The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 18 June 2019, 07:34 PM   #61
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuber View Post
This is something I have not considered. Good point. I would like to avoid such case.
I will reply to RSC once again with that question.

I need some time to think about it. Should I go with replacing necessary parts with an independent watchmaker or should I get in contact with Watchfinder.

The most important for me is to have the genuine watch, without any modifications. If RSC will service the watch with replaced parts I would be happy with that, if not, I am returning it to Watchfinder.
Hi OP.

I hope that you get a positive answer from the RSC. It would be nice to see your lv back the way it is supposed to be. Good luck.
Old 18 June 2019, 09:56 PM   #62
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

that serial number is just... would Rolex ever made a serial just full of 8s ????

plus on the picture you provided, the watch is covering the rest of the serial, you see the first 8s , the 3 digit definitely IS NOT an 8, you can tell how the punctures starts that the 3 digit isn't an 8.
If i was a seller, and showed you the sticker with the serial, the hand tag with the serial, why not show you the warranty with the serial, why covering this ?
something doesn't add up , this is probably not a legit full set ...
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:30 PM   #63
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If you read the thread Sherlock, this has been explained.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:41 PM   #64
zuber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I asked RSC if I get the original parts and have it replaced by an independent watchmaker would you service the watch once it is back to the factory specification?
And I asked about blacklisting the watch since it is "heavily modified"

here is the response from RSC:

"Yes, we would certainly service the watch in the future if it were to be received again with the correct dial, insert and hands fitted."

In that case I will try to get the original parts and have it replaced by an independent watchmaker.
I contacted ViperB, he has the hands. The insert I am looking at is on ebay, with 100% positive seller.
What do you think? It the insert ok? Original?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-SUB...IAAOSwr8Fc7A73

The maxi dial, I am afraid, will be really hard to find, but I will keep searching for it.
zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:32 PM   #65
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I asked RSC if I get the original parts and have it replaced by an independent watchmaker would you service the watch once it is back to the factory specification?

"Yes, we would certainly service the watch in the future if it were to be received again with the correct dial, insert and hands fitted."

In that case I will try to get the original parts and have it replaced by an independent watchmaker.
I contacted ViperB, he has the hands. The insert I am looking at is on ebay, with 100% positive seller.

The maxi dial, I am afraid, will be really hard to find, but I will keep searching for it.

That's great news from the RSC regarding the future servicing of your LV. Good luck in your hunt for the parts that you require.

You could put an ad in the want to buy section of the classifieds here on the forum.
Old 19 June 2019, 01:17 AM   #66
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Better wait until you find that rare maxi dial? Without that you're still on the starting line. And its likely to be the most costly part, even if you can find one. How long do you have to return the watch to watchfinder for a refund?
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:27 AM   #67
Johny
"TRF" Member

Hi OP.

A damaged maxi dial would let you get a new one at the RSC.
Old 19 June 2019, 04:38 AM   #68
zuber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi OP.

I hope that you get a positive answer from the RSC. It would be nice to see your lv back the way it is supposed to be. Good luck.
Thank you and everyone here. You are really helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Better wait until you find that rare maxi dial? Without that you're still on the starting line. And its likely to be the most costly part, even if you can find one. How long do you have to return the watch to watchfinder for a refund?
I know it may be hard to find maxi dial. Should I search for 16610LV dial or just maxi dial?

Watchfinder gives 14 days to return. Unfortunately that period is over now in my case.
Old 19 June 2019, 04:44 AM   #69
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:

Watchfinder gives 14 days to return. Unfortunately that period is over now in my case.
I think you made a bad decision (greed) - You lost your chance to return to watchfinder.
If you tamper with the watch - the you lose all chance to return.

The chance of you finding all good genuine parts and getting them fitted correctly are - well a long shot.

In my opinion a poor decision - you should buy what you want and not endeavour to modify watches,

Just my 2 cents
Old 19 June 2019, 04:57 AM   #70
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I know it may be hard to find maxi dial. Should I search for 16610LV dial or just maxi dial?

