread, OP, some gentlemen can't read or understand.
Old 7 April 2023, 12:58 AM   #108
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Just to put it in perspective for anyone reading this who hasn't heard about the 'issues' before...32XX movements are in the following watches:

OP 36
OP 41
Deepsea Challenge
Submariner
Explorer
AirKing
DJ36
DJ41
SeaDweller
Deepsea
Submariner Date
YM40
YM42
DD36
DD40
GMT Master 2
Explorer 2

It's in literally every watch Rolex make!

If the 'problem' was that serious you would hear about it waaaaaaaay more than we do.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:01 AM   #109
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Strategy? Wear it, enjoy it, if it breaks, get it fixed. What strategy is there?
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:07 AM   #110
febie111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
Just to put it in perspective for anyone reading this who hasn't heard about the 'issues' before...32XX movements are in the following watches:

OP 36
OP 41
Deepsea Challenge
Submariner
Explorer
AirKing
DJ36
DJ41
SeaDweller
Deepsea
Submariner Date
YM40
YM42
DD36
DD40
GMT Master 2
Explorer 2

If the 'problem' was that serious you would hear about it waaaaaaaay more than we do.
Thanks for posting this as I had no clue..Any particular years for these watches as I know Rolex tend to change movements occasionally and I am not up on it.
febie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:09 AM   #111
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by febie111 View Post
Thanks for posting this as I had no clue..Any particular years for these watches as I know Rolex tend to change movements occasionally and I am not up on it.
Any watch that has a crown logo between Swiss and Made on the dial.
Old 7 April 2023, 01:13 AM   #112
Blanch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just to put it in perspective for anyone reading...

Just because it's not publicly addressed by Rolex, or by owners of 32xx movements, doesn't mean the 32xx movement issues aren't serious. Many owners don't even know the problem exists, because they're not WISs.

Put it this way: You don't see many BLROs in the wild, nor do you even see many Rolex in the wild, but THEY DO EXIST.

Rolex won't acknowledge the problems with the 32xx movements because they don't have to. The same way Rolex doesn't disclose exact production numbers or exact sales figures.

Rolex will soon rollout a new 33xx movement because the problem with the 32xx movement is very true and very serious.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:14 AM   #113
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanch View Post
Just because it's not publicly addressed by Rolex doesn't mean the 32xx movement issues aren't serious. You don't see many BLROs in the wild, nor do you even see many Rolex in the wild, but they do exist.

Rolex won't acknowledge the problems with the 32xx movements because they don't have to. The same way Rolex doesn't disclose exact production numbers or exact sales figures.

Rolex will soon rollout a new 33xx movement because the problem with the 32xx movement is very true and very serious.
Did you just ignore everything I wrote and then make up something I didn't say so you could argue?

I never said Rolex will or will not acknowledge an issue.

I said if there was an issue which affects the movement in literally every watch Rolex make - the forum would be full of people complaining day in day out. It's not. So no, I don't believe it's 'very true and very serious'.
Old 7 April 2023, 01:15 AM   #114
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
my strategy is simple- 2x of any reference....one on the wrist while the others @ RSC (and vice-versa.)

this is aka the HA-DR strategy (high availability and disaster recovery!) i heartily recommend such a resilient strategy!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:15 AM   #115
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you just ignore everything I wrote and then make up something I didn't say so you could argue?
Welcome to the internet.
Old 7 April 2023, 01:17 AM   #116
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

OP 36
OP 41
Deepsea Challenge
Submariner
Explorer
AirKing
DJ36
DJ41
SeaDweller
Deepsea
Submariner Date
YM40
YM42
DD36
DD40
GMT Master 2
Explorer 2

Agree. You can find problems with the 31xx too. If they come out with a 33xx someday, you will hear the same thing. I think this forum is being overtaken by other brands trying to lower the interest of Rolex. Makes me not even want to be part of the forum. I come here because I love my perfect Rolex!
Old 7 April 2023, 01:19 AM   #117
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Of course watch makers see 32XX movements with issues more often than other models...because they probably make up 90% of the sales.

Not only that - but they are mainly in mens watches. The ones without this movement are the small DJ's and small OP's..and the SkyD and Daytona.

I bet most women (not all but most) won't ever check the time to see how accurate the watch is. I know my wife wouldn't have a clue. So again, it's no surprise people are sending in the 32XX movements more than others...
Old 7 April 2023, 01:30 AM   #118
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Agree. You can find problems with the 31xx too. If they come out with a 33xx someday, you will hear the same thing. I think this forum is being overtaken by other brands trying to lower the interest of Rolex. Makes me not even want to be part of the forum. I come here because I love my perfect Rolex!
exactly this. the 32xx naysayers must be raving about Hublot's exemplary movts.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:34 AM   #119
Blanch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I never said Rolex will or will not acknowledge an issue.

I said if there was an issue which affects the movement in literally every watch Rolex make - the forum would be full of people complaining day in day out. It's not. So no, I don't believe it's 'very true and very serious'.
I didn't ignore anything you said, but it seems that you ignored what I said, which was this: Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. "You don't see many BLROs in the wild, but THEY DO EXIST."

Just because you don't hear about a Rolex issue on TRF, doesn't mean much, because not every Rolex owner is a member of this site, nor do all members of this site have 32xx movements. That being said, there have been many threads that discuss the 32xx movement issues.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 01:42 AM   #120
HbbDiesel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 36
Will trade in at ad after the warranty(5 years) ,get more money than i pay in 2021 and then get a Quartz GS at discount ...easy at this.(And wear my 2002 Explorer all the time).
HbbDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote