The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 October 2006, 03:38 AM   #61
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But even from very small wis acorns,the mighty oak tree grows Roger.

Yes from a young seedling, this wis was nurtured by the mother tree to become the wis he is today. One day I hope to pass on what I have learned to seedlings of my own and they will hopefully get a nice collection of fertilizer in which to grow themselves....but not the SD I love that too much
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 03:39 AM   #62
topher

Watch: GMT Master II
I bought a TT GMT II in June and thought that maybe I should have waited for the anniversary edition. With that price I would not have been able to swing it. Glad I got my GMT from an AD with a nice discount. No longer have any remorse.
topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 03:42 AM   #63
madformac
"TRF" Member

I'm just glad of the heads up on the price increase so that those WIS of us in the market to buy got in there with plenty of notice.

All thanks to this great forum. I'm sure its saved a good few thousand dollars for our members.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 04:19 AM   #64
RogerF
"TRF" Member

See this is where I think it shouldnt matter if your AD is a good one. For example my AD knows I send ALL business to him from my friends and myself to them. So even if there is a big price hike, they will still give me the old price and a discount as long as the time frame is within reason. If I look at a watch and buy it within a 2 month time frame I am sure they will honor the old pricing. Heck they actually gave me a small discount on my SS Daytona =D
Old 4 October 2006, 05:22 AM   #65
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
See this is where I think it shouldnt matter if your AD is a good one. For example my AD knows I send ALL business to him from my friends and myself to them. So even if there is a big price hike, they will still give me the old price and a discount as long as the time frame is within reason. If I look at a watch and buy it within a 2 month time frame I am sure they will honor the old pricing. Heck they actually gave me a small discount on my SS Daytona =D
You are lucky! They like to shaft us around here. Like "you can't get a green sub unless your a special customer and buy $100k worth of stuff" kind of crap. "Only for our special clients" grrr
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 05:34 AM   #66
mikez97
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post
From the book!!!
Here are the new list prices for the professional models...

114270 Explorer $4,250
16570 Explorer II $5,000

116713 GMT Master II $8,925
116718 GMT Master II $22,750
16710 GMT Master II $5,075

14060M Submariner $4,525
16610 Submariner Date $5,175
16610V Submariner Date (anniversary edition) $5,525
16613 Submariner Date (steel/18k) $7,825
16613 Submariner Date (Serti Dial) $9,975
16618 Submariner Date (18k) $23,100

16600 Sea Dwealler $5,375

16622 Yacht Master 40mm (steel/plat) $8,325
16623 Yacht Master 40mm (steel/18k) $8,675
168622 Yacht Master 35mm (steel/plat) $7,800
168623 Yacht Master 35mm (steel/18k) $8,000-mens, $7,900-ladies
169622 Yacht Master 29mm (steel/plat) $6,900
169623 Yacht Master 29mm (steel/18k) $7,100

116520 Cosmograph Daytona $7,900
116523 Cosmograph Daytona (steel/18k) $12,675

These prices are high but I'm sure Rolex will still sell them - no problem. I'm glad to own the watches I already have.
mikez97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 06:41 AM   #67
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I sadly agree that a large percentage of people would pay $5/6/7/8/9/10,000 for a plain Rolex. They would not think that the watch may have only $300 worth of cost in its production.

The same people who would pay $10,000 for a 11610 would probably not pay $1,000 for the exact same watch if it were unbranded.

The price is in the BRAND and all that the brand stands for, in the perception of this kind of person.

One word of warning to Rolex though.

Do not force the WIS community to turn their back on you. They are the SOUL of the brand and the have a large part in creating the myth of the brand.

Without them there will only be as*holes buying the watches.

Without the people who LOVE the watches, who create the fine community and thus enhance the brand, Rolex would surely suffer in the longer term.

I wonder if they ever considered the value of the WIS?

Anyway, anyone interested in a tin of Rolex baked beans I have for sale, only $1,000?
Old 4 October 2006, 07:25 AM   #68
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I think this increase will help Omega sell a lot of black Bond SMP's. Although I expect Omega to move everything to Coaxial, which will be even more of a price hit than Rolex just did.
I'm still getting different stories from different dealers about what model ranges are going to co-axial, but I think at last check it would increase prices by almost AU$1000, on something like the Seamaster pro. Until these things happen... nobody knows.
But, wasn't there an Omega price jump early this year, if I recall? say around Jan/Feb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Anyway, anyone interested in a tin of Rolex baked beans I have for sale, only $1,000?
Only if you'll throw in a set of free Rolex Bean Spoons!
Old 4 October 2006, 07:30 AM   #69
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
I still want one or two!
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 08:33 AM   #70
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
With these new prices and my watch now being "over $5,000 new" it enters a whole new realm.

One thing for sure, from now on I will demand a discount from my AD!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 10:37 AM   #71
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Well on a positive note if anyone wants to jump ship resale values always increase proportionately when retail goes up!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 12:05 AM   #72
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I'm not sure what to think. I was almost there, but I decided to spend the money replacing my wife's engagment ring. I would have felt like a heel had I bought myself a Rolex before replacing her ring.

But now, I'm sort of screwed. I did all my research and I know why I want a Rolex. I know about the movements, the materials, the craftsmanship, etc. I won't lie. Yes, I do want a Rolex to own a Rolex, too, but it's about more than that.

In Vegas a few weeks ago the guy at Tourneau in the Forum Shops told me about the increase. He said it was due to the price of gold and that they couldn't just raise the prices of the gold models. Personally, I think the SS sports models got the raw end of the deal.

Anyway, I still desperately want my SD, but my God, what a kick in the pants. A 14% increase. That's ridiculous.
Mal H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 12:17 AM   #73
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Ouch those are some BIG prices now........

I just bought a new Z series GMT II black/red here in Macau last month from the biggest AD here. When it was all said and done...it cost me $3875 US......I guess I should stay quiet.

Might buy a dozen more.....
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 03:12 AM   #74
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
Ouch those are some BIG prices now........

I just bought a new Z series GMT II black/red here in Macau last month from the biggest AD here. When it was all said and done...it cost me $3875 US......I guess I should stay quiet.

Might buy a dozen more.....
That's a pretty good price!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 05:37 AM   #75
viper
"TRF" Member

i was just at my AD, SS DJs are $5K now!

that 116200 seems farther & farther away now! LOL
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 09:12 AM   #76
mike
"TRF" Member

Just some randon thoughts on all this,
I also find it a bit over the top that Rolex would interject such a price increase with no improvement to the existing line--whether an improvement to the movement, the addition of a maxi-dial, or what ever.

I know the great feeling one gets when you walk out of an ADs with a brand new watch--with your name on the papers.
BUT...there's really no difference between a new Sub at 5K plus and an F or D series Sub that someone wore a couple times and for whatever reason the watch was not for them.
For that matter an F or D that has never been on a wrist is a new watch. They can be had from reputable on line dealers at much less than sticker.

If one is set on a particular brand, buying anther brand because of price, in my experience, has usually led to wishing you had "cried once" and been done with it.

There are few things in life that can be enjoyed 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week.
The purchase of a timepice you have always wanted is one--no matter what the brand. Just my .02 cents.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 12:14 PM   #77
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
If one is set on a particular brand, buying anther brand because of price, in my experience, has usually led to wishing you had "cried once" and been done with it.

The purchase of a timepice you have always wanted is one--no matter what the brand. Just my .02 cents.
Well said.

I agree that perhaps the price increase would feel better if it came along with improvements. At least it would feel like we would be getting more for the $. Like an upgraded clasp and solid links on some SS models. Or even SEL on the ND sub.

But the "wishing you had 'cried once' and been done with it." Now that truly is a wise comment.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 05:06 PM   #78
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Just some randon thoughts on all this,
I also find it a bit over the top that Rolex would interject such a price increase with no improvement to the existing line--whether an improvement to the movement, the addition of a maxi-dial, or what ever.

I know the great feeling one gets when you walk out of an ADs with a brand new watch--with your name on the papers.
BUT...there's really no difference between a new Sub at 5K plus and an F or D series Sub that someone wore a couple times and for whatever reason the watch was not for them.
For that matter an F or D that has never been on a wrist is a new watch. They can be had from reputable on line dealers at much less than sticker.

Well said, Mike. If one could pick up a late "Y" or an "F" series for a much cheaper price, nothing wrong with that when you look at today's ridiculous prices!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2006, 10:44 PM   #79
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I learned that in college: Buy the best and you only cry once.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 01:34 AM   #80
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I learned that in college: Buy the best and you only cry once.
i agree with you! i wish my future wifey would

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 09:34 AM   #81
RandyS
"TRF" Member

$8925 for the new gmt two tone anniversary version with all the upgrades?? that may be the only good thing about this
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 09:39 AM   #82
RandyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Does anyone find it odd that the new GMT (all gold version) with the ceramic bezel, new movement, solid center, links, and new clasp is CEHAPER than an 18K Submariner without all those features????? Yet, with the TT versions of each, the GMT is more expensive by more than $1000...
they will have many more of the subs to sell, so it makes sense, well, Rolex sense
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 10:56 AM   #83
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post
i agree with you! i wish my future wifey would
Yes but she's hot so we all know why you listen
Old 6 October 2006, 01:11 PM   #84
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Yes but she's hot so we all know why you listen
i agree!

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 01:27 PM   #85
rusi
Banned

increase in prices

Rolex increases prices every alternate year, I feel its unjustified esp. as the increase is quite large & no change in movts.
As time passes by we get used to it, but its not fair & who cares esp. Rolex as they sell alll that they produce.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 05:09 PM   #86
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusi View Post
Rolex increases prices every alternate year, I feel its unjustified esp. as the increase is quite large & no change in movts.
As time passes by we get used to it, but its not fair & who cares esp. Rolex as they sell alll that they produce.

As I have been saying for the last little while this was bound to happen as the US dollar has decline quite significantly in the last few years. Other countries have not seen such a price hike, just the usual few %
Old 6 October 2006, 11:18 PM   #87
ismvli
"TRF" Member

hi guys,

i visited two AD here in Manila. The price has not change and no announcement for an increase.
ismvli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2006, 07:47 AM   #88
D4UK
Banned

Watch: TT SUB LV GMTII
just been into my AD in the UK and yes prices going up here as of the 17th October. I believe they have already gone up but their chain is holding prices till 17th and then the new prices will apply - so if you're thinking of getting on in the next week or so.. get it bought now.

I was quoted that the increase was 8% but infact ot's anywhere between 6% and 11%

Also now in the UK the LV is now the exact same price at the normal Sub Date. £2840 IIRC (up from £2790)

The Steel Daytona has rocketed from £4000 to £4420

these are the only 2 i remember.. i'm suprised that even though it was many years without an increase it's only 12 months since the last one and as others have said without any major product cahnges or justification.

Afterall before Oct 2005 my TTSubdate was £3600 and now it's going to be almost £4500 and my GMTII was £2350 and now it;s close to £2900.
D4UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2006, 08:43 AM   #89
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

My take on the price increase....

I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to purchasing Rolex watches.

Rolex sells EVERY watch they make. I'm sure they don't care that some sit in AD cases (like DJ's) and until they STOP selling every watch they make, they will increase prices. Those who buy Rolex for it's reputation (read that people with $$$) don't care. If Paris Hilton walked into the Rolex dealer on Rodeo Drive, do you think she would CARE the price went up? Will Roger Federer care? Phil Michelson maybe--NOT!! People who frequent Rolex forums are a very small percentage of Rolex purchasers. So...it's PAY or GRAY (market that is). Oh well....
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2006, 08:54 AM   #90
SteveSanders987

Watch: Blue TT Subbie F
well said elton
SteveSanders987 is offline   Reply With Quote