The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Mappin and Webb new policy?

I recently purchased a new Rolex from Mappin and Webb, I was told that no longer are they able to all the end user to have the bezel protector and outer sleeve for green box. This is obviously in addition to the card and stickers.

I have purchase history with this AD and make a point of wearing my watches when I visit, however i was preached to about how much of a sin it is to sell a watch within 5 years, and if I did then I would be banned from purchasing from the group. I very nearly walked!!

What is this coming to when you spend north of 10k and are treated like sh1t.

I'll be using my other AD from now on, I small independent one. Last time I bought from them, which was last month I got everything bar stickers. They let me have the card and even some gifts, a tie and a few other bits.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
My question is why does the AD care? They make the same margin regardless, so why do they care? I understand somewhat with car manufacturers doing similar, like Ferrari, but it’s the manufacturer, not the dealer.
Old 18 June 2019, 08:18 PM   #3
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Mappin & Webb seem to make their own rules up as they go.
A very few months ago I bought a Rolex from them.
I got everything (but no gifts)
Anything short of that and I would not have purchased from them or any other shop that pulled that stunt on me.
It is NOT an edict from Rolex HQ
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
My question is why does the AD care? They make the same margin regardless, so why do they care? I understand somewhat with car manufacturers doing similar, like Ferrari, but it’s the manufacturer, not the dealer.
He said that Rolex dont like the resellers, and monitor the 2nd hand market to see where they are being supplied from. AD's who dont adhere to their policy risk losing their status.
Old 18 June 2019, 08:36 PM   #5
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

If they have the hot model you want and are able to buy at MSRP when outside of there is double at grey etc; you accept the conditions or go somewhere else (which may be nowhere). Not a big deal really
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:41 PM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

No offence, but almost anyone with a credit card can buy (and potentially flip) a 10k watch. It’s not exactly VVIP status. I’m not saying you should be disrespected, but you are owed no special treatment for spending money in their store either.

It’s easy to bash them on a forum because you know you are one of the good guys, but they don’t know that. Flippers are normal customers, not shady characters that can be spotted a mile off by their hat, sunglasses and trench coat.

It’s their business on the line if too many people flip their watches and it comes back to bite their arse so if a few feelings get hurt because they have to read the riot act to customers, so be it.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:48 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
He said that Rolex dont like the resellers, and monitor the 2nd hand market to see where they are being supplied from. AD's who dont adhere to their policy risk losing their status.
I prefer to work with an AD who trusts me.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:54 PM   #8
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
This somewhat makes sense, but there has to be a better way. Rolex is just forcing their AD’s to treat customers poorly, thus ruining the experience, thus driving more people to grey or preowned market. Strange
Old 18 June 2019, 09:00 PM   #9
playford
"TRF" Member

The outer sleeve and bezel protector are AD packing, no?

This all sounds a bit handbags, unless your flipping.

The whole drama with hang tags and stickers has just gotten insane.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:18 PM   #10
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
The outer sleeve and bezel protector are AD packing, no?

This all sounds a bit handbags, unless your flipping.

The whole drama with hang tags and stickers has just gotten insane.

But the AD obviously deem it important enough to stop you having it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:24 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I very nearly walked!!

So then why did you not walk?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:31 PM   #12
playford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
But the AD obviously deem it important enough to stop you having it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shipping plastic container isn't included either.

People seem to go so over the top about this stuff. An AD has sourced them a hard to get watch. To me, I'd expect the stickers removed, It sized to my wrist and supplied with the Rolex box. Your buying a watch to be worn.

All of this stuff is really only of interest to someone who wants to flip it and justify how NIB it is. AD's don't want to sell to these people anyway.

The fact people talk about storming out of shops and entitled rants about "being treated like garbage" is a bit strong. I have sympathy about the warranty cards, but that's a response (I don't know how useful) to the grey market nightmare that sports Rolex has become.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:35 PM   #13
dwjpaypal
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased two hot models from M&W Regent Street.

I found the service to be nothing but pleasant and enjoyable.

Yes, they took off the stickers and kept the warranty card, but gave me a photocopy of the card.

They said they know the current market and situation, and want the watches to go to people who will enjoy them. I don't care about the card, I'll pop in and collect in 12 months.

They even said they want to make the experience as enjoyable as possible, and thats why they now provide an additional 5 years on all Rolex's sold, and have even gone so far as getting little plastic warranty cards printed up that they place in the Rolex booklet where the Rolex card usually sits.

I was given the outer sleeve, and I didn't ask for the bezel protector or coffin so can't comment on those, but I believe they're dealer items anyway and has always been up to the AD to let them go if they want to.

I suggest this was a failing in the relationship with the actual sales rep, rather than the whole M&W dealership.
dwjpaypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:40 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Lose the emotion, smile and say you understand and collect your new watch from an AD at msrp. So what if they told you the flipper stories and anything else. Tell them you would like to be on the list for the Hulk, BLNR, BLRO etc. If it was in my interest to have to put up with what you described for a watch I really wanted, I would. Congratulations on your new watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:54 PM   #15
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently purchased a new Rolex from Mappin and Webb, I was told that no longer are they able to all the end user to have the bezel protector and outer sleeve for green box. This is obviously in addition to the card and stickers.

I have purchase history with this AD and make a point of wearing my watches when I visit, however i was preached to about how much of a sin it is to sell a watch within 5 years, and if I did then I would be banned from purchasing from the group. I very nearly walked!!

I'll be using my other AD from now on, I small independent one. Last time I bought from them, which was last month I got everything bar stickers. They let me have the card and even some gifts, a tie and a few other bits.
How bizarre. I'm not entirely sure what difference all this will make to the flippers and resellers. If someone wants a watch and they realise that the latest tactic by Rolex is to keep back all the little trinkets then they'll just accept the revised status quo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:59 PM   #16
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregShakeshaft View Post
How bizarre. I'm not entirely sure what difference all this will make to the flippers and resellers. If someone wants a watch and they realise that the latest tactic by Rolex is to keep back all the little trinkets then they'll just accept the revised status quo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I don’t think it matters if it works every time. If it makes it just 1% harder to flip that is still a step in the right direction.

Imagine there were no policies (good bad or indifferent) in place to attempt to curb flipping. There would be the same complainers we have now complaining that nothing is being done to protect the interests of ‘genuine enthusiasts’. Can’t do right for doing wrong.
Old 18 June 2019, 10:02 PM   #17
Andygmt2
"TRF" Member

I purchased a Daytona 116519 from another AD and believe that Rolex want the ADs to send the coffin/bezel protectors back (this is the same process with WoS at Heathrow terminals).
Andygmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:02 PM   #18
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
No offence, but almost anyone with a credit card can buy (and potentially flip) a 10k watch. It’s not exactly VVIP status. I’m not saying you should be disrespected, but you are owed no special treatment for spending money in their store either.

It’s easy to bash them on a forum because you know you are one of the good guys, but they don’t know that. Flippers are normal customers, not shady characters that can be spotted a mile off by their hat, sunglasses and trench coat.

It’s their business on the line if too many people flip their watches and it comes back to bite their arse so if a few feelings get hurt because they have to read the riot act to customers, so be it.
Yes,,,
Had the same sort of conversation with my AD at the weekend and how I accept that clients who spend huge and long term clients come before others,,
At least it appears some are trying to counteract the huge number of new “ hot” pieces ending up at Grays,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:10 PM   #19
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Here we go again, is the AD keeping the warranty card the new normal?
OP I assume you paid in full, so you should get everything that came with the watch.
I am not aware of US AD’s keeping the warranty card. What you do with the watch is your business. You are letting this moron AD control you after you have paid full price.
If you bought a house, do you let the seller come stay with you for the next year?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:29 PM   #20
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Here we go again, is the AD keeping the warranty card the new normal?
OP I assume you paid in full, so you should get everything that came with the watch.
I am not aware of US AD’s keeping the warranty card. What you do with the watch is your business. You are letting this moron AD control you after you have paid full price.
If you bought a house, do you let the seller come stay with you for the next year?
There are restrictions on what you can do with your home after you buy it, particularly in desirable/gated communities.

Exclusions can be you can't park on the street, no trucks/busses in your drive, cannot have your laundry out to dry in public view, noise regulations, no BBQs, cannot paint your property a colour that is not in keeping with the community aesthetic (think Celebration, Fl), cannot sell your property to whomever you choose as they must be vetted by the local county body. Just to name a few. They may seem petty but they are part of your contract and there are penalties for breaching them.

The world is full of terms and conditions that impede your freedoms (even in the land of the free!)
Old 18 June 2019, 11:16 PM   #21
harvey
"TRF" Member

OP what reference did you buy by the way? and why?

To me, that is the more interesting read...
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:25 PM   #22
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

If the encounter is accurately represented by what you've written OP, they didn't treat you like shit. They treated you how all Aurum AD's have been treating most of their customers, including ones with existing relationships ever since April 2018. I understand the withholding of pieces of plastic that 99.9% of people chuck in the bin immediately and that cost fractions of a penny to manufacturer is frustrating to some, but it's a condition of sale that they inform customers about prior to purchase. You were entirely free not to buy the watch, someone else - assuming it's an allocation piece - would've happily agreed to the conditions about 10 seconds later. Personally I wouldn't buy dog food from somebody I thought had treated my like shit, let alone a multi grand watch.

However nothing you've said remotely seems like a big deal. Certainly nothing that's worth getting wound up over.
Old 19 June 2019, 12:01 AM   #23
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
I purchased my SD from M&W and received everything including the coffin for the watch and that was without asking. I get why your pi@@ed
Old 19 June 2019, 01:57 AM   #24
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Hi,

M & W Manchester done the same to me a few months back on Sub/C I bought as a present for family member.

No issues from me if it puts the flippers off a bit.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 02:31 AM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I guess it's okay for them to sell your short on what should be yours but not to the grey dealings out the back door. I say it's BS from the start and never was an issue with any of my AD dealings in the past two years. I still do not believe it's Rolex policy and neither does my AD. Would it have kept me from buying? No, but it's nice to have all the bits and pieces. I believe 99% of buyers are not looking to flip anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 03:11 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You said they preached at you and called it a sin to flip, this kind of sermon from a shop is very off putting, I hope they tell you this politely otherwise you fire back at their rude condescending tone, always stand up for yourself.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 04:00 AM   #27
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

I wear the watches i have bought from them every time I visit the shop, I do this so they know I'm not a flipper. I just like to keep all the little bits and pieces, I even keep the fancy paper bag from the shop, it's just how I am.

I didn't walk out because I want the watch, it's a chnr and I've waited a long time for it.

Unfortunately you have to play the game if you want the harder to get models.
Old 19 June 2019, 04:01 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

What’s next, no watch even?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 05:14 AM   #29
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What’s next, no watch even?
Probably collect the watch after 1 year!
Old 19 June 2019, 05:33 AM   #30
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
When I purchased my Bluesy (not exactly a hot reference), they kept the outer box, bezel protector, and hang tag with the serial number. This was at a Barron and Leeds and they said it's their policy. Whatever, it didn't stop me from buying the watch.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote