The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2019, 11:33 PM   #1
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Newbie Here - Omega Seamaster 300 SMP vs Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm

Longtime board lurker here.. been window/internet shopping for several months now and the final 2 choices have come down to new Omega Seamaster SMP (2018+) vs the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39, (Inflated prices and scarcity have priced even pre-owned Submariners just a bit out of my range). I apologize if this is a double post for some. I posted this on another forum last night but I'm not sure if it actually posted.

Why then the OP you ask? Sure, it is one of a few Rolex's that fit into my self-imposed budget, but I really like the clean simplicity of it. It does seem more on the dress side at first but I do not think it would look out of place with a pair of jeans either.

Yes, this is not your typical match up since the OP usually gets pitted against the Aqua Terra but the AT did not do anything for me in person after trying it on.

Objective: Looking for 1 versatile (dress up or dress down) timepiece up to about $6-7k budget. This will most likely be a one and done purchase for a while (10+ years). This is also my first higher end purchase. I like both choices with the black dial.

I currently wear a 41mm Seiko SNZF17 as my daily and its more than adequate. My life and job are super casual. I'm in I.T. so I'm in jeans or shorts 95% of the year, although on the occasions where I do need the dress for (weddings, parties, etc), my selection should not look out of place. I also entertained the new Tudor Black Bay Pepsi GMT and while I would love to own one someday, it does not seem quite as versatile for this objective.

Observations: Visited 2 Rolex ADs and 1 Omega Boutique this weekend in the North/Central Jersey area. Regarding the Rolex ADs, you guys and gals were not kidding about the "scarcity" and bare displays. The only piece of note at the first Rolex AD was a lonely Milgauss which I imagine would not last long. The second AD was a bit standoff-ish and barely had any time to discuss anything. The salesman even made a smirk when I said I lived in Toms River. We were in the Short Hills Mall. The New Jersey people here will understand.

Both Rolex ADs said OPs are a model that can be ordered and take about 6 weeks to arrive if I chose to go that route.

Onto the Omega Boutique and the experience couldn't be more different. The manager greeted my significant other and I and proceeded to give us a tour of the place. We BS'ed for a while as I tried on several pieces and was even given some champagne and an extra small bottle to take home. I did not make a purchase but we both left with the impression that Omega really wants to earn my business.

Decision: While I have not fully made up my mind, I have been leaning Omega (hence posting this on the Omega sub-forum) before this weekend and I am still leaning Omega now. I have a 7.25 inch wrist and while the OP 39 is not small by any means, the SMP looks and feels a bit better. I know a lot of Omega owners also own or have owned Rolex so I am interested in any and all of your feedback. Will I have Rolex buyers remorse going with the Omega? Will I miss the more casual look going with the Rolex? Maybe there is something I'm missing in my thought process or even a third brand I should be looking into.

Any thoughts, comments and criticisms are welcome. Thank you all in advance! (sorry for the long post)
Jsquared123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 06:30 PM   #2
chrisb57
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 / 114300
I own a OP 39 Rhodium, it’s a great piece for sure. An aqua terra would be it’s Omega counterpart. The SMP 300 is a fine looking thing for sure .
chrisb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:45 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go with the Omega hands down and twice on Sunday. A great watch and I like it significantly more than the OP39. With that said, you should ask for a discount of 10-20% on the Omega and if they will not budge go the Trusted Seller route here on TRF. Most of our big sellers have the Omega's on their websites for a discount and if you will go slightly pre-owned you can save more. I think you will enjoy the Omega more if you get it at the right price. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:06 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Interesting options to choose between!

I wear an OP39, and I have considered the new Seamaster, but I think the OP39 is more of my kind of watch because:

1) The OP39 strikes the perfect balance between sportiness and casual elegance. The all-satin finish on the bracelet is set off by beautifully polished parts on the case. It goes anywhere and does anything, looking great for all occasions. The Seamaster offers a bit more raciness, while the Oyster Perpetual is a more traditional, perhaps more enduring style.

2) I'm not a diver, and while some diver's watches are truly handsome pieces, I feel like the sporty/casually elegant OP30 is more appropriate for me.

