The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 March 2009, 09:10 AM   #1
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Icon20 Noise from watch...

So just the other day I was commenting (to myself) that my Rolex was silent when it was shaken, and a nice Seiko 5, and my Seiko Kinetic made a noise when shaken. In both the Seiko's it's the rotor turning you can hear.

Well.....I just noticed that my Rolex now has noise when I shake it or shake my wrist. It's not real loud, but you can hear it. It's a high pitched "tick" almost sounds like something hitting the inside of the case or case back. Watch was last serviced in 2004 and is a daily worn watch (not to mention vintage).

First, is this normal and I just didn't notice it before?
and second, what might it be if it's not normal?

Since it's getting close for a service, it might be time.

The serial number was hard to read, but from what I can tell it dates to 1977 5500 model Air King.
Old 6 March 2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
It's normal to hear the ticks.
for Daytona, you'll hear a swirling sound.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2009, 01:07 AM   #3
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
It's normal to hear the ticks.
for Daytona, you'll hear a swirling sound.
Thanks for the reply! It's still working fine, so I not going to worry about it for now.
Old 7 March 2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke1 View Post
Thanks for the reply! It's still working fine, so I not going to worry about it for now.
No no no, take it in for service ASAP! It is most likely the rotor axle that's either worn, bent or broken and that is now causing the rotor to touch the other metal in you watch, scraping away and developing metal dust! That dust in return will cut away on all the other gears, and basicly destroy everything inside! Please take it to a watchmaker!

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2009, 03:48 AM   #5
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
No no no, take it in for service ASAP! It is most likely the rotor axle that's either worn, bent or broken and that is now causing the rotor to touch the other metal in you watch, scraping away and developing metal dust! That dust in return will cut away on all the other gears, and basicly destroy everything inside! Please take it to a watchmaker!

Wow, OK that changes things! I had thought about sending to the folks over at QualityTyme.net. They advertise a overhaul for $395.00. There were several people at TRF that said they were OK.

Unless someone can recommend someone local to the Charlotte, NC area or someone with a better deal than 395.00 and recommended.
Old 7 March 2009, 07:02 AM   #6
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, OK that changes things! I had thought about sending to the folks over at QualityTyme.net. They advertise a overhaul for $395.00. There were several people at TRF that said they were OK.

Unless someone can recommend someone local to the Charlotte, NC area or someone with a better deal than 395.00 and recommended.

After looking at the serial # again, it looks like I was off by a few years on it's age. 345XXXX dates it to 1971.

I called a local shop in Charlotte and they wanted $675.00 for a basic overhaul. That sounded high to me. I was nice and thanked them for the info. Sounds like they do good work, and the lady was very knowledgeable of what they do.

Looks like I'll call QualityTyme. Man I hate to send this watch off...I just got if from my Dad....
Old 7 March 2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post

Vanessa, I know you're a professional and have no intention to challenge your opinion. However, everyone of my Rolex including new in box had a little clicking sounds when watch is shaken. I don't think all of them are broken??
In addition, I've sent several of them to Rolex for regulation or service and all came back the same way.
So maybe we're talking about different noises?
TT Blue Submariner "P"
Pam 311, 524, 297
Old 7 March 2009, 11:27 AM   #8
JPersat
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing everybody
Mine has the clicking noise also, but its just the SS bracelet knocking around into each other.
JPersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The poster has stated that his watch did not make any noise at all until recently......

I agree with Vanessa, the rotor axle is the weak point on a Rolex, and many that are not serviced routinely wear at the axle causing the self-wind counter weight to wobble when it spins and "nick" the back of the movement at the low point...

This is extremely common and can easily be checked by opening the back and looking to see if any marks show from where the metal to metal contact has been made..

Here is a worn axle.........the red stuff is metal dust (ground metal) the the groove at the small end is where the bushing has dug into the smooth surface from lack of lulbrication.

Old 7 March 2009, 12:54 PM   #10
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The poster has stated that his watch did not make any noise at all until recently......