I’m no lawyer but I’m reasonably confident that from a legal standpoint they’re on shaky ground selling you a frankenwatch, should you choose to pursue this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchfinder
Everything we have listed has been fully authenticated by our team of experts, with any ambiguities clarified by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer has a lost and stolen record, the watches are checked against it to make sure they have a clean history.
Their whole business model is predicated on them giving the consumer peace of mind so I imagine if you kicked up a minor fuss you’d get your money back. Whether you want to is another matter of course.
Old 19 June 2019, 05:03 AM   #71
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:

16610lv dial. They do come up for sale, you’ll get one tomorrow if you want to pay top money. There’s a dial and hand set on chrono24 for around €1400, private seller though unfortunately.
antrolexsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 06:50 AM   #72
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrolexsub View Post
16610lv dial. They do come up for sale, you’ll get one tomorrow if you want to pay top money. There’s a dial and hand set on chrono24 for around €1400, private seller though unfortunately.
If thats the guy in Italy I'd be extremely cautious. Doesn't even look like a maxi dial to me. The true maxidial offerings are in the $4500-6000 range.
Old 19 June 2019, 07:03 AM   #73
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If thats the guy in Italy I'd be extremely cautious. Doesn't even look like a maxi dial to me. The true maxidial offerings are in the $4500-6000 range.
Yep that’s the one. The dial is fine. It’s a Mk 3 maxi dial. Correct for a late D serial LV.

Mark 1 dials are the only dials that fetch anywhere close to that sort of money. Those blistered service dials will be sitting unsold for a very long time at that price.
Old 19 June 2019, 07:24 AM   #74
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do apologise, ignore my post above. Just had a look on the computer, you’re right it’s an LN dial.
Old 19 June 2019, 07:26 AM   #75
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Ignore my post above. Just had a look on the computer, you’re right it’s an LN dial.
KUDOS to you
Old 19 June 2019, 07:30 AM   #76
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
KUDOS to you
I think it’s time to get my eyes tested again
Old 19 June 2019, 07:59 AM   #77
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Would a 116610 dial not do the job? Must be the same thing...
Old 19 June 2019, 08:02 AM   #78
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Would a 116610 dial not do the job? Must be the same thing...
No, different font layouts and Chromalight lume rather than Super Luminova.
Old 19 June 2019, 08:09 AM   #79
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, different font layouts and Chromalight lume rather than Super Luminova.
Yes, of course.. silly me.
Old 19 June 2019, 08:28 AM   #80
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately I think the OP screwed the pooch if he thought he's be getting a Kermit on the cheap. I'd be phoning the head of sales at Watchfinder and expressing my dismay at discovering that I received a franken watch.
Old 19 June 2019, 10:23 AM   #81
Johny
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=zuber;9736868]Thank you and everyone here. You are really helpful

Your welcome.

As things currently stand you qualify to post in both the 16610lv thread and the modified rolex thread...
Old 1 July 2019, 12:42 AM   #82
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

So, I'm a little johnnycomelately to this thread, so I"m going to share my thoughts only for thought's sake. First, in my real job I do a certain type of special investigations, so my mind wanders into odd places... I am NOT trying to trash the OP, but there is a hole in all this. Trust but verify.

Op buys watch, picks up/makes/buys/acquires LV TAG (the ONLY part of this story that indicates LV) and now wants -not only parts help to convert- BUT LEGITIMACY for the conversion by this board! By linking this thread to his -later no doubt sales thread- he will be able to legitimize the old LN fraken to the new LV fraken (YES, still not really original) and use this forum to help his sale as WE all bought the story.

NOTICE no real or verifiable Rolex documentation to REALLY prove Rolex says this is/was an LV? Just a quote from a -maybe- email? C'mon, guys, really? OP needs us to back this up so he can build what he wants instead of paying 13k for a really minty LV like some of us (yes I was a sucker) did.

