The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2024, 10:39 PM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What Would You Do In This Situation?

I just got back a watch from Rolex service through my local AD. I requested that the watch be movement serviced with no refinish. When I picked up the watch, I noticed there were some additional scratches that were not there prior to service, most noticeably (to me) on the high polish case sides (crown and opposite crown).

Ultimately, I’m not overly fussed, as I know those additional scratches would be inevitable in the long-run.

Made me wonder though - what would you do in a similar situation?
illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 10:44 PM   #2
value.target
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
I just got back a watch from Rolex service through my local AD. I requested that the watch be movement serviced with no refinish. When I picked up the watch, I noticed there were some additional scratches that were not there prior to service, most noticeably (to me) on the high polish case sides (crown and opposite crown).

Ultimately, I’m not overly fussed, as I know those additional scratches would be inevitable in the long-run.

Made me wonder though - what would do in a similar situation?

I just picked up a new watch, recently. My "Sale Associate" removed the links and scratched up all my screws. They are mangled!

I don't mind wears and tears as result of the watch being enjoyed and worn.

But for a new watch, and bought at Rolex AD, it is hard not be to bothered!

Sorry this happened to your watch
value.target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 10:46 PM   #3
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by value.target View Post
I just picked up a new watch, recently. My "Sale Associate" removed the links and scratched up all my screws. They are mangled!

I don't mind wears and tears as result of the watch being enjoyed and worn.

But for a new watch, and bought at Rolex AD, it is hard not be to bothered!

Sorry this happened to your watch
How did you handle?
Old 11 February 2024, 10:47 PM   #4
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

If you have date-stamped photo's, of the scratchless areas, take it back to the 'shop', and present the evidence.

Good luck.

PS. If you have 'em, I'm sure we would love to see, before and after images.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 10:49 PM   #5
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Exactly why I will always use a good independent before RSC. Send it back and tell them to take out their scratches
Old 11 February 2024, 10:50 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It depends on how bad they are and your tolerance for them. I would take it to the AD and see what they say.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 10:58 PM   #7
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:

So many stories like this, it’s really disheartening. Who do they have working on these things that are so careless or clumsy?

My response would vary based on the amount of damage. With what you described, I would just fire RSC and use a private service provider in the future. Would share my disappointment with my AD as well.
Old 11 February 2024, 11:00 PM   #8
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
It depends on how bad they are and your tolerance for them. I would take it to the AD and see what they say.
Really not bad. Something I could put on in a day or two, easy. More the principle that someone trusted to service doesn’t put same level of care as you, yourself, would.

I would venture a guess that it’s not uncommon for watches coming back from RSC to pick up a scratch or two if not refinished completely.
Old 11 February 2024, 11:10 PM   #9
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

It’s like getting your car back from the Mercedes service dept with a new dent
Old 11 February 2024, 11:11 PM   #10
GoGetter5832
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 / OP41
I would ask them to buff out the scratches
Old 11 February 2024, 11:19 PM   #11
value.target
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, PP
Quote:
How did you handle?

I just let it go. I didn't want to create any tension with my SA, which could create a broken relationship!
value.target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:23 PM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Since you want no refinishing on the watch I'm assuming not much could be done.
You could politely bring it up to the AD and see what they say.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:24 PM   #13
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Quote:

Same happened to me ! I sent a NOS Tudor Hydronaut in for its very 1st service as it had been in a watch shop safe for 20 + years.

The watch was perfect and as new, prior to them getting their mits on it.

They returned it with a heavily scratched clasp .............It really boiled my urine you can imagine. They then polished the clasp in the back shop using there own in house watch maker.

All I got was a lousy half baked apology and an empty promise of "being looked after in future" ............worthless empty words.

I stopped using the AD from that point.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:25 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Before and after pictures are always a good idea.

I’m not sure how I’d react … I guess it would depend on the severity of the new scratches.

That said, without before and after pictures, I don’t think your AD would be able to do a whole lot for you, than offer you a polish, which you didn’t want in the first place.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:33 PM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
what would you do in a similar situation?
As you said, you did not want it polished and you know it'll be banged up more over the years. Like other dings you romantically embrace, the new ones will bring a smile too.

Enjoy your time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:37 PM   #16
77T

What Would You Do In This Situation?

Quote:
I requested that the watch be movement serviced with no refinish.
A few different things that I’d do.

I cited just this sentence to ask:
Is it fair to say that you don’t want your watches polished as a general rule?

If you never have your watches polished, then there is no remedy except a financial one - not practical nor recommended. Impossible to know who caused the minor blemishes.

After all, polishing the only practical remedy. So I agree with your current frame of mind to take it in stride.

The other things I’d do in future:
- Let RSC do a polish
- Skip the AD handling
- take macro photos of the watch upon receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 11:49 PM   #17
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If you weren’t bothered about getting it refinished during the service then for me you did the right thing in taking it on the chin and leaving it. It’s inevitable that with regular use they get marked anyway
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:21 AM   #18
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about this! It's sad as I have read a decent number of similar stories. You figure that the RSC or the AD/SA would handle pieces with extra care since they represent the brand! I guess at this point, I would at least say something. It needs to be officially known that you are unhappy and officially noted. Take it back, show them the damage and see what they have to say.

I personally wouldn't have it polished and ultimately just live with it. Or, if you chose to polish, I'm sure they wouldn't just do the affected areas. It would be all or none? In either case, you got something that you didn't want. (Polishing) Or, maybe they can give you some sort of a discount/partial refund on the service, or bump you up on the waiting list for a piece that you want? I think that is about the best case scenario at this point, since the damage is already done and cannot be undone.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 01:57 AM   #19
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
Same happened to me ! I sent a NOS Tudor Hydronaut in for its very 1st service as it had been in a watch shop safe for 20 + years.

The watch was perfect and as new, prior to them getting their mits on it.

They returned it with a heavily scratched clasp .............It really boiled my urine you can imagine. They then polished the clasp in the back shop using there own in house watch maker.

All I got was a lousy half baked apology and an empty promise of "being looked after in future" ............worthless empty words.

I stopped using the AD from that point.
I can’t envision a service setting where these types of issues routinely take place. If I serviced your watch, I would not scratch it up. Regardless of value, these service issues are completely unacceptable.

When considering the value of Rolex watches, and their multigenerational advertising campaigns about being superlative, exclusive, special, etc., allowing these careless errors to take place during servicing, is literally a slap across the face to any of their paying customers.
Old 12 February 2024, 02:09 AM   #20
RTG

I was disappointed with RSC last year. Sent in one of my wife's watches for service. Came back with a massive scratch across the center of the crystal. Huge, deep, ugly scratch that was not there when we sent it in.

This was the original dial which was supposed to be replaced during service as it had several flea bites (small chips on the edge of the crystal). We sent it in again to get the dial replaced and it came back perfect the second time around. I will never understand how RSC could have treated that watch so poorly as to put a deep 1” scratch across the center of the crystal. It was visible to anyone at a quick glance. A total lack of respect for their customer to send it back like that.
Old 12 February 2024, 02:16 AM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If I was in your situation I would not do anything.

You specified movement service only, but you believe that a watch can be completely be disassembled, handled, worked on, then reassembled and tested without there being a single scratch or blemish from the process - a very unlikely scenario.

A few scratches can be easily removed in the normal course of finishing off the service.

As you say though, in a few weeks they will simply be part of the new and the old.
Old 12 February 2024, 02:23 AM   #22
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Dial, or crystal was damaged? Not tracking… either way, it is disappointing, especially since they are supposedly inspected before going back to the customer.

Had a similar disappointing experience with Oris. Not damage, but dust on the dial and missed places on the case when they polished. Their attention to detail was disappointing. I’ll never do a factory service with them again.

Decided not to make an issue because they had already had it for the better part of a year. Who knows when I would’ve gotten it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 03:22 AM   #23
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Dial, or crystal was damaged? Not tracking… either way, it is disappointing, especially since they are supposedly inspected before going back to the customer.

Had a similar disappointing experience with Oris. Not damage, but dust on the dial and missed places on the case when they polished. Their attention to detail was disappointing. I’ll never do a factory service with them again.

Decided not to make an issue because they had already had it for the better part of a year. Who knows when I would’ve gotten it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Just some minor scratches on the case. Not going to say anything, because it is what it is, and there is no solution, because it has never been refinished and will keep it that way.

One other thing is the bezel is very stiff to turn. It’s an 18 year old 16610LV, so maybe it just needs some exercise. Definitely not due to dirt buildup given recent service.