The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 January 2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Seb9
"TRF" Member

Explorer paired with.. SubC Date or Hulk?

Hi TRF, first post here - but a long time lurker and obsessive..

I currently own a humble trio of an SKX007, a SARB017 and a Timex Marlin - but have spent the last year or so saving toward my first Rolex.

If you're anything like me, you spend a disproportionate amount of time fantasizing about your next purchase, and perhaps the one or two after that. I love the idea of crafting a well-rounded, small collection; a selection of pieces that work as a set that are in regular rotation. At the beginning of my watch journey I acquired a lot of pieces that stepped on each others toes a little too much or didn't get worn - and it taught me to be considered and thoughtful with each purchase to avoid redundancy.

In the coming years I would ideally like to add a 214270, DJ41 and a Sub variant into my collection. I think the Explorer would be a perfect everyday piece, and is just endlessly classic. A DJ41 with a Rhodium & Diamond Dial, Fluted Bezel and Jubilee would be a special piece for dressier occasions.

Where I'm coming a little unstuck is hypothesising over whether a 116610LN or LV would be more appropriate with this overall grouping or not.

The LN for me is 'the' Sub that I've lusted over since I was a boy, is versatile as hell - and an absolute dream, but could it work alongside the black dialled Explorer? Would these two pieces feel different enough to warrant both?

The other voice on my shoulder tells me that the Hulk would be the perfect accomplice for the Explorer, providing enough contrast in colour, use and occasion. It is also drop dead gorgeous, and I know I enjoy wearing green dialled watches given my time with the Alpinist. I can't help thinking though that the experience of owning an LN would always call to me, but does it feel as special as the LV?

I know that only I can ultimately make this decision, and that these purchases are still to occur: but indulge me. I would love to hear your hands on experience with this scenario, and which you think works better in your view.

SubC Date
Explorer
DJ41

vs

Hulk
Explorer
DJ41

I appreciate you all taking the time to read this, and look forward to your responses on the best way to craft a collection.

Cheers,

Seb
Seb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:49 PM   #2
greentimgreen
"TRF" Member

I’ve battled a similar scenario before, and it’s not quite as easy as “you have a black dial already so get a green dial”. The Explorer, which I also own, has a matte black dial and is very different aesthetically than the LN with its gloss black dial. They can Co-exist in a collection very well.

I’m on my second Hulk now, after parting ways with my first in 2018 and regretting it ever since. The Hulk, for me, is much more of an ‘occasion’ watch than the LN, and I like it for that. I had a no-date LN before it, but I found that a black sub is really quite commonplace in London where I work. The Hulk isn’t.

For me, differentiation won over versatility, especially in a collection of more than one watch. I would suggest, with an otherwise monochrome collection, you might feel the same way. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greentimgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb9 View Post

SubC Date
Explorer
DJ41

vs

Hulk
Explorer
DJ41
Firstly, Hulk is also SubC Date. That looks be primary difference between your two options.

IMO, Get Hulk but keep Datejust 41 in Black or gray dial.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 08:26 PM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Welcome!
I think the LV would give a nice addition of color and uniqueness while still giving you everything that the Sub LN offers.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 10:11 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that the Hulk is a special watch and checks a lot of boxes. Nothing wrong with the LN but I would go ND if that was the choice. The green is amazing and can be balanced with other watches in the collection. I recommend you get the Hulk, you will not be sorry.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 10:46 PM   #6
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Hulk! Adds a nice color to the collection
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 12:52 AM   #7
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I think the LV would be spot on!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 12:56 AM   #8
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I would make sure that you have seen a Hulk in the metal and that it sings to you. If so, I would say Hulk all the way. If you decide that you would rather go with a SubC, my suggestion would be for the 114060. It is more of the purist's watch and will complement the other pieces in your growing collection nicely.
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #9
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I’d agree with the others, given the ones you already have...I’d go with your option that includes the LV.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:13 AM   #10
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
This! If you can find one at retail that is :(
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:14 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think Rolex excels at sunburst dials so I would get the LVc and a blue or grey DJ41.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:40 AM   #12
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
It sounds like you already know you should get the LV. When you love green dials, you love them. As much as you like the LN, every time you admire it on your wrist or in the case, you'll also be wishing you'd gotten the LV.

Don't make yourself green with envy

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:53 AM   #13
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The LN for me is 'the' Sub that I've lusted over since I was a boy
Quote:
I can't help thinking though that the experience of owning an LN would always call to me
The heart wants the LN. Get the Sub first, then think about adding the Explorer.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:55 AM   #14
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
LV and Explorer compliment each other very nicely.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:48 PM   #15
Seb9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentimgreen View Post
I’ve battled a similar scenario before, and it’s not quite as easy as “you have a black dial already so get a green dial”. The Explorer, which I also own, has a matte black dial and is very different aesthetically than the LN with its gloss black dial. They can Co-exist in a collection very well.

I’m on my second Hulk now, after parting ways with my first in 2018 and regretting it ever since. The Hulk, for me, is much more of an ‘occasion’ watch than the LN, and I like it for that. I had a no-date LN before it, but I found that a black sub is really quite commonplace in London where I work. The Hulk isn’t.

For me, differentiation won over versatility, especially in a collection of more than one watch. I would suggest, with an otherwise monochrome collection, you might feel the same way. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the response.
I think thats an important factor to consider as you said - trying to find the balance between versatility/commonplace versus something a little more unique. May I have what you currently pair your Hulk with now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Welcome!
I think the LV would give a nice addition of color and uniqueness while still giving you everything that the Sub LN offers.
Thanks Travis, I agree with that! My only thought is whether two green watches in a small collection (Alpinist and Hulk) is overkill or not. Obviously very different pieces head-to-head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think that the Hulk is a special watch and checks a lot of boxes. Nothing wrong with the LN but I would go ND if that was the choice. The green is amazing and can be balanced with other watches in the collection. I recommend you get the Hulk, you will not be sorry.
Thanks for the reassurance there William. I have toyed with the idea of the ND, but feel it might be too similar to the Explorer. Definitely leaning toward the Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
I would make sure that you have seen a Hulk in the metal and that it sings to you. If so, I would say Hulk all the way. If you decide that you would rather go with a SubC, my suggestion would be for the 114060. It is more of the purist's watch and will complement the other pieces in your growing collection nicely.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Seeing the Hulk in the metal may be a challenge in the current market, but it certainly helps with the various Youtube videos, and 'Incoming' threads on here. I think for me to consider the 114060, I'd have to pass on the Explorer - thoughts? Two no date, black dial pieces..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think Rolex excels at sunburst dials so I would get the LVc and a blue or grey DJ41.
I completely agree - addictive to look at in different light. The particular green on the LV looks so alluring. Thanks for the assurance on the Grey DJ41 as well - it will feel different enough for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
It sounds like you already know you should get the LV. When you love green dials, you love them. As much as you like the LN, every time you admire it on your wrist or in the case, you'll also be wishing you'd gotten the LV.

Don't make yourself green with envy
Haha, thats right!! I think I'm in the position where I may yearn for the opposite of what I get - but two Subs with just a colour different may be a bit too redundant for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDixon View Post
The heart wants the LN. Get the Sub first, then think about adding the Explorer.
You've hit right at the heart of it Mason.. It's so hard to be certain, but sometimes I wonder whether the LV is a crush, and the LN is the lifelong companion. It's so difficult to know without owning I guess! I definitely like this approach with getting the LN first, then seeing if I still desire the Explorer for something more understated/everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_kay View Post
LV and Explorer compliment each other very nicely.
Completely agree Jay Kay. I feel like they're my favourite pair in the Rolex lineup.
Seb9 is offline   Reply With Quote