I'm sorry, based on what I read, the story is THIN... UNTIL we have REAL Rolex confirmation it was an LV. Otherwise, we are just teaching him how to get around. I can be wrong. and I invite the Op to REALLY prove Rolex says it's an LV. Have Rolex send you a real service quote after he sends the watch in and post that quote in a photo for us all to see. At least then the story gets more believable. and for what it's worth, even back in the day I don't know anyone who went from Kermit to black and went to the trouble to change the dial also! Bezel for kicks, sure, but dial too, weak story to me. And yes, I hope I am mistaken. Good luck to the OP on his quest.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 01:37 AM   #83
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgdaytona View Post
So, I'm a little johnnycomelately to this thread, so I"m going to share my thoughts only for thought's sake. First, in my real job I do a certain type of special investigations, so my mind wanders into odd places... I am NOT trying to trash the OP, but there is a hole in all this. Trust but verify.

Op buys watch, picks up/makes/buys/acquires LV TAG (the ONLY part of this story that indicates LV) and now wants -not only parts help to convert- BUT LEGITIMACY for the conversion by this board! By linking this thread to his -later no doubt sales thread- he will be able to legitimize the old LN fraken to the new LV fraken (YES, still not really original) and use this forum to help his sale as WE all bought the story.

NOTICE no real or verifiable Rolex documentation to REALLY prove Rolex says this is/was an LV? Just a quote from a -maybe- email? C'mon, guys, really? OP needs us to back this up so he can build what he wants instead of paying 13k for a really minty LV like some of us (yes I was a sucker) did.

I'm sorry, based on what I read, the story is THIN... UNTIL we have REAL Rolex confirmation it was an LV. Otherwise, we are just teaching him how to get around. I can be wrong. and I invite the Op to REALLY prove Rolex says it's an LV. Have Rolex send you a real service quote after he sends the watch in and post that quote in a photo for us all to see. At least then the story gets more believable. and for what it's worth, even back in the day I don't know anyone who went from Kermit to black and went to the trouble to change the dial also! Bezel for kicks, sure, but dial too, weak story to me. And yes, I hope I am mistaken. Good luck to the OP on his quest.

Doesn’t the serial no on the tag match the watch (which is what prompted his enquiring)

Only thing that makes no sense to me is the fact watchfinder would miss the fact it was an LV. And like you say, why would someone buy a rarer version of a watch and change it to a normal version. I can understand buying the black bezel and having both to change about, but changing the dial too?

If the story was BS, would OP have come up with the bit about Rolex not working on it though? Unlikely.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 03:32 AM   #84
zuber
"TRF" Member

I understand that some could have doubts in my story. Maybe I did not provide all necessary details. I have read a lot of suspicious stories here. I am new here, never had any Rolex before.

Therefore, have a look at the attached photos.

1. I sent the watch to Rolex, they sent me acknowledgement showing the watch as 16610.
2. Next I asked about green tag saying 16610LV (sent the photo of it)
3. Then I had email from them saying it has been converted from 16610LV to 16610.

So, you can see a confirmation from Rolex, that the watch is really 16610LV with changed bezel, hands and dial.

I hope that will clarify your doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
Only thing that makes no sense to me is the fact watchfinder would miss the fact it was an LV.
This is also surprising to me as well, but I have confirmation from Rolex that it is 16610LV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
And like you say, why would someone buy a rarer version of a watch and change it to a normal version. I can understand buying the black bezel and having both to change about, but changing the dial too?
This has been answered already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgdaytona View Post
By linking this thread to his -later no doubt sales thread- he will be able to legitimize the old LN fraken to the new LV fraken (YES, still not really original) and use this forum to help his sale as WE all bought the story.
I am not going to sell it. I want to keep it.
As I said, maybe I did not provide enough details, hopefully attached photos will clarify your concerns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex papers edit.jpg (255.7 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex email.jpg (132.5 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex estimate edit.jpg (199.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 1 July 2019, 11:26 PM   #85
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

With the Rolex paperwork, more of your story comes together, however, paperwork does not state LV, it says black bezel. You have merely an email that can easily be faked. However, I am not trying to insinuate, I was merely trying to gather more facts that are provable, why didn't Rolex say LV on their paperwork? You have a better case for believability now that I have read the docs because it leans me to accept that you are being truthful about your adventure here. But the only thing I see that says LV is the email. IF YOU ever do sell, and most of us do eventually, you will need more than a printed email, you will need something in writing from Rolex on Rolex letterhead. Sorry I am so critical, did not intend to come off harsh. I just find it hard to accept that at Rolex, I'm sure they looked up the serial number when the watch was received and couldn't just tell you it was or was not LV immediately. Back to bench? :)
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 07:15 PM   #86
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
I understand that some could have doubts in my story. Maybe I did not provide all necessary details. I have read a lot of suspicious stories here. I am new here, never had any Rolex before.

Therefore, have a look at the attached photos.

1. I sent the watch to Rolex, they sent me acknowledgement showing the watch as 16610.
2. Next I asked about green tag saying 16610LV (sent the photo of it)
3. Then I had email from them saying it has been converted from 16610LV to 16610.

So, you can see a confirmation from Rolex, that the watch is really 16610LV with changed bezel, hands and dial.

I hope that will clarify your doubts.

This is also surprising to me as well, but I have confirmation from Rolex that it is 16610LV.

This has been answered already.

I am not going to sell it. I want to keep it.
As I said, maybe I did not provide enough details, hopefully attached photos will clarify your concerns.
How are you getting in with this?

If you can find an original, (ideally damaged so cheap) dial and hands, have a watchmaker swap them out and send it to Rolex with the bezel off (say its lost), Rolex should then service the watch and give you a new service dial and replace the hands and bezel.

That will save you having to source a bezel (You'll get the new insert much cheaper from Rolex than elsewhere)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:56 PM   #87
zuber
"TRF" Member

There is a progress :) I bought the dial and hands yesterday. Parts should be with me next week.
I wish I knew about the bezel as I bought one earlier.

Now I am starting to looking for good watchmaker to replace the parts.
I have seen the thread about trusted watchmakers, but if you know about any good lets say in Nottingham's area, let me know.

Here is the follow up thread:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=684239
Old 4 September 2019, 01:13 PM   #88
onshow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, It says 16610 T. See the photo.

I called RSC in London today. I am going the send the watch over there next week.

If there is anyone from UK with 16610LV could you share what have you got on paper and on the green tag?
Zuber, interesting situation you have here. Do you have a photo of the serial number on the case on the other side between the lugs that you can share? This may help identify it better.
onshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 01:20 PM   #89
onshow
"TRF" Member

Also the number that is punched into your warranty paper doesnt match the number on the hang tag and i would say you are aware of this and thats why you tried covering it up with your watch yet you had no issues showing the number on the hang tag or the sticker on the front of the warranty papers so why cover the punched number on the warrant papers? Very strange.......

Id be happy to be proven wrong, just show us the 3rd number on the warranty papers that is punched.
Old 4 September 2019, 01:50 PM   #90
onshow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onshow View Post
Also the number that is punched into your warranty paper doesnt match the number on the hang tag and i would say you are aware of this and thats why you tried covering it up with your watch yet you had no issues showing the number on the hang tag or the sticker on the front of the warranty papers so why cover the punched number on the warrant papers? Very strange.......

Id be happy to be proven wrong, just show us the 3rd number on the warranty papers that is punched.

Here are the photos you put up together, clearly the 3rd number you are covering up is a 6 which I have verified against punched papers I have. You can tell clearly it’s not an 8 as you are leading us to believe so it does NOT match the green hang tag that states LV.

Shame on you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk