The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 6 May 2012, 02:59 AM   #121
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
I´ve used M.Y. twice, BEWARE!

First time I got my bracelet back after 4 (!) months, the bracelet was tightened but still in poor condition because some worn links not replaced (as requested)... Not worth it!

Second time, I simply got an email from M.Y. saying someone cut the box open with my 2 Rolex bracelets and stole them. For my insurance to be valid (since he signed for the box but without content) M.Y. had to file a claim, he never bothered and I couldn´t get the insurance money. I lost 2 vintage bracelets worth 1500USD.

NEVER AGAIN! Watch out!
Old 6 May 2012, 03:10 AM   #122
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Wow, that's not good
Old 6 May 2012, 03:24 AM   #123
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Geez, Sorry to hear.
Old 6 May 2012, 03:51 AM   #124
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFr View Post
I´ve used M.Y. twice, BEWARE!

First time I got my bracelet back after 4 (!) months, the bracelet was tightened but still in poor condition because some worn links not replaced (as requested)... Not worth it!

Second time, I simply got an email from M.Y. saying someone cut the box open with my 2 Rolex bracelets and stole them. For my insurance to be valid (since he signed for the box but without content) M.Y. had to file a claim, he never bothered and I couldn´t get the insurance money. I lost 2 vintage bracelets worth 1500USD.

NEVER AGAIN! Watch out!
Just wondering on the worn link issue...we're you charged for links that were never replaced?

Are you being fair qvput the value of the lost bracelets? Worn out vintage braclets worth that much? Weren't you sending them to MY because there were worn out and without repair had no real utility left?
Old 6 May 2012, 04:29 AM   #125
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Just wondering on the worn link issue...we're you charged for links that were never replaced?

Worn out vintage braclets worth that much? Weren't you sending them to MY because there were worn out and without repair had no real utility left?
Would like to know that too ?
Please tell us . . .

HAGW

Old 6 May 2012, 10:00 AM   #126
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you being fair qvput the value of the lost bracelets? Worn out vintage braclets worth that much? Weren't you sending them to MY because there were worn out and without repair had no real utility left?
First, it was not about him charging for unfitted additional parts, but the issue was requesting a full restoration and only getting partly done.

Second, the bracelets were riveted Rlx submariner bracelets from 50-60s, read up on vintagerolexforum sale section what the price is for a beaten up one.

Look, this was a heads up warning, based on my experience, if you´re happy with M.Y. service then that´s your prerogative
Old 6 May 2012, 12:44 PM   #127
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
First, it was not about him charging for unfitted additional parts, but the issue was requesting a full restoration and only getting partly done.

Second, the bracelets were riveted Rlx submariner bracelets from 50-60s, read up on vintagerolexforum sale section what the price is for a beaten up one.

Look, this was a heads up warning, based on my experience, if you´re happy with M.Y. service then that´s your prerogative
Sounds like the bracelets were beyond repair...
Old 6 May 2012, 02:08 PM   #128
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

Anyone verified that what goes in gold comes back as gold?

Seems like stainless bands aside, anything with gold in it would be a risk to send off into the ether . . . . . that is even a scrap gold band has to be worth a few shekels just for the gold.
Old 6 May 2012, 02:46 PM   #129
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Anyone verified that what goes in gold comes back as gold?

Seems like stainless bands aside, anything with gold in it would be a risk to send off into the ether . . . . . that is even a scrap gold band has to be worth a few shekels just for the gold.
I have not checked gold content but I did make several gold links on each bracelet and photogrhed them...they all came back.
Old 6 May 2012, 04:59 PM   #130
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
Sounds like the bracelets were beyond repair...
No, it didn´t sound like that and they weren´t.

but maybe you should ship all your more or less worn bracelets to M.Y. and evaluate the service for your self
Old 6 May 2012, 06:35 PM   #131
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, it didn´t sound like that and they weren´t.

but maybe you should ship all your more or less worn bracelets to M.Y. and evaluate the service for your self
Maybe he just didn't like your attitude...
Old 6 May 2012, 06:42 PM   #132
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Seriously why are yall jumping on this guy and his misfortune? Seems very mean spirited and opposite of the spirit of the community to vet and get the truth about vendors.
Old 6 May 2012, 06:50 PM   #133
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Seriously why are yall jumping on this guy and his misfortune? Seems very mean spirited and opposite of the spirit of the community to vet and get the truth about vendors.
He seems a bit sarcastic....
Old 6 May 2012, 07:03 PM   #134
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

To be honest :

If MY has signed for the package he is responsible , whether it is opened or not.

The sender has taken full care of the shipment including insurance but the receiver didn't check the package.
I would check HK authorities about prosecuting him, according to the post office he received the bracelets.

Jack
Old 6 May 2012, 10:36 PM   #135
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He seems a bit sarcastic....
Haha, I know you and who you are

The point is TRF´s, ship to M.Y if you want BUT be prepared to loose it all, insured or not!!
Old 6 May 2012, 10:51 PM   #136
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post
To be honest :

If MY has signed for the package he is responsible , whether it is opened or not.

The sender has taken full care of the shipment including insurance but the receiver didn't check the package.
I would check HK authorities about prosecuting him, according to the post office he received the bracelets.

Jack
I´ve tried everything, according to international postal agreements the person who signs for the package is the one who has to file the claim. And since the signer never cared or done that the sender can´t do a thing. If the package has been lost the sender (me) could have filed a claim. I´m not saying M.Y. has done anything illegal, just that he hasn´t done anything to facilitate me getting reimbursed for the loss. Also that his work previously, to me, has been sub-standard.

I´m just happy I didn´t send him an entire Rolex watch for restoration!!

I´ve since then found other business doing watch and bracelet restoration that is more reliable, quicker and better quality both in the US and in Europe, maybe not as cheap but at least they reply to emails and take their responsibility as a business.
Old 6 May 2012, 11:29 PM   #137
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Would like to hear about them
Old 6 May 2012, 11:53 PM   #138
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I´ve tried everything, according to international postal agreements the person who signs for the package is the one who has to file the claim. And since the signer never cared or done that the sender can´t do a thing. If the package has been lost the sender (me) could have filed a claim. I´m not saying M.Y. has done anything illegal, just that he hasn´t done anything to facilitate me getting reimbursed for the loss. Also that his work previously, to me, has been sub-standard.

I´m just happy I didn´t send him an entire Rolex watch for restoration!!

I´ve since then found other business doing watch and bracelet restoration that is more reliable, quicker and better quality both in the US and in Europe, maybe not as cheap but at least they reply to emails and take their responsibility as a business.
I too would like to now who else you have found that can and WILL do this work. as I stated somewhere above, sending a complete watch, or a more valuble amd serviceable bracelet given Mr. Young's communicative issues would be out of the question.

I understand the risks of doing business with Mr. Young as well as anyone else in that part of the world including any form of delivery service there. I took the approach that both my TT bracelets were scrap and I was closing my eyes and placing a bet on Red! It seems I did ok. I am sorry your experience was not however I have no confidence in that part of the world or most anywhere else the established rule off law is not present.
Old 7 May 2012, 01:01 AM   #139
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I am not defending him but my own outlook is: I have used him for years without any problems. I think this is just a very small piece of his business and not worth the headache involved for him anymore to take on new or retail customers. He I am sure has all the business he can handle from dealers who are more than happy to wait and do business the way he has been doing it for years. For new retail customers who require special attention etc I can see him in the future raising prices 2x or 3x and having somebody else doing the hand holding as one says. It is what it is he takes an undesirable band that's basically no good and makes it very good. I have no issues sending him 10-30 (rare) bands and waiting 6 months to get them back.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
Old 7 May 2012, 01:52 AM   #140
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Offcourse

Offcourse everybody sends scrap metal to this guy but shouldn't he be a little cautious when receicing packages with signature.

In my opinion he signed for a package containing two bracelets , I will never sign for a package that was openened.
Nick , you are a seller. When you sent a watch with signature and insurance and the receiver accepts the package opened , what would you say ?

Jack
Old 7 May 2012, 02:27 AM   #141
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post
Offcourse everybody sends scrap metal to this guy but shouldn't he be a little cautious when receicing packages with signature.

In my opinion he signed for a package containing two bracelets , I will never sign for a package that was openened.
Nick , you are a seller. When you sent a watch with signature and insurance and the receiver accepts the package opened , what would you say ?

Jack
I wouldn't accept it . . . .

But it happened . ..

HAGW

Old 7 May 2012, 02:39 AM   #142
piper
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DDII
When I sent my gold bracelet to him, I accepted that it might not turn out that good. I was prepared for that. Sending this to HK - there's not a lot of recourse if things don't go as well as one would hope.

Now, things did turn out great - he was very communicative, took a toast 1986 gold bracelet and made it almost new. My experience could not have been better with MY.
Old 7 May 2012, 03:01 AM   #143
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Well I had two TT jubilee bracelets in need of repair. After reading the positive and negative experiences of fellow TRF members, I decided to be prudent: I sent the worst, least valuable bracelet to him first to see what would happen. As documented in this thread it came back great and I was encouraged to send the second in very late December and again, it worked out great. I was clearly apprehensive enough not to send both at the same time for many of the concerns we all share but only a very few have been unfortunate enough to experieence.

My bottom line; based on my experience i can reccomend Me. Young's services however he lives in one of the many parts of the world i just to not trust very much.
Old 7 May 2012, 04:49 AM   #144
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

I´ve found that there´s actually quite a few doing Rolex/Tudor bracelet restorations but unfortunately not as cheap as Michaels chinese crew. Why not just Google "Rolex bracelet restoration" and check who´s offering it in your state or country
Old 7 May 2012, 05:05 AM   #145
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I´ve found that there´s actually quite a few doing Rolex/Tudor bracelet restorations but unfortunately not as cheap as Michaels chinese crew. Why not just Google "Rolex bracelet restoration" and check who´s offering it in your state or country
Wow...that was helpful.......especially in light of .....

Quote:

Well this thread has gone one quite a bit now with comments and evidence pro and con and i have offered my thoughts and personal experiences for all to judge. There is probably enough information for fellow TRF members to make reasonably informed decisions about this particular vendor and his services.

I for one will be enjoying my now tight jubilee bracelets and will use Mr. Young again in the future needed unless "KarlFr" decides to " un-classify" the "more reliable, quicker and better quality" vendors (whom Ii would do busimess with in a heartbeat) he has found or another TRF member comes up with a recommendation/referral for a vendor who does the same or better work in the US or Europe.

"Is it safe to send your stretched and worn bracelet to Mr. Young in Hong Kong?" Maybe, maybe not, I guess it just depends

Cheers!
Old 7 May 2012, 08:24 AM   #146
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Just a final tht ought on the subject....Mr. Young used FedEx International to ship my bracelets back to me both times. I asked for a address from him that I could use FedEx to ship my second bracelet out to him as well.

Clearly he has little faith in the postal system and I followed his lead. Using FedEx cut down the long delivery time using USPS when I shipped my first bracelet to him and by KarlFr's account, was a lot more secure as well.

Food for thought....
Old 8 May 2012, 02:55 AM   #147
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Anyone in Florida?

http://www.bgrayjewelers.com/repairs.htm
Old 8 May 2012, 01:44 PM   #148
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

He wrote back! I guess I didn't wait long enough after all.
It also means he must still be accepting new customers.

Regarding potential loss from shipping. That's an interesting dilemma that probably warrants a look into 3rd party insurance companies that might still provide coverage even if the recipient refuses to submit a claim. Just a thought.

-G
Old 8 May 2012, 01:46 PM   #149
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post

Regarding potential loss from shipping. That's an interesting dilemma that probably warrants a look into 3rd party insurance companies that might still provide coverage even if the recipient refuses to submit a claim. Just a thought.

-G
Ship by FedEx international. That how MY sends your bracelet back to you.

Old 9 May 2012, 04:52 AM   #150
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post

-G

Is 3rd party insurance cost effective, and is FedEx ok with delivering to PO Box´s?

I truly wish you´ll see that bracelet again, and in the condition you wanted it to be restored. Good luck.
Closed Thread