The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2019, 01:49 AM   #1
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Reputable Miami Cuban link necklace shop

So I’m looking into possibly getting a Miami Cuban link necklace. The dealers that people most often mention are cmg, Daniels, Rey’s gold and cash that I’ve heard of. Looking at Daniels- anybody have other recommendations? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 01:55 AM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
So I’m looking into possibly getting a Miami Cuban link necklace. The dealers that people most often mention are cmg, Daniels, Rey’s gold and cash that I’ve heard of. Looking at Daniels- anybody have other recommendations? Thanks!

So you’re looking at Daniels Jewelry in Miami ? I picked one up from them last year. No problems, smooth ordering process, and great quality.
Old 14 April 2019, 04:08 AM   #3
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
So you’re looking at Daniels Jewelry in Miami ? I picked one up from them last year. No problems, smooth ordering process, and great quality.

Yup that Daniels.

Thanks for the feedback.
What kind did you get?

Old 14 April 2019, 04:26 AM   #4
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup that Daniels.

Thanks for the feedback.
What kind did you get?

I went with an 8mm 24 inch.
Old 14 April 2019, 09:05 AM   #5
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Awesome chains, love the design. I had one made in Hawaii back in 2000, with bracelet too. It’s a 7mm, 22 inch, in 18kt. Great chains in my opinion.
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:44 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I had to look it up. In the UK the list HK is called something different. Definitely not as cool as Miami Cuban!!
Old 15 April 2019, 01:17 PM   #7
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post
Awesome chains, love the design. I had one made in Hawaii back in 2000, with bracelet too. It’s a 7mm, 22 inch, in 18kt. Great chains in my opinion.
How's it held up over time? I'm thinking the same thing. Or a 24" in 18K.
Old 15 April 2019, 02:14 PM   #8
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How's it held up over time? I'm thinking the same thing. Or a 24" in 18K.
It is awesome, not a problem one. I have worn almost nonstop 24/7 for 19 years. This is how it looks now. Weighs 87grms and the boulder opal works nice with it. 22 or 24” works good just how far down you want it to hang. Post what you finally get. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D5FB32E1-45CB-4B3D-9755-1F93F85C2A60.jpeg (287.9 KB, 692 views)
Old 15 April 2019, 02:45 PM   #9
YourNameHere
"TRF" Member

Not sure where you are located and what karat you are looking for. But the amount of money you are paying the stores listed above, you will be getting shafted. Just call any Asian jewelry store that only deal in 24k and get a quote. Most will charge you a small premium for 24k and a few hundred to make it. The local store I go to charges me $2 per gram above spot price for 24k. Most will charge $2-8 per gram over spot. The place I go to charges me $200 to make a cuban bracelet below 200 grams and $300 to make one above 200 grams.
YourNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 12:39 AM   #10
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNameHere View Post
Not sure where you are located and what karat you are looking for. But the amount of money you are paying the stores listed above, you will be getting shafted. Just call any Asian jewelry store that only deal in 24k and get a quote. Most will charge you a small premium for 24k and a few hundred to make it. The local store I go to charges me $2 per gram above spot price for 24k. Most will charge $2-8 per gram over spot. The place I go to charges me $200 to make a cuban bracelet below 200 grams and $300 to make one above 200 grams.

Great idea but nothing local that can do it and to make something? I wouldn’t trust them. Prices I’m seeing are a steal compared to a Kay’s or Tiffany’s.

Old 16 April 2019, 06:08 AM   #11
YourNameHere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great idea but nothing local that can do it and to make something? I wouldn’t trust them. Prices I’m seeing are a steal compared to a Kay’s or Tiffany’s.

Just like buying a watch on the forums... gotta do your due diligence. I’m not sure if you travel to SF, NY, or LA for work, but any Chinatown or Vietnamese town will have shops that already have chains and bracelets in the counter ready for sale. The cost of the 18k necklace you are thinking about getting; on your weekend, you can buy a round trip ticket, take UBER to 4-5 shops and buy the 24k necklace AND a matching bracelet be back the same night and still have money left to bring your partner to a nice dinner. Most also sell 18k and you would save even more.

That’s how ridiculous the prices are.
Old 16 April 2019, 06:23 AM   #12
chieftd
"TRF" Member

I had mine made in Chinatown in Honolulu back in 2000. Definitely way cheaper than jewelry stores. Good luck on your search. Cheers, Tim
Old 16 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #13
Swlakengolf88
Banned

Ifandco
Swlakengolf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:27 AM   #14
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I was in the market for one of these, but never got too serious because I honestly have no idea how much these go for, and don't want to embarass myself by striking up a conversation with a jeweler and fainting when I hear the price.

I believe CRM in Miami piqued my interest when he did a youtube video on these chains, but considering how he pushed how his were super high quality and hand made, I assume they're crazy expensive...

Also without having seen them, I have no idea the weights and all that stuff they ask.

I think I'd just look like a fool.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:35 AM   #15
chieftd
"TRF" Member

A place I use now for 23k gold is 23kgold.com. It’s run by an American living in Thailand. He also runs a cat and dog rescue sanctuary and uses the gold sales to help fund the rescues. You can order from them pretty much any style, length, and weight of chains and/or bracelets and they ship to USA. I got a necklace from him last year, not Cuban link, more Thai style. But great artisans, making nice jewelry. His name is Thomas Pryor, very easy to work with to get your order done. If you chat with him tell him Tim in New Zealand says hi. He also has a YouTube channel with information on how to order and the pieces he sells. Cheers, Tim.
Old 16 April 2019, 07:14 AM   #16
YourNameHere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
I was in the market for one of these, but never got too serious because I honestly have no idea how much these go for, and don't want to embarass myself by striking up a conversation with a jeweler and fainting when I hear the price.

I believe CRM in Miami piqued my interest when he did a youtube video on these chains, but considering how he pushed how his were super high quality and hand made, I assume they're crazy expensive...

Also without having seen them, I have no idea the weights and all that stuff they ask.

Asian jewelry shops dealing in 24k will have the price of gold they are selling as of today listed on the wall. Most Asian shops sell gold in “Tael” weight. 1 Tael is 37.5 grams. Ask them how many gram the piece is. Go online (goldprice.com or kitco.com are good sites) for checking the spot gold/gram price. Ask them how much you are charging for workmanship. Subtract the price of workmanship, you will now have the price of gold with the premium they are charging you for the gold. You now can negotiate once you know the price of gold, workmanship and premium they are charging.

18k gold is only 75% gold. So if the 18k piece is listed as 200 gram, only calculate 150 gram.

Most will also buy back 24k at 95% spot. Buying 18k... you will be lucky to get any shop to buy it back even. Especially buying online.
Old 16 April 2019, 07:15 AM   #17
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post

Same here.
Reddit was somewhat helpful. Some of the websites- cmg links, danielsjewelryinc have clear pricing, weights, etc.

There seems to be 3 tiers of chains in regards to pricing

1) brand name or big box retailers- very, very expensive for not much

2) independent shops that specialize in chains with a big internet presence and lots of reviews online. Looks like you can get a 7mm 24” 18k chain for low to mid $4k.

3) independent shops like these Chinatown jewelers- seems like the best deal.

Old 17 April 2019, 07:18 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Asia or Middle East for gold, pay a small bit over spot. USA pricing is waaaay too high.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 07:18 AM   #19
JayAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LN
I recently used Daniels as well. I have an 8mm, 26”.
JayAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:10 PM   #20
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAK View Post
I recently used Daniels as well. I have an 8mm, 26”.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got to get to some jewelry store to decide on 22” vs 24”. I’m feeling that 22” is going to be a tad short.

Old 23 April 2019, 03:08 PM   #21
YourNameHere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got to get to some jewelry store to decide on 22” vs 24”. I’m feeling that 22” is going to be a tad short.

At least 24”, so you can take it off and on without using the lock or undoing the clasp.
Old 29 April 2019, 11:06 AM   #22
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At least 24”, so you can take it off and on without using the lock or undoing the clasp.
Good point- didn't think about that. I don't want to mess with that all the time.

Just ordered a 7mm 18k 24" chain from CMG Links.
Now the wait begins.
Old 29 April 2019, 01:44 PM   #23
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Post it when it arrives. Do you have a pendant for it or just wear the necklace. Enjoy! Tim
Old 30 April 2019, 08:32 AM   #24
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/YM
CMG and Leon have the tightest links for a handmade chain. Rey's has exceptional customer service(Norma his wife usually handles the business side).

