The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What Should I Do? No Dinan -or- Dinan?
Nope: 600hp, 516 lb-ft of torque and 0-62 mph in 3.9 seconds is Good. 41 41.41%
YES: Go Stage 1 10 10.10%
Yes: Go Stage 2 48 48.48%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 January 2020, 11:16 AM   #31
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Would an upgrade alter any existing warranty?
Old 23 January 2020, 11:22 AM   #32
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I guess I would look at it from the perspective of whether you’re already maxing out what you’ve got ?

Do you track it or race it ?

It’s not like you have autobahns over there for top end speed either.

If you can make use of the extra juice then go for it - but just think if it’s for show or for go.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:24 PM   #33
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
U sure on that? I thought that changed. The BMW warranttee part

Dinan provides a parallel warranty to the BMW factory warranty. If you have a warranty issue - the factory warranty isn’t voided - although if the Dinan part etc, is determined to have caused the failure, etc that is when the parallel warranty that Dinan provides kicks in.

That’s what has always sold me on Dinan — that and it’s usually installed at the dealership - or can be most times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:53 PM   #34
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Do it. No such thing as too much power. Just do some before/after dyno runs as well as 0-60 times. Ask the company you go with to offer you money back if things go backwards. And I have seen them go backwards if the tuner is ordinary or if the mods are counter productive to factory settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I got a hundred bucks that says you can't even get the most out of the HP you have now...
Take is easy Schumi.
Not everyone is a pro like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I have a Porsche Turbo S and increased the horsepower by about 150 HP; no regrets, I just don’t drive in the winter.
Should be fine for the most part, AWD goodness.
Old 23 January 2020, 03:32 PM   #35
Framelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Do it. I also agree that there are better tunes out there than Dinan but there is BMW factory support for Dinan so there are benefits like that. I have a n55 E82 135i with full bolt ons, 18 psi tune, MHD back end flash. Very aggressive tune.
Framelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:37 PM   #36
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framelock View Post
Do it. I also agree that there are better tunes out there than Dinan but there is BMW factory support for Dinan so there are benefits like that. I have a n55 E82 135i with full bolt ons, 18 psi tune, MHD back end flash. Very aggressive tune.

Agreed, definitely more aggressive options - It was that factory support is what did it for me with Dinan, as I am an OEM guy at heart.

Old 23 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #37
77T

I think you have some more pricing work ahead - but neither package is really necessary to get more fun from the car.

Take it to the track, invest in HPDE experience and you’ll still have a better driving experience.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:58 PM   #38
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framelock View Post
That’s a lot of psi for a n55! I ran 13psi peak in my n54 335. I believe stock peak is 7

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:39 PM   #39
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
If it messes with the warranty I say no. If you're in the clear with the aforementioned, go for it! You only live once.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #40
Brew
"TRF" Member

No way I would do this without knowing to an absolute certainty the impact on BMW's warranty.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #41
Framelock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
That’s a lot of psi for a n55! I ran 13psi peak in my n54 335. I believe stock peak is 7

It is quite a lot lol. I just took the car on a 4000 mile road trip. Great fun. 18-20psi is the top for N55 without serious cooling mods and internals. I have VRSF intercooler core, inlets, outlets, and oil cooler to keep the detonation at bay for now haha. Some would argue too much! Beauty of the N54 is those factory forged internals.

Old 24 January 2020, 12:38 AM   #42
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think you have some more pricing work ahead - but neither package is really necessary to get more fun from the car.

Take it to the track, invest in HPDE experience and you’ll still have a better driving experience.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1

Forgo the upgrade for now and pay for some track time.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:05 AM   #43
RHIII

I can’t wait to get the g80....but I’m hearing ‘rumors’ there may be a CSL version of the g82....

Had the opportunity to drive an e46 CSL ehh I lived in Bavaria — so cool. Would love to see that make it to the US.

Old 24 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #44
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got a hundred bucks that says you can't even get the most out of the HP you have now...
This is exactly my issue.
MY first BMW, which I still have is my 2010 328i coupe. I opted for that over the M3 because I thought I would only use the HP from starts and then after that it would be the same as my 328i.

I was wrong. My 2016 M3 is a whole different car, and a blast to drive everyday.
This whole conversation is making me think that once I buy my next BMW, probably a 540 of some type, I may do the Dinan thing as well as I plan on keeping my M for many many years to come.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:23 AM   #45
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
21psi on N55 435i here and she has 704 suspension and all the stock M bits. Added 240% larger ic, 30% larger turbo, DV+, ER CP & TIC, M LSD, Fabspeed cat DP, Mich PS4S, etc. Test drove the then new 2017 M4 and hated it, crap steering feel, car was trying too hard to FEEL fast instead of actually being fast, etc. The N55 with 8AT is a solid package

100000% agree about seat time and driving coach at track!!!! LEARN vehicle dynamics, study the books, get a driving coach. My previous toy was a Formula 2000, earned SCCA Drivers Champ in 2008. Before that tracked a now-vintage Italian red car, but tooo slow compared to the F2K

OP, stand by my Dinan Stage 2 and Fabspeed cat dp. Those two will be good enough for sanity imho. Intake and exhaust on your car are good enough unless you want crazy power and that also means you need bigger turbos and IC too. As the saying goes, how fast do you want to afford to go?

PS: And pretty please, the car should run out of 'driving talent' before you do.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:21 AM   #46
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Is it booked? When’s the big day?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:48 AM   #47
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

I've modded every vehicle I've had over the last 20 years, so of course I say go for it. I researched M Mods quite a bit a few years ago, when I thought I was going to make the switch from AMG.

I voted for Stage 1, only because there's very little gain with Stage 2, but then you have to add exhaust & the intake. Based on the inclusion of prices, I assume it is a factor. IF you're happy to be in the $9-10k area, then Stage 2 makes sense. If going the exhaust route, I'd definitely go with the OEM competition exhaust; it's a great value for a full Akrapovik titanium system & far better than the Dinan.

If you aren't over there, I recommend checking out the M6 forums at https://www.6post.com/forums/index.php Also, for mods, the M5 forums there are a great resource, as the M5 is so much more common, but shares the same engine/drivetrain.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #48
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
If going the exhaust route, I'd definitely go with the OEM competition exhaust; it's a great value for a full Akrapovik titanium system & far better than the Dinan.

If you aren't over there, I recommend checking out the M6 forums at https://www.6post.com/forums/index.php Also, for mods, the M5 forums there are a great resource, as the M5 is so much more common, but shares the same engine/drivetrain.
I just glanced at the forum classifieds: (assuming you have a coupe) great deal on the factory Akrapovic here: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686606 (Disclaimer, not mine, no relationship with the seller, etc.)
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:13 AM   #49
mnmallen
"TRF" Member

Doesn't matter how much power you have you get used to it and it eventually becomes the norm. Time invested in using it well in a range of conditions will ultimately be more rewarding. Or do both ...
mnmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:24 AM   #50
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
I would totally take that bet. I get a stage two on my Mercedes C450. It was totally worth it. I have 25% more horsepower.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:00 AM   #51
Framelock
"TRF" Member

Should I Boost the hp of my BMW M6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
21psi on N55 435i here and she has 704 suspension and all the stock M bits. Added 240% larger ic, 30% larger turbo, DV+, ER CP & TIC, M LSD, Fabspeed cat DP, Mich PS4S, etc. Test drove the then new 2017 M4 and hated it, crap steering feel, car was trying too hard to FEEL fast instead of actually being fast, etc. The N55 with 8AT is a solid package

100000% agree about seat time and driving coach at track!!!! LEARN vehicle dynamics, study the books, get a driving coach. My previous toy was a Formula 2000, earned SCCA Drivers Champ in 2008. Before that tracked a now-vintage Italian red car, but tooo slow compared to the F2K

OP, stand by my Dinan Stage 2 and Fabspeed cat dp. Those two will be good enough for sanity imho. Intake and exhaust on your car are good enough unless you want crazy power and that also means you need bigger turbos and IC too. As the saying goes, how fast do you want to afford to go?