I agree with Vanessa, the rotor axle is the weak point on a Rolex, and many that are not serviced routinely wear at the axle causing the self-wind counter weight to wobble when it spins and "nick" the back of the movement at the low point...

This is extremely common and can easily be checked by opening the back and looking to see if any marks show from where the metal to metal contact has been made..

Here is a worn axle.........the red stuff is metal dust (ground metal) the the groove at the small end is where the bushing has dug into the smooth surface from lack of lulbrication.
Correct, it was very quiet, if not silent before. When I shake my wrist, and hold my ear to the watch it almost sounds like the "Heartbeat" speeds up and slows back down, along with the "Ticking" I hear that wasn't there before. Another way to describe the sound is a very small BB that bounces off metal, sounds kinda like that (a ping). The watch is also running 6 mins fast a week, and needs a new crystal and it's time for a service anyway.

For those that know, is this rotor axle usually covered in the standard overhaul or is it one of those extra costs?
Old 7 March 2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Please let us know what RSC find.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
Pam 311, 524, 297
Old 7 March 2009, 03:25 PM   #12
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I once dropped my Rolex on the floor and about a couple of days later, I noticed that the power reserve was low. The watch was also making a sound as if something was hitting the back of the case. It actually was as I could feel each bump go through. I took it to Rolex for a service, it was obvious that the rotor had become loose due to the inability to wind correctly.

I did notice something a couple of months back too. The watch does make the same sound. In fact, I took my watch in to the RSC and the watch maker didn't notice anything.

Anyhows, looks like you are already putting it in for a look. Let us know what they find.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2009, 06:07 AM   #13
goduke1
"TRF" Member

I'll post the results, as I just sent her off...

I'm sporting the Timex till she gets back, because my Seiko needs some work too
Old 9 March 2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Correct, it was very quiet, if not silent before. When I shake my wrist, and hold my ear to the watch it almost sounds like the "Heartbeat" speeds up and slows back down, along with the "Ticking" I hear that wasn't there before. Another way to describe the sound is a very small BB that bounces off metal, sounds kinda like that (a ping). The watch is also running 6 mins fast a week, and needs a new crystal and it's time for a service anyway.

For those that know, is this rotor axle usually covered in the standard overhaul or is it one of those extra costs?
The rotor axle is included in the regular service cost. Don't be cheap when it comes to the service, because you'll get what you pay for...
But don't pay more than $600, coz that's the approximate charge when you send it to a RSC.
Good luck!

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 01:58 PM   #15
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
Vanessa, I know you're a professional and have no intention to challenge your opinion. However, everyone of my Rolex including new in box had a little clicking sounds when watch is shaken. I don't think all of them are broken??
In addition, I've sent several of them to Rolex for regulation or service and all came back the same way.
So maybe we're talking about different noises?
I agree. I bought my DJ brand new from an AD and it also makes this "rotor" noise. Sounds similar to my Tissot rotor winding (except my Tissot has a _loud_ winding rotor - you can hear it up to about 8 - 10 inches from your ear; sounds like a ratchet clicking. And I know it's indeed the rotor because it has a skeleton caseback, so I can see it turning).

However, on my DJ, it took a much more forceful shake to make the sound when it was brand new. After a few months, it took less force. Also when it was new, it took a lot more movement of my wrist to keep the power reserve up - so much so, that it'd sometimes stop at night when I was sleeping. Now the problem doesn't happen. I don't think it's coincidence. I believe that my DJ was sitting on my AD's shelf for at least a year before I bought it (according to the serial #) and because of this, maybe the lubrication needed some time to "break-in."

These noises are different from a "grinding" sound which I hear from my very old Tudor (I don't know its original year, but based on stuff I've read from this forum, I suspect that it's from 1969). I agree with Vanessa that this is most likely the rotor grinding against the inside of the case. I'm not the original owner of the Tudor, however I know that it has never been serviced - so this makes sense.

-Greg
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 10:21 AM   #16
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Just an update (No update really). Still no word from the Watchmaker. They have had it 2 weeks now, and I am almost sure they are in Basel now, considering I sent it to John Brozek (He wont miss that show). He said to expect a call hopefully this week to give me the report on it and the cost. I am really missing my watch!
Old 26 March 2009, 11:59 AM   #17
GinGinD

Just so long as you can tell when it's 9:57 Thursday night. I think we have a date with 'nova.

