The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2019, 03:23 AM   #31
Louispong89
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your reply. I mean I have made an effort to talk to the Sales representatives when I walk in but they just never look like they are willing to help me. I mean...sure I go straight for the question “any nautilus” and the answer is always a straight no. Just wondering why they don’t give any recommendation on getting one or genuinely try to offer advice on how to get one. I don’t wear a nice suit when I walk into the store but hey...that doesn’t mean I can’t afford one.
Louispong89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:24 AM   #32
Louispong89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
You can bundle in Vegas... spend 100k. You definitley get a nautilus
Spend 100k and you get on a waitlist for nautilus or aquanaut or you get it straight there no questions asked?
Old 28 December 2019, 03:34 AM   #33
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
You would want to bundle a $100k with a 5711? You know it’s cheaper to go grey
I'd just want both watches and I get into the good books with them then
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 04:18 AM   #34
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louispong89 View Post
Thanks everyone for your reply. I mean I have made an effort to talk to the Sales representatives when I walk in but they just never look like they are willing to help me. I mean...sure I go straight for the question “any nautilus” and the answer is always a straight no. Just wondering why they don’t give any recommendation on getting one or genuinely try to offer advice on how to get one. I don’t wear a nice suit when I walk into the store but hey...that doesn’t mean I can’t afford one.
You're going about it all wrong. Ask the sales rep if they have a 5227g. If they do, buy it. If not, order one. Then tell them you want a 5167/1a. One month later go back and ask if they have a 5960g. if they do, buy it, if not, order one. Then tell them you want a 5711/1a. One month later go back and tell them you want a 5172g and a 5205g and you'll pick those two up and pay for them when your 5711 and 5167 come in. Before you know it, you'll have your Aquanaut and your Nautilus.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 04:21 AM   #35
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
Grey, global recession, or bring your young child who is hopefully very cute who strikes up a watch conversation with the AD. No wait list for cute kids that live watches.
If your kid is really cute wouldn't it work better to sell the kid in the grey market and use the funds to buy a Nautilus, also in the grey market?
Old 28 December 2019, 04:21 AM   #36
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Strike up a relationship with an AD which you can get in to see regularly. Impress them with your interest in the brand and fine watchmaking. I think the entire market is softening to where the SS watches will be far more available to clients at MSRP. You will be amazed to see how demand will drop as the after-market premium drops. Which it has started to do. New watch sales have been driven insane by scarcity, bragging rights and 2X resale value.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 04:37 AM   #37
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
You're going about it all wrong. Ask the sales rep if they have a 5227g. If they do, buy it. If not, order one. Then tell them you want a 5167/1a. One month later go back and ask if they have a 5960g. if they do, buy it, if not, order one. Then tell them you want a 5711/1a. One month later go back and tell them you want a 5172g and a 5205g and you'll pick those two up and pay for them when your 5711 and 5167 come in. Before you know it, you'll have your Aquanaut and your Nautilus.
I believe in just being direct... that way minimal misunderstandings. What do I need to do to get a relationship started. Everyone knows how it works... just be straight forward is what I would recommend.

Quote:
If your kid is really cute wouldn't it work better to sell the kid in the grey market and use the funds to buy a Nautilus, also in the grey market?
Depends what the NPV is. My kid needs to take over my business dealings lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:53 AM   #38
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
Quote:
Divorce is expensive.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 11:51 AM   #39
Louispong89
"TRF" Member

Anyone got any luck in Las Vegas boutique recently?
Old 28 December 2019, 12:58 PM   #40
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Do pm fat ninja and illjit, ask them nicely how they got 4 pieces of 5711 each. Pls do exactly what they say.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:35 PM   #41
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Do pm fat ninja and illjit, ask them nicely how they got 4 pieces of 5711 each. Pls do exactly what they say.

Ramen boy!!!! Lol
If anyone wants. I here ramen boy is looking to sell the red aqua strap...
Old 28 December 2019, 03:45 PM   #42
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ramen boy!!!! Lol
Now you are making jin excited for nothing.
Old 28 December 2019, 07:20 PM   #43
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Strike up a relationship with an AD which you can get in to see regularly. Impress them with your interest in the brand and fine watchmaking. I think the entire market is softening to where the SS watches will be far more available to clients at MSRP. You will be amazed to see how demand will drop as the after-market premium drops. Which it has started to do. New watch sales have been driven insane by scarcity, bragging rights and 2X resale value.
Just keep hoping the protests will go on
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 09:24 PM   #44
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Developing an AD relationship from scratch seems to be a tall order w/o spending big dollars at this point in time. I agree prices have peaked and it appears more likely that the after-market premium will drop rather than rise again. Demand at the ADs will follow. The time lag may be substantial though, unless Nautlius/Aquanaut fall from grace just like Franck Mueller, Hublot, or Panerai have done to various degrees in the past. As a result I'd take a back seat if I was the OP and revisit the idea in 2021 or go grey if he absolutely has to have one now while they are (still) red hot.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 10:14 PM   #45
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
think it on that way , can u imagine how many tims they should say NO for the similar questions you ask ?must be really frustrating , they are there to make money and instead of that wasting in on worthless notes .my advice is still the same go grey or buy big .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 10:47 PM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Affording one is never the problem when they are selling for instant profits, that is the actual problem, far too many flippers are after these, and saying any Nautilus will do makes you look like one of them rather than a genuine buyer. As been said you have to convince them you are a serious watch fan, so put in the time with an AD and try to be interested in a non sports model.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 03:11 AM   #47
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Just keep hoping the protests will go on
But it’s getting better isn’t it? Btw as part of the trade deal. The ag purchases are by passing HK... I feel bad for HK to be honest...I think China can do a lot of things without HK now including trade the currency

Back on the watches... it’s not getting worst but the duration of the trough is also an issue... depends if greys have financial capital to hold ground I.e. carrying cost
Old 15 January 2020, 12:02 PM   #48
dougrx00
"TRF" Member

what are the grey aquanauts going for
dougrx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 10:42 PM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Hi all,

New to the forum but have really enjoyed all the incoming patek photos. It’s 2020 and I would like to ask all the veteran patek owners on how to work with local AD or for that matter...any AD for a chance at getting a nautilus or aquanaut. I live in Los Angeles but do go to Las Vegas from time to time. Any advice would be appreciated!
Buy other/more Patek watches.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:10 PM   #50
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Buy a watch, establish any sort of relationship first. Many ADs dont know if you are a true collector or just a flipper.
Old 17 January 2020, 11:18 PM   #51
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Now you are making jin excited for nothing.
Wat da heck

I was all

and then...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:32 PM   #52
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Depends on the age/condition; a newer Aquanaut in mint condition: 37K or so. A few years old one in good condition maybe 34K. And even older one in good conditon: 32Kish. You want to get the newest you can find so they don't need service soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrx00 View Post
what are the grey aquanauts going for
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:48 PM   #53
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Ramen boy!!!! Lol
Ha ! Jon , I would be first in line in front of his mom in law and Jin! Just wish he would quit putting pics of it on forum! He is killing me- showing is the only red PP in probably the whole world , never to be obtained by the common man :-((.
By the way Bob, I disagree that prices will decrease on the sport watches. Sure we see blips where prices diminish a little but as the economy gets stronger the prices and value of our beautiful timepieces will continue to appreciate. Just my opinion. :-) None of mine are for sale - how neat it is to buy and enjoy such works of art that actually not only hold their value but actually appreciate over time. I even heard of a Tiffany piece with a crooked line on it being sought out by collectors :-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:01 AM   #54
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Wat da heck

I was all

and then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Ha ! Jon , I would be first in line in front of his mom in law and Jin! Just wish he would quit putting pics of it on forum! He is killing me- showing is the only red PP in probably the whole world , never to be obtained by the common man :-((.
Old 18 January 2020, 12:12 AM   #55
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
By the way Bob, I disagree that prices will decrease on the sport watches. Sure we see blips where prices diminish a little but as the economy gets stronger the prices and value of our beautiful timepieces will continue to appreciate. Just my opinion. :-) None of mine are for sale - how neat it is to buy and enjoy such works of art that actually not only hold their value but actually appreciate over time. I even heard of a Tiffany piece with a crooked line on it being sought out by collectors :-))
There’s someone else on this forum that is looking to sell. If interested and u can’t find it ping me ...I remember who it is
Old 18 January 2020, 01:05 AM   #56
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
I can share my experience, although I understand it will be very different right now.

2015, 5712: Sitting in another store, noticed an interesting watch on the hand of another gentleman. Asked about it - it was an Aquanaut, he explained PP didn't have a Nautilus. Went to the Salon, looked at the watches, asked about waiting time - quoted 12-18 months. Collected after 12 months, no prior purchase history.

2019, 5167: Asked for an Aquanaut in the summer of 2018. Quoted 18-24 months. Put on the wish list, collected just before Christmas.

In the meantime I visited multiple times, but that is because I live close by to the Salon. Got free coffee and banter. Bought PP biography between the two watches.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 09:38 AM   #57
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
This advice was given to me by a long-term PP AD: be very polite, courteous and non-condescending. Give them a list, in order of preference, of the top 5 PP watches that you would like to purchase. Start the purchase process at #5 and slowly work your way up to #1. It may take a few years but it will be worth it ... good luck!
Old 18 January 2020, 07:37 PM   #58
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
This advice was given to me by a long-term PP AD: be very polite, courteous and non-condescending. Give them a list, in order of preference, of the top 5 PP watches that you would like to purchase. Start the purchase process at #5 and slowly work your way up to #1. It may take a few years but it will be worth it ... good luck!
Yep, that's the way to do it.
Old 18 January 2020, 11:16 PM   #59
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
It does help not to be a dick. But there’s one or 2 big collectors that I’ve met... big dicks and yet they get all the hot pieces. 1 or 2 actually members here but I won’t give out their name cause they don’t know they are dicks lol.

people see money they will want to sell to you
Old 19 January 2020, 01:47 AM   #60
Patekandrolex
Banned

begging, crying at patek showroom, dont want to leave even the showroom is about to close!

I believe, you will get one soon! LOL
Patekandrolex is offline   Reply With Quote