I have purchased from Daniel's and Rey's-no complaints with either one.

Might sound odd but I have neck and back issues from automobile accidents and I got rid of the chain from Rey's(it was a little over 100 grams). I cannot wear a chain over 40 grams without discomfort-so I do not wear one at all.

Congrats on the new necklace and as stated before-post pics once it arrives
s2h904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 09:28 AM   #25
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

No pendant- not my style.
One simple gold chain works for me.
Heard good things about Daniels and didn’t hear much about Rey’s until recently.

Now I just have to wait...

Old 2 May 2019, 01:45 AM   #26
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

CMG in Miami is on their own level. If you don't mind waiting close to two months, they are the absolute best. Daniel's is fine too but the quality isn't the same, more like 90%. Don't get your hopes up about follow up or customer service because it's basically non existent. But if you want the best, suck it up, send them your money and be patient. Also, don't get anything wider than 7mm or longer than 26". Personally, I think that 14k is more than sufficient. 18k will scratch and 10k is well, 10k.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 01:46 AM   #27
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good point- didn't think about that. I don't want to mess with that all the time.

Just ordered a 7mm 18k 24" chain from CMG Links.
Now the wait begins.
Might want to think about 25" because you get it over your head fairly easily without opening the clasp.
Old 2 May 2019, 11:11 AM   #28
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just like buying a watch on the forums... gotta do your due diligence. I’m not sure if you travel to SF, NY, or LA for work, but any Chinatown or Vietnamese town will have shops that already have chains and bracelets in the counter ready for sale. The cost of the 18k necklace you are thinking about getting; on your weekend, you can buy a round trip ticket, take UBER to 4-5 shops and buy the 24k necklace AND a matching bracelet be back the same night and still have money left to bring your partner to a nice dinner. Most also sell 18k and you would save even more.

That’s how ridiculous the prices are.
With all due respect and I do mean that, if I'm going to buy a Miami Cuban link chain, I want it to be made by hand in Miami by a Cuban. Same with my watch. Swiss made, made in Switzerland. It weighs 203gm fully linked and I paid close to $40k for it. The money doesn't make a difference to me. Since my DD is Everose, 22k gold wouldn't work and even if it would, I'd destroy it.
Old 2 May 2019, 03:14 PM   #29
YourNameHere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
With all due respect and I do mean that, if I'm going to buy a Miami Cuban link chain, I want it to be made by hand in Miami by a Cuban. Same with my watch. Swiss made, made in Switzerland. It weighs 203gm fully linked and I paid close to $40k for it. The money doesn't make a difference to me. Since my DD is Everose, 22k gold wouldn't work and even if it would, I'd destroy it.
No offenses taken, I’m just trying to help the person get the best deal possible and not get ripped off. If you think only a Cuban can make a Cuban link or Swiss watch companies makes the best watches that is your opinion.

Just because money doesn’t make a difference, doesn’t mean you should overpay. I had my 9” 12mm Chinese-made Cuban link bracelet made in 24k weighing 200.67 grams. I paid $43 a gram and $300 for them to make it, paid just under $9k for it. If I paid $40k for a bracelet or necklace it better be almost 1 kilo of 24k and not 200 grams of 18k, 14k, or 10k.

And with all due respect, even if you didn’t care about the money, sounds like your chain is 18k. 200 grams should only go for $7k max depending on design where I buy gold jewelry. You would have well over $30k for another 40mm DD. Just saying.
Old 3 May 2019, 09:17 PM   #30
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
CMG in Miami is on their own level. If you don't mind waiting close to two months, they are the absolute best. Daniel's is fine too but the quality isn't the same, more like 90%. Don't get your hopes up about follow up or customer service because it's basically non existent. But if you want the best, suck it up, send them your money and be patient. Also, don't get anything wider than 7mm or longer than 26". Personally, I think that 14k is more than sufficient. 18k will scratch and 10k is well, 10k.

Yeah I’m under no illusion that they are going to give me updates. I’m expecting a 2 month wait. However I found some YouTube video where a guy claims he ordered his chain in early March and got it 5wks later. Even after asking to change the length.

Cmg was cheaper than Daniels and only bad thing I’ve heard about cmg is the time it takes and staying in contact. When it comes to the actual product, haven’t heard a single complaint. I can wait and want the best chain for the lowest price.