3) I strongly prefer the Rolex Oyster bracelet to the Seamaster's bracelet, mainly because of the old-school, traditional taper from 20mm at the lugs down to 16mm at the clasp. The Seamster's clasp does come with an excellent micro-adjustment mechanism that the Rolex's clasp lacks, but a proper Rolex Oyster bracelet and clasp are tough to beat, I think.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:24 AM   #5
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would go with the Omega hands down and twice on Sunday. A great watch and I like it significantly more than the OP39. With that said, you should ask for a discount of 10-20% on the Omega and if they will not budge go the Trusted Seller route here on TRF. Most of our big sellers have the Omega's on their websites for a discount and if you will go slightly pre-owned you can save more. I think you will enjoy the Omega more if you get it at the right price. Good luck.
I should have also noted that I do have a dealer friend that will do 20% off, no tax on a brand new, ordered directly from Omega piece.
Old 13 June 2019, 06:32 AM   #6
3HandsNoDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
It seems like you already prefer the diver style. It also seems like your heart says Omega. So that’s settled. As mentioned above, the Aqua Terra 8900 might even be a stylistic middle-ground between the two as well!

However - you can almost get two Omegas for the price of an OP39 if you buy em right. I love Omega, but buying one new from a boutique at no discount isn’t something I can recommend. Definitely look into buying from a trusted seller here.
3HandsNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:41 AM   #7
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I own both OP39 Red Grape and Blue SMP300, and I vote Omega! Both are great but the quality of the Omega is fantastic and it’s more sporty
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3D0CFDB2-3A64-4129-BDA2-AEF6749152D2.jpeg (95.5 KB, 948 views)
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:25 AM   #8
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Both great. I have a Milgauss and the new Seamaster. If I had to pick just one, my head would probably explode trying to decide.

The OP in 39 is classic. The SMP gives you a lot more for your money and you'll probably keep a few bucks in your pocket as well, as it can be found with a discount.
Old 13 June 2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I would say go with Rolex OP.
You can really dress up or down and could be a go anywhere do anything watch.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:27 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think the OP is more versatileb so I'd probably go that way as one and only for foreseeable future.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Smahazilla
"TRF" Member

Agree that the Omega boutique is much friendlier and welcoming, but please be aware the resale value of Omegas are horrible compared to what you pay at the boutique versus what you can get for trade in (for a future Rolex). You just can’t beat the value of a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smahazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 11:39 AM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
..If I had to pick just one, my head would probably explode trying to decide...

ha! Truly the plight of the WIS !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 02:10 PM   #13
wetoey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP and JLC
Having owned both SMP Blue and OP39 Black for different time and have quite similar wrist size with yours, this is difficult choice to make. Below are my opinion to these two pieces.

OP39 Pros: Timeless design, more versatile to dress up or down, very comfortable bracelet
Cons: Size a bit too small for me but still acceptable, no adjustable clasp or easy link, no date

SMP Pros: Ceramic bezel and dial, adjustable clasp, perfect size for me, better value overall, better fit for casual look
Cons: Design can be dated and easily to get bored, non-tapered bracelet and not comfortable as Oyster

In summary, if I have to choose only one to wear, I might to with OP39 even it has no date but I think it will better fit for all occasions and never get bored easily.
However, I suggest you to expand your budget a bit to go for Sub no-date or ExII 42mm. Those two may fit you more for everyday use and 10 years+ of wearing one watch
wetoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:55 PM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

For a one watch daily wear that tut okay ri keep for a long time , strongly recommend OP. Much more versatile and comfortable IMO (and I own a SM300). Classic styling , will never seem outdated. Will
Look nice dressed up or down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:40 AM   #15
jeffahn
"TRF" Member

My vote is for a white or black dial OP of the 2. Far more versatile and the perfect size. Or if you can consider, the Explorer. Same case, but with the better (more adjustable) clasp.

Also, yes I agree w/ your experiences at the Short Hills OB and the one Rolex AD ... i've been in ST a few times and at best, I've had a lukewarm experience. The OB there however, are fantastic.
jeffahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:52 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Seamaster has timing bezel, lume, and the date.

This is not even a fair comparison.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 08:33 PM   #17
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Rolex, for me.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 09:07 PM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Op
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 05:56 AM   #19
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Both good choices. If you are not in love with either then wait (as it is a big investment) and see if something else catches your eye. The Explorer 1 is the same size as the OP but has a bit more design to it. Might we worth a look. I always like Rolex because they hold their value so well. Good luck to you!
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 08:23 AM   #20
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Seamaster Diver 300.
Old 21 June 2019, 08:29 AM   #21
tsquared
"TRF" Member

the OP is definitely a more "timeless" look. both are excellent watches, but the OP (and the oyster bracelet) will definitely feel a little more solid and smooth in terms of operation, in my experience. however, at this point it's more splitting hairs -- the OB will definitely give you a better experience.
tsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 05:06 PM   #22
Justindo
"TRF" Member

For a one and only watch, the OP 39mm in white would be my choice but I'm usually in business casual with jeans on weekends and suits somewhat regularly. If you live on the Jersey Shore and you're in jeans and shorts 95% of the time, however, the Seamaster might be the better fit because it dresses down better and looks fine with business casual and, in a pinch, with suits. The Seamaster has the advantage of having a ceramic bezel, which won't show the scratches like the polished rounded bezel of the OP, and it's useful for timing things. It also has a date, which can be useful in a one and only watch. The quality of the two pieces is comparable and the Seamaster is much more wallet friendly and is a classic as well.

As someone above mentioned, you might also consider a no date Submariner, which is the quintessential dive watch, or the Explorer, but these are both more expensive than the OP and are harder to get these days.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 05:33 AM   #23
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

OP, I adore both watches, currently own an OP 39 and will own a black/sedna SMP in about a month, but I think you should think a little about what you're purchasing. You mentioned you currently have a seiko, and after looking up the model, it's a black dive watch...Originally, I was going to say get the SMP, as it's extremely versatile, and you can change b/w the stainless bracelet and a rubber strap for different situations. BUT, you have a black dive watch. You need to add variety to your collection, not add similar looking pieces with different brand names. Based on this, I think the black OP 39 is your choice! Or have a look at a 214270.
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 05:42 AM   #24
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Just another thought - you may look at introducing some color variance as well. I have the blue OP, and based on the lighting, it can look anywhere from black, to grey, to a vivid blue green. The watch is just gorgeous and does go with anything from shorts and t shirt to a suit.

Best of luck whatever you choose

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8834.jpg (274.1 KB, 586 views)
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 06:07 AM   #25
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Between the two, I would go SMP. It's so much more watch for the money, BUT only for the right price.
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 07:34 AM   #26
3HandsNoDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I just traded my white dial OP for an Aqua Terra and a fistful of cash. I prefer the AT, even if they were equally priced. Do check out the 38 and 41mm with the new rubber bracelets, they’re magical.
3HandsNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 11:11 PM   #27
lowprofile
"TRF" Member

If you really want the sub you can go the 16610 route at that budget.

I have both the 16610 and the smp 300 black dial 2019.

Im impressed with the smp compared to the 16610 when compared side by side. but the rolex should be more comfy to wear.

You can put a rubber bracelet on the omega and it should be more comfy due to the lightness which is subjective.

I dont feel that the steel bracelet on my omega is uncomfortable more or less than my 16610.

good luck
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 01:53 AM   #28
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared123 View Post
Longtime board lurker here.. been window/internet shopping for several months now and the final 2 choices have come down to new Omega Seamaster SMP (2018+) vs the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39, (Inflated prices and scarcity have priced even pre-owned Submariners just a bit out of my range). I apologize if this is a double post for some. I posted this on another forum last night but I'm not sure if it actually posted.

Why then the OP you ask? Sure, it is one of a few Rolex's that fit into my self-imposed budget, but I really like the clean simplicity of it. It does seem more on the dress side at first but I do not think it would look out of place with a pair of jeans either.

Yes, this is not your typical match up since the OP usually gets pitted against the Aqua Terra but the AT did not do anything for me in person after trying it on.

Objective: Looking for 1 versatile (dress up or dress down) timepiece up to about $6-7k budget. This will most likely be a one and done purchase for a while (10+ years). This is also my first higher end purchase. I like both choices with the black dial.

I currently wear a 41mm Seiko SNZF17 as my daily and its more than adequate. My life and job are super casual. I'm in I.T. so I'm in jeans or shorts 95% of the year, although on the occasions where I do need the dress for (weddings, parties, etc), my selection should not look out of place. I also entertained the new Tudor Black Bay Pepsi GMT and while I would love to own one someday, it does not seem quite as versatile for this objective.

Observations: Visited 2 Rolex ADs and 1 Omega Boutique this weekend in the North/Central Jersey area. Regarding the Rolex ADs, you guys and gals were not kidding about the "scarcity" and bare displays. The only piece of note at the first Rolex AD was a lonely Milgauss which I imagine would not last long. The second AD was a bit standoff-ish and barely had any time to discuss anything. The salesman even made a smirk when I said I lived in Toms River. We were in the Short Hills Mall. The New Jersey people here will understand.

Both Rolex ADs said OPs are a model that can be ordered and take about 6 weeks to arrive if I chose to go that route.

Onto the Omega Boutique and the experience couldn't be more different. The manager greeted my significant other and I and proceeded to give us a tour of the place. We BS'ed for a while as I tried on several pieces and was even given some champagne and an extra small bottle to take home. I did not make a purchase but we both left with the impression that Omega really wants to earn my business.

Decision: While I have not fully made up my mind, I have been leaning Omega (hence posting this on the Omega sub-forum) before this weekend and I am still leaning Omega now. I have a 7.25 inch wrist and while the OP 39 is not small by any means, the SMP looks and feels a bit better. I know a lot of Omega owners also own or have owned Rolex so I am interested in any and all of your feedback. Will I have Rolex buyers remorse going with the Omega? Will I miss the more casual look going with the Rolex? Maybe there is something I'm missing in my thought process or even a third brand I should be looking into.

Any thoughts, comments and criticisms are welcome. Thank you all in advance! (sorry for the long post)
Jsquared123 I hope you are still checking in on this post.

I was actually just at the Short Hills Mall yesterday and I know the salesman you are talking about. I walked in and looked around for a while. He asked what I wanted. I told him any stainless steel sports?

Him - Sure. This solid gold sub!
ME - No no, Steel subs, explorers, explorer II's, GMT's or Airkings.
Him - no.
ME - What about a Oyster P...
Him - 39mm?
ME - Yes!
Him - No.

He was nice to me because I was really abrupt with him.

I did go into Omega as well and I have to say again they blew me away with the PO GMT. I'm working on buying one as I write this.

Is Rolex doing poorly? Absolutely NOT. They are killing it but that said if Victor Vescovo had gone into a ROLEX boutique and bought a DeepSea then I'm sure Omega would not be the record breaker.

Being available allows your watches to be worn by people who need them professionally.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 12:10 PM   #29
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
Jsquared123 I hope you are still checking in on this post.

I was actually just at the Short Hills Mall yesterday and I know the salesman you are talking about. I walked in and looked around for a while. He asked what I wanted. I told him any stainless steel sports?

Him - Sure. This solid gold sub!
ME - No no, Steel subs, explorers, explorer II's, GMT's or Airkings.
Him - no.
ME - What about a Oyster P...
Him - 39mm?
ME - Yes!
Him - No.

He was nice to me because I was really abrupt with him.

I did go into Omega as well and I have to say again they blew me away with the PO GMT. I'm working on buying one as I write this.

Is Rolex doing poorly? Absolutely NOT. They are killing it but that said if Victor Vescovo had gone into a ROLEX boutique and bought a DeepSea then I'm sure Omega would not be the record breaker.

Being available allows your watches to be worn by people who need them professionally.
Ha! I'd have to check the business card to see who I dealt with but it's just so off-putting to walk into any AD and get the "oh why are you wasting my time treatment" from the salesperson. I've been to 3 in the area and Leonardo Jewelers in Red Bank was the best. I walked in as a nobody and despite the fact I had no history there, the salesman and I still struck up a nice convo. They didn't have much in terms of Rolex but I tried on a few Tudors and was pretty impressed. I would definitely go back.

Not to turn this into an AD review, I'm still considering both from my original post. Basically it's down to the OP at MSRP, 4-6 week wait or 20% off the SMP from an AD. I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten so far! I will definitely try to keep my eye on this thread and will most definitely update with my decision and pics!
Old 3 July 2019, 12:18 AM   #30
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared123 View Post
Ha! I'd have to check the business card to see who I dealt with but it's just so off-putting to walk into any AD and get the "oh why are you wasting my time treatment" from the salesperson. I've been to 3 in the area and Leonardo Jewelers in Red Bank was the best. I walked in as a nobody and despite the fact I had no history there, the salesman and I still struck up a nice convo. They didn't have much in terms of Rolex but I tried on a few Tudors and was pretty impressed. I would definitely go back.

Not to turn this into an AD review, I'm still considering both from my original post. Basically it's down to the OP at MSRP, 4-6 week wait or 20% off the SMP from an AD. I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten so far! I will definitely try to keep my eye on this thread and will most definitely update with my decision and pics!
I'll have to make a trip to Red Bank, I keep hearing how nice it is to shop in that area. I haven't been since I was in college.
I'll go in the winter when it's dead.

Tudor discounts can be tricky. I walked into the Garden State Mall where a store was going out of business and had huge discounts on everything but Tudor.
Then Kodac in Hoboken had 3 Tudor Rangers (I've bought from them before) and they would not discount. If they did I would have bought one on the spot.
Then the same store around Dec sends me a coupon for 15% off anything in the store including Tudor.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote