The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2016, 09:02 AM   #1
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Any XBOX / PlayStation players here?

I have a lot of spare time at home recently for reasons I will not go into, yes this forum helps kill a lot of it..however looking for something else

The last time I played a video game was in 2006 when I had an XBOX360 - this was back when one had to go to the game store and purchase the disc, and the games could be enjoyed without going online. I understand now that the majority of games are purchased online similar to iTunes but wondering if the new consoles / games can still be played without going online or would I be missing out on the majority of the content this way?

It is worth noting that I would only play the single player aspects of the games ... I dislike playing games online as I hate rudeness/confrontation and do not have thick skin ... anyone who has spent more than 15 minutes playing an online game will know what I am talking about when I say playing online would be no fun at all to me

Would probably be looking at modern games in the Half-Life/Doom genre and maybe driving games...If anyone here has a console and has any info to share as to whether it would be worth me buying one I would appreciate it and also which console you would recommend

Thanks in advance
Old 30 March 2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I still play games.

Nowhere near as much as I used to, but I still have all the consoles.

Both ps4 and Xbox one are good.

I usually play single player games on PS4 (until I build a new PC) and multiplayer on Xbox. Leaning a bit more toward the Xbox only because I really dislike the ps4 controller.

It's worth it to get the online services just for the games they throw in every month. Both ps4 and Xbox online are about $50 a year, but you get 2-3 games each month.

As far as playing online, I only play with friends. Haven't heard anyone speak ever since they introduced private chat parties. It's fun if you have people to play with.

There is a new doom coming out relatively soon. Maybe April or may. As far driving games go, forza is pretty much the standard now. Forza 6 and forza horizon 2 are both fantastic. 6 is a simulation and horizon 2 is more arcade style. They are for Xbox one.

If driving games are the priority, Xbox one is really the only choice. For everything else, you can't go wrong with either, but I would give the edge to ps4 for single player games.
Old 30 March 2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I still game a little, but my Son is really into it, which has brought me back into the fun. You can still buy and rent discs. Rarely do I download an entire game unless I'm trying out a demo before buying. I like the physical disc so when I'm done playing it I can claw back a little money by selling it on eBay. We have a lot of consoles but mainly use Wii U and Xbox One. You can also get season passes for games such as Battlefront to keep you going and other DLC with online subscriptions. Endless options and tons of great games out there. Anyway, have fun!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 12:29 PM   #4
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
Love playing the Halo games. I suck big time, but it's fun!

Sent from half way through the Kessel Run using Tapatalk
Old 30 March 2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I used to play Call of Duty a few years ago on PS3. I've been thinking of picking up a PS4 to play COD again.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 02:05 PM   #6
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
Only game I play are COD public games online or private games with coworkers. Once in awhile I'll pick up nba2kx, but didn't this year. Oh, on ps4 BTW.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 02:32 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

PC gamer myself, but use an Xbox controller on occasion.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 05:02 PM   #8
West
"TRF" Member

I still play a little. Plenty of single player games still out there and worth a look. Fallout 4 will eat hours of your life without ever needing to go online but, as mentioned above, online isn't too bad these days - if people aren't on private chat channels you can always mute them.

I'm looking forward to the VR headset for my PS4 due in September. Poor pun aside, I think that'll be a real game changer.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 03:07 AM   #9
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Thanks for all the replies guys yes I remember XBOX being better for driving games now, was do with the triggers on the controllers (used for the throttle) responding to different levels of pressure instead of being on/off buttons...I guess they would be more realistic for shooting games too
Old 31 March 2016, 03:33 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys yes I remember XBOX being better for driving games now, was do with the triggers on the controllers (used for the throttle) responding to different levels of pressure instead of being on/off buttons...I guess they would be more realistic for shooting games too
There is a great rally game called Dirt Rally which has been out on Steam for PC for almost a year now, it's soon coming to consoles. Definitely worth getting if you're into driving games. I have about 80 hours on record now and I still absolutely love it.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 04:22 AM   #11
murph145
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
I play Xbox1 and mainly Call of Duty. I like to bully all the little kids around.
murph145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 05:01 AM   #12
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
PS4 for about two hours a week when the wife is at art class and the kids are in bed...
sco is offline   Reply With Quote