The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Do we like Rolex scarcity?

Yes, would members prefer a situation where all .....all.....models were freely available from the local AD? Or is scarcity, and the resulting high residuals, a thing to be desired and welcomed?
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Oliver Mendl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II: 16570
Personally I don't care. But I get a tremendous kick out of watching the craze, celebrating "record breaking" prices/auction results and see people going crazy and speculating about what all of that means.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Old 18 June 2019, 05:42 PM   #3
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Yes, would members prefer a situation where all .....all.....models were freely available from the local AD? Or is scarcity, and the resulting high residuals, a thing to be desired and welcomed?
Of course we like it. Means our purchase holds its value and long term is an investment.
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:44 PM   #4
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
Of course we like it. Means our purchase holds its value and long term is an investment.
agreed
Old 18 June 2019, 05:45 PM   #5
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I personally don’t like it. But one good thing to come out of it is that it’s opened my eyes to other brands.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

If they were freely available then you’d be upset paying a lot for a watch and see the value falling!
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:02 PM   #7
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex71168 View Post
If they were freely available then you’d be upset paying a lot for a watch and see the value falling!
Very true.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:12 PM   #8
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Well yes, but then why all the threads complaining about the lack of supply? It can sound as if people want shortages, but not for them.....
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:12 PM   #9
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex71168 View Post

And yet I continue to purchase Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:16 PM   #10
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Yes they don’t seem to hold their value ��
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:30 PM   #11
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
Thank you. This.

And it's not hurting dealers. Dealers are selling more than ever. It may be annoying to salespeople who constantly have to turn customers away and answer 50 questions a day, but they're selling just as many or more than ever due to the supremely high demand and hype out there.
Old 18 June 2019, 06:44 PM   #12
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Well yes, but then why all the threads complaining about the lack of supply? It can sound as if people want shortages, but not for them.....
With the grey prices so high, people want to buy at MSRP instead because it’s both easy to flip for profit and a no risk purchase you can enjoy for years, so they decry the ‘shortage’ which they feel is cheating them out of a bargain. Then once/if they manage to buy a SS piece at MSRP they’re, of course, very pleased with the situation! Those who got in the game early and held onto pieces have done well.

Before the shortage/demand issues I was often told it was daft to buy at an AD as it was cheaper at grey dealers and that the ‘AD experience’ wasn’t worth the difference in cost!

Bottom line is, people wants the lowest price at purchase time, and the best chance of residual value once purchased.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:51 PM   #13
peterpl
Banned

No I'd rather we as a community and hobby focus less on maintaining value and on the hobby itself. All this is also adding to very very shady deals happening everywhere along with big money laundering activities.

Horology is a hobby and it should remain as one. Turning into a tradable commodity takes the fun out of it as there are now 90% flippers and 10% true watch nuts that are on TRF for the love of watches.

As evident by the threads its all about how much will my $10k watch be worth in 3-4 years. I hope it reaches $20k blah blah blah. Its the same shit over and over and over again by people who just want to make a quick buck.

As soon as the watch game cools all these guys will be long gone and onto the next "hot" commodity trying to make a buck again.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:55 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
There are many levels of ’availability’.

And then there is ’impossiblity’.

Which do you prefer?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:59 PM   #15
viper
"TRF" Member

While it adds exclusively, I find it unfortunate I cant try on new models and window shop like i used to. These are not investments for me by any means and I really enjoyed the discussions I had while reviewing these with my AD.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:01 PM   #16
grimps
"TRF" Member

I like it , Ive been buying a lot more Role since they've been difficult to get .
The main reason for this is that I can get most things quite quickly at retail price
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:03 PM   #17
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

I like the residual but on the other hand it can make you over conscious about what you wear and where you wear it which does take the enjoyment out of it.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:04 PM   #18
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Yes I like it, even though the only watch I managed to get from my rolex wish list in three months was the Chnr TT Root Beer.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:04 PM   #19
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
No I'd rather we as a community and hobby focus less on maintaining value and on the hobby itself.
Couldn't agree more.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 18 June 2019, 07:06 PM   #20
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Hell no we don't like this situation.well the millionaire members that get all the watches they want from there ad with vip treatment no questions asked then post incomings of the hot watches are loving this situation same as the people showing off and bragging on ig.but us normal guys no way it's a disgrace lol.i can't wait for the bubble to burst it will be amazing then we can buy all the watches we like,but I don't think that will happen for a long while,but imo it will happen
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:13 PM   #21
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Quote:
Turning into a tradable commodity takes the fun out of it as there are now 90% flippers and 10% true watch nuts that are on TRF for the love of watches.
This.
Old 18 June 2019, 07:14 PM   #22
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
No I'd rather we as a community and hobby focus less on maintaining value and on the hobby itself. All this is also adding to very very shady deals happening everywhere along with big money laundering activities.

Horology is a hobby and it should remain as one. Turning into a tradable commodity takes the fun out of it as there are now 90% flippers and 10% true watch nuts that are on TRF for the love of watches.

As evident by the threads its all about how much will my $10k watch be worth in 3-4 years. I hope it reaches $20k blah blah blah. Its the same shit over and over and over again by people who just want to make a quick buck.

As soon as the watch game cools all these guys will be long gone and onto the next "hot" commodity trying to make a buck again.
So you think Rolex cares more for the 10 % Hobby-buyers or for the 90% collectors, investors, flippers, free riders?!

Get real man!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:16 PM   #23
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
So you think Rolex cares more for the 10 % Hobby-buyers or for the 90% collectors, investors, flippers, free riders?!

Get real man!
Who said anything regarding what Rolex cares about? Was that part of OP's question?

"Get real man" - Nice...

I've been a member on this forum for 10 years. The change here is massive compared to how it used to be. Facts.
Old 18 June 2019, 07:18 PM   #24
Scanspeakman
"TRF" Member

I dont like it at all. Companies should be treating us (consumers) better to buy a, in its essence, outdated product (mechanical watch) made from relatively cheap material (steel) for usd10.000.

And scarcity is relative in the case of Rolex; they still produce 100.000’s of watches a year. So its not a case of scarcity but more of an old fashioned bubble, helped by low interest rates (no return on investment). So people turn to other things; watches, old cars, arts, bitcoin; all fetch record prices or did so in the recent past. And bubbles have one thing in common; they will pop. And this will happen with the current Rolex crazyness as well.

I cant wait until that happens and things go back to normal. That you can walk into an AD and try a couple of models, think about it for a night, maybe try them on a second time and then buy when you are ready. No waitlists, building a relationship with an AD (they should be begging us, not the other way around) and all that crap. And when it holds 50-70% of its value afterwards, that already pretty decent.

Scanspeakman
Scanspeakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:22 PM   #25
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
We spoke to European Sales Manager on a Rolex Event in Malaga, he said problem is demand, they can not produce more watches.

I prefer also scarcity. You can always find a way to get a Rolex even with scarcity.

Thanks

N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:22 PM   #26
HappyFish
Banned

The forum is a mirror and the self declared watch enthusiasts arent the better members nor the better buyers!

Sorry for get real-it shouldnt be missunderstood-maybe my english isnt always good enough to express it the way i would do so in my mother language!
Old 18 June 2019, 07:22 PM   #27
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
And there's is no scarcity either greys have tons and tons of the hot watches,ads are causing the problem more than rolex because they are selling all there watches to the evil greys.so I blame the ads And the flippers and of course the greys
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:27 PM   #28
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
Get real man!
I never said that. All I'm saying is the community and the hobby is crap now because of people flipping and ONLY being round here for that reason only.

They don't contribute anything substantial to the forum or to the knowledge, they just continue to create threads on how much their Hulk or BLRO will be worth in another 12 months time. Then create another thread saying the gray dealer just offered them lower than MSRP and how they didnt make any money....lol

Stuff like that which is everywhere. Just search the last 1 month and see how many threads are along these lines. I seriously cant wait for this bubble to burst. I really hope it does soon actually and we get back to the REAL reason why we are here and thats the hobby of watches, their movements and the intricate details of their workings and discussing the technical marvels behind them.

I seriously dont care how much my LV or BLNR or whatever is worth and I hope everyone in this game purely for flipping gets left holding the bag when things start going south.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:28 PM   #29
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

What scarcity?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:31 PM   #30
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
I never said that. All I'm saying is the community and the hobby is crap now because of people flipping and ONLY being round here for that reason only.

They don't contribute anything substantial to the forum or to the knowledge, they just continue to create threads on how much their Hulk or BLRO will be worth in another 12 months time. Then create another thread saying the gray dealer just offered them lower than MSRP and how they didnt make any money....lol

Stuff like that which is everywhere. Just search the last 1 month and see how many threads are along these lines.
With this i agree 100%!