Gonna give us a hard time. Our team doesn't do well against teams with quick, athletic guards.

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2009, 01:13 AM   #18
goduke1
"TRF" Member

OK I got the damage report today. OUCH!!!

It needs a new tube and crown, new rotor axle, and several gears. In addition to a complete overhaul/service. There were metal shavings everywhere. The pinging I started hearing was indeed the Rotor hitting the caseback and movement. The repair cost was a little more than I expected, but it's getting fixed. Hopefully I'll have it back in a few weeks.
Old 31 March 2009, 07:13 PM   #19
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
sorry if this is cheeky but how much is it costing you?
dont have to answer if you dont wish
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2009, 01:47 AM   #20
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Well this will be a good discussion, Maybe Tools or Vanessa will chime in on this one.

When a watch is sent in to RSC for an overhaul, from what I have described, does it sound to be within the normal of items that would be covered in their standard overhaul price? I think their standard price is $600 correct?

If that is the case, I am paying a little more than if I would had sent it to Rolex. If not, I may be getting out cheaper.

All parts that are being replaced are 100% Rolex, he doesn't use aftermarket.
My watch is getting close if not already over the age RSC work on (71-72 year). So RSC may not have been an option anyway.

My repair bill was $691.00 and I have to pay for shipping back so it's a little more than that actually.
Old 1 April 2009, 02:25 AM   #21
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Mine makes the same noise and IT IS NORMAL. My watch is a Z serial and was recently seen by a watchmaker at the local AD.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2009, 03:10 AM   #22
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
Mine makes the same noise and IT IS NORMAL. My watch is a Z serial and was recently seen by a watchmaker at the local AD.
I assume you didn't read the entire thread. It's not normal, there was damage to my movement. When it sounds like BB's inside the watch movement it's not normal.
Old 1 April 2009, 10:49 AM   #23
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

When a watch is sent in to RSC for an overhaul, from what I have described, does it sound to be within the normal of items that would be covered in their standard overhaul price? I think their standard price is $600 correct?
A service from an RSC costs $555. That includes a bezel insert also
Old 1 April 2009, 11:22 AM   #24
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
I assume you didn't read the entire thread. It's not normal, there was damage to my movement. When it sounds like BB's inside the watch movement it's not normal.

Curious though have you had it fixed? If so what was wrong?

And for future reference neither my 1570 movement or 3186 movement make a noise.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2009, 12:32 PM   #25
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by postiff View Post
Curious though have you had it fixed? If so what was wrong?

And for future reference neither my 1570 movement or 3186 movement make a noise.
Chris posted the damage report on the previous page. Here's his quote:

"It needs a new tube and crown, new rotor axle, and several gears. In addition to a complete overhaul/service. There were metal shavings everywhere. The pinging I started hearing was indeed the Rotor hitting the caseback and movement. The repair cost was a little more than I expected, but it's getting fixed. Hopefully I'll have it back in a few weeks. "
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2009, 02:30 AM   #26
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Update: I should have it back tomorrow (Unless I miss the FedEx truck). I'll post some pic's if it's worthy

Thanks to all for the response on the issue. I am glad I sent it in, otherwise I may have caused more damage.
Old 15 April 2009, 03:33 AM   #27
goduke1
"TRF" Member

It's back and it looks pretty good for a 37 year old watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0013.1.jpg (58.7 KB, 1546 views)
Old 15 April 2009, 03:55 AM   #28
rcher

Watch: Air King
Beautiful!!
rcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2009, 11:31 PM   #29
mspag
"TRF" Member

The watch looks great, is it keeping accurate time?
mspag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 12:36 AM   #30
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspag View Post
The watch looks great, is it keeping accurate time?
I've only had it back a few days, and so far it's prett good. It was running 1 min fast per day before, and it's far less than that now. I have been wearing it since Tuesday, and it's not lost or gained more than a few seconds maybe. So that's alot better than before.