PS: And pretty please, the car should run out of 'driving talent' before you do.

Excellent build on your 435i. I am still on stock turbo in my N55 135i. The ZF 8 speed is also an amazing trans. I am coming from strictly traditional manuals prior to my 135 but went with the 7speed DCT M sport trim for this particular car. Theres nothing like hearing the burbles and shotgun cracks from the exhaust when I let off or shift at WOT. Michellin PS4S also an excellent tire choice. Thats what I ran on my road trip in the E82

Old 24 January 2020, 11:16 AM   #52
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
...call Mo at DME tuning. Great tune AND customer service.
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:16 PM   #53
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
After the other motor issues you had there is no way in hell I would boost it more. That is unless I had cash to throw away.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:08 PM   #54
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Looks good.

Do you have a dyno run with AFR's i can have a look at?

E

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:29 PM   #55
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Here we go! I'm considering adding a Performance Tune to my car. I really like the power and control I have now but wonder if more is better?

What Say You?

Stage 1 (DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner ONLY) Maximum Power on Competition Package equipped F06/12/13 M6's:

695 HP, 644 lb-ft of torque. Cost: $2,199.95

Stage 2 (DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner in conjunction with Dinan Intake and Exhaust) Maximum Power on Competition Package equipped F12/13 M6's:

708 HP, 651 lb-ft of torque. Cost: $2,299.95

Products - Dinan, Leader in BMW Performance Parts and Upgrades

https://www.dinancars.com/products/?...bodytype=Coupe

More is always better. You know that!

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 04:30 PM   #56
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Hi Larry , I voted leave it as it is unless you are thinking of taking on the track. It’s got more than enough power to get you in trouble on the road already
Old 24 January 2020, 05:10 PM   #57
Andad

Watch: A few.
I have been modifying performance cars and bikes for 40+ years.

After checking out the specks on this BMW I don’t think a performance upgrade would improve the ‘package’ and could just cause issues.

It’s ‘off the shelf’ performance is an 11/10 stock.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:01 PM   #58
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Looks good.
Do you have a dyno run with AFR's i can have a look at?
Only one, and the guy messed it up because he took the loud pedal ALL THE WAY in, when that forces downshift so the dyno runs were ^&%$. My bad too, car was new to me after all the mods so i blew it too (mod, minus ER cat DP, added that later).

Basically, 450HP and 425TQ. From best i can tell with the messed up runs, she runs like what Dinan posts on their site, basically. The car here does not MPPK. Yet, for me, it is about USABLE power and controlled driveability too. This is the prob why i've not overly loved other guy's cars with BM3/etc tunes. Sure BM3/PURE/etc can be fast, yet is it controllable and driveable. JMHO of course. And yeah, i wtd to keep the CPO warranty too so she is what she is. 435i and Dinan bits were part of a trade deal for the POS expensive, and nowadays widely-known factory engineered defected-laden (POS POS POS) Bentley GTC.

PS: One thing i feel i need to mention is, those cheap ICs you see on eBay, seems NONE of them ever do a FLOW TEST. What that means is, the pressure incoming and the pressure outgoing, what loss may there be during the air transition. Cheap ICs seem to 'block / lose' more pressure along the way whereas Dinan did great at keeping flow rates. So if you buy a larger IC on eBay or elsewhere, insist on a bench flow test. Again, jmho.

Here's what Dinan posts for dyno and would have to agree and a 0 to 60mph run (before ER cat DP) on a closed road and you can see i quickly let off after 60 mph. As i recall, A2FR looked within sane parameters, not lean n mean. Frankly, don't take her out for runs as much as i like, daily biz work load, and now my goals of rebuilding my percussion / drum skillz, keeps me busy.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #59
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Larry, Any pics of piston rods going through the hood, yet?

Larry.

Larry!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:42 PM   #60
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
If you are racing sure, if not no and why? More horsepower if you are not racing and just commuting to work or wherever is useless.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote