The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 August 2016, 08:32 PM   #1
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Help identify crown and tube - 5513

Hi,

I have an issue with my 3.0m 5513. The crown does not screw in and my watchmaker claims the crown and tube arenīt matching. Can someone please give me their insights on this as I feel a bit lost on the subject. For me it seems to be the first version triplock without the external o-ring on the tube. 701 or 702? Iīm guessing it is the original crown as Rolex started using the triplock in the early 70īs and this watch is from 1971. Movement seems to be untouched and the caseback has no service marks.

Any feedback and/or tips to fix this is greatly appreciated. What tube do I need for this crown? I was certain a 7020 but on the other hand this is what I believe is used.. Maybe itīs just the threads which are done or something?

roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 11:18 PM   #2
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I once had a 168000 that had the same looking crown, with actual holes in the "Rolex crown" tips.
Old 28 August 2016, 01:19 AM   #3
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
The crown appears to be a 702 series...

The threads on the case tube appear very worn and it needs to be replaced...

Old 28 August 2016, 02:01 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
The crown appears to be a 702 series...

The threads on the case tube appear very worn and it needs to be replaced...

Thank you John!

Much appreciated
Old 28 August 2016, 03:17 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You need to replace the whole thing.

the holes in the crown tips and dots is from polishing through the metal cap and so those holes will just let oils and crud into the base core.

It is possible that it won't screw down further because somebody has stacked another gasket in the crown without cleaning out the old one, but it does look like the tube threads could be larger than that crown.
Old 28 August 2016, 03:23 AM   #6
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You need to replace the whole thing.

the holes in the crown tips and dots is from polishing through the metal cap and so those holes will just let oils and crud into the base core.

It is possible that it won't screw down further because somebody has stacked another gasket in the crown without cleaning out the old one, but it does look like the tube threads could be larger than that crown.
Ok

Let's try to make it water proof then. Guessing the superdome will let me down but that's ok. A new crown and tube will at least stop things that way.

Thanks
Old 28 August 2016, 04:48 AM   #7
Assquatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
If your watchmaker can't identify what the proper crown and tube are and properly assess the condition of the ones you have and why they don't work they shouldn't be working on the watch. Not a criticism of their skills, but more an observation of their knowledge of this department. I can do nearly every Rolex with one arm tied behind My back but if you put a Lange Tourbillon in front of me I'm going to refer you to someone with experience and parts access for that brand and model. Knowing your limits is almost as important as knowing how to do the work. Take it to someone that can do this for you without m you having to do the research.
Assquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 05:31 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assquatch View Post
If your watchmaker can't identify what the proper crown and tube are and properly assess the condition of the ones you have and why they don't work they shouldn't be working on the watch. Not a criticism of their skills, but more an observation of their knowledge of this department. I can do nearly every Rolex with one arm tied behind My back but if you put a Lange Tourbillon in front of me I'm going to refer you to someone with experience and parts access for that brand and model. Knowing your limits is almost as important as knowing how to do the work. Take it to someone that can do this for you without m you having to do the research.
Agreed

In all fairness it is a Rolex AD service center which wanted to replace the old parts with new parts. They mostly work on modern watches but they should probably know a 702/7020 when they see one.. I'm still not going to go nuts when they don't know the old stuff. I am happy to know that they can normally service my vintage movements and that they know me well enough to always ask before touching anything except what we agreed on. In this case I was pretty sure my parts needed to be replaced but I got puzzled when they said tube and crown didn't match.

As I plan to wear this as my daily watch I might as well go for the new crown and tube and keep the old parts aside. It's a bit annoying as I recently cleaned up my parts box and sold off some NOS crown and tubes among other things. Of course this watch lands with this issue just after I sold off my parts..
Old 28 August 2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Assquatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Good call.
Assquatch is offline   Reply With Quote