The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 April 2009, 12:52 AM   #31
mspag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduke1 View Post
I've only had it back a few days, and so far it's prett good. It was running 1 min fast per day before, and it's far less than that now. I have been wearing it since Tuesday, and it's not lost or gained more than a few seconds maybe. So that's alot better than before.
Sounds like it is running just like a new watch. That is what I like about these watches, with a good service an old watch will run just like new!!
mspag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2009, 01:07 AM   #32
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Great looking watch Chris..
I love that dial, one of the all time classics..

With the new overhaul, it's ready for many more long years of enjoyment and excellent time-keeping.. glad that we were able to help you out ....
Old 22 April 2009, 02:46 AM   #33
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Chris, Beautiful classic watch. I am glad that you have it all squared away now.
Old 22 April 2009, 06:32 AM   #34
valenciajewelers

For the record the Seiko Kinetics make noise because the gears from the Oscillating weight and the gear train that connects to the kinetic rotor are "straight-cut gears." Much like the effect you get from Standard shift/Manual transmission cars when you are in reverse.

More simply put, "gear-whine."
valenciajewelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2009, 11:19 PM   #35
hwilsdorf

I agree it looks like new! Im sure you will be getting another thirty enjoyable years from your freshly serviced air-king!
hwilsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2009, 12:18 AM   #36
airhkg

Watch: Sub, SMP GMT Co-Ax
Hmm curious about the $600USD overhaul cost? Is that a flat rate or is the cost based on what they have to replace on your watch? My friend took his Air King to the RSC in the Jardine House, Central, Hong Kong and paid about $150USD. His watch is a daily wearer but, is well cared for. No crystal replacement or anything like that.
airhkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2009, 12:25 AM   #37
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Beautiful Watch.
I had the same problem (or actually having the same problem) with my GMT II.
Its getting serviced right now, but I sent it in a little too late there was damage inside and some parts need to be replaced...

Rolex charges 550-600 for the overhaul you can get independent dealers that do it anywhere from 150-300.
rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2009, 01:18 AM   #38
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhkg View Post
Hmm curious about the $600USD overhaul cost? Is that a flat rate or is the cost based on what they have to replace on your watch? My friend took his Air King to the RSC in the Jardine House, Central, Hong Kong and paid about $150USD. His watch is a daily wearer but, is well cared for. No crystal replacement or anything like that.
His flat rate for an overhaul is $395. The rest was for additional parts and shipping. I think his $395 is for an overhaul/cleaning with zero parts to be replaced (except the plastic crystal and gaskets, he replaces those). Any parts that are needed are extra.

While a RSC, will replace some parts at no extra charge, but their standard fee is also higher. So it's tit for tat. I am not sure what it would have cost me at a RSC. The turn around time at QualityTyme was a lot faster I believe.
Old 27 November 2010, 12:52 AM   #39
vithia
"TRF" Member

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dropped my Oyster while i was cleaning it... now it had a grinding sound when i spin it..
vithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 01:06 AM   #40
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Watch looks fantastic if it was brand new, never mind 37 years old!

One thing that should have highlighted there was a problem though. . . . If it was gaining 1 minute per day then that in its self would be enough for me to get it looked at.
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 01:17 AM   #41
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Quote:
Originally Posted by vithia View Post
Dropped my Oyster while i was cleaning it... now it had a grinding sound when i spin it..
Sounds like a rotor problem. You should have it looked at ASAP.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 12:09 PM   #42
otree-1
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Submariner
Noise in Submariner

I have a G serial Submariner and is about 2 years old. I was just on the comput er and put my left hand up to my head and heard something. Thought it was the bracelet but after holding the bracelet and do it again, I heard the sound. Do you think it is possible that I need a service in just this short amount of time?
otree-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 08:51 AM   #43
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
All part of the beauty and privilege of owning a Rolex..........let's face it it guys, if it was just down to needing something to tell the time, we could all get something a lot cheaper and more reliable..........but then it would not be a Rolex!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 10:25 AM   #44
RollieVerde
Banned

Looks superb

That Air-King looks familiar. Probably because I just got my father's 35 year-old one back from service in NYC, where they did a full overhaul, replaced the bracelet (the original was with another family member) and graced me with the requisite leather pouch and 2-year warranty. Runs beautifully. Such a classic design we have, don't you agree? I'm glad yours also got the the TLC it deserved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air-King.jpg (159.5 KB, 267 views)
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 07:24 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otree-1 View Post
I have a G serial Submariner and is about 2 years old. I was just on the comput er and put my left hand up to my head and heard something. Thought it was the bracelet but after holding the bracelet and do it again, I heard the sound. Do you think it is possible that I need a service in just this short amount of time?
Short answer no.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:23 AM   #46
Vmann
"TRF" Member

Dayton sound when shaking it

I too can hear this sound when shaking my brand new Daytona. That's why I'm here. I don't think it means it's broken
Vmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2019, 06:55 AM   #47
Swede71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II, BB41,
Same here, my DJ2 from 2013 just had first service by Rolex watchmaker. The sound was there before the service and is still there after the full service. I actually mentioned this to the watchmaker when leaving the watch for service. I was told don’t to worry, it’s normal to hear rotor sounds intensify through the case.
Swede71 is offline   Reply With Quote