The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 March 2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Icon1 The Unfortunate Truth about Vintage Rolex Repairs

”If you are paying attention to the numbers, it should be painfully obvious that the demand for Rolex parts far exceeds the demand (sic) [supply is the assumed word here]. Appropriately the prices are constantly rising. The situation for older Rolex parts is made even worse by the fact that NRJ watchmakers can no longer purchase parts for calibers 15xx from Rolex anymore. The supply of parts in the market will never be replenished.”

- Jordan P. Ficklin Jordan P. Ficklin, CW21 certified watchmaker

https://www.professionalwatches.com/...rolex-repairs/
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 04:02 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

I think this is well known on this forum (or sub forum rather).

My gut feel is we'll end up having alot more reliance on aftermarket parts over time. If Rolex refuses to supply those parts, someone else will provide them. There is too much demand otherwise.

What is obviously happening now is the number of donor watches being stripped out for the inventory box which has also driven up prices for what is typically an "entry" level Rolex.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

...carver crawls out of his 65 Mustang which doesn't have an original part on it and ambles into the forum;;;

I'm so impressed with the traditionalists who insist on using oil from 60 years ago when servicing vintage Rolex; Who needs 10 year service intervals?? Three years is plenty!

What? That's different? I see.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 12:39 AM   #4
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Thanks for sharing, very interesting read.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 12:48 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

This is true of virtually every vintage watch, but for some reason the hand-wringing seems to be confined to Rolex. Parts are always a challenge for vintage watches. Collectors and watchmakers accumulate parts over time, buy parts watches/movements, etc. That's part of the pastime. If that's not for you, and you want the manufacturer to service your watches indefinitely, stick to modern watches.
Old 3 March 2021, 12:30 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
...carver crawls out of his 65 Mustang which doesn't have an original part on it and ambles into the forum;;;

I'm so impressed with the traditionalists who insist on using oil from 60 years ago when servicing vintage Rolex; Who needs 10 year service intervals?? Three years is plenty!

I don't care what oil you use and they haven't changed oils in 30 years.

The only thing that has really changed is d-5 kind of went away and was replaced first by HP 1000 and that was too thin...and now HP-1300 the rest are the same basically. They went away from the black grease in the barrel to Tepa...but depending on the watch...that's not a great idea...as a friend who worked at RLX once said...when I questioned him about Tepa..."sometimes the amplitude is TOO FUCKING HIGH!" which was the same issue I had experienced. His remedy was the same as mine...go back to the black grease.

I don't care what you use...they dry out and they lose performance. 10 years...it's gonna be running like shit on the machine..it'll be running and wearing out...but it'll run. The gaskets are the same..and they dry out JUST the same...nothing has changed.

6 years max IF you want to maintain the watch properly.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 12:35 PM   #7
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

You're dealing with a 30-70 year old watch..in vintage. You're NOT going to be able to make that into brand new forever. Do you like it? Does the quality and appearance make you nostalgic and happy? Get over it. When it is serviced...does it run well enough? Does it function well? It winds itself and keeps good time on the wrist? Things wear...it's a machine. Does that mean it's beyond use? No...it doesn't really. If that were the case, then EVERY TIME the watch was serviced...you'd replace everything in it...because...there is SOME wear always. It's being too critical after a point imho.
Old 3 March 2021, 12:43 PM   #8
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
You're dealing with a 30-70 year old watch..in vintage. You're NOT going to be able to make that into brand new forever. Do you like it? Does the quality and appearance make you nostalgic and happy? Get over it. When it is serviced...does it run well enough? Does it function well? It winds itself and keeps good time on the wrist? Things wear...it's a machine. Does that mean it's beyond use? No...it doesn't really. If that were the case, then EVERY TIME the watch was serviced...you'd replace everything in it...because...there is SOME wear always. It's being too critical after a point imho.
this.
I mean, over the next few decades some of these original 50's and 60's metal parts and lacquered dials are just going to disintegrate.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 12:43 PM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post

