The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2019, 11:10 PM   #1
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Getting an SD43 from AD w/ No Relationship?

Hello all,

I want to procure an SD43 and am wondering what my chances are of getting it from an AD w/ no history? I have been told to call every AD within a reasonable drive (say 2-3 hours) of me but I really would like to buy from a local dealer so I can "build the relationship" aka spend a lot of coin there.

I don't have any want for PM watches at this time or spending big money on other products. My favorite watches are unfortunately SS watches with blue/black/white dials...which pretty much means I'm out of luck from what I've read.

Thanks
Old 18 June 2019, 11:16 PM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
You just need to go and visit your local AD's in person, don't call or email. Tell them what you are looking for. They will take your info down and hopefully in the not too distant future one will call you. No magic to it, but a little luck is required
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:18 PM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Go in to your local AD (ADs), introduce yourself and explain your situation. See what they say.
There are some genuinely good ADs out there that give great service. Of course there are plenty that aren’t great and might laugh at you but but F them. You’ve just gotta put it out there.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:18 PM   #4
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
You just need to go and visit your local AD's in person, don't call or email. Tell them what you are looking for. They will take your info down and hopefully in the not too distant future one will call you. No magic to it, but a little luck is required
More than one way to skin a cat I guess, thanks for the advice!
Old 19 June 2019, 12:39 AM   #5
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

OP - What area of the country are you in?
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 12:48 AM   #6
JohnnyMack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DeepSea Blue
I got mine in 5 months (I think it was that long) with no relation to the AD. I walked in, left a business card, but was in no rush for it.

The gentleman called me on Friday, and told me it was in and picked it up that evening.

The AD did say it was the first one they received since I asked.

Old 19 June 2019, 12:57 AM   #7
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
You might get lucky OP.

Last November, I was offered one at an AD out of town. I walked in asking to see the Tudor GMT on bracelet (which I have yet to see lol) and the sales guy said he would check the back, then came back with an SD43 and said there is a waiting list for the Tudor GMT.

Really nice watch in person. I liked the red text and the cyclops
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 02:33 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Tough to predict but l believe it's all about timing and you should have a shot at that model. Happy hunting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 07:58 AM   #9
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon2000 View Post
Hello all,

I want to procure an SD43 and am wondering what my chances are of getting it from an AD w/ no history? I have been told to call every AD within a reasonable drive (say 2-3 hours) of me but I really would like to buy from a local dealer so I can "build the relationship" aka spend a lot of coin there.

I don't have any want for PM watches at this time or spending big money on other products. My favorite watches are unfortunately SS watches with blue/black/white dials...which pretty much means I'm out of luck from what I've read.

Thanks
Chances are slim but worth a shot at every AD in your vicinity. It's a gorgeous piece.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 08:14 AM   #10
tufty
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II, Exp II
this is exactly the piece i'm trying to add, would mean a lot to me, Grandad severed in navy, got torpedoed, survived.... lost mum just before xmas last year, we live by the coast... a fitting piece??,,, and the feeling i'm getting from a new AD is pretty good..... my old AD lost their AD status last year,...we'll see?? fingers crossed
tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 08:56 AM   #11
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Chance is whatever number closest to zero (0) .. in my area.

I went to 2 AD. One flat out said Rolex sports model are reserved for their "preferred customers". And the other one has a list, I put my name on it about a year ago. From my last visit, I went from 3rd guy on the list to 5th. At this rate, I would be at about 8th or 9th place by the end of this year ... LOL.

So with that money, I bought 2 Grand Seiko added to the one I already have, looking for the 4th one. With the 3 GS that I have, I am right at about the SD43 money. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 11:51 PM   #12
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Was fortunate to land one about a year ago from an AD that I had no previous history with. He took my details and after that I did not really think much more about it. To be honest I doubted that I would ever hear much more and was not 100% sure about going for one due to the case size. I had a 16600 but thought the SD43 might be a shade too big - at that point I had never actually handled one. When the offer came however and I went to see it, I liked it straight off. Don’t give up on getting one, you might just hit it lucky!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 83DBAB58-14D3-49A4-8F0F-3B26E19B7C95.jpeg (216.3 KB, 442 views)
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:45 AM   #13
asa-gao
"TRF" Member

Your best shot would probably an AD in an airport - I got really lucky a month ago in airport AD with a SD43
asa-gao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:46 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Dress well, indicate you have a professional job and are a serious person looking to Crown a real Achievement with a Rolex. It's an interview now if you want to seriously be considered with no history. If you can offer a tragic back story a la X-factor then even better.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:53 AM   #15
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Dress well, indicate you have a professional job and are a serious person looking to Crown a real Achievement with a Rolex. It's an interview now if you want to seriously be considered with no history. If you can offer a tragic back story a la X-factor then even better.
Man, I'm not one to be on the hate train for this kind of stuff but isn't it a little ridiculous that you have to even consider these sorts of antics for them to take your $10,000+ on a luxury piece of jewelry?

I have a long reaching family connection to the owner of 3 local AD's but it's not like we go golfing together...A call to him can't hurt I suppose but he really knows my dad/uncles, not necessarily me. My one uncle dropped about $150k+ at the one store on a Platinum DD/Gold DD for his wife and a few other pieces...Maybe I should have him call. He loves to chase a deal. Thoughts?
Old 20 June 2019, 01:00 AM   #16
mgarthwaite
"TRF" Member

I have a very good relationship with my AD, but it took two years, they are in Windsor which is a rich area which might why I had to wait so long.
mgarthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 01:36 AM   #17
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Couple months ago I popped into an AD and saw one sitting in the case on a Saturday morning. Thought about buying, tried it on, decided against.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:02 AM   #18
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Worst I have been treated by any AD was when I went in to put my name on the list for a SD43 at my local place a few weeks ago. He took my name and number, but not before he asked my wife how much I had spent in the store, and launching into an explanation on why that mattered. I'm 99.9% sure my name and number got tossed in their special "round file"... on the floor, just past the jewelry cases, near the door to the back room and to the local landfill the next day.

Honestly, that's fine with me. I was pretty put off. Like someone else said, it felt like an interview. I've been offered 6 SS Professional models on cold walk ins while on vacation in the last year, dressed in shorts and a t shirt. Totally casual, no pressure on either side of the counter, just a guy shopping for a watch. 6 total I should say, 2 out of the 4 ADs I visited were nice enough to show me some of what they had in the safe. Haven't tried the SD43 yet, but I was on the fence between the DSSD and SD43 anyway, got the DSSD for now and if I get offered a SD43 and like it in the future, I'll get it then, but I'm not buying the salesman cookies or taking him on a date to get it.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:25 AM   #19
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

From my understand each AD get only a few of these a year. I got mine just on pure luck. I tried to get the 2nd one from another AD, my name was on posted-it note for almost 2 years until this darned AD lost its Rolex status for good.

There will be guys who tell you their ADs got a load of these SD43 every month, ask them to share where or hook you up and hopefully you can get yours.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #20
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Man, I'm not one to be on the hate train for this kind of stuff but isn't it a little ridiculous that you have to even consider these sorts of antics for them to take your $10,000+ on a luxury piece of jewelry?

I have a long reaching family connection to the owner of 3 local AD's but it's not like we go golfing together...A call to him can't hurt I suppose but he really knows my dad/uncles, not necessarily me. My one uncle dropped about $150k+ at the one store on a Platinum DD/Gold DD for his wife and a few other pieces...Maybe I should have him call. He loves to chase a deal. Thoughts?
I would jump on such an opportunity.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:59 AM   #21
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
They are out there...stop and chat
Old 20 June 2019, 03:01 AM   #22
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Jeans and T shirt
I make money out of sick people
Can put up a serious face
Saved money to buy a Rolex which I see as an achievement
Have constant neck pain from an old injury.
Saw a Marilyn Monroe film and she had x factor.

I am all set !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:04 AM   #23
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really? I bought my house in T-Shirt and shorts. Ok, let me rephrase that. I commit to owing the bank hundreds of thousands of dollars for the next 30 years in T-Shirt and shorts. :D

And I bought all my cars in T-Shirt and shorts, none of them cost less money than a Rolex SD43, (which is not hard btw, a Honda Civic cost more than a SD43).

I am not going to "dress up", go through an interview, prove that I have a stable income, own my own home, no criminal record, don't smoke and not an alcoholic, just to get a Rolex.

And why would the AD care? Its not like they are submitting ownership profile to Rolex. And Rolex wouldn't give them their inventory allocation based on whom they sold the watch to.

Money is money, I don't think the AD cares where is it coming from.

How I know? Cause I actually know people that keeping buy watches, not just Rolex, to get on the good side of the AD. and he is never dressed up.

What I learn from this thread is that, people do get "lucky" from time to time. But if you want Rolex sports watch, you'd better start spending some money at your "friendly" AD.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:07 AM   #24
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

Yes, use your connection. The worst thing they will tell him/you is that there is a current waiting list and you will be added to it, so welcome to the wonderful world of buying a Rolex at MSRP.

I'm not in the market for an SD43, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the wait lists are nearly as long as the BLRO/BLNR lists, so your chances should be significantly higher.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:25 AM   #25
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Really? I bought my house in T-Shirt and shorts. Ok, let me rephrase that. I commit to owing the bank hundreds of thousands of dollars for the next 30 years in T-Shirt and shorts. :D

And I bought all my cars in T-Shirt and shorts, none of them cost less money than a Rolex SD43, (which is not hard btw, a Honda Civic cost more than a SD43).

I am not going to "dress up", go through an interview, prove that I have a stable income, own my own home, no criminal record, don't smoke and not an alcoholic, just to get a Rolex.

And why would the AD care? Its not like they are submitting ownership profile to Rolex. And Rolex wouldn't give them their inventory allocation based on whom they sold the watch to.

Money is money, I don't think the AD cares where is it coming from.

How I know? Cause I actually know people that keeping buy watches, not just Rolex, to get on the good side of the AD. and he is never dressed up.

What I learn from this thread is that, people do get "lucky" from time to time. But if you want Rolex sports watch, you'd better start spending some money at your "friendly" AD.
This may be partly true, that a "relationship" with an AD is built on your spending lots of money in their store, but I don't think you can discount the idea that sellers of a luxury good are put more at ease by having someone who presents themselves professionally come into their store. It's called a "first impression." Being polite, having a knowledgeable conversation about the products and what you are looking for and possibly WHY you are looking for it (it helped me when I told them it was to celebrate the completion of my Master's degree and the birth of my son, who would wear it one day), and walking away without any real expectation or entitlement of getting the watch you want, those things will help ingrain you with the salesperson.

And why would the AD care? They care because many are just as frustrated that people flip pieces immediately when others who would wear them regularly and appreciate the watch get passed by. There are many instances of people being called even though they aren't "first on the list" or a "VIP" because the AD knew (probably not through telekinesis, but through actual in-face conversations with the buyers) that the buyer wouldn't flip it for a profit the next day.

OP, it's easy to get frustrated and disgruntled with "the system" and the lack of supply, but that doesn't mean you can't get the watch you want. Not every AD plays the games you read about so often on the forum.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:58 AM   #26
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Quote:
LOL @ A la X-Factor... I can't
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 04:59 AM   #27
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

Definitely doesn't hurt to reach out.

FWIW, the SD43 is not an impossible watch to obtain as a first time buyer. I've definitely seen threads here (recently too) where someone was able to purchase one without some insane purchase history. It's not the easiest watch to acquire, but also not like asking for a DaytonaC or SS SkyD as a stranger. This watch is definitely geared more towards a niche market.

Wishing you the best of luck on your search and hope you get one soon!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 05:20 AM   #28
ttman333
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller 43
A degree of patience and humility doesn't hurt. Be courteous and polite. When the AD has a choice then in my opinion they are more likely, if not selling to their big spenders, to sell to someone they like. Just my opinion.

It's worked for me - I collect mine tomorrow after a 3 month wait. Will post pics as without "it doesn't count"
ttman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 05:23 AM   #29
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I love the SD43, hope you found one!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:20 AM   #30
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Go in to your local AD (ADs), introduce yourself and explain your situation. See what they say.
There are some genuinely good ADs out there that give great service. Of course there are plenty that aren’t great and might laugh at you but but F them. You’ve just gotta put it out there.
Good luck.

this was what happened to me. I went in, introduce myself and politely asked if a SD43 is available as I was ready to purchase. I got it in a week.

That was November 2017 so things might be a little different now...
EdwardC is online now   Reply With Quote