I restored 30 65-66 Mustangs in my time...a few ground up...a few where I sought body panels with matching date stamps...to the original....and other crazed....fanaticism...I can still build one out of parts in the floor with no manuals...I know where every bolt goes and I can probably still wire one without a wiring diagram.
The last one I did...was the last one...
It took about 20 seconds in a rear end collision where I was struck at a dead stop waiting for a left turn, by a 98 Silverado doing 75 mph...who never put on the brakes...to make it gone. It was a 99 point concours car...one of 5776 65 deluxe interior 2+2's...made BEFORE the debut of the Deluxe Interior in April 65 on March 19. To make it rarer...it was a 4BBL 4Speed car. So you can cut that production down to less than 2000 cars....gone in 20 seconds...I'm lucky to be alive...but taught me about minutia...I didn't enjoy the car. You couldn't drive it without worrying about it the entire time.

I had friend here...a mechanic...we both looked at a 66 GT Fastback with deluxe interior...it had had a bad quarter panel replacement and some rust in the back floors...typical..not major...leaking rear glass damp rugs. I went to his gas station one day and he was restoring the interior...I said Bobby...you aren't gonna paint the car and do the body work first. NOPE....I don't see that when I'm driving it...I'm gonna have a great running and driving car...with a nice fresh interior...and the outside...I don't care...then I don't have to worry about door dings and paint chips. :-)
Old 3 March 2021, 12:56 PM   #10
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
I restored 30 65-66 Mustangs in my time...a few ground up...a few where I sought body panels with matching date stamps...to the original....and other crazed....fanaticism...I can still build one out of parts in the floor with no manuals...I know where every bolt goes and I can probably still wire one without a wiring diagram.
It took about 20 seconds in a rear end collision where I was struck at a dead stop waiting for a left turn, by a 98 Silverado doing 75 mph...who never put on the brakes...to make it gone. It was a 99 point concours car...one of 5776 65 deluxe interior 2+2's...made BEFORE the debut of the Deluxe Interior in April 65 on March 19. To make it rarer...it was a 4BBL 4Speed car. So you can cut that production down to less than 2000 cars....gone in 20 seconds...I'm lucky to be alive...but taught me about minutia...I didn't enjoy the car. You couldn't drive it without worrying about it the entire time.

I had friend here...a mechanic...we both looked at a 66 GT Fastback with deluxe interior...it had had a bad quarter panel replacement and some rust in the back floors...typical..not major...leaking rear glass damp rugs. I went to his gas station one day and he was restoring the interior...I said Bobby...you aren't gonna paint the car and do the body work first. NOPE....I don't see that when I'm driving it...I'm gonna have a great running and driving car...with a nice fresh interior...and the outside...I don't care...then I don't have to worry about door dings and paint chips. :-)

hmm, soooo what would you do about getting more hp and torque out of a 73 bronco 302?
total rebuild, swap in an old 351, or a new stroker ?
Old 3 March 2021, 02:46 PM   #11
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Haha
So my summer car is a manual 1990 mustang LX convertible 5.0. It has its original paint on the entire car (except the back bumper). It’s faded and kind of dull looking. I wax it and it looks great, probably only to me. I just enjoy the originality, but the thing is scratched up, leaks oil, leaks water. I love it. My Rolexes are similar and I enjoy them. I have them pressure tested but I wear them and abuse them every chance I get.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:55 PM   #12
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
this.
I mean, over the next few decades some of these original 50's and 60's metal parts and lacquered dials are just going to disintegrate.

That’s a little extreme. Will they continue to age? Yes...but so does everything. I doubt they will spontaneously combust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:55 PM   #13
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yet another chapter in the fascinating life of Tommy Taylor! So glad you survived! Restoring a beautiful 80 year old Rolex may not have the excitement of flying down the street in a freshly rebuilt Mustang 289 convertible but it will not kill you!

So good to see you posting Tommy, give us what time you can!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 03:16 PM   #14
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
That’s a little extreme. Will they continue to age? Yes...but so does everything. I doubt they will spontaneously combust.

right they won't spontaneously implode, but I bet they'll fall into disrepair eventually... there aren't too many 90 year old daily wearers around now.
Old 3 March 2021, 05:50 PM   #15
1watch
"TRF" Member

The Unfortunate Truth about Vintage Rolex Repairs

Quote:
right they won't spontaneously implode, but I bet they'll fall into disrepair eventually... there aren't too many 90 year old daily wearers around now.

I think some level of servicing will keep them functional. I have two from the ‘50’s that I wear without concern that they will remain viable to wear for decades to come. I think there aren’t many 90 year old dailies based on the style and size of those pieces from the turn of pocket to wristwatch era. I don’t doubt they could still be worn and enjoyed though.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 07:11 PM   #16
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

That is the general rule with collectables when they are discontinued from production and support which is a factor for increased maintenance costs and ultimately value. There is no shortage of collectors out there that will have the means or the know how to care for their pieces. Interestingly, Patek Philippe is one company that will retool to manufacture parts for any of their watches.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 07:24 PM   #17
1675-David
"TRF" Member

It's not rocket science making parts for a mechanical watch movement if your aim is to keep it ticking.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 10:03 PM   #18
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
My watchmaker thinks that soon enough there will be 3rd party parts manufacturers that would be able to make anything you need.
With the all the 3D printing and the demand of cheaper parts, the void should be filled by independents.

I tend to agree. There are already guys making domed plexi glass for old Sub....it does not happen overnight but it does.

Rolex and all brands who are trying to restrict access to parts are gonna loose the control eventually. The only reason why they are doing it is for us to pay the 1k usd service fee at their service centres.
In reality, any decent watchmaker can service a Rolex if given access to parts.....for about 30-40% of official service center pricing.
Old 4 March 2021, 12:51 AM   #19
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
Interplay of cars and watches.

I find this thread of interest. Commonality of those that like vintage (anything) appreciate the item for what it is and don't require that it look, perform the same as it did when brand new.

Like RWT and others, I'm a car guy. Hence my handle referring to my 1968 Corvette Convertible 327 4 speed. It's far from perfect. A "driver". Car was repainted in the 1980's and looks it. But, I love it. Mechanically, it's strong, puts a smile on my face. A bit stouter than the stock 350HP engine so it hauls out quite nicely for a 52 year old car. I bought it in 1999.

Ironically, I'm often wearing a 1969 era 6694 Oysterdate when driving it. Service replacement hands, dial, datewheel etc. I acquired this around 2015 fully rebuilt....by.....RWT. Originally for a lady business friend who wanted a Rolex. This was the low end, but she didn't like the handwinding. So, I bought it back and acquired (also from RWT) a very nice 1967 era TT 1600 for her. And a business friendship, became a personal friendship and now...we are engaged.

Sorry for the long story, but vintage watches, vintage cars can overlap very nicely. I don't worry about a door chip on the Corvette nor a scuff on the 6694. But both need regular maintenance and the 6694 is just about due for that.

Shout out to Tommy for playing a role in all of this!
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:57 AM   #20
adrew488
"TRF" Member

Great read. Thank you to the OP for sharing.
adrew488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 03:11 AM   #21
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hmm, soooo what would you do about getting more hp and torque out of a 73 bronco 302?
Screw it! 427 side oiler with blower! I'm done with concours.
Old 4 March 2021, 03:21 AM   #22
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
That is the general rule with collectables when they are discontinued from production and support which is a factor for increased maintenance costs and ultimately value. There is no shortage of collectors out there that will have the means or the know how to care for their pieces. Interestingly, Patek Philippe is one company that will retool to manufacture parts for any of their watches.
Priced Patek service lately?
Old 4 March 2021, 03:24 AM   #23
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You know I started here with Bubblebacks...I met the guy who was the go to guy in the USA for servicing them...He taught me.

I wore a 3133 every single day for 10 years...and if I didn't have TWENTY watches ... I still would and it would run INDEFINITELY with maintenance probably with NO parts.
Old 4 March 2021, 03:44 AM   #24
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
Screw it! 427 side oiler with blower! I'm done with concours.
Old 8 March 2021, 03:29 PM   #25
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Throw a 4BT into it.

Quote:
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 03:40 PM   #26
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
Throw a 4BT into it.
I followed a build thread with a similar diesel swap...5 years later the guy is almost finished.

Tags
collectable , servicing